TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 101 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

The reflections are also a very, very nice touch.

Taking a break
    Is this going to be some sort of topdown Terraria/Spelunky thing?

If so color me interested, now I only need to procreate so my grandchildren can play it when it's finally out

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    ...now I only need to procreate...
    CarminaBurana.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Is this going to be some sort of topdown Terraria/Spelunky thing?

If so color me interested, now I only need to procreate so my grandchildren can play it when it's finally out
    I plan to release it somewhere around the final release of dwarf fortress.

Moderator and Priest
    I figured everyone in this thread would find this interesting, since you're all tech dorks like me.

Blender in the past has always been a good for a free program type deal. It's decent enough, but it's missing far too many features to match the big expensive modelers. You had to spend a hefty amount of time relying on workaround techniques to do something that'd take no more than a couple of seconds elsewhere. It annoyed me to no end.

...but not anymore

Come 2.63, Blender will be able to compete with the big guys. Now all you Blender specific people can know the joys of ngons, knife tools, edge bevels with recursion, all kinds of neat features you'll all wonder how you lived without. The video above does an excellent job of showing exactly why these new features are good enough to gush over. I can almost model in it the same way I do in Modo.

Blender is slowly and surely becoming something really good. It's getting to the point where you don't have to settle for less if you want to take the free option.

I've been using blender professionally for years now, but the b-mesh build I tried today gave me a boner visible from space.

The speed of hotkey enforced blender plus the flexibility of uv and mesh retaining modelling tools, its heaven!

Moderator and Priest
    Hey Eldron, you don't mind if I hit you up via PMs for Blender tips, do you? Most of the tutorials I find on the internet are either for the old interface, or are stark newbie tuts. I could use some help learning how to do some semi but not quite basic things.

On my end, I've finally got around to scrapping my increasingly more buggy and annoying collision code in favor of Bullet Physics, a popular open source and free physics game used in various commercial games.

While it is nice, it's a pain to implement as my old model worked quite differently, so I am finding myself forced to add hacks and potentially completely rework how I represent my physical world. Urgh. But hey, proper collision and physics at last!

EDIT: Spawning a bunch of characters next to each other with full physics and accidentally tipping one only to watch them all fall over onto each other in a complete domino effect was quite amusing. Luckily Bullet comes with a way to lock physcis to specific axes
    Last edited by Yakoob; 21st Feb 2012 at 23:43.

Moderator and Priest
    Woohoo! Getting closer to awesome every day, Yak.

And someone needs to complement Madin, because those are some fairly decent little models.

Also, my first Blender model. An ugly candleholder. I'll add a handle when I learn how to bridge and extrude a little better.

On my end I've been working on the next demo update for my Dragonslair remake. Currently I've got fixed direction jumps in (as in if you jump left that's the direction your going only) using Super Castlevania IV + some other games as my basis for comparison analysis. Just need to get the right mix of upward rise and downward drop speeds to a better looking amount and then adapting the existing levels to better match this.

I've noticed that many 2D platforming games allow for jumps where you can do an additional quick move mid-jump in the direction already faced when jumping straight up (ie when wanting to jump over something) so I added that in also. Now if you walk off a platform/block you fall straight down, rather than gliding about freely.

Another jump related feature I have adapted over from other games (Super Mario and Castlevania) is for direction cancelling, of if whilst mid-jump pressing in the opposite direction to that currently moving causing all x-axis related movement to stop, and thus just dropping straight down. Allowing for better precision jumping and less frustrating deaths of jumping into things.

Once jumping is just right it's onto speeding up shooting (quick job) and then working on the moving spikes.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Feb 2012 at 09:08.

At last, the main reason I switched to using bullet is implemented - efficient per-triangle collision detection! I can now import complex meshes and have perfect collision out of the box Also rudimentary player movement and jumping is in, meaning I can now start making explorable worlds so Renz, I'm waiting for some cool stuff from you to start toying around with

On the down side, this is all very hackish just to familiarize myself with Bullet. It works, but I really need to rework my internal world/entity/rendering/physics structure. The problem isn't so much figuring out how to do it, but rather, which of the myriad of possibilities is going to be the best long term solution...
    Last edited by Yakoob; 24th Feb 2012 at 18:05.

