TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080859095100105110115120125126127128129130
Results 3,226 to 3,248 of 3248

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    TFix 1.27b is up;

- reconstructed resources and mods to accommodate the new mod manager, mods now can be enabled/disabled with ease, also the TFix RESBASE is now set up as a mod that can be paused to ensure compatibility with improperly set up fan missions.
    - the FMdml folder now contains all fm fixes from Jax64's repo. can also be paused in the mod manager.
    - carry body mod is now integrated.
    - few more fixed resources and map fixes.
    - hdmod is much less pain in the neck to manage (pay extra attention to the TFix install instructions).

first post modified accordingly. if using EP2 or NecroAge, make sure to download the latest versions. if you were using the wip TFix versions, delete the MODS folder before patching with 1.27b just to be sure.

any issues, let me know as always.
    Can't download from google chrome, file says its got viruses, I downloaded it on my phone and then transferred it but after scanning Windows defender detected 2 trojans and then deleted the file, anything that can be done about this?

I uploaded the .zip that was downloaded as well as the .exe inside it to Virustotal, and no viruses were found. Looking at postings in this thread dealing with similar problems when downloading AngelLoader, one may assume that Chrome appears to be over-protective at the time, and probably Windows Defender too. Try to tell Defender that it has to make an exception for this file, or try to tell it to quarantine files instead of deleting them instantly. I don't know how to do that since I don't have a current Windows on my machine, and don't use Chrome either, so I can't tell you how exactly you can do this.

And above all, try to find Defender's as well as Chrome's butt(s) and give them a real hard kick!

Zombified
    yeah. the only real 1.27b addition is the mod manager exe, source is available on github for anyone to check.

this has been an issue in the past - the installer exe is something new that has not been downloaded too much, the exe has exes inside, scripts that move, delete and modify files.. this may make some antivirus scream bloody murder. apart from telling it not to, there isn't much that can be done.

Hey, I have a problem where apparently I have to decide between two things; have smooth fullscreen with no input delay or frame tearing or whatever, yet it will make my PC's CPU overheat, especially when I alt-tab...Or play it on windowed which doesn't overheat, but have a very sluggish mouse with some weird frame pacing.

Is there any way I can play fullscreen, without my CPU overheating when I alt-tab? Or perhaps make my Windowed be just as smooth as fullscreen? Tell me if I should post anything, hardware info or my cam_ext, I'll do so.

Zombified
    if this is a laptop, then you may have to assign a high performance profile to the game manually.

basically it seems like your computer thinks fullscreen Thief is not worthy of more cooling fan rpm for some reason, you have to tell it that's not the case.

Make TFix without mods enabled equivalent to TFix Lite, i.e. the raw, flawed original game fixed to work under T2/NewDark without any other considerations made, so that Lite is not necessary and everyone can (finally) move to just TFix.

Zombified
    this has been considered, but would be hard to implement, pretty much forcing me to redo everything from scratch (again). just having a standalone small zip (TFix lite) available for people who essentially don't want anything TFix (full) offers is much more practical.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 29th Mar 2024 at 09:10.

I missed this

I was thinking something along the lines of just packaging the Lite zip in the Full installer, and having it fire off if the user selected some kind of "original, fully unmodded" checkbox, vs. the "voodoo47's Director's Cut/Special Edition" default that is fine staying default, since the release is partially about mods anyways. But the release is also named TFix, which to people reading that name implies just fixing it to work, so it would be a useful checkbox to have in the installer. Lite would stick around since T2Fix and Sneaky Upgrade also do the big/small releases too, yet their big releases seem to have a way to get to "just fix the game" mode without so many small director's cut flourishes.

To be honest, the main concern is actually FMs. Users of TFix Lite who want to play unbroken FMs as close to fully stock Thief 1 as possible using FMSel, cannot know if the DML fixes and custom scripts in Lite are in complete correspondence with Full. It would be nice if Lite and Full were a bit more in harmony, at least in that regard. I don't know the technical details in their entirety, however.
    Last edited by MasterFlaw; 7th Apr 2024 at 13:21.

Zombified
    latest full TFix release lets you pause/disable everything via the mod manager, so all fan missions should be compatible if you do that.

...I know the latest full TFix is compatible with FMs. That was never in question. I was talking about having confidence in TFix Lite being fully compatible with FMs.

I do not want the full TFix, because (and I have seen this echoed elsewhere) guard models are bizarrely not original, Garrett becomes chatty, GoldToDark cannot be properly realized, along with other creative changes. TFix Lite does not have these creative changes. I do not disapprove of those changes, but I personally do not want them, neither in OMs or FMs. If the full TFix could also be made to optionally have no creative changes (like the T2Fix and Sneaky Upgrade full packages can do), great, but it cannot.

Whatever, if that is not clear, I'll deal with the current situation as I have been, I guess. It's working, but I often wonder if FMs are broken in places when using the Lite package.

Zombified
    yes, you want TFix without TFix, and that's TFix lite, been there, done that. the lite package only has NewDark and a few fixes that are necessary to get the original maps into an usable state, and nothing else. if you want something extra (like force load the latest scripts), you will have to add it yourself.

the "is TFix Lite being fully compatible with FMs" question makes no sense, the package just exists, and it's the fan missions that have various levels of compatibility with it. hence, the FMdml project, included in TFix full (but also downloadable separately so people who want to construct their own Thief installs can apply it manually). if you are asking whether the lite package will cause issues with fan mission resources, then the answer is no, it will not (because there are no resources included, modified or otherwise).

so it's either you let the people who are maintaining the environment take care of everything, or you do it yourself. choose your poison.

ok, I'll try to answer in one sentence - yes, many old and unmaintained fan missions will have issues in a NewDark Thief install that wouldn't be present in an oldDark Thief install, unless fixes that are meant to adjust for this are applied.

Yes, and could those DML/script fixes please be added to the TFix Lite zip, so both branches are in congruence and everyone can enjoy FMs equally, if you are so unwilling to add the TFix Lite install state to TFix Full, the same way T2Fix and Sneaky Upgrade maintainers seem to have no problem offering a base unmodified state (Thief 3 Gold merged missions are not forced on me, for instance, and yet I still appreciate having the full package for that option; nobody would dismissively say I want Sneaky Upgrade without Sneaky Upgrade to try and hand-wave it away).

You personally do not like the HD Texture Mod, so I know you understand what it is like to have a preference on creative changes. Thief Gold came out a full year after The Dark Project with none of those leftovers fixed, so they are absolutely not supposed to be there, and therefore are fanmade creative changes, like inserting deleted scraps back into a movie. This is fine, some people love that, just like some people love the HD Texture Mod. But see some reason here, and look to the other maintainers; that stuff should be optional.

I've said my piece, and expect nothing.

Zombified
    yes, but they don't have to deal with multiple different game builds/resource sources - to allow the user to disable the fixed maps in the modmanager, I would probably have to sacrifice T1 support (making TFix TG only), and I don't think that would be a good thing. so in your particular situation (if I understand it correctly), I would recommend keeping a TFix full install for the fan missions (so that FMdmls would load), and a TFix lite install for the original missions if you want to play them in a close to vanilla state (fun fact - wanting to play unmodified original missions AND autoload FMdmls is the EXACT one combination TFix full currently does not support, anything else will work fine but not this).

FMdmls could indeed be added to the lite package without much trouble - I need to think about what I want to do with the lite build (which is due to an update anyway).

the only problem I have with hdmod is that the name suggests it is close to vanilla, and that is absolutely not the case - as already mentioned a lot of times, it's a complete rework, and should be marketed as such.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 8th Apr 2024 at 15:04.

if this is a laptop, then you may have to assign a high performance profile to the game manually.

basically it seems like your computer thinks fullscreen Thief is not worthy of more cooling fan rpm for some reason, you have to tell it that's not the case.
    Sorry, it took very long to respond, life happens...
    It's not a laptop, it's a desktop PC that has 2018+ tech including a Ryzen 7 5800X and Nvidia RTX 2070.

I really have no idea what would make my CPU go heaty when I alt-tab.

Zombified
    buy better cooling? set the fan to a fixed speed?

Custom resolutions not showing up in-game

Whenever I try to add a custom resolution through cam_ext.cfg, it doesn't show up at all. I am using Tfix Lite on an original TDP disk.

Zombified
    hey, you are the GOG forum guy, right? missed your post here somehow - copy paste from the GOG forum;

the TFix full and TFix lite executables are identical, so their capability to display the game in a certain resolution is also the same. TFix full tries to check for your desktop resolution during install and sets the game to that if it succeeds, that's the only difference. so with TFix lite, you need to open the video settings from the main menu and set whatever resolution you like there - most, if not all standard resolutions should be exposed.

are you using something unusual perhaps? if so, both cam.cfg and cam_ext.cfg will have to be edited to add the extra resolution.

example cam.cfg res line (edit the one that exists);
    game_screen_size 1780 1000
    example cam_ext.cfg res line (you need to add this into an empty line);
    user_mode1 1780 1000

hey, you are the GOG forum guy, right? missed your post here somehow - copy paste from the GOG forum;

the TFix full and TFix lite executables are identical, so their capability to display the game in a certain resolution is also the same. TFix full tries to check for your desktop resolution during install and sets the game to that if it succeeds, that's the only difference. so with TFix lite, you need to open the video settings from the main menu and set whatever resolution you like there - most, if not all standard resolutions should be exposed.

are you using something unusual perhaps? if so, both cam.cfg and cam_ext.cfg will have to be edited to add the extra resolution.

example cam.cfg res line (edit the one that exists);

example cam_ext.cfg res line (you need to add this into an empty line);
    Hey thanks for the reply, I tried what you said on a fresh install and it simply resets my res to 640x480. Could it be because I'm trying to set it to a resolution above 2560x1440? That is what it seems to max out at for the default resolutions after installing tfix lite. I'm trying to set it to 3000x1440, or 3440x1440.

Zombified
    try to copy cam.cfg, cam_ext.cfg, and thief.exe from the already working full install to the lite install.

try to copy cam.cfg, cam_ext.cfg, and thief.exe from the already working full install to the lite install.
    Made some progress, it turns out that 3440x1440 actually does work on all versions of thief and with tfix full/lite, but 3000x1440 doesn't (presumably because it's a custom resolution?).
    Even setting the desktop resolution to 3000x1440 doesn't work. I guess I'm fine with 3440x1440 but I would prefer the smaller resolution, are custom resolutions known to not work?

Zombified
    try forcing windowed in cam_ext as well.

buy better cooling? set the fan to a fixed speed?
    Hi, just wanted to mention that I've fixed this problem by using the DXVK wrapper and playing the game on Windowed, as well as limiting my frames by what I have -2 (75-2 = 73) in Nvidia Control Panel.

It seems that DXVK does something to the frame pacing that makes it not do micro-stutters when I play on Windowed, now I can play it smoothly without the unexplained overheat when I alt-tab.

Zombified
    sounds kind of duct-tapey, but hey, if it works..

Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080859095100105110115120125126127128129130