TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 109 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9596469747984899499104105106107108109110 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 2728

Thread: What are you making?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    One of the mechanics is that I want an in-game console for Python scripts you can save, with the idea being that Python code is literally the magic language of this world and the code is spells. Like everything in the world has a seed-based secret name; and if you figure it out, then it's the variable name that allows your Python code to act on it, so you can "cast spells" on it. There are still limits to what you can change; defined just by how the world works. Like algorithm cycles and certain transformations still cost mana, or something like that. I was always interested in a game where modding the game in-game is actually part of the game. But there are certain things you can't change, in particular you can't just code the will of other people, i.e., the population of a region to follow you; you have to do diplomacy, or make them fear or love you, but you can use magic to help those things along.
    Honestly, that sounds kind of brilliant.

I continue my holy work!
    Today i bring you Spoopy AI!

Watch in HD tho i messed up the recording.

Spoopy!

Meanwhile, after some deliberations, I decided to majorly revamp he art style for our cloud game....

I welcome any and all thoughts on this vs. the old look (Which you can find here for comparison)

Looks good, except I don't care for the grass looking distractingly like a paper towel.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm a sucker for papercraft, so I like it.

Moderator and Priest
    Still feel bad for those dinosaurs though.

I'm not really a fan of the thick cardboard cloud.

I like the idea of it, and the look of it within that idea. The issue is that it really squeezes the scale to a toy level, which is good for some things, but you're the weather over whole areas... Well, more that the scale changes from smaller to larger scale, but the cardboard keeps the cloud and some objects the same "real world" scale, and that works better for some scales compared to others. If it's made thoughtfully as a consistent aesthetic I'd still probably like it though.

Question - Is this thread only in relation to games dev for "What are you making?" ?

If not, then this week I've been learning up on video editing, in order to start putting together game review videos for my Youtube channel. Looked up what the popular free video editing programs were, and was recommended Shotcut. Watched quite a few tutorial videos, of which only 20 minutes of all that was actually of interest. Then just played around and taught myself the rest and typed up a script. The result:

Then got some good feedback from systemshock.org that I should record each voice over section separately, so that I wouldn't have to start from scratch (with a voice recording), and to put more detail in.

Result 2:

A fun but extremely time consuming endeavor. As I needed to download all the gameplay videos I'd uploaded to Youtube which took hours. Then find the bits best suited to what was being spoken about. Quite a lot of work, for what ends up at just under 10 minute videos.
    Last edited by icemann; 29th Feb 2020 at 11:20.

I am hammering in more features. Impactful and crushing arguments.

https://twitter.com/yrdenwatch

it do be like that sometimes

Moderator and Priest
    I love that new art style.

It makes me think that maybe you should try an adventure RPG like Paper Mario next.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Looking good, Owl2 and Yakoob!

Thx Renz and henke I'd love to work on an immersive SciFi RPG spoofing all the tropes, complete with worker robots turning to communism to fight for their rights and a sentient biological experiment taking over ship, but only mentally evolved to the level of an angry toddler.

Meanwhile, in cloud-land...

umbrella was never an option

I spent a good chunk of time modeling a nice tricorne cap for my san-culottes guy.
    The pipeline I've got is to just take another hat and sculpt it the way I want in Blender, and it works surprisingly well.
    It's just interesting, once you have a good pipeline down for assets, how absorbing that kind of work can be.
    I don't want to say therapeutic, but there is something to be said about spending some time sculpting a good hat.

Yes, I'm batting back and forth between the fantasy one and the French Revolution one. I just like making characters right now.

Moderator and Priest

After several hours work on video editing and voice recording, episode 4 in my game review series is up.

This time, Shadowrun for the Super Nintendo:

Quote Originally Posted by Owl2 View Post
    I continue my holy work!
    Today i bring you Spoopy AI!

Watch in HD tho i messed up the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl2 View Post
    I am hammering in more features. Impactful and crushing arguments.

https://twitter.com/yrdenwatch

Which game is this? It reminds me totally of thief - I'm a noob, sorry I want to know more about your project and the game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Cool to see you're still working on this. It looks great!

Have you guys played Unreal Tournament back in the day?
    Remember the "MONSTER KILL" announcements?
    Trying to create something similar

(note I already decreased the text-size as it was blocking the view too much)

I'm wondering what other "juice" I can add to sell the effect. I cant push the screen shake more as it gets too detracting/motion-sickness-y. Maybe the cloud can start glowing? Maybe it can get slightly bigger with each level?

(or maybe if you reach the top level it freezes the game, zooms in on the cloud, and a japanese announcer goes "MEGA KURAUDU NO AKUSHYON !!!!!")

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I'm wondering what other "juice" I can add to sell the effect. I cant push the screen shake more as it gets too detracting/motion-sickness-y. Maybe the cloud can start glowing? Maybe it can get slightly bigger with each level?
    How about having the could give off some sort of pulse effect that gets more noticable with higher levels. It wasn't apparent if you're already doing it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, a pulse would be a good idea - something like a flash and ripple effect that keeps intensifying as the level goes up.

The text does obscure stuff nonetheless. I'd figure out if transparency would make it more readable, or a slo-mo effect and fade from a gameplay point of view. I'm also assuming you don't actually mean for the cloud to be giving people staph.

What do you mean by pulse? Do you mean like a glow behind the cloud that gets bigger/pulsates? Or screen-space distortion? Or am I misunderstanding?

And yea I already shrunk the text so it doesn't take away from gameplay, but maybe when you get to the top level it does go full screen and maybe you get a bonus (like the Star in mario where you move faster, have infinite rain, and everything is double points?)

Meanwhile, I brought a new developer onboard so need to type up some kind of a design/coding doc:

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'm also assuming you don't actually mean for the cloud to be giving people staph.
    Just wait for the COVID-2.0 and the Acute Syphilis levels!

I've been reworking my AI perception system (which I had made way too complex back when I wrote it), expanding on my AI behaviour code, plus tying all of that into my Bark Engine.

Here's an AI doing his thing, reacting to suspicious sounds with appropriate comments and behaviours.

Page 109 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9596469747984899499104105106107108109110 LastLast