TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Windows 7 Thief II & III

  1. #1
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2001
    Location: In the wild woods of France

    Windows 7 Thief II & III

    Can anyone point me in the direction of any discussions about Thief, GarrettLoader, Darkloader etc and any problems installing them on a Windows 7 computer? Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2010
    Location: The land of perfection
    I'm running everything on Wn7 x64. Not a single problem here.

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered: May 2009
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Mgedon View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of any discussions about Thief, GarrettLoader, Darkloader etc and any problems installing them on a Windows 7 computer? Thanks in advance
    This is an interesting question. Especially since I will soon switch to a new multicore PC with Windows 7 too.
    There are quite a couple of known issues, but for some reason there seems to be no dedicated thread covering all the possible issues you must expect to run into.
    One might believe that these would be discussed in the technical forum, but obviously there is not much going on on this forum.

    I wonder why there is no dedicated/sticky that outlines the problems and how to address them ?
    Since more and more people are switching hardware and OS, I think such a thread would be really helpful.


    Right now, I guess you will need to go to 'Advanced Search' and use 'Search Titles only' for 'Windows 7' yourself.


    Some known issues I recall :

    - make sure Thief2 uses one core only (processor affinity)
    - make sure Thief2 does not run in 'Compatibility Mode'. see NVScript not running
    - never install into 'c:\program files (x86)'
    - also avoid blanks in pathnames for anything you install
    - I seem to recall that some people mentioned that installing Thief2 via TafferPatcher helped them a lot
    Last edited by gnartsch; 15th Jan 2011 at 07:44.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2010
    Location: The land of perfection
    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    There are quite a couple of known issues, but for some reason there seems to be no dedicated thread covering all the possible issues you must expect to run into.
    How can you cover operating specific issues if they don't exist? Windows 7 is a lot more compatible with older apps than XP ever was.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post

    - make sure Thief2 uses one core only (processor affinity)
    No Windows 7 issue, but a multicore one that affects all systems from XP onwards.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    - make sure Thief2 does not run in 'Compatibility Mode'.
    Also no Win 7 issue, since no program starts in compatibility mode unless you set it to. Btw, setting Thief 2 to lets say XP compatibility mode does NOTHING. It just starts the program the same as with no compatibility mode.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    - never install into 'c:\program files (x86)'
    Why? It is the folder dedicated to programs. All my Thief games are installed there and all run well.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    - also avoid blanks in pathnames for anything you install
    Also no problem...


    Seriously, all you have to do is install the games and run them. May be set the affinity if you have a multicore system and you're done. No reason to treat this like this was a big deal. What you're doing is spreading rumors and establishing an urban myth without the knowledge nor the proof. Bad practice in the very least...
    Last edited by Xiaopang; 15th Jan 2011 at 08:22.

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Poland
    Yeah. At least try running stuff and reading the stickies before posting a new topic. It's common courtesy.

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: UK
    I used Tafferpatcher to install Thief2 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop a few months back and I would really recommend it. No problems experienced to date with the OMs and FMs I have played. I use Darkloader 4.3 for the FMs.

    Tafferpatcher will sort out the DDfix, multi-core and widescreen mods (amongst others) for you pretty easily - you just need an existing install OR the original Thief2 discs.

    Apart from making sure Thief2 and Darkloader are installed in a separate C:\Games directory or similar (in their own subdirectories), - ie not C:\Program Files - and that "Run as Administrator" was applied to each .exe I didn't do anything else.

  7. #7
    Member
    Registered: May 2009
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    How can you cover operating specific issues if they don't exist? Windows 7 is a lot more compatible with older apps than XP ever was.
    Seriously, Xiaopang,
    If you would follow the problems on the forum you would notice that even experienced
    FM authors spent weeks & months in the past trying to get Thief running again on their new equipment.
    So, don't say there are no problems, just because you did not run into anything like that.

    I just try to provide some help - and I pointed out that I am not on Win7, yet.
    Why I mentioned multicore ?
    Chances are good that people switch hardware & OS at the same time.

    Not sure if you thought that this thread is a just poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    I'm running everything on Wn7 x64. Not a single problem here.
    For sure it was not helpful at all.


    R'Mgedon,

    seems like Telliamed has created a Win7 compatible version for DarkLoader.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 15th Jan 2011 at 09:25.

  8. #8
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2010
    Location: The land of perfection
    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    If you would follow the problems on the forum you would notice that even experienced
    FM authors spent weeks & months in the past trying to get Thief running again on their new equipment.
    Then back up your claims. I can verify all of them as false. Just because others have problems doesn't mean that it's due to the OS.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    So, don't say there are no problems, just because you did not run into anything like that.
    There are no problems unless they are created by exotic setups and/or user mistakes, or do you want to imply that my Windows 7 miraculously differs from others that are available? You're welcome to prove me wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    I just try to provide some help - and I pointed out that I am not on Win7, yet.
    Well, as great as that is, it doesn't change the fact that you posted rumors that are also false. The only thing that you accomplish by doing that is sending people the wrong way if something goes actually wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Why I mentioned multicore ?
    Chances are good that people switch hardware & OS at the same time.
    Still doesn't change the fact that this is no Win7 issue. Multicore has been around for 7 years. You want to include some help for those switching from AGP to PCIe? LOL


    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Not sure if you thought that this thread is a just poll.
    Not sure why you'd think that I'd think that.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Registered: Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Mgedon View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of any discussions about Thief, GarrettLoader, Darkloader etc and any problems installing them on a Windows 7 computer? Thanks in advance
    You will find such discussion in the Legacy Gaming Forum. For example, there is this thread.

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2006
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    Then back up your claims. I can verify all of them as false. Just because others have problems doesn't mean that it's due to the OS.
    Technically yes. But you are an experienced IT affine person and can easily fix any problems that you may face. You know where to look and what to change. Not everyone here on the forum has that abilities. Yes, some of those issues had been around for quite some time now. But in the meantime the OS has changed and so did some of the switches where to set one or two things right. How about stop complaining about how stupid this thread might be and start letting the not-so-technically-advanced taffers ask their questions?

    There are no problems unless they are created by exotic setups and/or user mistakes, or do you want to imply that my Windows 7 miraculously differs from others that are available? You're welcome to prove me wrong.
    You should know better than that. Any installation of OS differs from almost any others when it comes to installation of application software and hardware drivers.

  11. #11
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Uppity about OSes ITT.

    Want to solve all your problems? Buy a Mac. OLOL! AND WOOSH I'M GONE!

  12. #12
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2010
    Location: The land of perfection
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    Technically yes.
    Great, that basically ends all debate.


    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    But you are an experienced IT affine person and can easily fix any problems that you may face. You know where to look and what to change. Not everyone here on the forum has that abilities.
    While this is true this doesn't change the fact that I didn't face any problems or else I would have stated them, wouldn't I?


    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    Yes, some of those issues had been around for quite some time now.
    Which ones then? Start being accurate instead of generalizing things just to prove a point. Name the issues so that they may be investigated and addressed by experienced users.


    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    But in the meantime the OS has changed and so did some of the switches where to set one or two things right.
    In which way did it change to back up this claim? I have been using Vista since it came out in 2006 and I have been using Seven since its earliest release. I didn't register any changes that would affect Thief. Again: Be specific. Seriously, for someone THAT accurate like you (thinking of your licensing question) you're far too unspecific. This won't fly with me. If you claim something, you better have something to back it up.


    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    How about stop complaining about how stupid this thread might be and start letting the not-so-technically-advanced taffers ask their questions?
    And exactly where did I complain how stupid this thread is? And I want a quote here. Please, don't lay words in my mouth. I don't take kindly to that...

    If i remember correctly I gave the first reply, answering the question straight forward with no bitching of any kind. And so far, this has been the only accurate reply by someone who actually uses the system.


    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    You should know better than that. Any installation of OS differs from almost any others when it comes to installation of application software and hardware drivers.
    Like I said: Exotic setups and crappy third party software (aka user mistakes) are a different question. Those are also not OS-specific most of the time, but the initial question itself hinted at OS-specific problems. let me stress it again: If there are actual, existing problems that were introduced with Windows 7 and that didn't exist in Vista or XP, then name them, but spare me the hear say. Otherwise all the advice from threads covering those should suffice.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    Good Grief! Thought I'd strayed into CommChat for a minute there.

    @ R'Mgedon - you've probably had all the useful links for installing Windows 7 so I'd suggest cracking on with it and if you do run into anything that isn't covered in those links, post a help thread in the Legacy Gaming Forum. Be sure to read the FAQ about posting so that you include all the necessary OS details as requested. I've only used a Windows 7 machine for a week and for that I had my XP T2 installation copied to a stick and plugged it in.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Registered: May 2000
    Location: Thunder Bay, On., Canada
    That's a pretty rude reply, Xiaopang! So, because you personally didn't experience any problems, they can't exist??? Please do not continue with that attitude here. It's not appreciated. We try to be friendly and to answer sincere questions politely and helpfully.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2009
    Thank you Nightwalker!

    I had some problems that were easily fixed by searching this forum.
    Last edited by Fuod; 15th Jan 2011 at 23:27.

  16. #16
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2007
    Location: beyond belief
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    Seriously, all you have to do is install the games and run them. May be set the affinity if you have a multicore system and you're done. No reason to treat this like this was a big deal. What you're doing is spreading rumors and establishing an urban myth without the knowledge nor the proof. Bad practice in the very least...
    I don't agree with you, I had a great deal of trouble starting Thief up under Windows 7 which was solved by the many helpful tips that were given me in the Legacy part of this forum. This is not an urban myth but a problem that arises for non-techie players... and there are a lot of us around.

  17. #17
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: Kent, UK

    win 7, and all is good.

    I running thief, thiefII, and thief DS(i play DS in 3d to and it works nice) and the dark mod on win 7 64bit, and its all smooth gaming here.

    Nvidia 480 with 266.35 driver.
    creative X-Fi.
    Last edited by Lord Soth; 16th Jan 2011 at 12:36.

  18. #18
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Rockwell, NC
    I too had issues with installing on Windows 7 and Vista x64 (64-bit), running Qaud-core and widescreen. I used tafferpatcher that installed custom scripts, widescreen fix, Fog fixes, multi-core processer as well as installed somewhere other than C:\Program Files (x86)\.

  19. #19
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    That's a pretty rude reply, Xiaopang! So, because you personally didn't experience any problems, they can't exist??? Please do not continue with that attitude here. It's not appreciated. We try to be friendly and to answer sincere questions politely and helpfully.
    To be fair, Xiaopang has a point. Most of the problems with Thief on modern systems have very little to do with windows per se. The only problem that has to do with windows 7 and Vista that I can think of have to do with LGVID.ax or EAX.
    The problems that ddfix addresses have mostly to do with modern graphic cards and their drivers.

    I had a vanilla T2 install that I only patched to v1.18 working in Windows 7 without modification other than the multicore fix. Althought it looked awfull without ddfix, it worked.

  20. #20
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2001
    Location: In the wild woods of France
    Hi Toute la Monde

    I'm really sorry to have caused all this aggravation and bad feeling. When I upgraded my original computer from Windows 2000 to XP I thought "a new machine, lots of memory an improved processor" etc etc, "thief'll run like never before". As this wasn't the case and it took a total novice, like me, quite a while to sort out glitches, I thought I'd post on the forum for some advice, just in case, so I'd be prepared.

    I am very grateful for all the advice (although quite a lot of it is way over my head) and am just going to go ahead and install the game and see what happens. If I have problems I'll do what I did before and persevere. If I never get it sorted pas problem I stilll have my old machine which runs everything just great (although is a bit glitchy with Thief 3) and I'll just keep that for gaming. Lets hope when Thi4f is eventually released it won't be one of those resource hungry monsters.

    Thanks again for all your help, suggestions and comments. Where would we be without cooperation?

  21. #21
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    You didn't cause any aggravation or bad feeling.

    But let us know how you get on won't you. I want to know how it turns out.

  22. #22
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2008
    Location: Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    Why? It is the folder dedicated to programs. All my Thief games are installed there and all run well.
    Depends on taste, but i personally don't like to install games into program files x86 anymore. I generally use lots of mods for different games and sometimes their installers and 7/Vista security don't like each other unless you run every installer as an admin. Plus, some games need to be run as an admin if you install them into that folder. I've found keeping a separate folder for games the least problematic solution overall. I don't need to spend my playing time on debugging issues that ocur because a certain mods files didn't get copied over correctly (has happened).

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
    Still doesn't change the fact that this is no Win7 issue. Multicore has been around for 7 years.
    Isn't it just mindboggling, that in 7 years and 3 OS-es Microsoft hasn't created a convenient way for a user to just run a desired application with affinity set to one core (Unless you call alt-tabbing out of an application or downloading a command line utility convenient)?
    Last edited by Tolknaz; 24th Jan 2011 at 17:44.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •