TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 106065707580859095100105106107108109110
Results 2,726 to 2,748 of 2748

Thread: What are you making?

PSA: When designing your games, make sure you don't accidentally make comments about things that haven't happened yet

https://twitter.com/UnboundCreation/...42479489409024

Reminds me of the time when NPR tweeted out the US Declaration of Independence and people started piling on how it's biased left-wing propaganda against the president and whatnot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-independence/

For about 20 minutes Tuesday, NPR traveled back to 1776.

To echo its 29-year on-air tradition, the public radio network’s main Twitter account tweeted out the Declaration of Independence, line by line.

There — in 113 consecutive posts, in 140-character increments — was the text of the treasured founding document of the United States, from its soaring opening to its searing indictments of King George III’s “absolute tyranny” to its very last signature.

Who could have taken issue with such a patriotic exercise, done in honor of the nation’s birthday?

Quite a few people, it turned out.

Perhaps it was the Founding Fathers’ capitalization of random words or the sentence fragments into which some of the Declaration’s most recognizable lines were broken. But plenty of Twitter users reacted angrily to the thread, accusing NPR of spamming them — or, worse, trying to push an agenda.

“Seriously, this is the dumbest idea I have ever seen on twitter,” a Twitter user named Darren Mills said after NPR had only gotten as far as the Declaration’s dateline. “Literally no one is going to read 5000 tweets about this trash.”

One user wondered if NPR’s social-media accounts had been hacked, and the network lost at least one follower who called the tweets “spam.”

The blowback increased when the tweets reached the portion of the Declaration that outlined, in unsparing detail, all the ways Britain’s George III had wronged the then-Colonies.

“He has obstructed the administration of justice, by refusing his assent to laws for establishing judiciary powers,” read one line of the document.

“A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people,” read another.

Some people — presumably still in the dark about NPR’s Fourth of July exercise — assumed those lines were references to President Trump and the current administration

“Propaganda is that all you know how? Try supporting a man who wants to do something about the Injustice in this country #drainingtheswamp,” tweeted one user whose account has since been deleted but whose messages were captured by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Melissa Martin.

Upworthy writer Parker Molloy took images of several more indignant replies to NPR, including one who told the media organization to “Please stop. This is not the right place.”

[...]

'Koob's post reminded me that I haven't posted Cherub Adventure's rain here yet:

Bit by bit, I trickle towards prototype completion.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love building in the Unreal Engine?
    I mean look at this...
    (You don't have to watch the whole thing, just skip around and look at the scenes.)

This is a biome pack that you can use right out of the box, and you can make scenes like this.

Man, when I first started with Dromed, when we finally got the T2 .map files, I remember opening up Trail of Blood and taking lots of notes so I could learn how make a foresty kind of level within the Dark Engine's limitations. (Schwaa used the same method for the original Left4Dead.) I remember being impressed by how cool we could make a level look with some of those tricks, you know, for the time.

But we're in a whole new world now. I was just thinking about how I would have felt then having access to tech like we have now, and how easy it is to make such realistic stuff.

Anyway, hope to show a video of some stuff I've been doing sometime.

Pyrian, there is something unsettling about that.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Pyrian, there is something unsettling about that.
    Should I go the FNF route and turn it into a horror game?

It's pretty deep into uncomfortable uncanny valley already. Each iteration seems to dreadfully sink a little further in. XD
    But you know, turn that frown upside down & run with it, and I think you're on to something. Sometimes we tell our art what we want it to be, but sometimes our art also tells us what it wants to be as we're making it.

But I think you should continue it the way you're doing it, just being self-aware of the look & feel of it, like someone making an "unintentional" horror game that doesn't seem to realize that's what they're doing... They're trying to make this family friendly game but the creepiness can't help but come through. I think that will make a much bigger hit, the comment section may get a lot of poker face reactions, and that's going to make new-comers intrigued to try it out. Whereas if you make it look like you're intentionally trying to make it uncomfortalbe or horror, then it can backfire & look like you're trying too hard and it may fizzle. So I think keep making it the way you're making it, but leave the creepiness in and subtlely play to it. That's just my initial idea on it.

In a way this is like when Yakoob was asking what tone & gameplay to go with for Rain on Your Parade, since it was pulling in different directions. In the end, instead of forcing a unitary structure on it, he kind of ran with it being a bit undefined & surreal and letting it naturally make its own genre as it was. That's what I think you should do with this with this blurring the line between a kind of innocent platformer but something really weird is going on just under the surface that keeps bubbling up.

Speaking of trees, Quixel Megascans just launched the beta of their new tree assets.

They look really good from the preview video, and I'm impressed at the sliders that let you adjust the exact season and health of the trees.

https://quixel.com/blog/2021/12/15/m...n-early-access

One reason I keep holding off on getting those Mawi biome assets is because Quixel keeps releasing these awesome Megascan assets for free. So it's hard to justify paying for basically the same thing.

A Mawi set costs over $200 usd, and I think the broadleaf one only has under 20 trees all told, and even on sale, the next big sale is in May, it's still only like 20% or 30% off.

All that said, I keep second-guessing myself with what assets I should be getting. It's one of the central dilemmas in game making. It's like there's a massive tradeoff whichever way you want to go. I just want to build levels and have everything I need and not have to think so much about it. =L

Playing around with putting some train demos together.
    This is fun! I haven't done any real mapping in like a decade. I'd forgotten how absorbing it is.
    But the stuff we can do today is on such a higher level than things I was even just dreaming about 10 years ago, and things I wouldn't have even dreamt of 20 years ago.

Here is the announcement trailer for demo 2!
    You find all the links in the video description!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Behold the next evolution of DIGITAL 3D ENTERTAINMENT!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Stilt Fella style controls or?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    This should have Super Monkey Ball controls - mow the grass by tilting the whole lawn. Bonus points for not smashing any plant pots or knocking over the garden gnomes and lawn flamingos.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    You know, a Resident Evil/Silent Hill game with Stilt Fella controls would be simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

Just imagine trying to run away from the monster on your little stilts, falling over and flopping around!

henke make it happen

The monsters should be on stilts too.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Stiltent Hill!

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    In the sense that they're not what you might expect when first looking at it, but still being logical, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    This should have Super Monkey Ball controls - mow the grass by tilting the whole lawn. Bonus points for not smashing any plant pots or knocking over the garden gnomes and lawn flamingos.
    Hah, that's a fun idea, tho not what I'm going for. I feel like that'd also require it to just be one object moving on the screen, not 2, so it'd work better with a riding mower than a push mower. Unless the tilting would only impact the actual push mower, and the guy would be pulled behind as a purely decorative element. Hmm! There's a game there (tho not the one I'm making).

As long as you get to call it Lawnmower Man I will be happy.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man I didn't even think of that!

Still, for copyright reasons I might have to go with my initial title Lawnmower Lad.

Not Lawnmower Fella?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Too obvious and not alliterative enough.

Level 10,000 achieved
    You guys remember this?

Just stumbled across the Flash files for this and had to upload a video. I made this game back in 2005 and I think pretty much only TTLG got to play it back then. Looking at it now, the programming is very primitive but I like the concept. It's kinda a jukebox musical of a game where I just set a bunch of songs I liked to gameplay. Makes me wonder what a big-budget jukebox-musical-game would be like. Imagine an entire game of scenes like the Sublime-singalong in Saints Row 3 or the Skrillex-bit in Far Cry 3. Ok, it'd probably get to be too much quickly, but maybe if it was just like 1-2 hours long?
    Last edited by henke; 20th Mar 2022 at 10:08.

Wow, looks cool, indie-ish and funny!. It seems hard to program such a game with all the cutscenes and choices in-between.
    Also, it seems like if one would play it he'd suffer from ADHD . What inspired you to create such a game in the first place?

Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 106065707580859095100105106107108109110