Moderator and Priest
    So I like Blender now. Been goofing around with it, planning on making some video tutorials for it. All kinds of good stuff. But to ease any transition issues I might have between the two, I've decided to make Blender as much like Modo as I can. Been changing hotkey bindings, colors. All kinds of stuff.

And thus was born...BLENMODO!

Yeah. I'm a goddamn dork.

You should totally make that into a preset file for the preset in the startup menu, tons of people would want something like that.

I loaded up the light editor for Berserker@Quake 2. This is an engine that adds per-pixel lighting/refractions/normal maps to Quake 2. Thing is, someone has to re-place all the lights in the maps for it to work. A few of them have been done, like the deathmatch set, but my favorites (the CTF bunch) have not. It would be cool to see light streaming down from those fans through the rotating blades on Mckinley Revival or the sun shining in through the roof of the bases.

One thing I wonder about is whether to have lights in tunnels. In the original game and a lot of games from back then, you saw tunnels/areas with no actual light sources on walls, though they were still magically lit. From a design standpoint, what do you do? Do you make them dark, or add just enough light for the palyer to see. This is assuming you don't just give the player a flashlight, which would be pretty freaking cool.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldron View Post
    You should totally make that into a preset file for the preset in the startup menu, tons of people would want something like that.
    I've posted the .xml and .py files over at Polycount. I'd go with the more official routes, but it's hardly what I'd call finished just yet. Just getting anything to respond at all to double left-clicks has been a huge pain in the ass, even with the option seemingly built right into the input editor.

But if you're interested in it, I'll go ahead and post the links to the file. Maybe you can give me some advice. I'm trying to set it up so it controls more like Modo, but still plays to Blenders strengths.

Key map
    Theme

And the big list 'o changes thus far...

Blenmodo Hotkeys

(the to do's are future examples. Something I want to change, but either conflicts with something else, or I haven't figured out how to implement yet)

Camera Controls

Rotate -Alt+Left Mouse Button
    Pan -Alt+Right Mouse Button
    Zoom -Mouse Wheel
    Smooth Zoom -Alt+Middle Mouse Button

(To do)
    Rotate -Alt+Left Mouse Button
    Pan -Alt+Shift+Left Mouse Button
    Smooth Zoom -Alt+Ctrl+Left Mouse Button

Manipulators

Translate Manipulator -W
    Free Translate -Shift+W
    Rotate Manipulator -R
    Free Rotate -Shift+R
    Scale Manipulator -T
    Free Scale -Shift+T

UV Editor

Call Stitch/Align Menu -Q
    Unwrap -U
    Translate -W
    Rotate -E
    Scale -R
    Place 3D Cursor -Middle Mouse Button
    Pan -Right Mouse

Cut Tools

Loop Slice -Alt+C
    Knife (To do) -C

Miscellaneous

Toggle Wireframe -F
    Edge Bevel (To do) -B
    Merge Menu -S
    Extrude Menu -Z
    Search Menu -M (Needs Changing)
    Loop Select -Shift+Alt+Left Mouse Button
    Loop Select (To do) -Double Left Mouse Click
    Toggle Quad View -Numpad 0
    Marquee Select -Click & Drag Left Mouse Button
    Lasso Select -Click & Drag Right Mouse Button (hold shift and lasso click to deselect)

Here's what I'm going for.

Looks fantastic as the fan rotates and the shadows go around. Always wanted to see these maps like this.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I finally got around to playing this - didn't get too far in, but nice work! I don't have much to add to others' comments, except that the lack of a melee attack felt a bit odd (unless I missed it - I leaped straight in without rebinding the keys ;P). Again, I suppose that's something you've retained from the original. It'd be great to see what you could do if you left the source material behind a bit!

this is why I need better artists -.- Renz how's your scene coming along?

ddd-ouble post!

It's quite interesting what you can make in an hour of spamming the same three models with different scales and orientations hmm hmm!

