TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Fables of the Penitent Thief, by Sliptip and Digi (Nov 8th 2010)

You should just be able to drop it in front of the hole.

That's what I thought too, but no chance. The musicbox should move to the middle of the screen once selected with a right-click, right? For some reason that doesn't happen in my game.

No it's not a tool - you just drop it on the ground

That did the trick! Thanks for the help

Thank you Sliptip for giving me directions on how to delete walls animations! Now i can play the mission.
    So much fun, *crunch*, the frog song was nice, *crunch*, but where is the red key gardener hiding?

i tryed the mission,amazing graphics,although i think the motion should have been kept to walls only and not the ground,once you talk to a person it should not repeat,it should go into objective so you know what to do,i found myself reading the same stuff over and over,hoping for new clues lol

was the dirty doll a dewdrop? if so wow i would have never guessed

No Downwinder I would have known.
    My guess it was a antique doll

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Romashka01 View Post
    Thank you Sliptip for giving me directions on how to delete walls animations! Now i can play the mission.
    So much fun, *crunch*, the frog song was nice, *crunch*, but where is the red key gardener hiding?
    Rope up on the outside reversed garden in the gardener's house. You have to rope up to the grass more than once. Slide into the open spot ....

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i tryed the mission,amazing graphics,although i think the motion should have been kept to walls only and not the ground,once you talk to a person it should not repeat,it should go into objective so you know what to do,i found myself reading the same stuff over and over,hoping for new clues lol
    I disagree. If the floor wasn't animated then the wall animation would have looked quite out of place. If at all,everything should have been animated, but that's of course far too much work. The game reminds me of Super Mario World 2 which had a similar cartoonish style to it and that certainly wasn't too much either.

The information of the towns people certainly would have been easier accessible if it had gone into a journal, but its by far not necessary to get an overview over the tasks. The objectives are clearly listed and the hints are presented in a very memorable way. Also, every text box was enriched with a "more"-tag. Its lack indicates the last page before the text starts over. This was cleverly done. I wish every oldschool RPG would have thought of that instead of making people read the same stuff over and over.

Without the repeating text the towns folk would have looked less life like. Eventually the whole village would have been silent. How unfitting would that have been? The happy place would have felt like a zombie town...a bright one nonetheless. There were also times when I missed part of a sentence due to bad readability so I was thankful for the roll overs.

However, that last point makes me wonder if it would be possible to show the text with a black outline. Thanks to the bright textures (which looked even brighter thanks to ddfix' bloom) the white text was really hard to read unless I positioned myself at an angle with a dark background.

I really wished we could work out a way to have a black rectangle behind the text, but I don't imagine it will ever be possible (well... give it a few years)

I'm really glad to see people are enjoing it for the most part and really appreciate everyone taking the time to write what they did and didn't like. If I ever do another one like it, I'll definitely refer to this thread for the do's and don'ts. Sadly, it just won't be the same without Digi though

Glad you like all the input. You guys really did some outstanding work there

As for the outline: I thought Thief used its own fonts to render text. Wouldn't it be possible to mod the font's characters by drawing an outline around each of them? Then the game would render them automatically in an easily readable form without the need to actually work on the mission itself. This wouldn't require a black text-box then. Also, the free-floating text without a box looks pretty nice.

Just out of curiosity: Those nice "yes" and "no" signs that sometimes popped up behind the characters seem to be all one would need to create a dark background. Imagine letting one pop up above the people's heads with a dark texture every time you talk to someone. That would be possible, wouldn't it?

But don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see such a box every time I talk to someone, because it's hard to imagine how this could fit into this game without destroying its style.

Edit: I fiddled around with thieffon and added an outline to the FM's font. Surprisingly it worked, but the new font has a distorted color and none of the letters match. I guess I should have defined the character code for the first glyph, but I don't have an idea which one that would be since the first cell in the glyph bitmap is empty. Sliptip, is there any chance you still have the original bmp file that was used to make the font including the command line switches for thieffon? I could outline the font without problems then.

Edit 2: Alright, found the correct character starting position. Now all I need is some color correction and the font will be finished in no time
    Last edited by Xiaopang; 11th Nov 2010 at 08:57.

Yes, deleting the files has brought an ideal result. I do no want to say something against your work on moving textures, but I prefer them stable.

Now i can have a look for the hidden man.

Edit: Yes, he is right: As I was a child, I always overran the lines in the painting books. :-) Nice gag!
    Last edited by Anmaron; 11th Nov 2010 at 09:02.

Any one please send me in the right direction for the dirty doll please..

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    Any one please send me in the right direction for the dirty doll please..
    Try the best place for apples

Spoil: Redshines orchard.

Thank you...I thought it would probably be somewhere in there...I've been kicked out three times already.

I cant win...now I'm having trouble with what I can only assume is the seagull puzzle piece in crafty John's house...I have the cat, the dog, the mouse and the fish..all nicely put into the picture...but the last one is eluding me...that and those miniature devils kicking me out...damn kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    I cant win...now I'm having trouble with what I can only assume is the seagull puzzle piece in crafty John's house...I have the cat, the dog, the mouse and the fish..all nicely put into the picture...but the last one is eluding me...that and those miniature devils kicking me out...damn kids.
    Hint:
    Where would you most likely find a bird? Think vertically.

Spoiler:
    Check the highest place of the house, the attic.

Thanks mate...that's where I found the mouse...I didn't think that there may be more than one.

Nope..apart from the journal, I can find nothing else...its says that "maggie" has vanished but will probably turn up, but I can find nothing else...its my old age I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Ravenhook; 11th Nov 2010 at 11:38.

Ok, got it...wrong attic..I didnt realise that there might be TWO..cunning.
    Right just the ring to find in that apple guys place...there seems to be a key to find..

The Architect
    Hey guys, I thought you might like some high-res copies of my sister's paintings.

fablescityscape_watercolor_and_pencil_acrylic_and_pastel_levels

Main menu art: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shirakloutzu/5166674699/
    Animal puzzle (spoiler!) http://www.flickr.com/photos/shirakloutzu/5167271532/
    Making of the animal puzzle (spoiler!) http://www.flickr.com/photos/shirakl...n/photostream/

Her painting style goes very well with the pseudo-cell-shaded style of the game. She did a great job I especially liked the artwork of the animal puzzle. The whole concept is great in general. When I saw this part in the trailer I was completely sold and couldn't wait for the mod to come out.

Did you also let her paint the animated textures?

I was very happy playing this.
    Thanks Digi & Sliptip and everyone else involved.

My favorite was the Gardener's House.
    I had a big smile the whole time I was in there.

Outlined Font

I finally created an outlined font to increase the game's readability. This is especially helpful if you run the game with ddfix' bloom. Here are some comparison screens. The difference is not that visible thanks to the screenshots' low resolution, but ingame it's a difference like day and night:

Before and after:

However, messing with the palette also changed the colors for the menu fonts. Since I didn't know where the menu colors are defined, I left it that way. I actually prefer the new look of the options menu. The save and load buttons don't look too appealing, though. They also don't show an overlay. I'll take another look at the issue tomorrow, but I doubt I can sort it out. Anyway, I think that the outline in the menu does look better than having none. What do you guys think?

Before:

After:

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=80H48W21
    Last edited by Xiaopang; 11th Nov 2010 at 21:00.

Not a bad idea on the outline font, but you might want to run that by Sliptip and/or Digi first.

What a funny and fun game; however those wall textures make me seasick.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast