TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 23 of 115 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728333843485358636873 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by d3bug View Post
    Isn't there a way to fix AI detection on newdark? AI is able to see you in pitch black with nothing in your hands, and crouched in a corner.
    The AI has always been able to do that, IF they're chasing you.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    The AI has always been able to do that, IF they're chasing you.
    nope. sorry, you are wrong on that. i have a habit of doing exactly that (i have since i started playing back when it was first released)... running like hell into a dark room dropping all weapons and items, so they are not equipped, and ducking into a corner... AI NEVER gets me on the original Dark, but on newdark, it gets me every single time.

Zombified
    well, all I can do is refer you to the last part of the first post again. there are differences. accept them. or not. the choice is yours.

nope. sorry, you are wrong on that. i have a habit of doing exactly that (i have since i started playing back when it was first released)... running like hell into a dark room dropping all weapons and items, so they are not equipped, and ducking into a corner... AI NEVER gets me on the original Dark, but on newdark, it gets me every single time.
    Actually, that depends. As long as you leave their direct line of sight for a period of time that works (the period might be longer than it used to be, originally, it only had to be a couple of seconds.) But if you never left their direct line of sight, they would still run right to you (it happened to me several times on vanilla T1 & TG (T2 as well, but we are talking about T1G.) It actually worked wonderfully, if you flash bombed them, then ran into a shadow and hid before they recovered. Never tried that with NewDark, though.

ZylonBane
    ...dropping all weapons and items...
    WTF?

ZylonBane:

I think he meant "Un-Equip" all items.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
    Actually, that depends. As long as you leave their direct line of sight for a period of time that works (the period might be longer than it used to be, originally, it only had to be a couple of seconds.) But if you never left their direct line of sight, they would still run right to you (it happened to me several times on vanilla T1 & TG (T2 as well, but we are talking about T1G.) It actually worked wonderfully, if you flash bombed them, then ran into a shadow and hid before they recovered. Never tried that with NewDark, though.
    I know this is going to sound way out in left field, but is it possible that the AI's sight is modified by gamma on the newdark engine? I only ask such a weird question because it seems like they see me, not just bump into me, & I have to play with a high gamma setting due to lighting in the room i play in.

*NOTE: I don't seem to have this problem in T2... also, no flashbombs yet - Cragscleft prison (miss2)

but is it possible that the AI's sight is modified by gamma on the newdark engine?
    No: gamma correction is a rendering feature entirely separate from the visibility mechanics. You're just dealing with AI whose behaviours are implemented differently, but certainly not beyond the realms of manageable once you get used to them.

re-posted from tech forum re: the refresh rate thing, if anyone is interested:

OK - so, problem fixed. I can now run things at 100 fps with v-sync on, or in another way of saying, I can actually get any FPS above 60 to look right. Looks absolutely amazing. I'm not sure exactly where my cut-off for perception of flicker is, other than somewhere above 60Hz, but games definitely have a more 'real' look to them now. I had to dick around overriding the EDID (electronic monitor signature thing that tells you system what your monitor is capable of), following this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...esh-rates.html

It's a little more involved than they make out - in addition to changing the standard timings, I also had to go into the detailed timings and substitut the 'pixel clk' value in block#1 and block #2 timings for the value I got from the EVGA pixel clock tool, and raise the Max. Pxl Clk (MHz) in block#3 and 4's 'monitor range limits' fields to a rounding of the EVGA tool value.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    No: gamma correction is a rendering feature entirely separate from the visibility mechanics. You're just dealing with AI whose behaviours are implemented differently, but certainly not beyond the realms of manageable once you get used to them.
    Not being able to hide from them (at all) changes the entire dynamic of the game for me. If there is no longer any stealth element, then what's the point? I mind as well just kill em all and make my life easier. A great deal of what I enjoy about Thief is being able to hide right under their noses. I used to be able to hide in the middle of a room with nothing but a sliver of a shadow, but now they see me as though i was not hidden at all... that is no fun, it's just frustrating.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    well, all I can do is refer you to the last part of the first post again. there are differences. accept them. or not. the choice is yours.
    the link to TFix 1.10 is there as well (last DDFix version).

and, just make it perfectly clear, I'm not aware of any way how to make the AIs react exactly like they did in Old Dark.
    Last edited by Al_B; 25th Mar 2013 at 05:36. Reason: Not the ZB: unofficial patch thread

Speaking of which I installed steam thief gold using latest tfix. Worked
    perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    yes.

the link to TFix 1.10 is there as well (last DDFix version).

and, just make it perfectly clear, I'm not aware of any way how to make the AIs react exactly like they did in Old Dark.
    Thank you. That is all I needed to know from the beginning. I guess I will just have to install it inside a vm because using the older tfix doesn't seem to work for me on Windows7 x64... just crashes.

I'm worried and slightly disgusted by the increasing amount of moderation that goes into these threads.
    ZB's ranting on new posters' errors, hyperbole or general behavior was a staple of this place, including the "safe" Thief Forums.
    Unless requested by the thread starter, there was just no reason to do that.

Wow yeah it's all gone.

Administrator
    This thread is primarily about the TFix patch and helping new people get it working on their installations. People coming to this thread looking for assistance don't need to wade through arguments about whether someone is being over the top and about ZB's innermost thought processes. Those posts are certainly part of the TTLG culture, but they don't belong in this particular thread.

ZylonBane
    I have no problem with that.

Yes, I agree...Normally, I would take issue with a mass deletion of this nature, yet, as is usual, Al provides us with insightful reasoning for his constructive actions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    yet, as is usual, Al provides us with insightful reasoning for his constructive actions.
    Thanks, mother, but I told you to be less obvious about posting here.

Sorry son, I thought that was only on Wednesdays...

Zombified
    1.15 is out.

Zombified
    yeah, 1.16 hopefully.

Thanks for the update !
    Just installed it and it worked like a charme.
    However I was about to do some cleanup and scanned what old stuff (like ddfix) might be still around and wondered why there is a folder called 'PATCHES' in the main directory.
    I deleted it and figured out that at least the AUDIO menu is broken.
    Restored it and it works fine again.
    So, since this is obviously related to TFix/NewDark, could you add a text file into that directory which explains what it is needed for?
    I did not find it documented in any readme either.

Thanks!

Zombified
    to be honest, I have better things to do than write documentation right now. don't screw with any files after installing TFix - you know, the all-in-one patches are meant for people that don't want to mess with anything.

basically, the only thing that is not important is the mods folder, if you mess with patches, executables and dmls, things will go haywire really fast.

Noob question;

My in-game start menu and movie clips are playing at 1024x720. I have a 27 inch monitor at 1920x1080. Where do I fix this? Never was a issue with older/previous versions of TFix.

Page 23 of 115 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728333843485358636873 ... LastLast