EDIT: and a POV shot:

Last edited by Yakoob; 29th Feb 2012 at 03:34.

Been working on this for awhile now. It's really fun to see it turn into something useful (and incredibly cool) just from a bunch of little parts you can get at hardware and electronics supply stores.
    Cost me a grand total of about 350 bucks not counting the cost of the projector. Last I heard - and I could be wrong - the Microsoft Surface was still over $10K It still needs some bugs worked out, but its cool.

If you don't want to watch all the videos in a row, skip to the last one. I kind of suck at being a youtube tutorial guy and I talk too much.

Video 1: Preparation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WDwZgq-yU

Video 2: Drilling holes for the frame
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3jtz0QqNe0

Video 3: Frame Construction (polishing acrylic edges too)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUHw8L8DuhU

Video 4: Wiring LEDís
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb1X55974-A

Video 5: Finished Frame
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y14HTuCUMgY

Video 6: First Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDjzyHtD4U

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    At last, the main reason I switched to using bullet is implemented - efficient per-triangle collision detection! I can now import complex meshes and have perfect collision out of the box
    I really-really want to use Bullet too, but i keep postponing it. Will probably keep postponing it as long as possible - for various reasons:
    * my current physics implementation [1] is extremely easy to integrate into my ever-changing data formats.
    * it implements only the bare minimum needed (collision + data struct for response) leaving the broad phase to me - useful as i can just use my own spatial data structures directly instead of forcing me to have a separate structure like in Bullet (limited to the ones it has).
    * perfect access to everything (collision events / collision response / material [down to triangle level]) - looks like a f* nightmare at Bullet side [2].
    * my current level of physics is sufficient for the time being.

[1] Sweeping (ie. does not skip space => can not "miss" collisions / get stuck / go unstable) sphere (+ deformations) vs triangle. Implemented and tested thoroughly by way smarter people than me (have not found any faults, and as it has been used commercially for a long time, i seriously doubt there are any).
    [2] One special worry for me is that Bullet has only one structure that can hold my current world info (multi material triangle soup) and its implementation sounds terrible (for me that is). Need to delve deeper into it tho to be sure (primary concerns for me: memory consumption & cheap raytracing & excessive amount of pointless collision checks [ie. if it would ask me then i could tell that there are no triangles in the spot the entity is without looking at any triangles at all]).

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Been working on this for awhile now.
    Seems i missed it. How the hell does it work? Ie, how does it determine where your "cursors" are? Infrared led + specially crafted cam for infra red = ... no idea. Different amount of infra red hitting pressured areas?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    A word about JavaScript :

I don't know whether i have mentioned it before somewhere, but i use JavaScript a lot for prototyping and such. Mostly for historical reasons as one only needs a browser. Very good for the computer classes (etc) that had no "usual" programming languages available . Also, easy to make GUI's. JavaScript is also quite versatile language when you get to know it. Today, i got also really impressed by its speed (relatively speaking of course):

I was generating a 3D texture (proof of concept stuff) and it took ~35-45 sec (includes me navigating to- and clicking "yes, continue with the suspiciously long script?" several times) to generate my 128*128*128 texture data and draw a slice of it 3x2 tiled with 2 lights:
    * 2 times processed with an convolution filter of size 9*9*9.
    * several octaves of brown noise (tiling value noise [uses vectors for displacement - so, looks even better than simplex noise, but of course, very-very slow]).
    * lots of other per texel computations.

So, how many times does it execute the innermost loop in the convolution filter? Let's see: 2*128*128*128*9*9*9 ... > 3billion ... with non trivial, tiling, lookups into the texture along the way ... tell me that is not bloody impressive. I doubt i could do it in heavily optimized C under 4 sec :/. Hm, 40sec * 2.5GHz / 3bil ~= 33 tics per innermost loop (that would include the innermost loop logic itself and texture lookup calculations and assuming 0 L0 cache misses). Damn. 4sec might have been way too optimistic.

Btw, i did the calculations as i was bothered that it took so long and was wondering whether it would be worth to convert it to C with all the inconveniences C brings to the table. Well, it just is not worth it, it seems :/.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, what the hell am i doing, you ask?

This kind of thing.
    * Mouse movement over the part that has 73 on it selects the texture slice - very convenient to see what is going on inside the 3D texture (especially how it renders when i have the rendering visualizer function attached to it).
    * 2 lights (one redish with an angle & one bluish almost perpendicular to slice plane)
    * Materials: none inbetween, every cobble is one shade of pure gray (8 options) ... basically no materials to fog the view.
    * Yellow line is heightmap at y=0 at current slice depth.

GOAL: 3D texture that works however which way you cut it. This includes surface normals (! think about that for a moment), occlusion (ie, cracks and such ... ! think about that too x_x), specular & falloff, 3 separate materials to be mixed together per texel, additional stuff if i find a way to squeeze all of that into 2 textures. Pretty optimistic about it so far

Generation:
    * Try to generate 2500 points. All at least 15 units apart from each other (taking tiling into account of course).
    * Do a concurrent (per generated point) distance timed flood fill to generate the 3D voronoi shapes (aka. cobbles).
    * Round them using 9*9*9 counting (texels with matching cobble id's) convolution filter (need something better either here or somewhere else to ensure there will be space between cobbles as some of them tend to fuse together graphically).
    * Find the borderness (x_x) of any cobble texel in relation to other cobbles / "empty" space (convolution filter again) - use it as a base measure of depth (perpendicular to triangle surface direction ... whichever way that happens to be).
    * Add a bit of per cobble (to prevent separate adjacent cobbles sharing a recognizable pattern) noise to it (avoiding excessive damage to cobble surface regions while doing so).
    * Calculate normals & relevant magic to make it actually work (not entirely committed to current solution. it works alright, but that is not a reason to stop looking) etc etc.

Currently some of it works fairly well, some does not, some of it is not even done yet ... aka ... WIP.

--------------------------------
    Other javascript stuff:

Invented a triangulation algorithm as i could not find anything matching my needs (That thing is considered to be in one piece, built from contour lines [no prior relations know between the contour lines - ie. does not need to know what is inside what]. Counter clockwise forms solids and clockwise forms holes). One of many debugging polygons. "Step" is single step through algorith steps with highlights using "yield" command.

Testing light propagation algorithms. Bottom image is decision map (to see what the algorithm is doing) - mouse over there shows the details at top right. Allows edits (local updates - does not relight all, just the area that will change [yeah, it can predict that pretty accurately]).

Finding a new light direction algorithm as i found that real-world texture interpolation precision is absolutely horrifyingly bad (what do you mean i can not differentiate 1/256th change in color 500 units away from origin between 2 adjacent texels in a 256 wide texture on a 1/100th texel delta!?) - i kind of required that to be not the case x_x. Well, the new one kind of works (even on real hardware) and bypasses most of the interpolation issues.

Developing and generating code for voxel based tessellation. Things to note:
    * There are exactly 22 unique configurations of 2x2x2 space.
    * red = bottom, green = top, yellow = both.
    * #0 & #21 do not produce anything.
    * Cases #3, #6, #8, #9, #11, #13, #16, #17, #19 are combinations of the gray "base" cases.
    * Cases #14 & #18 cannot be solved reliably (need to know more than just 2x2x2).
    * Case #19 is fucking annoying exceptional case.
    * The fXrYZ stuff notes the flips and rotations needed to turn the 2x2x2 area into the one and only shown base case (case bit-pattern number in front).
    Last edited by zombe; 29th Feb 2012 at 20:30. Reason: mandatory typos: GHz g'damn it.

There are a lot of different ways that DIY multitouch screens work. Pretty much all of them involve IR light and a camera modified to reject visible light and only see IR.
    Some methods use a plane of light over the surface that shines brightly when it intersects with your finger, can use LED's or IR lasers. My method is called Frustrated Total Internal Reflection. The led's fill the inside of the plexiglass, it bouces around inside of it and doesn't escape.

But it does shine a bit on the surfaces by a few hundred nanometers. This is called Evanescent Field Strength. and when your finger touches it, the light is "frustrated" and shines down through plexiglass to the IR camera. then you just track it with software and use whatever protocol you want to turn it into mouse events.

To make the effect better, with a foam paint roller i put a layer of silicone (from a tube at the hardware store) on the back of my projection surface, which is just drafting paper. That way when you press on the paper it squishes into the surface of the plexiglass, again "frustrating" the shape of the surface and shines down even stronger into the camera. (and it works much better for dragging.

It's pretty cool, but lots of work.

There's another method like mine that uses some fancy acrylic plexiglass with microscopic mirrors in it that increase the evanescent field strength so that you dont' have to use a layer of silicone. This would be ideal, but it has a bit of a hover effect and the acrylic is expensive.

I'll post updates if people are interested. You can find almost everything at

www.nuigroup.org

fun project. Makes me excited for Windows 8 actually.

Pretty darn cool. Do you have do anything specific with it, like make a control surface for synthesizer variables or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    I really-really want to use Bullet too, but i keep postponing it. Will probably keep postponing it as long as possible - for various reasons:
    * my current physics implementation [1] is extremely easy to integrate into my ever-changing data formats.
    * it implements only the bare minimum needed (collision + data struct for response) leaving the broad phase to me - useful as i can just use my own spatial data structures directly instead of forcing me to have a separate structure like in Bullet (limited to the ones it has).
    * perfect access to everything (collision events / collision response / material [down to triangle level]) - looks like a f* nightmare at Bullet side [2].
    * my current level of physics is sufficient for the time being.

[1] Sweeping (ie. does not skip space => can not "miss" collisions / get stuck / go unstable) sphere (+ deformations) vs triangle. Implemented and tested thoroughly by way smarter people than me (have not found any faults, and as it has been used commercially for a long time, i seriously doubt there are any).
    [2] One special worry for me is that Bullet has only one structure that can hold my current world info (multi material triangle soup) and its implementation sounds terrible (for me that is). Need to delve deeper into it tho to be sure (primary concerns for me: memory consumption & cheap raytracing & excessive amount of pointless collision checks [ie. if it would ask me then i could tell that there are no triangles in the spot the entity is without looking at any triangles at all]).
    Just skim through the official manual, it will give you an idea how Bullet works and how integrating will need to happen. It does kinda force you into thinking of your physical world in Bullet's terms, but it's not at all a bed system.

Basically you have a "world" which has "bodies" made of different "shapes." The shapes can be various primitives (sphere, capsules, boxes, cones, etc), a convex point cloud, a triangle mesh, etc. And the actual bodies can be rigid or soft, with lots of properites you can set like mass, velocity, restition; you can also limit linear and angular factors so you can effectively use it as 2D or 1D simulation, make sure player and NPCs dont fall forward (rotate only around y-axis) etc.

So for each of your game-objects you just create an associated body made of associated shapes, and Bullet handles the rest in a (safe) multi-threaded environment with its own spatial partitioning structures and algorithms.

You basically have a mirror-copy of your game-world in bullet. Whenever a body's position is changed, it triggers a callback object you define yourself, so it can update your game-objects (for rendering and logic). And when your logic changes your game-object, simply have it also set the bullet's body (position, velocity, whatever) and you ensure the two parallel worlds are synched!

There's also collision callbacks, possible controllers for NPCs/Vehicles (early stage looks like) and ways to query the physical world if you want to do some gameplay checks, but I havent gotten around to that so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Pretty darn cool. Do you have do anything specific with it, like make a control surface for synthesizer variables or whatever?
    Most people use them for one or two specific apps done in Flash or something. I hope to have a bit more of a practical use. I do a lot of programming in Max / MSP and PureData. So being able to control my patches (which could very well be synthesizers) would be great.

I'm really hoping to be able to use it as a control surface for my DAW software. Cubase in my case, but it should work with all sorts. It'd be really great to use every track in my software mixer rather than spend several thousand dollars on a hardware mixer with electrostatic, motorized faders and still end up with limited channels to play with. If I get it working I'll put up a vid. Software and the FOV of my IR camera are my 2 biggest hurdles right now.

Page 16 of 101 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166 ... LastLast