TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 113 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819202122273237424752576267 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Sorry if it has been asked before, but does this fix work with the Steam version of Thief Gold?

Many thanks to the creator of this btw!

Zombified
    yes. although it's recommended that you move the game folder from the steam folder into some simpler location, like C:\games\thief or similar.

I'll be able to point the installer to the Thief Gold folder though, right? No worries, i know where it is. :P

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    I'll be able to point the installer to the Thief Gold folder though, right? No worries, i know where it is. :P
    I think the main problem is that with some OSes Steam puts it in a protected folder and either the fix or the game itself (maybe both,) have problems accessing protected folders without jumping through far too many hoops. Most people find it easier to just move the game somewhere unprotected.

Zombified
    exactly. protected folders are not healthy for old games. I would move the game first, and run the fix after that, just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kokobollo View Post
    ok, my OS is XP 32bit;

I don't know it would help,
    my intel gpu doesn't good at opengl.
    every opengl based games are stuttering, even HL1 or CS1.6

I guess it doesn't render opengl lighting properly.
    when i see flickering lamp in HL1, it stutters a lot.
    You don't need opengl for Thief. (As far as I know, thief runs on directx.) You need DirectX. Just make sure you have the latest directx9 package on your system.

Edit: Hmm, looking back on the previous page, there was mention of opengl. I must be missing something here.

Alright. I think Steam has the option to install the game in a folder other than the Steam folder now anyway. I will do that then. Thanks guys, looking forward to play this again, and now even in HD resolution and without any quirks.

Yep, though I imagine you could copy and paste your thief install to another directory outside of Program Files as another solution.

Zombified
    ah, that opengl stuff is not related to this - basically, I'm looking for an intel file on which I could hook the intel fix, so the installer would be able to use the proper config automatically, and the intel guys would be fixed out of the box, not requiring additional manual edits. originally, the opengl icd seemed like a good candidate, until I've discovered that it's missing in the default windows driver. but it seems like nsis installer is able to check for partial matches as well, so igfx* should be enough. now all I have to figure out where vista64/win7 64/win8 64 places the system dlls (I don't think it's system32 anymore), and the fix can be added to the next release.

Hey again,

i installed Thief Gold now and installed the TFix. Seems to work fine, however i'm having some graphical corruptions in the menus as can be seen here:

Actually i can't even see the option to turn off "Always run", which is quite important to turn off for me. Any ideas what could cause this?

Zombified
    something has interfered with the install procedure. make sure no files are set to read only, and that your antivirus is not blocking the installer in any way. I assume the game is out of the protected program files folder, right?

Yep, i have my Steam library on my D: partition. Should all be good. Antivirus blocking, hmm... it never did stuff like that, but of course i can't swear on it. It would surprise me though. You think i should do a reinstall? :/
    Last edited by chk772; 3rd Jan 2013 at 20:06.

Zombified
    I think I know what happened - you haven't removed the game from the steam folder, and steam either did not allow the patcher to copy over all files, or replaced the new files with the original ones from the steam server (I think steam keeps track about it's game files, and when they are changed, it interprets it as "damage" and restores the "proper" ones) when the patching procedure was done.

I would start all over - uninstall the game, delete all remaining files (if any), install it again, manually move (or copy, if you don't want steam complaining about missing files) the freshly installed game into some unprotected location (C:\games or D:\games), and then run the patcher. that should be all.

note to self - the patcher needs some checks that would display an error message when files are not copied successfully.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 4th Jan 2013 at 04:53.

I did it like that now, reinstalled after uninstalling and removing the remaining folder, then copied the folder from the steamapps/common folder to D:/ and applied the TFix. Menus look good now. I was surprised a little that i'm able to run a Steam game outside Steam actually, they probably didn't protect it i guess. Usually that shouldn't be possible due to copy protection, but maybe it works because of the TFix modification.

Btw, is it normal that i can't climb some higher steps while being crouched or sneaking? For example i can't climb the steps in front of the door in the starting room of the training mission.

Zombified
    yeah, its a known issue - not really a bug, more like "the way things work in the new engine". basically, some maps need to be slightly adjusted to accommodate the new engine properly (in this case, the stairs need to be made just a little bit smaller). either use mantle, or run forward, that should do it for now.

edit: actually, no. fired up the vanilla game, and it behaves exactly the same, so this behavior is 100% correct.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 4th Jan 2013 at 10:31.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    I was surprised a little that i'm able to run a Steam game outside Steam actually, they probably didn't protect it i guess. Usually that shouldn't be possible due to copy protection, but maybe it works because of the TFix modification.
    The game runs outside of Steam even without the TFix patch - it's one of a number of games that don't use the Steam authentication system.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post

edit: actually, no. fired up the vanilla game, and it behaves exactly the same, so this behavior is 100% correct.
    Alright, thanks for clearing this up. It's been a long time since i played this the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    The game runs outside of Steam even without the TFix patch - it's one of a number of games that don't use the Steam authentication system.
    Yep, i figured so. They probably thought it wasn't worth it for such an old game which you can have for so small money.

Videos won't play

TFix works perfectly for me in Win 7, except for the video playback. Rebooting the computer seems to makes the videos want to play (with TFix) -- the vanilla version (without this mod) works perfectly as well!

Hm, i feel a bit stupid asking for everything... but what exactly is the vanilla version? And why does there have to be codenames for anything so that newbies like me have to ask 24/7...

It's hard isn't it - I tend to google these terms. From Wikipedia:

"The term "vanilla" is often used to describe the original version of a game, that has not been modified with third-party addons, nor developer updates. It can also refer to the original game engine when source ports or expansion packs are available."

If you send me a list of all the terms you come across, I'll find the answers and stick them in a sticky thread somewhere.

Thanks. Didn't know this was such a common term, so i didn't even think of googling it myself.
    Last edited by chk772; 4th Jan 2013 at 15:35.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Ooooooh, you called nickie "dude". I suggest the "duck and run" move right away.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    It's hard isn't it - I tend to google these terms. From Wikipedia:

"The term "vanilla" is often used to describe the original version of a game, that has not been modified with third-party addons, nor developer updates. It can also refer to the original game engine when source ports or expansion packs are available."

If you send me a list of all the terms you come across, I'll find the answers and stick them in a sticky thread somewhere.
    That is correct. The vanilla version of any program is one without any modifications or add-ons applied. It is the original version of that program.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Ooooooh, you called nickie "dude". I suggest the "duck and run" move right away.
    Oops, edited.

Pay no attention. I was happily remembering my pre-Christmas sylph-like shape which was definitely dudeish. And having just resorted to my friend, Google, I see that dude can be applied to all genders and apparently goes back to the 1870s but unfortunately I don't have an "extremely fashion-forward manner". Sounds very exhausting.

And, welcome to TTLG E-Daddy.

Page 17 of 113 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819202122273237424752576267 ... LastLast