TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666717681869196101106111112113114115116
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 2900

Thread: What are you making?

DONTO WOORII, do your best!

Sorry, that's all the feedback you're going to get from me.

Been tinkering and trying to learn Unity the last few months, with the aim of making some kind of retro-style FPS. Progress so far:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very nice crumbly box destruction physics!

Y'know you can easily make those signs display the actual text without (or in addition to) just having a 2D text box popping up. Just slap a Canvas on em, set it to World Space, put a text object in there and yourtextobject.GetComponent<Text>().text = yourtextstring;

Ah nice, good tip! The intended functionality is that it will eventually be a bit like Unreal's "universal translator", so the sign itself might be just alien runes, but the translator makes it readable.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh I see. In that case just fill the sign with the textstring but set the font to Wingdings!

Or.... make your own custom font!

My idea was to replicate the "translation" effect in the old DOS RPG "Betrayal At Krondor", where you first see the writing in the alien language, and then the symbols fade into readable English.

No reason you couldn't do the same thing in 3D space with 3D signs - have the actual text on the sign change to English after you look at it for a few seconds.

That'd be cool - like an AR effect within the gameworld. Something to play about with much further down the line when I'm at the point of adding content not just systems...

Oh neat nicked. Is that all from scratch or are you using any of the Unity fps frameworks?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Very nice crumbly box destruction physics!

Y'know you can easily make those signs display the actual text without (or in addition to) just having a 2D text box popping up. Just slap a Canvas on em, set it to World Space, put a text object in there and yourtextobject.GetComponent<Text>().text = yourtextstring;
    Alternatovely, download the TextMeshPro package (free) and insert it directly into the world instead of canvas, especially if you care about performance (which frankly you probably dont need to unless you target mobile or 10 year old laptops lol)

It's all from scratch, though heavily reliant on tutorials, and bits of the movement code are reconstructed from an example FPS project.

This is the result of a test i had regarding NPC performance under crowd

Working on a new dev video, got a little blooper real teaser to share:

I made a new twitter update with a video!

https://twitter.com/yrdenwatch/statu...480381955?s=20

Level 10,000 achieved
    This is what I made today.

Took ~30 min (and then twice that to edit this video together). Medium is great for organic/cartoony stuff like this, and so easy to work with.

BANNED
    That's great.

Moderator and Priest

Damn that's awesome, at first I thought it was a 2D drawing. Great stylization

Moderator and Priest
    Took me long enough to figure it out. Now I can actually do stuff.

That looks great Renz!

It looks great as it is, but if that's 3D and you can swivel a camera around that space or make the lighting dynamic, I think you could animate that or make it interactive and that'd be something special too. I've been on a trip with interactive art and artistic interactive environments recently, and I want to promote it as the next big thing.

Moderator and Priest
    I could do an animation, but anything realtime would be difficult, since those trees are incredibly polygon heavy. Each one is sporting at least 120,000 tris, and that's AFTER I spent a few days figuring out how to best optimize them.

You can tell how dense they are by looking at raw AO shots. They're not really game ready assets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AOScene.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	2592

Looks great Renz!

Demagogue, there are some cool 3D painterly effects you can do with Dreams (ps4) thanks to the way it renders things out of brushstroke-style particles called flecks rather than polygons, obviously it's a closed system and not really for producing professional artwork, although I believe they were exploring how creators could export stuff and use outside as it can produce quite striking artwork.

Check out this guy's stuff for example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRR2W9

Soft downy clouds:

Moderator and Priest
    Final version of the shot above with all the props and atmospheric effects in place. Now, I'm starting on the larger scene with the building.

I love the halftone effect you've got going on. I'd love to see a comic-book style game that used that kind of proper halftone shader for all the colours.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Dang, Renz, thanks for the new wallpaper! Tho if you wanted to whip up a 2560x1440 version that'd be even more appreciated.

Moderator and Priest
    I made the colors a little more bold, and I had to disguise the fact that there isn't all that much beyond the frame of the image, but here's your 1440p wallpaper!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PropsWallpaper.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	486.6 KB 
ID:	2594

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I love the halftone effect you've got going on. I'd love to see a comic-book style game that used that kind of proper halftone shader for all the colours.
    I've seen some Unity shaders that pull off some fairly decent halftoning, but the problem is that you have to hand tailor the effect per scene to get it finely detailed like that. If you apply it, and hope for the best, you either get too much, or not enough.

edit: That wallpaper sucked. Uploaded a better one without any color banding in it.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 25th Feb 2021 at 11:49.

Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666717681869196101106111112113114115116