TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 19 of 114 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324293439444954596469 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Well, a clean Thief Gold install seemed to have done the trick. I first re-installed Thief Gold, then applied TFix 1.13 with AV disabled. Then tested the game in English, worked fine. Then I applied the French patch. And it's still working nice.

I still don't know why the weapons disappeared in the first place, but I'm glad they're now back...
    Back to Thief play now! Very nice to be able to play this on modern machines in 1980x1020. Big thanks to the ones who made the patch and the fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    ok, try this then;
    voodoo, this worked. One thing I didn't mention is that each time I installed Thief, I did "typical". This last time I did "full". Anyway, I copied your files, grabbed the .crf files from the game CDs. Game started fine, opening movie started, got into 1st mission, weapons appear in hand and I can use them, Mouse_2 (use item) also worked.

However, the Options menus are messed up:

Last edited by Neil_McCauley; 7th Jan 2013 at 00:09.

Zombified
    not making a full install is definitely a bad idea, but as you have a full install now, let's concentrate on the remaining issue - check the PATCHES folder (right in your thief folder), you should have following files in there (they should not be zero bytes in size):
    fam.crf
    intrface.crf
    mesh.crf
    obj.crf

open your install.cfg (in notepad, for example), you should see this:
    Code:
    ;cd_path .\
    install_path .\
    language english
    resname_base .\mods+.\mods\EP\Thief1+.\mods\EP+.\patches+.\res
    load_path .\
    script_module_path .\
    movie_path .\movies
    correct?

edit: one more thing - first, double check that all 12 files with crf extension have been moved to the RES folder (and no crf files are left in your thief folder), then check your thief folder, and see whether there is a folder named intrface. if it is there, delete (or rename) it.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 7th Jan 2013 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_McCauley View Post
    However, the Options menus are messed up:
    Sounds familiar. ^^

Neil_McCauley: I had that same problem with my menus, when I tested the game with TFix on my laptop with Nvidia graphics (8200M) in Windows 7 X64. Has Voodoo's advice worked for you on that problem? Haven't been on this laptop recently because I have no use for such a horrible thing like an HP Laptop.

Zombified
    older versions of TFix did not have the check that removes rogue interface folders (basically, intrface.crf file or intrface folder must NOT exist in the root thief folder, as this will mess up resource loading priorities and break the menus as result) - I suggest you just try the latest version.

the problematic intrface folder is known to exist in T1 (non-gold) mastertronic version, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    not making a full install is definitely a bad idea, but as you have a full install now, let's concentrate on the remaining issue - check the PATCHES folder (right in your thief folder), you should have following files in there (they should not be zero bytes in size):
    fam.crf
    intrface.crf
    mesh.crf
    obj.crf

open your install.cfg (in notepad, for example), you should see this:
    Code:
    ;cd_path .\
    install_path .\
    language english
    resname_base .\mods+.\mods\EP\Thief1+.\mods\EP+.\patches+.\res
    load_path .\
    script_module_path .\
    movie_path .\movies
    correct?

edit: one more thing - first, double check that all 12 files with crf extension have been moved to the RES folder (and no crf files are left in your thief folder), then check your thief folder, and see whether there is a folder named intrface. if it is there, delete (or rename) it.
    voodoo,
    PATCHES folder has those .crf files, install.cfg looks like that (except that I have language english+german+french - I just changed it to english), BUT, I had the same .crf files in the main THIEF directory as well as the RES folder. I deleted those, and now the Options menus are fine!! You are a very good de-bugger! My is off to you.

So it seems that copying and replacing the necessary changed files worked, but using your installer doesn't. I'm new to Windows 7; I've checked and rechecked the permissions on the directory C:\Games (full control to all Users), but I guess the Read Only thing is causing trouble? Weird that I kept having the same problem even when installing TFix in the Admin account. I'm befuddled..

So far, the game looks amazing. Nice work!! Now if I only I could sneak a DirectX update on to my work laptop to play it from USB...

Zombified
    all I can say is that some security program/feature is probably interfering with the patching process. still, it would be great to know what missing component is causing that sword issue. I'll send you a private message.

if you can't install dx9 on that laptop, you can try to use just the dll, drop it to the thief folder and the game should run.

//ok, it seems like all those strange issues were caused by not making a full install of thief (as I do not have the original cd release anymore, just GOG and the dvd Anthology edition, I forgot that you can indeed make just a partial install with the cd). will make a check for that as well.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 8th Jan 2013 at 06:58.

First off, congratulations on the terrific work you've done.

I've got a question. I just installed TFix 1.13, and everything seems to be working fine for the most part. The only problem is that my forward movement speed seems way too slow. It's been a long time since I've played Thief, but I'm pretty sure I should be moving faster. My speed when I strafe left or right is about twice as fast as when I walk forward. I find myself having to sprint all the time just to feel like I'm moving at a normal speed. Any suggestions?

Zombified
    you probably want the "classic" set of controls, load them through the customize controls/load menu.

Thanks. I was also wondering why walking is so slow.

Yeah, it is because in the original controls for thief, you actually walk. If you change your forward movement key to run, then you'll always run. The way I have my game set up is Garrett will run by default, but if you hold shift down then he will walk instead.

Thanks guys, that did the trick for me.

How do you sneak up to someone who's sleeping without waking them up? Even when crouching and creeping I always seem to wake people up when I get too close. I thought I remembered being able to creep up to sleeping people.

Also, can people who are sleeping be pickpocketed for items?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but it's been more than a decade since I last played this game.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yeah, it is because in the original controls for thief, you actually walk.
    No, It's because T2 interprets TG's "+forward" as "+walkslow", which is about twice slower than T2's normal "+walk", while in TG "+forward" and "+walk" are equal.

@ JDR13: You should be able to sneak up on sleeping persons by crouching + creeping, at least i was able to on the sleeping guy in Lord Bafford's Manor. The problem could be, as described above, that you use run forward and creep. Try using the "Classic Thief" key configuration.

And yeah, as far as i can remember, you can rob sleeping NPC's.

@DJ Riff:

Oh, but I thought thief 1 and 2 by default (not using this patch) had the player walk rather than run? Or are you saying he's walking even slower due to the thief 2 engine being used on thief gold?

@DJ Riff:

Oh, but I thought thief 1 and 2 by default (not using this patch) had the player walk rather than run? Or are you saying he's walking even slower due to the thief 2 engine being used on thief gold?
    Somewhat both.

Thief Gold:
    ; Thief Default Bindings
    bind w +walkfast
    bind keypad_up +walkfast
    bind up +walkfast

bind s +forward
    bind keypad_center +forward

Thief 2:
    ; Thief 2 Default
    bind shift +runon
    bind keypad_enter +runon
    bind alt +slideon

bind w +walk
    bind keypad_up +walk
    bind up +walk

bind s +backfast

; Thief 1 Default Bindings
    bind shift +creepon
    bind alt +slideon

bind w +walkfast
    bind keypad_up +walkfast
    bind up +walkfast

bind s +walk
    bind keypad_center +walk

So if the bindings are retained in Gold when installing NewDark, then W will still be running, but S will become very slow walking. If the player loads Thief 2 default buildings, then W will become walking.

Ah okay, it's been too long since I've played with default binds on Thief Gold I couldn't recall and was basing my post solely on Thief 2 having been playing that recently. Thanks for the explanation!

Ah, I forgot about Thief Gold having two forward movement keys near each other. I've always used W for forward movement and S for backward movement.

Dumb question, sorry if it's been asked: Does the new TFix beta force you to install 1.19? Shouldn't it allow you to choose? (It's not in the list of things to check off in the installer, which is why I'm asking.)

Zombified
    most of the mods included would not work properly without NewDark, so yes, patch 1.19 is mandatory (and thus, force-installed). should you require the DDFix version for some obscure reason, 1.10 is still floating around - but no support will be provided for the old versions, my hands are full enough.

if you don't want to use NewDark, you just don't install TFix, as simple as that. the unmodified GOG version should still work on most machines.

Actually, only the top two need Newdark I thought because they're for T2. The orgy's textures and enhancement pack already worked for Thief Gold. In my personal opinion I think 1.19 should be optional. Yes a person that is wanting to install thief could just not use TFix but then the player has to figure out on their own using the old method of install rather than just using tfix which is certainly more convenient. I just thought it would have been better to make it optional, though that could cause a problem too. In that case you'd need to have a warning message. Or is there a way to make certain things in the installer uncheckable? Like a prerequisite check?

Zombified
    the bugfixes are now completely dependent on NewDark (or rather, it was possible to implement them because of NewDark). so if you removed NewDark out of the patch (including all the NewDark dependent stuff), you would essentially end up with a DDFix installer that also allows quick selection of (old) mods. and that's TFix 1.10. I could, in theory, integrate it into the latest version, but that would just make the installer much bigger. no point, as long as the old version can be downloaded.

to make it short, yeah, I could do it. but it's just not worth the hassle.

Actually, only the top two need Newdark I thought because they're for T2. The orgy's textures and enhancement pack already worked for Thief Gold. In my personal opinion I think 1.19 should be optional. Yes a person that is wanting to install thief could just not use TFix but then the player has to figure out on their own using the old method of install rather than just using tfix which is certainly more convenient. I just thought it would have been better to make it optional, though that could cause a problem too. In that case you'd need to have a warning message. Or is there a way to make certain things in the installer uncheckable? Like a prerequisite check?
    Your asking a lot he has his hands full with the latest version and upgrading it.
    Programmimg is a lot of work to do correctly at least. Everytime you change something there is the potential to break something else.

Why do you wish to not use 1.19 ? It seems like eveyone else is using it and most authors are requiring it for new FM's so you will be restricting yourself to existing missions for the most part.
    It just seems like a no brainer to use it.

Yeah, sure I'm asking a lot and I know it, but when you make something you must expect to have people wanting things to be user friendly and being able to make choices on what you install. I'm not saying it's not user friendly, just that it'd make more sense to make 1.19 optional as an additional check in the installer. I don't blame him for not wanting to do it because it's extra work, I'm just disappointed is all and wanted to give my two cents on the matter. However, I realize there are the older versions of TFix so if anyone doesn't want 1.19 installed then we can just download that instead.

The reason I refuse to use 1.19 with Thief Gold is because of all the problems it's causing and I don't want to deal with it. Plus, my Thief Gold runs just fine as it is on my machine so there's no need to bother with 1.19. Now, I upgraded Thief 2 to 1.19 but that was a different situation.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 13th Jan 2013 at 14:38.

Zombified
    I don't feel like going through all the technical stuff, so let me make this short - the current version of TFix is completely, entirely and inseparably based on NewDark. there is just no way to make it optional. those who do not wish to use the NewDark version, can either use TFix 1.10 (which would probably be the final DDFix version anyway) or do nothing. the choice is always yours.

trying to maintain both versions is simply unreasonable, and replicating all the new fixes and improvements in old Dark is outright impossible. I could, in theory, create a multi installer that would allow you to launch either the DDFix or the NewDark version, but that seems just.. stupid. not going to do it.

as for T1/TG NewDark issues, there are just two major bugs on my list - the hotplates in Mage Towers (not lighting properly, forcing you to use water arrows, considered major), and the Maw portal (broken almost completely, this one is critical as it seriously affects the number of creatures spawned and therefore gameplay as well). both should be fixed in the next version(s). the rest of the problems are very minor - NewDark definitely fixes (much) more than it breaks (especially for those who can't run DDfix reliably).

Page 19 of 114 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324293439444954596469 ... LastLast