TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666717681869196101106111112113114115116
Results 2,876 to 2,885 of 2885

Thread: What are you making?

DONTO WOORII, do your best!

Sorry, that's all the feedback you're going to get from me.

Been tinkering and trying to learn Unity the last few months, with the aim of making some kind of retro-style FPS. Progress so far:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very nice crumbly box destruction physics!

Y'know you can easily make those signs display the actual text without (or in addition to) just having a 2D text box popping up. Just slap a Canvas on em, set it to World Space, put a text object in there and yourtextobject.GetComponent<Text>().text = yourtextstring;

Ah nice, good tip! The intended functionality is that it will eventually be a bit like Unreal's "universal translator", so the sign itself might be just alien runes, but the translator makes it readable.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh I see. In that case just fill the sign with the textstring but set the font to Wingdings!

Or.... make your own custom font!

My idea was to replicate the "translation" effect in the old DOS RPG "Betrayal At Krondor", where you first see the writing in the alien language, and then the symbols fade into readable English.

No reason you couldn't do the same thing in 3D space with 3D signs - have the actual text on the sign change to English after you look at it for a few seconds.

That'd be cool - like an AR effect within the gameworld. Something to play about with much further down the line when I'm at the point of adding content not just systems...

Oh neat nicked. Is that all from scratch or are you using any of the Unity fps frameworks?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Very nice crumbly box destruction physics!

Y'know you can easily make those signs display the actual text without (or in addition to) just having a 2D text box popping up. Just slap a Canvas on em, set it to World Space, put a text object in there and yourtextobject.GetComponent<Text>().text = yourtextstring;
    Alternatovely, download the TextMeshPro package (free) and insert it directly into the world instead of canvas, especially if you care about performance (which frankly you probably dont need to unless you target mobile or 10 year old laptops lol)

It's all from scratch, though heavily reliant on tutorials, and bits of the movement code are reconstructed from an example FPS project.

This is the result of a test i had regarding NPC performance under crowd

Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666717681869196101106111112113114115116