TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 114 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

So not to sound impatient, but is 32-bit lightmaps for TFix still in progress?

Zombified
    yeah, 1.16 hopefully.

Thanks for the update !
    Just installed it and it worked like a charme.
    However I was about to do some cleanup and scanned what old stuff (like ddfix) might be still around and wondered why there is a folder called 'PATCHES' in the main directory.
    I deleted it and figured out that at least the AUDIO menu is broken.
    Restored it and it works fine again.
    So, since this is obviously related to TFix/NewDark, could you add a text file into that directory which explains what it is needed for?
    I did not find it documented in any readme either.

Thanks!

Zombified
    to be honest, I have better things to do than write documentation right now. don't screw with any files after installing TFix - you know, the all-in-one patches are meant for people that don't want to mess with anything.

basically, the only thing that is not important is the mods folder, if you mess with patches, executables and dmls, things will go haywire really fast.

Noob question;

My in-game start menu and movie clips are playing at 1024x720. I have a 27 inch monitor at 1920x1080. Where do I fix this? Never was a issue with older/previous versions of TFix.

Zombified
    not sure what do you mean, try to be more specific/provide screenshots. there was absolutely no change to menu and movie handling in the latest few versions of TFix, so unless you have messed up the cam_ext.cfg settings somehow, something like this should not happen. post your cam_ext.cfg as well.

//that behavior suggest that single_display_mode is not set to 2 - I can't think of any other explanation.

TFix_1.15 for TDP & TGold

I know many comments already exist about this subject but I would like to simplify this one for those who don't speak hack.

For Thief Dark Project and Thief Gold all you need to upgrade is TFix 1.15 and it will improve all graphics, water texture, skies looking great and no more annoying green texture in dark corners, you will have more options and resolutions. It makes your game look nice and crisp and more realistic looking on many textures. You will no longer have to shut down CPUs so you could simply now load and play your game like any other modern PC game. Go back to page [ 1 ] to get TFix 1.15

Zombified
    I'm actually tempted to put this "translation" into the first post.

Have a problem with Tfix! Help : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141303

Hmmmm....one of the FAQ things above says that this will not work with steam or that you have to copy the whole game somewhere else to get it to work. I tried installing the patch and my copy of thief is on steam definitely. Everything works fine and the textures are fantastic!

You just have to make sure you tell it what directly to install it.

Something like steam/apps/Common/ThiefGold

Quote Originally Posted by FenrisUlf View Post
    Hmmmm....one of the FAQ things above says that this will not work with steam or that you have to copy the whole game somewhere else to get it to work. I tried installing the patch and my copy of thief is on steam definitely. Everything works fine and the textures are fantastic!

You just have to make sure you tell it what directly to install it.

Something like steam/apps/Common/ThiefGold
    The reason for the suggestion is that steam will auto update games. That means if steam checks the game files for consistency, it will automatically replace the patched thief.exe with the original one. Steam will also do this for any file that has been modified or removed.

Ah, I see. That is definitely problematic. However, you mentioning that reminded me of something. You can actually force Steam to not auto-update the game. Or at least, on other games I have you can do that. I don't actually have Thief on Steam, but I'm guessing you can turn auto-update off for it.

If you right click on a steam game, go to properties > Updates, then you can turn auto updating off. However, I don't know if that'd turn off steam's consistency check, but usually that only happens if you verify the cache for a game yourself. I think the only game I've had it happen automatically before was TF2. I still don't know why steam decided to randomly check the file consistency. Regardless of all that, yeah, it's definitely not a bad idea to move thief out of the steam directory, which would also avoid the writing privileges issues related to Program Files.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Ah, I see. That is definitely problematic. However, you mentioning that reminded me of something. You can actually force Steam to not auto-update the game. Or at least, on other games I have you can do that. I don't actually have Thief on Steam, but I'm guessing you can turn auto-update off for it.

If you right click on a steam game, go to properties > Updates, then you can turn auto updating off. However, I don't know if that'd turn off steam's consistency check, but usually that only happens if you verify the cache for a game yourself. I think the only game I've had it happen automatically before was TF2. I still don't know why steam decided to randomly check the file consistency. Regardless of all that, yeah, it's definitely not a bad idea to move thief out of the steam directory, which would also avoid the writing privileges issues related to Program Files.
    Not necessary, just copy the entire Thief Gold folder from the Steam location to another location, like C:\Games. That way steam doesn't even know it exists . Which is what the readme recommends.

True, which is why I added the last sentence in my last post. I just wanted to give another possible solution if people don't want to bother moving files.

I sincerely doubt Steam will have ANY updates for a Thief game...ever.
    They got your cash. What more do they care about it.

However I have another concern now. While I have enjoyed seeing the new textures after installing the patch, my concern is the gameplay. I'm getting the feeling that some things are broken. I was halfway thru Assassins and now I'm trying THieves Guild. The Light/Dark Gem does not seem to be doing what it should all the time. When I'm in dark it still glows. Also I seem to be discovered more and more. When I'm in dark they can somehow see me. Even when they are close they shouldn't be able to. They seem to know where I am everywhere and I'm only playing that level on hard.

There were also some control key reset issues but I went through and changed all that again.

If I need to how do I get rid of this patch? Just redownload the game from Steam?

Zombified
    see the final note in the first post.

yeah, there is no uninstaller, so you will need to reinstall the game.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    see the final note in the first post.

yeah, there is no uninstaller, so you will need to reinstall the game.
    Hmmm I see...and I have no problem with doing that. Am I crazy though? Does this patch change what happens to the crystal and when it is dark/light? Does it change the difficulty of the AI?

Or is The Thieves GUild just THAT flipping hard with everybody being ubersensitive? I don't recall that last time I played.

Quote Originally Posted by FenrisUlf View Post
    Does this patch change what happens to the crystal and when it is dark/light? Does it change the difficulty of the AI?
    I think it changes how the light gem works indeed. I installed it the other day on a Thief Gold install and went through the Keeper Training: I noticed that, while running in the shadows for the first test, the light gem was somehow lit, even though the Keeper didn't react. And I'm pretty sure it stays dark without TFix, even after manually installing NewDark.

the "new" light gem seems to be more accurate and to only go black in a perfect shadow
    and i haven't noticed any differences in terms of getting detected in comparison to the unpatched game

Zombified
    remember, we are basically running T1 levels with a modernized T2 engine, so there are differences - some of them could be considered drawbacks, but the advantages should outweigh that by a great margin, at least for most people (especially because for most people, it's either NewDark or not playing at all, heh).

I've been trying it and trying it and Thieves Den level is indeed just unplayable. Not sure if there can be individual fixes for certain levels but the gem is staying lit even when I'm dark and they ARE seeing me in it too.

This isn't a rage, just an FYI. Mind you I really love all the awesome textures and work put into this.

ugh. I reloaded the original. now all my THieves Guild savegames crash the game as they don't work with the original. *sigh*

Reloaded an early assassins save. My god I am now seeing the huge difference in textures going backward.
    Ugh. :P

Zombified
    some issues with the lightgem can be caused by loading older saves, in that case, mission restart should fix it (other symptoms are light not disappearing after torches are doused, for example). will have a look at thieves den, maybe this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    some issues with the lightgem can be caused by loading older saves, in that case, mission restart should fix it (other symptoms are light not disappearing after torches are doused, for example). will have a look at thieves den, maybe this weekend.
    kewl thanks. I patched it halway thru assassins then played to the end. THen started thieves den from the beginning using the patch. Down in the basement it was all wonky, like when the overhead light flickers. And the fireplace and such. Even back in those sewer like things.

didnt travis just "recently" play the "Thieves' Guild" mission without many problems?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2wYqJRcTSk
    its hard but not impossible to finish this mission on hard

Page 24 of 114 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast