TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 114 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762112 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

I wonder if there's a fix for the glitch that makes Garrett stop every time you push walk and run buttons at the same time?

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistole2k View Post
    however, in "Returning a Favor" the maps I get from the priest are not visible in the maps menu even after I frobbed them in the inventory.
    ok, I know why this is happening. drop this file into your thief folder and it should be fixed.

Hey vodoo, how is work going on making the Ultimate Difficulty mod compatible with TFix?
    I stopped playing scince you explained the problems when running both together, but I would really love to get into that haunted cathedral now There is no going back to vanilla once you played with UD.

Iam aware that you have much to do but maybe you could give status report on that feature?

Zombified
    uhh, don't wait. it's planned, but there is WAY too much on my plate right now. think anywhere from one month to one year.

Ok then I will play without TFix gamesys fixes for now as there dont seem to be other incompatibilities when using both. Hopefully I wont miss TFix/UD compatibility version when its done.

Is it possible to use the assassin bow for Thief 1 again? The bow can be found here. In Thief 2 you can simply copy the mesh folder to the main directory. You could also use this method in Thief with TFix 1.10. Now Id like to know where to put the bowsite.cal and bowsite.bin.

Zombified
    the model should go to MODS\mesh\hipoly, the texture to MODS\mesh\Txt16.

Works. What do I have to do if I also want to use the texture pack of Tin?

Zombified
    he was in the process of making his pack TFix compatible, and I already have the new (work in progress) version, but I don't think it's approved for public release.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 9th Nov 2012 at 05:55.

Okay. I can wait. Another question: In Thief 2 if you reach a goal a message about this is shown onscreen. Any chance to implement this in Thief 1?

Zombified
    that would require someone who can modify osms. and that ain't me.

Zombified
    yeah, that did pop out somewhere, I think. not sure if something can be done though.

Recompiled missions for better shadows

Hello,

a friend of mine (Kafou) went to the trouble of recompiling all Thief Gold missions (TFix'ed version) to take full advantage of 1.19's 32-bit lightmaps. This significantly enhances the visual quality of shadows.

I would suggest that the updated .mis files be included into TFix. For now, they are available at the following URL:

http://thief.gamall-ida.com/

Similar recompiled .mis files may follow for Thief 2.

edit: I seem to have DNS problems with this sub-domain, for some reason; extra-temporary link to another location:
    http://gamall-ida.com/thief/Kafou_TG...bit_smooth.rar

edit2: MD5:
    17263ee68e0e3fab4297951ad0b852ff Kafou_TG_Relighted_Missions_32-bit_smooth.rar
    Last edited by Gamall; 11th Nov 2012 at 09:25. Reason: link pbs ; md5

Cool! I figured something like this would happen. However, the one issue is that just changing the lightmaps is not enough apparently. Tweaking lights may be necessary as well.

Do you have a link to a discussion about this issue?
    I'm halfway through the game with the new lightmaps and didn't notice any problem
    Maybe it's only with the "32bits 2X" method, which seems to affect light radius.

For information, I computed these files from a fresh installation of Thief Gold with TFix installed, including all mission fixes.
    Lighting options are: Terrain + Objects shadow type / Medium (5-pt) shadow softness / 32bits lightmap type.

This was my first experience with Dromed, and I'm sure there must be a way to automatize lightmaps recomputation for all maps with a script.
    This solution would be much more compact, would not require distributing copyrighted content, and could easily be extended to support any FM...
    But Gamall was too eager to post this here
    Last edited by Kafou; 10th Nov 2012 at 16:49.

The effects of 16-bit versus 32-bit vs 32-bit 2x are not easily seen unless you're really paying attention to shadows. Sort of subtle, although if you look at 2x you can see it being a bit brighter than in 16-bit or 32-bit.

I had trouble differentiating them until I saw comparison shots on another thread, here. In that thread they explained the different settings. Page 2 where larry and I are discussing it will be of particular interest. That is where I got the information about needing to do more than just setting 32-bit lightmaps to a mission file.

The shadow banding effect has always been a great annoyance for me, especially when colors are mixed because of their difference in precision. I guess sensibility to this effect varies widely from person to person...

Most of the discussion in the thread you linked is about 32bits 2X, and I didn't use this setting.

There are differences in luminance from 16bits to 32bits because of the demultiplied color resolution that removes most visual artifacts. I don't see how removing artifacts could be a bad thing.

Do you play Thief in 800x600x16 resolution? I play in 1920x1200x32 because my hardware allows it, and it offers a better overall picture.
    As the game is old and was not designed for this kind of high resolution, I can now see how most rooms are empty and walls are flat, I can notice many little mistakes in 3D or texture design, and the light bands from non-dithered 16bit lightmaps are more present than ever. But in the end I prefer playing in high resolution.
    1.19 also added mipmapping to the game (or at least greatly improved it), removing texture aliasing in the distance. This was not a great deal back when the game was released, as aliasing was already everywhere and partially smoothed by CRT displays. But it is really appreciated in modern conditions.
    Why would lightmaps be any different? It's just another form of aliasing removed. 32bits lightmaps allows me to get rid of the banding (which was itself "uncovered" by high resolution rendering), which is greatly appreciated. This difference is (for me) much more significant than a little difference in visible light intensity from here to there (remember that the difference is just local "between the bands", the overall light behavior is the same).
    Like the other cited improvements, this results in other mistakes to become more visible. Editing OMs to emulate 16bits looks with 32bits material is probably a good idea, but IMO it's not necessary to use 32bits lightmaps, just like fixing all the others known artifacts was not required to enjoy high resolution mods and the other 1.19 improvements.
    Last edited by Kafou; 11th Nov 2012 at 08:12.

Clearinghouse

You can see it however you like, but changing from 16-bit to 32-bit does make a difference in how the game looks. I wanted to deny this fact too, but it really does. If you think I'm being too picky, I'm not the only one. Some people in here are very critical when it comes to preserving the feel of the original game. You'll notice that another forum member was complaining about how the shadows look "wrong" in 32-bit versus 16-bit. I think it was the eyeball plant picture. However, it's worth it to switch to 32-bit to get rid of the color banding issues. I noticed an improvement in dromed when I switched from 16-bit to 32-bit on the mission I was working on.

Also, no, I don't play in 800x600, that's a terrible resolution and I can't stand it. You act as though I don't enjoy enhancements, but I do. I've patched my thief to 1.19 and have been using the new dromed as well. All I was doing was trying to warn you that simply switching to 32-bit wasn't going to be enough, according to LarryG and observation... but if most people don't care or don't notice the change then it's fine.

In any case, we are going off-topic here.

Zombified
    one way or another, T1 is not using colored lightning, so there are no obvious visual artifacts visible (like in T2), that means I don't plan to include relit maps into the patcher anytime soon - I still don't have some more pressing issues ironed out, adding more modified stuff at this point just increases the chance of screwing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    You act as though I don't enjoy enhancements, but I do.
    Sorry, That was not my point. I just wanted to make the parallel between lightmap resolution improvement and other, more widely accepted improvements (screen resolution and mipmapping). My point is that whatever improvement you make to reduce any kind of aliasing, you will also emphasize flaws or lacks of detail from the source material. But I don't consider this as a valid argument against resolution improvements, for the reasons stated. Of course, anyone is free to improve the source material to make things even better

And it's my turn to be sorry for the off-topic discussion. I don't particularly advocate for including 32bit lightmaps in TFix but I tought, as it's now possible with v1.19, that someone had to propose a way for people who want smoother lights to get them easily.

This patch is awsome!!! it was only thanks to Tannar that i got aware of this new patch, im playing now the new mission "Between these dark walls" by Schacky, amazing graphics!!! guess i wont have to use my old pc any longer :-)

I've finally got around to getting my TG updated with the new patch using TFix. Easy as pie - so thank you very much indeed, voodoo47, for all the hard work involved.

This patch is great guys, the game looks better than ever and the new stuff in the mesh pack is pretty damn snazzy looking (I'm still not sure if I like the replacement of some Thief Gold models with ones from Thief 2, but it may grow on me after awhile...)

I'm having a minor technical problem, and I'm sorry in advance if this has been asked 1,000 times already: it seems when I play the game for an extended amount of time (say, over half an hour) I start getting random bouts of slowdown when I save or go to a menu. It only lasts a few seconds and then goes back to a liquidy smooth framerate, but it gets kind of annoying after it happens a dozen or so times. I'm running it with all of the optional mods installed through Darkloader on a computer with a AMD six-core processor with 10 gigs of RAM and Windows 7 64 bit and some crappy Radeon card, if that info is useful at all.

Edit: Also, and I feel really dumb since apparently no one else needed help with this, how do you go about turning on the new features 1.19 added, like improved mantling and HDR lighting?

Zombified
    improved mantling is enabled by default. advanced visual effects are not, and it will stay that way, as they have serious impact on framerate. as for the slowdowns, I would try running without darkloader.

Page 12 of 114 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762112 ... LastLast