TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 297984899499104109114119124125126127128129
Results 3,201 to 3,221 of 3221

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Right below the first lines of cam_ext.cfg, I have the following lines, which look suspiciously like the ones you might need:

Code:
    ; use a single resolution for both menu system and in-game, with normal double buffering (in fullscreen)
    single_display_mode 2

; same as above but with triple buffering
    ;single_display_mode 3
    ; alternative buffering mode that uses blitting instead of buffer flipping in fullscreen, the same method
    ; as windowed mode uses (vsync may sporadically miss frame starts on some systems)
    ;single_display_mode

; scale menu system to fit screen (in "single_display_mode") using 3D HW for best quality
    ; (if you're having trouble like a black screen when starting the game try mode 0 or 1)
    ; when "use_d3d_display" is enabled, 3D HW is always used, this only sets the scale mode to fit screen
    ui_scale_mode 2
    You see here several modes that can be enabled (single_display_mode 2, single_display_mode 3, single_display_mode [no mode number]), of which only mode 2 is enabled, while mode 3 and "no mode number" (=alternative buffering mode) are disabled ("commented out"). You can disable mode 2 by putting a semicolon (";") before the "single_display_mode 2" line, and then enable one of the other two modes by removing the semicolon before that one.

You can also put a semicolon before "single_display_mode 2" and then enter another line like "single_display_mode 1" or "single_display_mode 0" ("0" is the number zero here, not the capital letter "O"). I assume this is what "try mode 0 or 1" above means; however, it could also refer to the line "ui_scale_mode 2". Whether mode 0 is the same as "single_display_mode" (with no number given), I do not know. The lines are somewhat confusing for me anyway.

Read the comments between these lines, experiment with these values, but make sure you can get back to whatever entries were in your cam_ext.cfg before starting to experiment. We might not be able to reconstruct them if you forget how they were in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    yes, if you have a win2000/xp computer with a voodoo card (even 32bit win7, iirc), the latest 3rparty drivers will allow you to run NewDark in the dx9 mode.

see the docs, new_config_vars.txt for all the new config vars. you can run the menu at the same same resolution as the game, or not.
    This is all amazing. Before I go ahead and try these tweaks I just wanted to post what I have found so far. I can access the game but I still cannot access the depth buffer. It seems like the injector cannot find a valid camera so it still is looking at it as a flat image.
    My current log shown in the thief.log file is as follows -

: D3DProvider: Enumeration done
    : sw framerate cap requested (10000 us)
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 2560x1440x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 0 2D) ; 2d_surf_mode: 0
    : CreateDevice: res = D3D_OK ; 2560x1440 fmt=22 zfmt=71 cnt=1 ms=0 swap=1 fs=1 hz=0 pres=1 flags=2
    : Loaded script module "miss02.osm" [FileModDate=1999-Sep-28]
    : Loaded script module "script-t1.osm" [FileVer=2.1.0.0 ; ProductVer=2.1.0.0 ; FileModDate=2009-Aug-19]
    : Loaded script module "nvscript.osm" [FileVer=1.2.4.0 ; ProductVer=1.2.4.0 ; FileModDate=2018-Aug-21]
    : Loaded script module "squirrel.osm" [FileVer=1.0.2.0 ; ProductVer=1.0.2.0 ; FileModDate=2018-Oct-30]
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 2560x1440x32 ; mode 2560x1440x32 (7 9 1 3D) ; 2d_surf_mode: 3
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 2560x1440x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 1 2D) ; 2d_surf_mode: 0
    andthe cam_ext.cfg file is using
    single_display_mode 2
    ui_scale_mode 2

EDIT: Something I would like to know how is the developer accessing the depth buffer because they are managing to add SSAA to the game
    d3d_disp_enable_atoc [<0 - 2>]
    if the Developer of TFix could let me know which command it is to turn off all overlays and other elements so that injectors can access the same information as the above command.
    I am not smart enough for this but if someone has any knowledge of this would have a clue, that would be grand. I have also ran an apitrace to try and find this information.
    Last edited by speedwagen; 24th Jan 2024 at 08:32. Reason: TO update with new information

Zombified
    you are confusing the Voodoo with the Raven.

I'm the maintainer of TFix, putting all the pieces together into one easy to install package, making sure all the gears are well oiled and mesh together properly. and there is the Raven, who provides the NewDark engine on which the entire deal rides on. so a question about how the engine works would be his domain. but he is unavailable, so if you aren't finding what you need in the documentation.. well, out of luck, probably.

you are confusing the Voodoo with the Raven.

I'm the maintainer of TFix, putting all the pieces together into one easy to install package, making sure all the gears are well oiled and mesh together properly. and there is the Raven, who provides the NewDark engine on which the entire deal rides on. so a question about how the engine works would be his domain. but he is unavailable, so if you aren't finding what you need in the documentation.. well, out of luck, probably.
    Oh no worries! I wasnt really fishing for anyone in particular. Thanks for getting back to me though.

I've installed and used TFix before (at least ten years already since the first time, then on Win7), but I have a question regarding the redistributable and DirectX while installing on Windows 10. I've done a clean install of TG on a laptop that has Windows 10, the Win10 OS installed on that laptop back in spring 2018. It's a wholly offline laptop, no Win10 updates since 2018. However, is it likely that the redist and DirectX are already installed in the laptop ? And is Win10 compatible with the redist and DirectX needed for TFix, despite their age ? I'm asking to avoid any confusion, as I haven't installed and patched TG on Win10 before.

Zombified
    try not installing the DX redist and see whether you can launch the game. if you can, well, what ain't broke..

try not installing the DX redist and see whether you can launch the game. if you can, well, what ain't broke..
    In case it doesn't work, should I do a clean (re)install of the game ?

Zombified
    1) install the game
    2) patch it with TFix
    3) run the game

if it doesn't work, install the DX redist.

1) install the game
    2) patch it with TFix
    3) run the game

if it doesn't work, install the DX redist.
    Thank you. This is the TFix install rule of thumb I've been most interested in.

Off to install TFix, then...

----

Update from a few hours later:
    TFix is installed and things seem to be working fine in the menus, cutscenes and missions themselves, so I suppose there will be no need to add the redist and DirectX. My laptop is also handling the game very well. It's nearly cool and there's no performance hiccups. If I find any issues in the weeks ahead, I'll search this thread to find if it hasn't been covered already, and if I don't find the answer, I'll ask.

Thank you again for being TFix's caretaker and patiently answering my Win10 related questions. I'm glad to have the game finally installed on my laptop, after years of hesitating about it (wasn't sure how it'd handle the performance even for an older 1990s game, but it seems a non-issue). I also plan to buy a new desktop soon, so you can bet I'll definitely have two different TFix installs. In the past ten years, I've never had any issues with my older TFix desktop install, so I can't praise TFix highly enough. You and the gentleman who worked on NewDark have done some excellent work.
    Last edited by Petike the Taffer; 11th Feb 2024 at 21:53.

Zombified
    speaking of work, beta time;

- TFix mods are now loaded as proper mods, manager is included (dmm.exe), can enable/disable as desired, no need to run the patcher again and again
    - EP2 and NecroAge can also be loaded as proper mods, the manager will extract and load the archives (they are not updated for full TFix compatibility yet, minor issues will happen)
    - can disable RESBASE in the manager to get 100% compatibility with fan missions (no TFix resource interference). doing this and then playing OMs is probably not a great idea. make sure RESBASE always, ALWAYS has the LOWEST priority if enabled (manager will show an issue with it, ignore this)
    - vanilla and DDFixed executables should still work (needs verification), win9x compatibility should also be preserved
    - no updates to other resources or fixes, this is a functionality test release

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3F?usp=sharing

start from a fresh T1/TG install (GOG, steam, cd, dvd), once patched with the beta, it's recommended to use the mod manager (dmm.exe) to launch the game for the first time. try testing multiple mod combinations, especially if you have some unusual build (say, French T1 non-gold). managing mods in the manager means you have more power, but with greater power comes greater responsibility - messing up the priorities may result in minor issues (should be ok as long as you keep RESBASE at the bottom, but T2 world textures having higher priority than EP2 is not the greatest plan, for example). whatever weird anomaly you find, snap a screen and post here.

//updated to 17feb release. should be ok to just apply it to a 16feb patched install.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 18th Feb 2024 at 15:00.

//updated to 17feb release.
    Oh, nice, thanks!

Zombified
    and I'm thinking the old "disable FSAA?" popup should maybe be retired. last intel that had issues with this is probably 15 years (or more) old.

also, any other ideas, anything else that should be removed/added to the patcher, now's the time.

//hmm, slurp the carrybody mod in?
    Last edited by voodoo47; 17th Feb 2024 at 11:51.

//hmm, slurp the carrybody mod in?
    Hell yeah! This is what TFix is currently missing compared to T2Fix. No reason not to include CarryBody.

Zombified
    ok, it's in, beta 18feb build is up.

I have to admit I don't quite love all the new butts, but hey, it's a mod you now can disable or enable whenever you like, so it's fine, as the choice is yours.

any comments on the new mod manager? is the window properly sized upon the first launch? other issues maybe?

Zombified
    NecroAge bugfixed WIP release available, should now be compatible with TFix beta.

Zombified
    ..more practical questions - currently, FM dmls are autoloaded, should they be available in the mod manager so the user would be able to disable/enable easily?

..more practical questions - currently, FM dmls are autoloaded, should they be available in the mod manager so the user would be able to disable/enable easily?
    I'd say yes, thanks

Zombified
    don't like it too much as this really should be left on, but ok, FM dmls will be available as a mod in the next release.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 21st Feb 2024 at 11:04.

Yeah, it occurred to me we might be opening up a can of worms with that ;-)

Zombified
    T2Fix is doing it so I'll just mirror that. same goes for the modfolder, it's DMM (SS2 style) in the current beta, but will change it to MODS again.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 20th Feb 2024 at 15:01.

Zombified
    TFix_1.27_21_Feb_2024 is out, delete the now redundant DMM folder after patching if you were using a previous beta. the extra FM dmls are now in, thorough testing would be appreciated. fonts updated so now you are able to use B when writing additional map notes.

if you are using NecroAge wip, make sure to update to the 21_Feb_2024 release as well (same download location).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 22nd Feb 2024 at 07:59.

Zombified
    almost forgot, the new resource arrangement and functionality means hdmod compatibility, which already was held together just by rubber bands and toothpicks, will suffer (to be precise, if you install hdmod, it will work, but you will not get the resource fixes, as their location is now out of hdmod's reach. and firing up the modmanager will overwrite its cam_mod.ini, forcing you to reinstall hdmod completely if you haven't backed up the ini beforehand). the only solution is to get hdmod into a proper mod format and load it as a standard mod, a process not made easy by its installer.

welp, I guess we'll cross that bridge once we come to it..

//turns out this is actually quite easy - open the hdmod installer exe with 7zip, extract the hdmod folder into the TFix MODS folder, use the mod manager to load it. enable the TFix T2 skies if you want dynamic skies. other extra mods off, probably. kill the duplicate T2 skies folder inside hdmod to save 24mb of space.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 25th Feb 2024 at 09:35.

Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 297984899499104109114119124125126127128129