TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Fables of the Penitent Thief, by Sliptip and Digi (Nov 8th 2010)

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I really enjoyed this mission. I could see how some people might complain about the moving textures, but I didn't mind them, and felt they added to the atmosphere of the village and the style of gameplay. The upside-down house was really well done, probably the best implementation of that I've ever seen in a game. The unique voices of the different characters was also a nice touch. Some of the townspeople's dialogue made me laugh too, and helped suggest the world beyond just that of the player. It all added nicely to the mood of the game. The children's hide-and-seek game was also a brilliant way to cause the player to stick to the shadows.

I'm not sure why, but the rope-beast creature was really the stand-out part of the mission for me. It had the right mixture of stangeness and oddity that made me almost uneasy to encounter and approach it. It really did seem like something out of Cthulu, a bizarre creature from another world breaking into that one.

If I had to find something to critque it would be that the game wasn't linear enough. By that I mean that you could actually find several of the quest-items before knowing the quest/people they were to be used for. To me, this lessened the effect of the "I know what item I need, but how do I get it?" moments. With the apples, I was elated when I managed to find the first one I needed, but disappointed afterwards that I could (seemingly) collect hundreds if I really wanted to. Also, being able to buy rope arrows beforehand, lessened the satisfaction of completing the rope-beast puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    I finally created an outlined font to increase the game's readability. This is especially helpful if you run the game with ddfix' bloom. Here are some comparison screens. The difference is not that visible thanks to the screenshots' low resolution, but ingame it's a difference like day and night[/URL]
    That's pretty cool Xiaopang. I had no idea we could have more than 1 colour in the text. I'm really curious to see what happens if you change the colour with NV's scripts.

It always bugged me too that the text wasn't easy to read against bright backgrounds. If we ever update the missions (assuming Digi's cool with it too) I'll use that font instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    . . .If I had to find something to critque it would be that the game wasn't linear enough. By that I mean that you could actually find several of the quest-items before knowing the quest/people they were to be used for. To me, this lessened the effect of the "I know what item I need, but how do I get it?" moments. With the apples, I was elated when I managed to find the first one I needed, but disappointed afterwards that I could (seemingly) collect hundreds if I really wanted to. Also, being able to buy rope arrows beforehand, lessened the satisfaction of completing the rope-beast puzzle.
    That's a good point Xorak. I must say I've developed a real respect for game designers who make this sort of quest based game. I think Malchy was probably set up the best way (though most ppl would probably have missed it). If you talk to him before you talk to the Gardener he won't tell you anything. The minstrel on the other hand should probably not give you anything until you've spoked with the baker. . . .but that opens up a whole big can of worms.

If I ever do another one like this I'll probably go buy a white board so I can map out the quests easier and try to limit the number of times you have something before you need it.

Everybody keeps mentioning how this FM reminds them of this or that game from years ago. For me, it's the Dizzy games.

You're a bloke starring in a platform game who walks and jumps around a colourful and (mostly) harmless landscape, talking to people whom give out their conversations in short bursts while a cheerful muzak jingle plays in the background. 9 times out of 10 the people in the game want you to do something for them, which 9 times out of 10 results in you getting an item you can use elsewhere and slowly but surely make progress towards the main goal of the game. Very little violence is involved in and everything seems to be family-orientated, even down to the puzzles being simple and somewhat logical.

Did I just describe a Dizzy game or Fables of the Penitent Thief?

Regardless, I think it's a good FM. It's a very good break from the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    That's pretty cool Xiaopang. I had no idea we could have more than 1 colour in the text. I'm really curious to see what happens if you change the colour with NV's scripts.

It always bugged me too that the text wasn't easy to read against bright backgrounds. If we ever update the missions (assuming Digi's cool with it too) I'll use that font instead.
    That's great I'm glad I could contribute something to this cool mission. Being totally new to the whole Thief modding scene, I don't get your reference to NV. Anyway, it seems that you can use 256 colors for a font, which means that you could color each glyph in a Thief font with a different color. In fact, I thought about coloring the outlined font. When I play The Penitent Thief I kinda feel that the text should be colored like the rainbow to fit the style of the game a little better. Guess I'll try that now. Also, any leads on how you guys modded the menu color would be nice so that I can restore the original colors or at least change the crappy save menu ones.

Can someone help me? I can't get out of the Wizard's Tower. Please spoil me!

Just run around at random until you find your way out!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    That's a good point Xorak. I must say I've developed a real respect for game designers who make this sort of quest based game. I think Malchy was probably set up the best way (though most ppl would probably have missed it). If you talk to him before you talk to the Gardener he won't tell you anything. The minstrel on the other hand should probably not give you anything until you've spoked with the baker. . . .but that opens up a whole big can of worms.

If I ever do another one like this I'll probably go buy a white board so I can map out the quests easier and try to limit the number of times you have something before you need it.
    This is also one of the biggest challenges that I face when designing my missions. It requires a lot of thought and planning, and the perfect solution does not always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Just run around at random until you find your way out!

Thanks Already been doing that for about twenty minutes! Getting a little...

Activate your compass and only go west. This should make you go up and down the same set of stairs until you finally find the exit

In other news: I gave each glyph an individual color and that's the result:

It's more of a proof of concept rather than anything usable. Originally, the glyphs are a lot more colorful, however, their color is weighed against Thief's standard palette as it seems which changes their original color to a much darker tone. I haven't found a way to preserve their original color. That could most likely be achieved by editing Darkpal.pcx and adding in the colors of the font. Still, as is clearly visible in the screenshot, the colors have a certain transparency. That makes the font hard to read for brighter glyphs that are projected against the skybox. This look is also carried over to the menu. Total control over the game's color rendering would be necessary to create a colorful, yet easily readable font. Since I don't have it I'll concentrate on optimizing the white outlined font instead.
    Last edited by Xiaopang; 12th Nov 2010 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Thanks Already been doing that for about twenty minutes! Getting a little...
    minor spoil
    You should find someone to talk to, who will give you a large clue

dead giveaway

Go west, all the time

The Architect
    Just thought I'd drop in and say that I love the black outline around the font. If you can fix the menu oddnes (which isn't that big a deal) then I say include it in the mission. Solution? Rename the font and use the old for the menus and the new for the in-game text.

And sorry, but I really dislike the multicolored txt.

Thanks for the feedback Glad you like the outlined font. I also hate the multicolored one. Don't worry, it was really just a proof of concept to show that text can have more than one color

If you can reference two fonts then go for it. I found the color settings for the menu in dark.cfg and will mess around with them to get a look that's easier on the eyes, although I have to say that I like the white text with the red outline in the options menu.

Thanks, Xiaopang and Basil, for your help Got out and finished both missions!

And huge thanks to both Digital Nightfall and Sliptip for quite a thiefy adventure! Had loads of fun

I have to admit that after being a little suspect regarding the animated walls and distorted voices I am really enjoying this. I was looking at it a little more serious than I should have I guess and after playing it for a while I now understand the lightheartedness of the game. My son said the voices sounded like an old game of his, Banjo and Kazooie.
    Anyway, nice job guys.
    I'm having difficulty finding the amulet in the tower. Can I get a hint as to where I should be looking? I've been all over the place looking. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bobber View Post
    I'm having difficulty finding the amulet in the tower. Can I get a hint as to where I should be looking? I've been all over the place looking. Thanks!
    It's maybe not possible to direct you from where you may be now but starting from the opening room with the Wizard, leave it - and each consecutive room (or dead-end) using the following directions:

Spoil: South, South, South, North, North (for amulet) then North to room with Servant No2 who has clues for getting out!
    Last edited by Sagittal; 12th Nov 2010 at 16:50.

Outlined Font 1.1

Here's the final version of the outlined font. This time the menu font color is restored to its original version.

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DG077KMW

Thanks Xiaopang!

You're very welcome

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    Here's the final version of the outlined font. This time the menu font color is restored to its original version.

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DG077KMW
    Downloading. Thanks!

Nicely done

I thought the use of the MacGuffin was cute. A homage to Hitchcock I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Downloading. Thanks!
    Let me know how you like it

Quote Originally Posted by bobber View Post
    I thought the use of the MacGuffin was cute. A homage to Hitchcock I assume?
    He coined popularised the term, but you clearly haven't read TVTropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    He coined popularised the term, but you clearly haven't read TVTropes.
    Yeah, clearly.

I know enough about this community to realise that if Digital Nightfall is involved it is going to be amazing

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast