TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 104 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819202122273237424752576267 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    I finally got around to playing this - didn't get too far in, but nice work! I don't have much to add to others' comments, except that the lack of a melee attack felt a bit odd (unless I missed it - I leaped straight in without rebinding the keys ;P). Again, I suppose that's something you've retained from the original. It'd be great to see what you could do if you left the source material behind a bit!
    Thank you for your comments. I have no objections at all to sharing the source code once I've done all I can on it.

Just practicing with some modular stuff, not sure if I will use it in any mission or anywhere else.

Moderator and Priest
    That is not half bad. If you're up to it, think you could throw me an in editor shot? I've been needing to practice modular building, and a good example would help spur me along.

dungeon staircases

Moderator and Priest
    I'm tired of Yak getting all the bragging fun. I figured I'm far enough along in my little scene to show off some WIP shots.

The Abandoned Desert Gas Station.

No post apocalyptic bullshit here. It's just an abandoned gas station out in the desert. I wanted to go for a sun bleached, red dirt blasted environment. Right now, I've got the red dirt down, but I need to tweak the colors to err a little brighter.

I also kinda wish I made my simple building a little less simple. Guess I'll have to spruce it up with doodads and odds and ends later.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'm tired of Yak getting all the bragging fun.
    Now you know how us programmers feel like when people watch game trailers and only comment on how great the graphics look

Let's play "Guess what feature I just implemented"

Moderator and Priest
    Wireframe mode? :P

I'm still working on my end slowly. Got the main brunt of my building diffuse textured. I just have the top and the back to do, then I'll start the pumps (which I'm planning on redoing so they look a little more 50's-ish).

Gotta say, I'm really started to regret going so low poly with the scene. The building looked alright when it didn't have any texturing on it, but now that I've got a bit done, it's starting to look flat. It's kinda funny. The more detail I add, the more boring it looks.

Maybe once I get the normalmaps on it, it'll look better.

edit: by the way, when I said I thought it'd be cool to go for a steep angle 3rd person overhead perspective, this is what I had in mind...

What do you think?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 7th Mar 2012 at 21:26.

Oh god stop teasing me and finally finish the model so I can import it and start playing with it in engine :P

Speaking of which, we need to start talking story and gameplay; I want to start designing the logic part and need to know what we're aiming for!

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Oh god stop teasing me and finally finish the model so I can import it and start playing with it in engine :P
    No need to wait! PM me your email address, and I'll share the dropbox folder with you. I'll convert the scene to a bunch of .obj files, and...yeah, I'll leave the rest to up you for now. :P

Speaking of which, we need to start talking story and gameplay; I want to start designing the logic part and need to know what we're aiming for!
    Alright. I should be on tomorrow earlyish. I'll hit you up, and we'll throw around a few ideas.

Moderator and Priest
    I figured I'd go ahead and post this up, since I like to talk about myself, and the things I do.

The Gas Station, Now With Grass The Way It's Supposed To Look, And Moonlit

Slowly and surely, I'm inching my way towards something decent.

Looking good. I'm not a huge fan of the 50s visual aesthetic, but yours is well-done. I'm moderately jealous that you're modelling and texturing at the same time. I rarely texture anything I model beyond a test grid, if that. It's a habit I should probably break...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    Looking good. I'm not a huge fan of the 50s visual aesthetic, but yours is well-done. I'm moderately jealous that you're modelling and texturing at the same time. I rarely texture anything I model beyond a test grid, if that. It's a habit I should probably break...
    Best way to break the habit is to do it. I used to be about the same way. Most everything I make is just me making something to make, either for practice, or just to see how quickly I can do it. I'd rarely ever texture anything, or even go as far as UVing what I've done.

Then one day I wanted to start making full on textured scenes. I started out with something simple. That little depot I posted over a year ago. It was all low poly objects, easy to unwrap, and I didn't get into any complicated texturing work. Just diffusemaps with the shadows painted in. From then, I've pretty much been working up from there.

Edit: Just found this shot. Don't think I ever posted up the finished version of that old farm house I did a few months back

Last edited by Renzatic; 10th Mar 2012 at 20:19.

aaah the power of collaboration

Moderator and Priest
    WOOHOO!

The only thing that brings it down are those smoothing errors I keep meaning to fix but never get around to along the edge. I need to get off my ass and do that right fast. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Wireframe mode? :P

I'm still working on my end slowly. Got the main brunt of my building diffuse textured. I just have the top and the back to do, then I'll start the pumps (which I'm planning on redoing so they look a little more 50's-ish).

Gotta say, I'm really started to regret going so low poly with the scene. The building looked alright when it didn't have any texturing on it, but now that I've got a bit done, it's starting to look flat. It's kinda funny. The more detail I add, the more boring it looks.

Maybe once I get the normalmaps on it, it'll look better.

edit: by the way, when I said I thought it'd be cool to go for a steep angle 3rd person overhead perspective, this is what I had in mind...

What do you think?
    Nice work in progress!

Moderator and Priest
    Thanks, Madin.

Normalmaps on the main building? finished. Lighting? Moodier. Gas pumps? Started. I actually kinda like it better without the gas pumps. Makes it look more lonely somehow.

Yak, whenever you get to that point, I really deeply suggest you go through the Blender source and look at their lighting engine. It can produce beautiful results with only a small amount of work.

Making a mech-warfare based roguelike for 7 day roguelike event, in c++ using libtcod.

Koki made CryEngine 3? This explains his disdain for all the competition!

Eldron, why on earth are you using ascii art? Is it just time constraints?

Given your texturing strengths, it seems almost perverse.

Also, "The slams into the concrete wall." -should be "the mech slams into the concrete wall"?

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Eldron, why on earth are you using ascii art? Is it just time constraints?

Given your texturing strengths, it seems almost perverse.

Also, "The slams into the concrete wall." -should be "the mech slams into the concrete wall"?
    7 days of making a game, not one day of making a game and the rest making art :P, I've always wanted to do an oldschool roguelike!
    With that said though, if it turns out to be extremely fun to play I'll have no problem making a graphical version later on.

And yeah, missing an object name there.

These are textures that I've done, starting with cleaning up the model (if necessary) and then doing an UV unwrap. The models and textures are C&C related has usual.

Allied AA guns:
    Allied AA Gun

Soviet Flame Tower: While I did not model this, I intend on fixing a couple of issues with the model.
    Flame Tower - Max with shaders

Nod SAM Site (TS):
    TS Nod SAM - Open

Malf, that looks quite awesome... would you perchance be interested in putting your modelling skills into a little game project Renz and I have started working on recently?

As for my update, while not using the NavMesh just yet, I have a basic AI walker support

Look at the army of clones! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Eldron - I'd really like to have a go at that when it's done!

Yakoob - I highly recommend Recast if you want some really robust navigation. It should be easy enough to figure out how to feed it your own mesh data, then you're home free.

Page 17 of 104 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819202122273237424752576267 ... LastLast