TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 source code...leaked.

Thief 2 source code...leaked.

Time to get rid of the 1000-polygon-limitation

Classical Master 2008
    And let us not forget the brush limit. Throw self-discipline to the wind!!!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    FYI, opening Dromed's debug info will show the original source paths, which should help in reconstructing the folder structure of LGS' network drive.

Somebody needs to start a thread for the efforts towards turning this into a more useful archive. We also need to take steps to insure there don't end up being multiple different versions of the engine floating around with different changes and fixes. Well, that may be unavoidable, but there should be some sort of organized consortium which releases quasi-official "community" engine updates.

From reading the referenced threads, this may not be leaked so much as legally purchased. After all, if you buy a locked storage container at an auction and you find Picasso sketches inside when you open it up , you own the sketches (unless they were stolen, I guess). I think that logic applies when you buy a used hard drive: if when you read the drive you find Thief and SS2 source files, you own those files legally. Naively that makes sense to me.

ZylonBane
    Should be interesting to see how much of cut features like facial animation, bump mapping, etc still exist in the source.

Wow, this is great news. Also, rdrive/prj/thief2/src/EDITOR/ looks like source code for Dromed.

Source code for the games, editor, scripts, etc. all seems to be there. It looks like there are a few header files missing, but those shouldn't be that important.

I've already found a couple of limits just written right there in the code, such as a single line which appears to set the palette limit to 256. Once we get everything sorted out and compiling, it should be a very simple matter to raise those limits.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    From reading the referenced threads, this may not be leaked so much as legally purchased. After all, if you buy a locked storage container at an auction and you find Picasso sketches inside when you open it up , you own the sketches (unless they were stolen, I guess). I think that logic applies when you buy a used hard drive: if when you read the drive you find Thief and SS2 source files, you own those files legally. Naively that makes sense to me.
    That analogy isn't valid, though. In your example, the sketches are the only instance. In this case, the fellow who bought the HD only bought a copy. He owns that copy, but Eidos/EA still own the IP rights to the code, and I doubt he has the right to redistribute it just because he bought a copy.

Not that that is going to stop anyone here from doing what we're hoping to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Source code for the games, editor, scripts, etc. all seems to be there. It looks like there are a few header files missing, but those shouldn't be that important.
    Jesus holy Christ, I can't believe I'm not dreaming right now. This is just fucking unbelievable.

Clearinghouse
    I see there are files also from quake and unreal.
    About Deep Cover - files from the Siege Engine? Or Deep Cover still used the Dark Engine?

jtr7
    Deep Cover still used the Dark Engine, but since Siege was supposed to be Dark on steroids, it might take awhile to recognize any Siege code, methinks.

I see that game_player_s's HDD has a folder labeled "Portal". Dark's renderer was named "Portal", so shouldn't we have that folder's contents, as well, if it's what I think it is?

In objarray.h:
    // This is ported from Siege.

Heh.
    Last edited by jtr7; 10th Dec 2010 at 02:16.

The quake and unreal stuff will just be the keybinds that showed up in thief, nothing related to those engines. I doubt there'd be much seige engine code here since it was still in development and this was a Dreamcast port for existing dark engine games.

I propose we should organize a repository for patches (only) to get this work (let it be GIT or HG). That way we won't have to worry about the legality of the repository itself that much.

I don't think regular patches would work though, as those contain snippets of original source code. I am thinking more of a system that would only contain line numbers of the original source code, not it's contents.

Also: Hooray!

Eep!

Is there another download link somewhere? The one in that other thread doesn't work for me.

Clearinghouse

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I think that logic applies when you buy a used hard drive: if when you read the drive you find Thief and SS2 source files, you own those files legally. Naively that makes sense to me.
    Whoever bought the hard drive owns the hard drive. The copyright for the source code and permission to distribute much less create derivative works from it, does not change.

Public Scripts is GPL licensed and I'd like it to stay that way. So I'm not going to do anything that would taint my source code. And as far as anyone is concerned, I haven't even downloaded that archive. Sorry guys.

But if I magically post directions on how to write your own motion schemas that can be processed by Dromed, that's just really good "guesswork".

jtr7
    What the heck...

Thief 2 service release: http://www.mediafire.com/?79idrcdr5gr2rfw
    Additional required Dark Engine libraries: http://www.mediafire.com/?olbmubnm0m6k5ta

EDIT, March 7, 2012, NOTE: Notice where I said "What the heck..."? That was hesitation after consideration and observing things unfold. Note, too, Sean Barrett joins the discussion below. Also note that in the other TTLG thread NH linked to above, I am increasing uncomfortable with the flagrant public dismissal of IP ownership legalities.
    Last edited by jtr7; 7th Mar 2012 at 20:42. Reason: For people failing to learn from history.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    I see that game_player_s's HDD has a folder labeled "Portal". Dark's renderer was named "Portal", so shouldn't we have that folder's contents, as well, if it's what I think it is?
    Nah, I think you mean portal rendering. From what I've read, and I'm no expert mind you, portal rendering is simply a type of surface detection rendering trick that simply splits maps off into sectors, or portals, is it? Yeah, but that file may be something.

Also, what was the Siege engine going to do exactly, that differed it from the dark engine?

Moderator and Priest
    I believe the original Looking Glass Thief 3 was gonna use Siege. The idea of having a fully explorable city wasn't introduced by Ion Storm, they adopted it from LG's original concept. So with that in mind, I'd say that Siege was probably a modernized (for the time) Dark Engine, with support for larger maps and/or load zones.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Nah, I think you mean portal rendering. From what I've read, and I'm no expert mind you, portal rendering is simply a type of surface detection rendering trick that simply splits maps off into sectors, or portals, is it? Yeah, but that file may be something.

Also, what was the Siege engine going to do exactly, that differed it from the dark engine?
    No. Seriously. Sean Barrett named Dark's renderer "Portal". Yes, it's portal rendering.

http://web.archive.org/web/200202212.../misc/bio.html
    Thief: The Dark Project: During Terra Nova, I did some rendering research for developing a next-generation indoor rendering engine that we could use for future System Shock sorts of games, and "invented" (re-discovered?) portal technology. (Of course, it turns out that Descent was using portals before anyone!) This got hashed and beaten around and turned into an engine called Portal, which is the renderer behind Thief and System Shock 2. Like everyone else, the editor uses a CSG technology for building, and I wrote the CSG-to-Portal-database converter, as well as a few other elements of the Dark Engine's editor.
    Siege was going to be Dark on steroids, so no doubt it was going to lift the limits at the very least. Sean was no longer at Looking Glass, but he was consulting:
    Thief III: I was part of the engine team developing a next-generation engine for Thief III.

Classical Master 2008
    Also see: "Portalize", the command used to compile your map. Portals in this case being understood as how intersecting air brushes open up into each other and create continuous non-solid space.

jtr7
    Yes. So is that Portal folder accounted for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast