TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 35 of 113 FirstFirst ... 5101520253031323334353637383940455055606570758085 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Zombified
    install TFix, install hdmod, drop EP2.crf into your thief folder. steam needs to be completely disabled during this procedure.

Given the problems that there seem to be with AI and other things when T1 is running in Newdark, I am wondering why so much effort is being made to create band aids and fixes for both OMs and FMs. Wouldn't it be simpler to just keep the old engine then everything will work just as the mission-creator intended.

Is the bloom effect of newdark that great that it trumps all these AI problems, and unreachable object problems, and shadow problems, I keep reading about?

Genuine question, I am just interested in why these hoops seem desirable to jump through?

Zombified
    because it's actually the other way around - for most people, running the game with NewDark is usually easier and less problematic than using the original engine. the differences in gameplay are quite minor, and usually only noticeable by a very few hardcore players. in the not so distant future, it probably won't be possible to use the old engine at all.

also, the problems with shadows are not being caused by NewDark (it's using old saves with new missions), and never heard of problems with unreachable loot (if such a problem exists, it's an original map issue, there is no way NewDark can magically make some loot unreachable).

That worked,thanks for the help.I do have one question is the new healing potion model supposed to be white.

Zombified
    if you mean the EP2 model in the mission briefing purchase menu, then yeah, that one is currently white. some weird problem with the texture format, had a quick look, but did not find out what's wrong. I believe the EP2 guys are already aware of it.

Ok,thanks I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end.

Zombified
    new version is up. overhauled the Assassins level - there was a serious load of broken stuff there. a SERIOUS.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    new version is up. overhauled the Assassins level - there was a serious load of broken stuff there. a SERIOUS.
    Did you edit the exe file? There seems to be a 123kb size increase.

I've encountered a strange issue after installing the latest TFix (and following all the necessary instructions). While the game seems to work fine, my in-game option menus look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/CyyLbs1.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q3obX4S.png

http://i.imgur.com/Rq27ZWg.png

I tried tinkering around in cam_ext.cfg, with little luck. Could there be any way to fix this?

Zombified
    something has prevented the files to be copied over properly. usually it's steam (but also might be a permission problem or some crazy antivirus, basically anything that prevents file modifications. check your thief folder for a PATCHES folder, it should be there and have 4 files inside, if not, that's your problem right there) - disable it completely and repatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
    Did you edit the exe file? There seems to be a 123kb size increase.
    no, and I don't see any increase anywhere. mine has 4,40 MB (4*623*360 bytes), and this hasn't changed for a couple of versions.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 26th Jan 2014 at 05:16.

I am an idiot :(

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
    Ok, managed to get the pouch without too much difficulty after all. Cost me a broadhead arrow, a moss arrow, and a couple of retries. In case anyone is curious, this is how I had to do it.

**** A Bunch of instructions I'm not quoting, you can go back and look at my idiocy if you really want though ***

So, I'm now past that point in the mission, though I still think there is something with that area or those AIs that needs to be fixed. As I said, in vanilla I could do all this without raising anyone beyound alert 1. Even the guy at the table facing the guard only saw me for a brief moment (as I leaned forward to snatch the pouch,) and his view was mostly blocked by the guard.
    Was trying it with the new TFix and same problem. In a fit of pique, I installed vanilla, pulled out my vanilla save pack, and tried it. The EXACT SAME PROBLEM (sorry for shouting, I was rather upset.)

OK, so I didn't use the box crawl method to get that pouch. I know I used it on the other side to get the arrows and stuff just not on this side. After an hour of just sitting there staring at the screen, it started to slowly come back to me.... the window on this side is just a "little" taller than the one on the other side (vague memory, not actually measuring it.) Crouching, I edged up to it then mantled, and was rather shocked when it popped me up on the ledge. Of course I caused an alert because I wasn't careful and became visable, and the frame is metal so moving would alert anyway. This triggered a full memory recovery... The correct (for me anyway,) method, and it sometimes takes a couple of tries. I switched back to the NewDark install and tested....

1) Moss arrow the frame... It's metal, the moss will also cover the floor in case your mantle fails and you just jump up and down. Or you are to close too the edge and the wall stops you from mantling.

2) Get right up to the edge of the frame as far from the wall as possible. Crouch down, then mantle up onto the frame. Immediately edge backwards into shadow (but not off the frame.) You might cause a first alert here, but I didn't (the second time I tried - the first time I did something stupid later that ruined that attempt - never confuse the run button for the creep button.) If you do cause an alert, wait till they calm down.

3) Now, here is the tricky part. Using extreme creep - combining the move slower switch (shift for me,) and the creep forward key (z for me,) edge forward and towards the wall just a bit, backing back up as soon as your gem lights up. you might also cause a first alert here as well. If so, again wait till they calm down.

4) Hit your crouch/stand key. You won't actually stand, because the frame isn't that tall, but the game will put you in a "ready to stand" condition for as soon as you are able.

5) facing the pouch, lean forward. You'll have to be ready, because as soon as you do, if you did everything right, you'll stand and pop forward just a bit. Grab the pouch quickly and let go of the lean button. You are visible at this point, so you have to be quick. The key is that everyone's line of sight is partially blocked.

6) Immediately crouch again and back up quickly. I tried 4 times, just to check, and all 4 times I caused a 1st alert, but that was all. Wait for things to calm down, then move on with the rest of the mission.

Apologies to the creators of NewDark, and to anyone I may have offended with my misguided attack on the AI alert levels here. I was wrong Sorry.

no, and I don't see any increase anywhere. mine has 4,40 MB (4*623*360 bytes), and this hasn't changed for a couple of versions.
    Strange... My file is smaller.... Thinking about it though, on my files I changed the icon myself. Maybe the program I used to change the icon is different from the one you used, and that caused the difference. I think I'll just use yours (after I make my cosmetic changes.) It makes me a bit nervous, though it probably is nothing. If my file sizes change again, I'll get really worried though.

something has prevented the files to be copied over properly. usually it's steam (but also might be a permission problem or some crazy antivirus, basically anything that prevents file modifications. check your thief folder for a PATCHES folder, it should be there and have 4 files inside, if not, that's your problem right there) - disable it completely and repatch.
    Thanks, you helped me find a solution, which was in Steam automatically setting game folders to 'read-only'. Everything works perfectly well now.

Sorry for my incompetence, but what's the procedure to installing a new version of TFix over a previous one, if you have HD Texture mod and EP2 installed? I just don't wanna screw anything up, everything is working in unison now.

Zombified
    install TFix, then hdmod. EP2 will work as long as it remains in your Thief folder.

install TFix, then hdmod. EP2 will work as long as it remains in your Thief folder.
    Thanks Voodoo So the HDmod needs to be recopied over to the Thief folder to overwrite some of the TFix files once again?

Zombified
    only its cam_mod.ini, actually. but the latest version of hdmod has an installer, so you would have to extract it first - simply reinstalling the hdmod might be easier in this case.

but you know what I always say, if you want to mess with (config) files manually, you better know exactly what you are doing.

only its cam_mod.ini, actually. but the latest version of hdmod has an installer, so you would have to extract it first - simply reinstalling the hdmod might be easier in this case.

but you know what I always say, if you want to mess with (config) files manually, you better know exactly what you are doing.
    Roger that, thank you Voodoo.

Hi there! Just registered and I have something that may or may not be an excessively dumb question (or set of questions), but here goes:

* The TFix linked from the first post lists version 1.18e
    * Thief HDmod instructions say I should run TFix 1.18c, but I presume the 1.18e version is newer and more apprpriate?
    * I have Thief Gold from gog.com, with NewDark installed to begin with and every time I try to install TFix1.18e, it gives me an error that a valid installation was not found.

How do I solve this equation? It seems that the executable in my install folder is the one that already has New Dark in it and it seems to be the modified Thief 2 executable. Should I run TFix or can I just go ahead and install HDmod, sound fixes and other things? If I do need to run TFix, which version do I need? And do the versions take into account the conditions of the version that is installed from gog.com?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Zombified
    always use the latest version (hdmod mentioning 18c just means you definitely shouldn't use anything older). rename thief_nd.exe to thief.exe and everything will work. TFix is recommended even if you plan to use hdmod (the dml fixes will still be of use).

Thanks!

After I've run TFix, should I rename the file back to thief_nd.exe?

Zombified
    no need. thief_nd.exe was a temporary thing when GOG switched their build to NewDark, if you have the latest build, it's already named thief.exe again, afaik.

I do have the latest gog build, but the file is still named thief_nd.exe. This should probably be taken into account in the various installation instructions so that people know to rename it if it is not thief.exe to begin with. All those who have been doing things related to it a long time probably know it as a matter of course but for people like me who have last played Thief over ten years ago it's far from obvious. Less hassle like this for you too, if it's mentioned.

Thank you again.

Zombified
    could have sworn they've renamed it back. will check when I have some time.

New mirror see last post
    Last edited by Esme; 7th Feb 2014 at 06:55.

Page 35 of 113 FirstFirst ... 5101520253031323334353637383940455055606570758085 ... LastLast