TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: do you want me to release my last mission? 97% complete

do you want me to release my last mission? 97% complete

Ever since I changed my video card to run the darkmod better, I haven't been able to play Thief. DDFix isn't cutting it. Reasons unknown. Therefore I can't dromed on my computer. If you have any ideas or questions about it, please check my DDfix post here. Note, there is a post or two just above this one too, with a bit of info on my system. Who knows, you may be the one to get Thief running on my comp again. I'd like to release this mission before moving on to the darkmod.

1. Change the drivers for the video card (many people report problems with certain catalyst drivers)
    2. Use Tafferpatcher
    3. Use image.cfg if Tafferpatcher doesn't work
    4. Don't release the mission if it isn't finished

Or hand it over to another author, who can complete it. Someone who knows your style and builds a bit like you. It would be a shame to have a mission that is so near completion never get released.

What about borrowing an old video card (a Readon 9600 etc.) from a friend and use it as long as you're working on the mission?
    But please, finish this mission...
    Last edited by intruder; 27th Sep 2010 at 12:15.

i'd love to see any mission from you, hopefully the advice already given will help. i am curious though, as a non-dromeder, what is missing from a mission that is 97% complete, in your case?

Classical Master 2008
    I'd definitely like to see it finished. Don't you have an older laptop or desktop lying around? I haven't been able to play T2 ever since my last upgrade either, but it still works fine on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Ever since I changed my video card to run the darkmod better, I haven't been able to play Thief. DDFix isn't cutting it. Reasons unknown. Therefore I can't dromed on my computer. If you have any ideas or questions about it, please check my DDfix post here. Note, there is a post or two just above this one too, with a bit of info on my system. Who knows, you may be the one to get Thief running on my comp again. I'd like to release this mission before moving on to the darkmod.
    To add my opinion

Like earlier post, change your drivers to OLDER versions, use the one that came on Card's CD, might be the oldest compatible driver but try older ones if possible, say from 2008.

OR Try drivers for a different Directx version - ie DX 8 vs DX 9 or DX 10.

OR it could be the lack of or the presence of an OS update.

I have a 16:10 1440x900 display with no issues and DO use DDFiX.

I run Win7 64, with ATI HD4650 (DX 9 card) and have no issue with T,TG,T2.

I can NOT run T3 any longer (think I lack an OS update but MS updates killed my Install so I avoid OS updates now, but keep current with video updates, etc.)

Good Luck!

I think it's well worth finishing, as you already know, uncadonego! Your missions are really fun to play and this one is no exception. Hopefully some of the suggestions that have been made will make it possible to run Thief again so you can complete it.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Agreed, please keep plugging away, Don! Moghedian recently got her new rig working with T2 after months of it not working. The thought of an almost-finished unreleased uncadonego mission sitting on your hard drive is maddening!

We promise to be patient, okay (well, as much as is humanly possible)? A new FM by your creative self would be very well worth waiting for, so don't give it up til it's done, please.

Agreed! Is it ready yet?...lol )

YES.

Played all your missions uncadonego and loved them. Another one will be the cherry on the cake

Replied on your issue in the other thread. Hope it helps.

i am curious why you would change card,when you got a fan mission at 97%,dark mod will probably die once thief 4 comes out,i say finish the mission,dark mod missions aren't going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by sysyphus View Post
    i'd love to see any mission from you, hopefully the advice already given will help. i am curious though, as a non-dromeder, what is missing from a mission that is 97% complete, in your case?
    The mission is finished. All components are there. I need to make some sound files where they are supposed to be, set up some require all traps and make objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I'd definitely like to see it finished. Don't you have an older laptop or desktop lying around? I haven't been able to play T2 ever since my last upgrade either, but it still works fine on my laptop.
    My other computer had the sound card removed. Important in Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i am curious why you would change card,when you got a fan mission at 97%,dark mod will probably die once thief 4 comes out,i say finish the mission,dark mod missions aren't going anywhere
    Dark mod was running slowly, but I like what I saw. If Thief 4 comes out, and if it is released with the editor, and if the engine doesn't suck, and if the learning curve doesn't discourage people, then maybe darkmod will fade away. However, the limitations in dromed disappear with the darkmod, and I want to try it. Besides, the mission has been 97% done for an entire year. It wasn't even a consideration with the new card.

Fourth try was the charm. Tafferpatcher has Thief AND Dromed working this time. I DID click the dualcore fix this time (I think), even though I don't have dualcore.

I will probably release this mission. If I start into darkmod, I'll never release it. That's the only reason I haven't opened the darkmod yet.

Thanks for all the support fellow taffers.

Glad to hear that you'll be able to finish it!

@downwinder
    For all we know there is the possibility that Thief 4 won't be much community/FM friendly, I think that TDM is here to stay.
    And what do you mean by "..the missions aren't going anywhere" ?

Classical Master 2008
    Fourth try was the charm. Tafferpatcher has Thief AND Dromed working this time. I DID click the dualcore fix this time (I think), even though I don't have dualcore.

I will probably release this mission. If I start into darkmod, I'll never release it. That's the only reason I haven't opened the darkmod yet.
    I don't usually say this, but if that's the case - STAY AWAY FROM THE DARK MOD UNTIL YOU FINISH THAT MISSION, YOU HEAR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
    Glad to hear that you'll be able to finish it!

@downwinder
    For all we know there is the possibility that Thief 4 won't be much community/FM friendly, I think that TDM is here to stay.
    And what do you mean by "..the missions aren't going anywhere" ?

since there are so few missions out for dark mod,he can finish the 97% fan mission then go to dark mod to see the missions that are out,as they should get better over time,so he can end up learning more from playing those then instead of doing it now,works same way for making missions too

also i would say the majority of people who play thief like the classics missions like thief 1/gold and thief 2 over dark mod missions,so to leave a missions that has a bigger following and would be played by a lot more people,would do your mission more justice.

Gods yes, please do finish it. Your missions are always superb

Just one more sticky wicket to fix, some objects are solid colour. If you can help, go back to the DDFix thread (linked in first post).

Thanks,
    unca

Good news. I really enjoyed Two Fathers and Mixed Messages (haven't gotten to the others yet!), and hope you take to TDM as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk View Post
    Gods yes, please do finish it. Your missions are always superb
    ... all that needs to be said about your missions ! (please finish it/release it, just don't LOSE it !!!)

Archivist
    Yeah, please finish it Don. I really loved missions like "Two Fathers", "Thieves' Highway" and "Chain of Events". I haven't played any of your work lately, but your traditional-thief FMs are all something special.

Hope you solve that issue.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    This is fantastic news, Don! Highway is one of my favorite FMs.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast