TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

The title says it all

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66799

Excited or not? I for one, am!
    Last edited by DarkDragon; 15th Dec 2010 at 15:00.

Yay.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm stoked, but reservedly so.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Excited or not?
    About what? The title? Or some old guy's voice acting?

Moderator and Priest
    Hey, that's supposedly Max Von Sydow. If he's attached to the game, then you know at least one character is gonna have some pretty decent voice acting.

Maybe even 5 minutes of it.

Clearinghouse
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...5-in-the-works
    You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.

This can only mean good things for PC users, of course.

New engine too.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/12/co...ly-new-engine/

Since Skyrim is the far northland I'm wondering if it will feel restricted, foliage- and weather-wise to all ice and snow. I recall an Oblivion quest up north which was fine as a contrast but an entire game in white does not at first excite. But that doesn't mean much until we get to see and hear more about it.

Well, it's the only game I wait for even so.

I'll buy it if one of developers states the following, signs it, and is cursed by a gypsy witch if he lies:
    Instead of predefined quests, the game will feature plot seeds which evolve through the player's actions and interactions with the world and NPCs. Based on the attitude of the player in conversations and his/her choice of whom to aid, rob, kill or betray, the world will change- instead of capsuled microcosms within a quest or area, the consequences will have the reach to open and close ways to the player further ahead in the game. NPCs have a simulated personality with goals, preferences and way of doing things, and as the game keeps a log of past events it calculates the next move of factions according to the current situation.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    New engine too.
    Well I'll be damned, now I'll actually keep an eye out for this.

Clearinghouse
    They posted this on twitter:
    "Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!"
    http://twitter.com/Bethblog/statuses/14010984884604929

Chakat sex pillow
    I'll temper my expectations. That way, if it turns out that it's GameBryo with a new renderer again, I won't have the overwhelming urge to smack my head on the desk.

Same. What I'd really like to see is seamless indoors and outdoors environments, like I said before, but I'm not actually getting my hopes up for that. But I am glad there's a new one coming out regardless. Even if it turns out to be just Oblivion++, I should still get plenty of enjoyable hours out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'll temper my expectations. That way, if it turns out that it's GameBryo with a new renderer again, I won't have the overwhelming urge to smack my head on the desk.
    Gamebryo is a render engine, nothing more.

You can compare something like civ4 with morrowind/oblivion/fallout3, and you'll notice that they're all built very differently in terms of game engine and how they're modded, because bethesda built the engine and used gamebryo as the graphics part of it, much like how civ4 was built using gamebryo as the rendering engine.

Luckily it is the gamebryo part they've replaced now, as they can't upgrade it like they did with morrowind->oblivion, because the company behind gamebryo went down.

It's not magically going to make the game bug-free though, because bugs were related to the game, not gamebryo, and if they slack on Q&A like obsidian did (considering its a massive sandbox title), they're going to have issues again.

The only thing gamebryo was related to in terms of issues was that it isn't the fastest one and bethesda probably outgrew it in terms of what they need now, it has nothing to do with the visual quality of the art, nor has it anything to do with the animations or facegen.
    Last edited by Eldron; 14th Dec 2010 at 11:13.

Eh? Nah, I don't think so, that looks far too good even for a doctored screenshot.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Hey, that's supposedly Max Von Sydow. If he's attached to the game, then you know at least one character is gonna have some pretty decent voice acting.
    Gotta have respect: that guy played Antonius Blok in The Seventh Seal and Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon, both perfectly.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldron View Post
    Gamebryo is a render engine, nothing more.

You can compare something like civ4 with morrowind/oblivion/fallout3, and you'll notice that they're all built very differently in terms of game engine and how they're modded, because bethesda built the engine and used gamebryo as the graphics part of it, much like how civ4 was built using gamebryo as the rendering engine.

Luckily it is the gamebryo part they've replaced now, as they can't upgrade it like they did with morrowind->oblivion, because the company behind gamebryo went down.

It's not magically going to make the game bug-free though, because bugs were related to the game, not gamebryo, and if they slack on Q&A like obsidian did (considering its a massive sandbox title), they're going to have issues again.

The only thing gamebryo was related to in terms of issues was that it isn't the fastest one and bethesda probably outgrew it in terms of what they need now, it has nothing to do with the visual quality of the art, nor has it anything to do with the animations or facegen.
    Whoah, I didn't know that. I thought it was some sort of middleware solution like UE3 which was getting long in the tooth, hence the crappy animation and interior/exterior loading and other limitations. Thanks for clearing that up.

So... that means that most of the engine's problems were Bethesda's fault to begin with

ARRGH
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Dec 2010 at 12:19.

£10 note
    After being very excited about Oblivion before it came out and having since played Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm definitely not going to get excited about this in the least. Nonetheless, I will probably get it once someone makes the equivalent of Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for it. I really don't have very much faith in Bethesda's development ability outside of making very big and pretty sandbox games which have shitty balance and are fairly unremarkable in every other respect.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    ...and Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon, both perfectly.
    I never knew that. I've got double the respect for the guy now.

As far as Skyrim goes. It's got a great setting (think Bloodmoon, which was supposedly an island off of Skyrim if I remember my fiction correctly), and FO3 was fun enough to numb some of the disappointment from Oblivion. It has the potential to be a good game. Doubly so if Bethesda gets some good writers behind them and remembers what made Morrowind so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Whoah, I didn't know that. I thought it was some sort of middleware solution like UE3 which was getting long in the tooth, hence the crappy animation and interior/exterior loading and other limitations. Thanks for clearing that up.

So... that means that most of the engine's problems were Bethesda's fault to begin with

ARRGH
    Apparently they have learned alot though, and have upped their manpower (in both artistic and coding department) considerably, so I'm positive they'll surprise us this time.

The Architect
    Are you talking about the recent studo acquisitions? Bethesda alone is working on Skyrim. Neither id nor Arkane are involved with it. All of the other ZeniMax studios have their own projects which they're working on internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldron View Post
    It has something to do with the visual quality in terms of lightning and shadows, and this is quite poor element of this engine. Outdoor lightning is awful, especially in Fallout 3/NV. If you take a look at any editor (TES/Geck), you'll see that a lot of meshes have planes or other outlines with gradient black to alpha transparency to make up for lack of object shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    It has something to do with the visual quality in terms of lightning and shadows, and this is quite poor element of this engine. Outdoor lightning is awful, especially in Fallout 3/NV. If you take a look at any editor (TES/Geck), you'll see that a lot of meshes have planes or other outlines with gradient black to alpha transparency to make up for lack of object shadows.
    Gamebryo is fully capable of having full shadows, and the environment lighting setup is always up to the artists, being a lighting artist in a game is actually an entirely seperate type of profession which requires skill.

Bethesda opted to drop shadows though even though they had it planned for oblivion, they were chosing between having vast landscapes with long distances or having the shadows still in due to drawdistances.

If you want to say that gamebryo is not the fastest rendering engine, then I'd say you're right, but there are far worse ones out there, the issues at hand was mainly that bethesda lacked some artistic capabilities in their character and animation department, and facegen wasn't used properly at all, they've always had some nice environment art though, especially with morrowind's environmental design.

Digital nightfall, no, bethesda just have more people on skyrim compared to fallout3 and oblivion, and they have hired some new talent where it was needed (animation department especially) and they've most likely have more software engineers working on the new engine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast