TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Fables of the Penitent Thief, by Sliptip and Digi (Nov 8th 2010)

Oh good! I thought I was going more mad than usual.

Dammit Username - not playing the game at all!!
    Last edited by nickie; 19th May 2011 at 16:56.

Fables of the Penitent Thief was the most innovative and one of the must entertaining fan missions I have played this year. I'd say it's in the Top 15 of my favorites. The puzzles are very cute and rewarding. Had I not missed the elevator mechanism, I would have been able to finish it on my own.

I really hope more people use the dialogue and shopping system presented here in their missions. Great work, Sliptip and Digi!

To the people who are asking me why i don't like it, it's not this mission in particular, its just I generally don't like adventure games in this style. It's probably a well done level for those people who like that kind of thing, as I have played work by sliptip and digi before and it is amazing

I need help with the ghost chase. after he moves up for the second time, where you use the cannon to fall towards the floor below the ghost. How do I get to the ghost from there?

Walk to the corner and look up.

Thanks for this really nice mission!
    Good work!

That was positively no exaggeration where it said that this FM project consisted in making Thief into an entirely new game. I'll admit that it succeeded in this regard to a great extent, probably one of the most creative uses of tools available to FM makers that I've seen in a long time. This was a very fun level, I enjoyed every part of it, so I thank you kindly for your work.

Hi!

I got a problem.

After all objectives are completed and talking to gate keeper first level ends and Continue leads to main menu.

Mission reinstallation doesn't help.

Is it OK to start next level manually?

Yes. Level starts you in the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by i2van View Post
    Hi!

I got a problem.

After all objectives are completed and talking to gate keeper first level ends and Continue leads to main menu.

Mission reinstallation doesn't help.

Is it OK to start next level manually?
    Are you sure you have the latest version?
    There was a version around where this could happen.
    The latest version is Nov 08, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Are you sure you have the latest version?
    There was a version around where this could happen.
    The latest version is Nov 08, 2010
    I had Nov 4 version. So I downloaded latest one and loaded save from older version. But I was unable to talk to any person now - NPC was highlighted but silent. Level skip had no effect - it resulted in welcome screen instead of next level. I ended up renaming miss21 to miss20 and started game anew (load game fails).. I ended up starting game anew and skipping first level.
    Last edited by i2van; 19th Mar 2011 at 06:25.

The Architect
    As a rule of thumb, if you install a newer version of an FM, throw all of your savegames away. They'll load up the previous version of the game.

(there are some exceptions to this, but they are rare.)

i seem to love this game; seem because it will crash my computer - in fact in crashes 2 computers I have, both of which are able to run other t2 fan missions.... Can anyone help with this. I have not yet made it out of the house... any pointers for this. Have been searching, but seem to be the only person on this earth having this issue.

Thanks for any input

Matt

Sorry to hear your having troubles

The only think I can think of is maybe you have the Nov 4 version? (see 2 posts above).

If it's not that, are you able to tell me more about when it crashes?

Thanks Slip for replying so quickly.

The time of crash varies, usually with the opening of either of the first two doors. The game just freezes, on one computer I can do a control alt delete to end process, the other I have to force shutdown on the computer. Very strange. Both computers... again game can freeze at point of loading, up until I open the 2nd door. I just cant beleive both computers do this. Maybe I should download from another source... though I thought I did. I do have the Nov8 version.....

I did see the outside once though! My kids were so looking forward to this game. They told me not to give up yet....maybe I should download the nov4 version?

Any thoughts would be helpful

Matt

The Architect
    Does it do that when you're playing Thief normally? It sounds like the hyperthreading crash.

Not hyperthreading, not even sure what that means exactly, just playing thief normally.....

was just wondering if I am missing some patches or something....

M

WAIT A SECOND!!!!

I just tried playing STRIFE (t2)and that crashed!

Is there a problem using garrett loader and having the TDM launcher on the same computer....

something is going on.....

Quote Originally Posted by UNWANTED GUEST View Post
    Not hyperthreading, not even sure what that means exactly, just playing thief normally.....
    If you don't know what hyperthreading means, then that probably means that's what's causing your problems. Hyperthreading isn't something you choose to do, it's something you need to avoid doing on modern computers.

Hyperthreading is a system that emulates having more CPU cores than you have.
    Thief is not a multi-core capable application, and it will crash horribly if allowed to run on more than one CPU core (real or emulated). Pretty much all modern CPUs have multiple cores. You need to either manually set the affinity to a single core using task manager, patch your Thief2.exe with ImageCfg, or use a pre-patched exe with the game locked to a single core.
    The DDFix prepatched exes all have the multi-core fix applied, and in fact playing the game with any recent version of DDFix, even without a fixed exe, will automatically set the affinity to a single core.

I think the easiest non-technical way to fix things (as long as you're playing T2) is to run Tafferpatcher. Even if Thief 2 is already installed, I believe it will just run and make all the necessary fixes (ddfix, widescreen, multicore, etc.)

GREAT!

Thank you all who responded! I am sure this is the prob as both computers are multi-core.

I will implement the instructions this weekend and will let you know.

Thank you for your time and consideration in helping!!

Of course.. my computer got a virus right before I had time to try, but once that is taken care of - (Thank goodness for geekstogo.com) I'm confident I should be up and running with Thief. - will definitely let you know...

Did download tafferpatch on this borrowed computer, (THANKS that looks like a really nice program) & will transfer to my main computer once it gets better

What with burn-out & RL, I've only just got around to this one!

But I have a problem nobody else seems to have had. All the dialogue is spoken extremely fast & in what sounds like an alien language - can't understand anything

The text works fine, textures are animated & I get the tiny 'fade-out' when leaving the house (as opposed to a continuous view). Have d/l "Fables Nov8Fin.zip" 3 times (FileFront, Southquarter & ttlg.de) with no change. Am using WinXP Pro SP3 & NV's EP - but not DDFix (it doesn't seem to like GeF4).

Help!?

The Architect
    It's all supposed to be like that.

Ah. I honestly did not know that - don't remember reading about it anywhere. Oh well, thanx

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast