TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 20707580859095100105110115116117118119120
Results 2,976 to 2,985 of 2985

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Zombified
    yeah, as mentioned a couple of times, hdmod takes over completely.

@voodoo47 does tfix still install squirrel.osm in a subdirectory, so that its only loaded via uber_mod_path? that configuration caused problems for one player, who tried to disable all mods before starting 'making a profit', only to find that it broke the mission by preventing squirrel from being loaded too. see my comments here.

Looks like I missed that discussion. The feature of putting a "*" in the disabled mods string to disable all mods has always been a thing in NewDark loaders, and using it has always been a gotcha in that it disables everything including fix mods etc. But AngelLoader's explicit "Disable all mods" checkbox has probably made this pitfall more likely due to it being an easy one-click option that doesn't have any indication of causing problems. At the time I just thought it would be an easy convenience feature to lessen the somewhat user-unfriendly nature of the disabled mods string.

I'm partway through work on an improved "disabled mods" section in AngelLoader, where you'll be able to see a list of mods that you can check and uncheck per-FM, and also I want to either remove the "Disable all mods" checkbox, or else have some kind of "disable visual mods only" or "disable all mods that aren't functional/fixes/necessary scripts/etc." though that would require it knowing by name which was which I guess.

Zombified
    well, the game needs to load the script somehow, and if you disable load on EVERYTHING, then yes, it will not get loaded. it doesn't matter whether the script is in a subfolder or not.

you should consider uber_mod_path a dev option, not to be touched unless you are very, VERY sure you know what you are doing/you want to not load anything and are aware of all the consequences.

squirrel.osm is not a mod though. its just a component of newdark. it should be installed right next to gen.osm. it ought to be the case that with no config set up for mods at all, that running “thief.exe -fm foo” allows foo’s missions to load squirrel.osm (if they have it in their script_load table) just as they load gen.osm or convict.osm.

Zombified
    the 3rdparty scripts are in the OSM folder to safeguard against misbehaved fm authors who distribute their fms with (outdated) scripts - the ubermod osm load will make sure the newest scripts from the OSM folder are loaded no matter what is in the fm root. this would be undesirable only in a very edge case scenario - if that happens, forum support/manual intervention is the best solution, most likely.

will go through the linked thread thoroughly to confirm. //yep. technically, I could duplicate the script in the root, but I don't like making a mess of things, the solution below would be more preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    AngelLoader's explicit "Disable all mods" checkbox
    perhaps split this into "disable all mods" (mod_path), and "disable all scripts" (uber_mod_path).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 3rd Oct 2021 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    the 3rdparty scripts are in the OSM folder to safeguard against misbehaved fm authors who distribute their fms with (outdated) scripts - the ubermod osm load will make sure the newest scripts from the OSM folder are loaded no matter what is in the fm root.
    okay. i still disagree with this approach; but i have had this argument with other fm authors telling them not to bundle squirrel.osm (and not sure if i convinced them), so i get where youre coming from.

Zombified
    it's kind of a lose-lose situation. hopefully Fen can fix it in AngelLoader, I think that would be the best solution here.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    perhaps split this into "disable all mods" (mod_path), and "disable all scripts" (uber_mod_path).
    I hadn't thought of that. That would certainly solve the most pressing issue at hand.

I also want to deal with the dml fixes too though (FMDML and T2FMDML). Those are normally specified in with the regular mod_path stuff, but in general you probably don't want those disabled either.

So maybe:

Code:
    | ----------------|
    | [ ] usermods    |
    | [ ] fmdml       |
    | [ ] hdmod       |
    | [ ] (etc)       |
    | ----------------|

[ ] Disable all mods (quick)
    [ Advanced... ]
     (normally hidden section)
     [ ] Disable DML fixes
     [ ] Disable scripts
     [ ] Disable absolutely everything

Zombified
    sure why not. also, they are 3rdparty scripts, technically. maybe add some description that would make it clear selecting this may make things not work at all ("make sure you know what you are doing").

Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 20707580859095100105110115116117118119120