TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323738394041424344454647525762677277828792 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2844

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

No. I already had the game installed with TFix before upgrading my computer. In fact DromEd appeared normal even after the upgrade, but as soon as I went into game-mode this red thing appeared and it also appeared on TG and T2 when I launched them normally after I did that.

Zombified
    I would recommend a clean reinstall of the game then. it certainly won't make things any worse.

Well it doesn't make things any better either, I'm afraid. I reinstalled it, patched it with TFix 1.18g and it's still the same. I noticed this however, I didn't have it before:

I have no clue what's going on.
    EDIT: I don't get this issue if I disable Direct3D 9.
    Last edited by skacky; 13th Mar 2014 at 14:39.

Zombified
    seems like you are running some sort of interface on top. have you tried not running it?

Well the thing is I have absolutely no idea what could be doing that. I just restarted my computer, there is nothing else running and yet there's still that thing on Thief and DromEd, and these two are the only things affected.

Zombified
    well something is slapping that red tint over the game, including those two circles in the middle and the info in the lower right corner. maybe some sort of 3D vision software?

I found the issue. After doing some research it turns out 8.1 enables stereoscopic 3D in some games for some obscure reason. Sorry I bothered you.

This blue texture in mission "Undercover":

Zombified
    noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    I found the issue. After doing some research it turns out 8.1 enables stereoscopic 3D in some games for some obscure reason. Sorry I bothered you.
    no problem. win8 for the win, I suppose.

Glitch while opening doors in Undercover (TFix 1.18h):

and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrcMFFLKIU

I think that this hammerite/these hammerites are agressive, because they thinks that I steal this switch (I opened doors by papyrus, and I closed doors by switch, for this hammerite it looks like a steal). And my question - is possible to make this switch as invisible (manually) for this hammerite/for these hammerites?

Bad sound propagation in Undercover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AJijNaTWrU
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 14th Mar 2014 at 03:52.

As you came through the gate you tripped the switch to close it again.

Touching the gate switch in view of an AI will alert them as it's not something a novice would do, so I'd say that's standard behaviour

Personal culture require, to close doors after opening these doors. They (hammerites) don't like cultural people?

I noticed that other switches have also the same properties - after switching hammerites maybe will be agressive (if switches are visible for them).

So, impossible to make switch/switches as invisible for hammerites (in next TFix release of course)?
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 14th Mar 2014 at 11:23.

You didn't open the gate, it was opened for you when you showed your credentials at the entrance so you have no obligation to close it again.

Activating the switch seems to be scripted as a suspicious activity for a novice and alerts the guards, so it's part of the mission and not a bug.

The script could be removed allowing you to open or close the gate at will without alerting the AI but that's modifying the mission, a simpler solution is, don't touch the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    You didn't open the gate, it was opened for you when you showed your credentials at the entrance so you have no obligation to close it again.

Activating the switch seems to be scripted as a suspicious activity for a novice and alerts the guards, so it's part of the mission and not a bug.

The script could be removed allowing you to open or close the gate at will without alerting the AI but that's modifying the mission, a simpler solution is, don't touch the switch.
    But... sometimes I have desire to open doors using keyholing (not by reading papyrus), and then this hammerite also will be agressive. In this case this is a glitch; possible to fix or impossible to fix.
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 14th Mar 2014 at 12:23.

I disagree that it's a glitch, you are supposed to be pretending to be a novice and presenting your credentials is how you demonstrate that, you use the switch and the AI will see through the deception and you'll be recognised as an enemy as it's not Novice behaviour.

If you want to get in without presenting your credentials, why not climb over the wall ? Not sure how the AI will react to that though.

-- EDIT --

Just tried going in over the roof without presenting my credentials, no AI saw me climbing, the AI didn't react once I was in
    Last edited by Esme; 15th Mar 2014 at 12:29.

Just tried going in over the roof without presenting my credentials, no AI saw me climbing, the AI didn't react once I was in
    just did the same
    you can open and close the gate without the guard noticing if you climb over the roof

Zombified
    enjoy it while you can, once I'm done with this map, nobody ain't gonna be climbing nowhere. *summons invisible walls*

That's half the fun looking for other paths. Think I'll stick with the version I have if you are going to block routes.

Are you responsible for the invisible wall that appeared on the roof of the mechanist cathedral in metal age : eavesdropping too ?

Zombified
    nope. also, I'm not intending to block proper paths, but certain parts of that level definitely shouldn't be accessible.

I thought you were making sure the original missions worked with the new engine, updating textures & objects, fixing leftover blue textures & plugging holes where a player can accidentally fall out of the map.

And I have to say a huge thank you for that work.

I didn't realise you were blocking off parts of the maps because they aren't legitemate routes.

Half the fun for me is getting to the unplanned places and looking behind the scenes.

Is there a version of tfix with the bug fixes & new stuff but without the unconventional accesses blocked off ?

Zombified
    nope. it's either everything or nothing. but, as mentioned many times, invisi-walling is an evil thing, so it's used only when there is absolutely no other way around (as of 1.18h, exactly one place). again, it's not about blocking routes, it's about making sure the player will not get out of the level, or get stuck at some place where he shouldn't be, making sure unfinished parts of the level are not visible and reachable etc - all such things are immersion breakers, and those need to be taken care of asap. and yes, this is making it work better with the new engine, as new mantle makes getting to such places all too easy.

the simple rule here is - if it's broken, fix it. and the definition of broken? when a regular player goes wtf when he sees it.

example: in Undercover, it's quite obvious that the player is not intended to run around the roof - there is no sound propagation there, texturing is not proper, and you are able to see parts of the level that you shouldn't (the "end of the world"). I'll probably allow roof access (solving all the mentioned problems), and make sure that the unfinished parts of the level are not visible. also, I'll try to make sure that the player won't be able to get into the complex without presenting the credentials, as not doing this breaks the intended flow of the story.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 15th Mar 2014 at 21:00.

These 2 textures have always been wrong:
    http://imgur.com/kg6d1Ih

Same with this servant's ai in the Bafford mission:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXdm...ature=youtu.be

Also, isn't there a way to fix the body carrying textures for TG?
    http://imgur.com/qUXhbUD

Zombified
    the textures under the trees are apparently intentional, so I've left them alone for now. yeah, some body carry icons are not correct, but fixing this would require new resources, and I'm not an artist. anyway, it's on the buglist, but the priority is pretty low.

will have a look at that servant, the AIs were always wonky, but this one seems to be extra weird for some reason.

I have to admit to being slightly dismayed by that.

Personally I do my explorations after I've played through the level a few times, there's no immersion to break as I'm not playing a level I'm exploring to see where I can get to.

However this is your fix and you have to do what you think is best.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Oh while I think of it, you do know that undead AI behave differently ?

I don't think you can do anything about it as I think it's hard coded into the engine, in the original dark project engine if an undead couldn't reach you they could throw bits of themselves at you & seemed to have an endless supply of bits, in the metal age engine & the newdark engines they will go and get help or maybe they are running away I'm not sure

Zombified
    well, the maps are being fixed with the regular taffer in mind - that's why I don't really care about keyholing and similar exploits, as that's not something a regular player would do.

the undead thing is news, and I will have a look, although I highly doubt that I will be able to do anything about it.

Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323738394041424344454647525762677277828792 ... LastLast