TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Worms on film

Worms on film

(No, it isn't The Many's favourite Duran Duran song).

Last night I watched Slither, which in many ways I regretted afterwards because it was not very good. However some bits reminded me of SS2, namely:

Parasitic alien worms, which infect and zombify and mutate their victims.

A hive mind controlling all the biomass.

Bodies altered by the worms for different functions (breeding, food, tentacles, worms).

Anyone else make the mistake of watching the film and then wonder if it could have been about The Many reaching Earth?

Well I've seen it, and while it didn't remind me of System Shock, I thought it was a pretty good film. Nathan Fillion is great. You have to take the movie with a grain of salt I guess, its supposed to be sort of absurd and excessively gross, it doesn't take itself seriously in any way. That being said, I guess your points are somewhat decent, but the way people were zombified didn't really remind my of system shock at all. They weren't THAT physically disfigured...they just looked well...dead. Not like the hybrids or midwives or anything like that. Plus the worms didn't come from eggs. Just my relatively pointless 2 cents, I mostly just wanted to respond because I happen to think it's a pretty good movie.

Something's wrooooooong with meeeee

confirm/deny
    Last edited by metal dawn; 22nd May 2009 at 22:52. Reason: aaaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by zenmaster891 View Post
    Plus the worms didn't come from eggs.
    The first one did - the egg hatched and a worm variant came out. Or at least it resembled an egg, and was obviously there to protect the worm on its journey. You could possibly argue that the first bloated woman they encounter had been transformed into one huge egg full of worms.

I loved Firefly, Nathan was great in that.

I always have a problem with 'comedy horror' - things like Black Sheep, Hatchet, Slither. Though I enjoyed 'Shivers', an early Cronenberg that the Slither scriptwriter obviously gained inspiration from.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Kefren View Post
    I always have a problem with 'comedy horror' - things like Black Sheep, Hatchet, Slither.
    What, even Night of the Creeps?

Quote Originally Posted by metal dawn View Post
    Something's wrooooooong with meeeee

confirm/deny
    Do not post.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    That was truly horrifying ZB. Please don't make us watch it again.

(Maybe Slither was a remake of that film).

I absolutely thought that Slither was based on SS2, especially since one of the characters referred to the worms as "annelids". It's stripped down to just the shock/horror action elements and doesn't have any of the atmosphere, intelligence, or creepiness of the game, but I think it was clearly inspired by the game.

Also, Slither made some subtle references to horror films of the 1980s. That has to do with the appearance of its infected: Michael Rooker's character appears to be based on Dr. Praetorius in From Beyond.
    Last edited by dementia13; 2nd Dec 2010 at 13:15.

Quote Originally Posted by dementia13 View Post
    I absolutely thought that Slither was based on SS2, especially since one of the characters referred to the worms as "annelids".
    "Annelid" is a scientific term used in real life; Irrational didn't make it up. Link