TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 118 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Moderator and Priest
    The other day, I came upon the realization that my life doesn't have nearly enough tedium in it. After realizing that, I came to the conclusion that that's pretty damn tragic, and I need to do something about that.

So I decided to make yet another old creepy house model. This time in glorious high poly detail. And by that, I mean I'll have to make board, every tile in the roof, every window, every crack in the wall, every little throwaway object by hand. I wanted tedium, and holy shit did I get it.

This is the inspiration. I love this old house. Wish I could buy it, but it's sitting on about 800 acres of fertile farmland, which costs well over a million bucks. Probably the reason why it's been abandoned for so long.

...and this is the current work in progress. I started it yesterday, and...damn...it's time consuming. By the time I'm done, I'm gonna have a rough brick foundation around the bottom, more boards along the edge of the porch, all the tiles on the roof (I'm dreading that), and all other kinds of details.

Here's an even more dramatic shot.

Guess I'll be done with it in a month or so.

Quoth the raven
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Oh yea. I love MS for those kind of reasons. People shit on MS because they are the big bad corporation but honestly, they treat their devs so damn well. With pretty exhaustive documentation, amazing tools (VS, debugger, PIX), good cross-platform APIs (DX, XAudio, XNA, .Net) and even options for indies to develop on their proprietary console (via XNA), its is really nice developing for their platforms (especially compared to stuff like Wii or PS3 development).
    They do treat devs decent, even indie gets easy to use toolkits.

Much better than the sham that apple is.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Guess I'll be done with it in a month or so.
    Worth suggesting that when you're done, it'd be nice if you could rig it in a game engine with some nice atmospherics, a lot of that overgrowth, etc, to let people walk around it, soak it in, and be inspired. I just think if someone spends that much time working on a 3D model, it can really be put to use putting it in a space that really shows it off and makes it a real place.

Moderator and Priest
    That's actually my long term plan. I hit up Judith about a week ago, asking if he wanted to do a project in UE3, either for the start of a new game, or just to make something that looks cool, and learn a little bit in the process.

The house above is pretty much the first step of that. Hopefully, it'll help me address my biggest modeling weaknesses...mainly that I absolutely suck at efficient UVing, and can't bake high poly to low poly for crap because of it.

Moderator and Priest
    First clay render of the night. Well, actually the last. I just spent about 3 and a half hours laying down and organizing fake slate tiles.

That's pretty tragic. I didn't even get paid for it.

Judith
    Wow, that house looks nice! Although I can see from the wireframe that you haven't been thinking about tiling the wall sections. Of course you can do all that in low poly version, but it's easier to take that into account from the beginning. In general it's better to plan your architectural stuff as a tileset and use game-scale values, even if it botches the proportions a bit, while you can use real-world proportions for other props.

Btw. Still working on that facade:

Last edited by Judith; 9th Oct 2011 at 16:50.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Wow, that house looks nice! Although I can see from the wireframe that you haven't been thinking about tiling the wall sections. Of course you can do all that in low poly version, but it's easier to take that into account from the beginning. In general it's better to plan your architectural stuff as a tileset and use game-scale values, even if it botches the proportions a bit, while you can use real-world proportions for other props.
    I dunno. Tileable chunks work alot better with large buildings and cityscapes than they do with unevenly detailed houses like this. The only way I could get it to work would be to make it tile in incredibly small portions, otherwise it'd end up looking too generic.

Right now, I'm thinking about just normalmapping the roof tiles, and leaving the main structure boards as they are for the final model. Save for a couple of pieces, the building itself doesn't have too much subsurfing going on, so I could export most of it as is and keep it at or below 4000 tris fairly easily. UE3 could handle it no problem. I just have to work in a few smoothing groups, and maybe edge bevel a couple of corners, and it'd be about good to go.

Btw. Still working on that facade:

Whoa. Is that in the TDS engine, or in proper UE3? Whichever it was, you did a spectacular job on exporting the normalmaps. It looks almost indistinguishable from your HP source.

Wish I could do that

I've taken a break from working in Torque to play with a bit of procedural generation. You can see the fruits of my effort at http://www.ug.it.usyd.edu.au/~dbuc6168/Xn/. It's a little Python/WebGL app that generates a random arrangement of rooms connected by corridors, as you might see in a Roguelike. It's all rendered in 3D in glorious primary colours (which I may insert the option to change ). The performance is pretty balls, which I would expect from 3D rendering in a browser, but it's very cool nonetheless.

A crappy demo shot (in case your browser doesn't have WebGL, or you're too lazy to click the link):

I'm slowly working on upgrading the algorithm - at the moment it's very simple, and doesn't really generate anything too exciting-looking. I want to have a look at adding things like clustering, and more advanced pathfinding to connect doors on each level (at the moment, it's a simple BFS; I'm thinking a spanning tree would be more appropriate, but I also want to add the ability to reach levels that only have one door. In that vein, a check for overall connectivity of the level would be nice, but also extremely tedious with the simple data structures I've set up .

Also, I should do something about the wild proliferation of elevators. It's partly an algorithmic problem (elevators are very likely to fit in a given spot) and partly a case of me defining lots of elevator shapes relative to how often they should appear.

Also, I was very disappointed at the level generated by seed 451. Tak, tsk.

Judith
    Whoa. Is that in the TDS engine, or in proper UE3? Whichever it was, you did a spectacular job on exporting the normalmaps. It looks almost indistinguishable from your HP source.

Wish I could do that
    Thanks. This is still T3ed, it's faster for me to get basic materials for it. But I have objects ready to be exported to UDK as well.

And first approach to corners: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7545/111lvv.jpg
    Maybe a bit too washed out.

Probably not as flashy as cool photos, but after a bit of struggling I just managed to include, compile and crashlessly run my entire c++ engine from within a .Net based winforms project. So now I have my abstracted away Win32+DirectX9 framework running side-by-side the .Net environment.

Hello using .NET Winforms for much easier Tools programming WHILE having full access to all my non-.Net engine code, data structures, logic, renderer, etc. etc. etc. running live

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Thanks. This is still T3ed, it's faster for me to get basic materials for it. But I have objects ready to be exported to UDK as well.
    Other than heightmaps, what are you missing? That'd look pretty good inside of UE3 as is.

And first approach to corners: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7545/111lvv.jpg
    Maybe a bit too washed out.
    Yeah. The modelling is good, but the texturing makes it look too brand new to me. Like your building was built only a month or two ago. If I were to suggest one thing to do , I'd say add in a little more weathering detail to the texture. Like maybe a few more rain streaks, and maybe just a tad of discoloring along the edges of your crevices. Or better yet, go in and add some slight bumpiness and variance to your normalmaps. Anything to break up that perfect smoothness by just the tiniest bit. I can see you've got some of that in there, but I'd pop it out a little more to give it some more personality.

Man, I just reread the paragraph above, and damn do I sound like a cheesy fucker. I'm almost surprised I didn't tell you to add in oregano to give it that extra tang of elusive umami. :P

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Probably not as flashy as cool photos, but after a bit of struggling I just managed to include, compile and crashlessly run my entire c++ engine from within a .Net based winforms project. So now I have my abstracted away Win32+DirectX9 framework running side-by-side the .Net environment.

Hello using .NET Winforms for much easier Tools programming WHILE having full access to all my non-.Net engine code, data structures, logic, renderer, etc. etc. etc. running live
    You will burn in hell

If it makes you fee any better, I am only using .Net for the editor and tools. The final game is actually a separate executable project that doesn't use .Net.

Isn't railing against dot net akin to railing against JVMs and flash? Developers are pretty moist about it across the board. Just look at mono, moonlight etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    Resisting the urge to find you on congo. What year are you in? I'm assuming you're doing compsci?

I have an office in your faculty

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Resisting the urge to find you on congo. What year are you in? I'm assuming you're doing compsci?

I have an office in your faculty
    Haha, sweet! Second year, actually a combined BE/BSc. Would I know you from classes?

a bit of procedural generation.
    This kind of stuff is one of the things i need to do next. Lots of difficulties with it ... so, decided to look around to try to find some info about it.

The only reasonable approach i have come up with for my specific case: putting together 3D sections (like Diablo series, but 3D placement).
    Expected result: (A) capped visibility, (B) custom level size range, (C) areas (ie. not just random mess), (D) connections between areas, (E) relatively low granularity.

That is a tad bit difficult (A and B mostly).

A: no idea atm (view point is in-world and not top-down. cannot use fog etc - so, need to ensure the chosen section configuration limits view).
    B: no idea and a serious problem.
    C: using seed sections and coloring (aka. marker that spreads with the seed and limits what sections can be used).
    D: seed sections are placed with a ruleset that ensures that option for connections with relevant other seeds are virtually unavoidable - color is used to detect whether a connection is allowed/made/still-needed.
    E: not a problem in itself, but completely fucks up B. ... just try randomly again till some acceptable result is found - is bound to fail badly at some point.

So, looked around:
    * torchlight: uses "variations" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqkJD7fQq8 - absolutely terrible idea and of no use for me.
    * diablo 3: uses what 2 & 1 used, but with much higher granularity (!!!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9NLRDAs0YA - yeah, the granularity is so extremely huge that just randomly trying is enough. No use for me either.

Any other games i should investigate?

Progress report on my end for Dragonslair.

No screenshots to show this time as whilst I have made some good progress here and there when I've had the motivation to work on it, I'd rather wait till I have better stuff to show off. Since my last update basic player stat display is in, the player can shoot (complete with correct animations as per the nes original) and the player has proper health now that when depleted does the correct death animations (a skeleton crumpling to the ground) and I've added in a health power up to replenish lost health. Plus after death the player now correctly respawns back to the starting location.

So now with those in, it is slowly starting to be more like a game, though it still needs moving obstacles and enemies in before it will start to get good. Note that I plan on bundling the level editor I put together with it when the time comes. That way anyone can go make their own levels entirely. One thing at a time however.

Adding in the moving obstacles is the next task for me to take on.

Is anybody else having trouble lately installing the DirectX SDK? I need its headers and libs to compile my 3d engine, but I keep getting this "s1023" error and it wont install properly. There are other forums were people complain about it but nobody really has a real answer. Have any of you guys used the SDK and had this problem? I'm installing the june 2010 version.

Tried using an earlier SDK?

Judith
    Yeah. The modelling is good, but the texturing makes it look too brand new to me. Like your building was built only a month or two ago. If I were to suggest one thing to do , I'd say add in a little more weathering detail to the texture. Like maybe a few more rain streaks, and maybe just a tad of discoloring along the edges of your crevices. Or better yet, go in and add some slight bumpiness and variance to your normalmaps. Anything to break up that perfect smoothness by just the tiniest bit. I can see you've got some of that in there, but I'd pop it out a little more to give it some more personality.

Man, I just reread the paragraph above, and damn do I sound like a cheesy fucker. I'm almost surprised I didn't tell you to add in oregano to give it that extra tang of elusive umami. :P
    Nah, you're right, in a way. But it also means I'm getting the desired effect This is meant to be almost-brand-new building and the overall setting as well. All games use organics or dirt to break up the pattern these days, I'm kinda bored with that. I'd like to try more clean style but without this artificial look you typically get.

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Any other games i should investigate?
    I'm not quite sure I understand what you're going for... any chance you could describe your game a bit more? Spelunky Got me into this sort of stuff in the first place, but you should also check out classic roguelikes - NetHack is my choice. This wiki has lists of games that use proceduralism in some way.

Haha, sweet! Second year, actually a combined BE/BSc. Would I know you from classes?
    Probably not, I only teach in one class and it is masters. Do you spend much time in the undergrad labs?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Tried using an earlier SDK?
    I didn't bother because its apparently not compatible with the software I'm building, (so says the software's creator)

Took a break from my Thief level to start powering through the grunt work on Gun Bastard. It's getting more and more finished by the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Probably not, I only teach in one class and it is masters. Do you spend much time in the undergrad labs?
    Not really... I live close by so I tend not to hang around. No classes there this semester either (except mentoring). Moving out next year though, so I'll probably be frequenting the labs and lounge a bit more!

Page 12 of 118 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762112 ... LastLast