TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Well I have finished typing up all the "written infodumps" for my game like books, articles, magazines, etc. Right now they do verge a bit of on the wall-o-text side of things, but its sufficient for the "beta" stage of text stuff. I definitely need to make it more interesting, though, like show-don't-tell kind of a way; but that's when future editors will hopefully help with too. Here's a sneak peek of a more interesting bit:

next, I need to finish typing up the conversations (unnngghhh) and do a few more feature tweaks, and I can officially announce a "beta" and start recruiting writers/artists/composers! Yeeee!
    Last edited by Yakoob; 21st Nov 2012 at 23:00.

Taking the Death Toll
    the fuck is an oldager

And to find that out, you'll need to play the game

Made my first Portal 2 test chamber.

If you play it, let me know what you thought. (Besides how pretentious the name is.)

Speaking of Unity recently, I got the default Unity-guy walking around 18th Century Paris now. That's kind of a Hello World thing to do. Seemed to take more work than it looks.

Moderator and Priest
    There's something very ZX Spectrumish about that, Dema. Kinda cool looking. actually.

There's something evocative of a Lowry in that, dema. Throw in loads more of those little people and see what happens

Still Subjective
    Somehow reminds me of The Last Ninja 2.

I'm also working in Unity now. I'm trying to build a game with a very simple concept, that is sort of the opposite of Scramble and R-Type combined, but has the potential to be pretty complex. It'll be an age before I have a working prototype though. Well, one that's respectable to show anyway.

I like it, you classy motherfucker.

Now all you need to do is corrupt some RPG tropes and have your mother wake you up, meet your childhood friend and go to watch some beheadings down town.

I can see the last ninja connection there. Though would need to be zoomed in a fair bit. First game was always my favorite despite the high difficulty level.

When I got the whole map to tile ~seamlessly (a big task in itself), I felt that oldschool look too (reminds me of The Great Escape) and it was almost irresistible to try to get some AI roaming on it. The map is pretty massive, the entire city of 1740 Paris & surrounding countryside at the scale of individual doors, windows & trees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turgot_map_of_Paris.

So the game is basically a French Revolution sim.

The mousewheel will zoom in and out, since things happen at different levels of scale -- fight spawned bandits zoomed-in (or the French military/police, or the British & Austrians who invade at some point; or helping each of these. Factions evolve as the Revolution plays out -- e.g., if the revolution passes a critical threshold, the military switches sides, gangs become revolutionaries, and nobles become outlaws -- and you can always pick sides.) or visit buildings zoomed-in (opening a popup window with stats and sometimes the "inside" in the popup, you can walk around in) vs. control your urban empire zoomed-out by clicking on buildings or AI you own or control. I'd also like letting you order AI to do work for you or fight for you, if you're a military officer or bandit gangleader, or even employees or guards, so light RTS, which would be zoomed-out; but we'll see about that. Oh and when you visit buildings, I'd also like the possibility of randomized "events" happening or mini-quests possible, so a little rogue-like in exploring the city.

I want different factions you can be, merchant, noble, military, farmer, priest, or waif, etc. You have a year before the revolution to build yourself up -- whatever that means for your position & ambition: buy properties, employees & supplies, build a bandit/revolutionary gang, move up the church or military hierarchy to command lower churches or army units, etc.

The big goal of the game is getting appointed emperor for life by the revolutionary gov't (which first requires you to get elected to the gov't itself, where you have to get your district's support block by block), and once there, get support delegate by delegate to become president (as well as enact policies that help whatever cause you want, -- create communism & abolish the priesthood, or keep the king & the nobility in the new gov't ... then see what happens on the streets, to the economy, and to your popularity -- or selfishly help your own business. This part could almost be a 19th Century France sim, since they seemed to try anything at least once in that century.)

Getting elected president would get you a victory message, but you could continue to play indefinitely after that, running politics to build up & control the city. Or you could also sod all that and fight for restoration & the highest appointment by the king, or become Bishop of Paris, or rule the streets as a merchant prince or bandit king, which could be their own alt victories. Or you could try to get all the victories in the same game (I think, not sure about that). But you could also just explore the city and trigger events in apts & hidden locations, some of which I'd like to trigger storylines that have you going all over the city on little missions following a plot to a conclusion, like early GTA.

I have a lot of notes written out on my ideas, but to spell it all out would take forever, and most of it is in flux as I'm getting a handle on what's possible anyway.
    Last edited by demagogue; 21st Dec 2012 at 03:16.

Finally, after probably 20+ hrs, much struggles and getting-sick-of-it syndrome, I am (for the time being) DONE. My plot character conversation trees are complete:

(click for huger, spoiler free)

Much revising is needed and extra dialogue will be added, but key points to convey and gameplay variables are set up! I can move my convos to official Alpha stage. God damn finally. This turned out to take much longer than I anticipated. Many good lessons learned, tho.

Now to mix it up a little and do some coding. Next up: UI, Intro and tutorial
    Last edited by Yakoob; 21st Dec 2012 at 23:08.

If any of you like the game Axis & Allies, I made a map based on the Cold War in Asia (combines the Chinese Revolution, Korean War, & Indochina War into one map) on the TripleA engine. It could use some people playing the AI as a kind of beta-testing to balance it. If you're interested in helping out or just playing it for the fun of it, here's the map download and here's where you can download the free TripleA engine. Then you just drop the .zip file in the "maps" folder to see it on the menu & play it (it's called "Cold War Asia 1948"). Plays pretty much exactly like Axis & Allies does.

Last edited by demagogue; 10th Jan 2013 at 08:29.

I've been working with Brainworth for the better part of a year now, but one week ago we kicked into high-intensity mode. We revamped everything and have just released the first version of our product: an online educational world. You can read more about it at the main site, or hell, just go play it! You'll need a Facebook account, Chrome, and Windows or OSX. Linux support will come within the week.

Apologies if the image comes out a bit wide. It's really best to get on the site and have a go! I recommend the right-hand Behavior Tree path rather than the Snakepit path, unless you're confident with programming already. We've not yet integrated the educational material we've started for Snakepit, so it's not entirely comprehensible yet.

A few technical notes:
    • The main graph runs in Flash, with HTML interface elements over the top.
    • The games are pretty much all Javascript/Canvas, with assorted exotic technology like jsrepl for programming in the browser.
    • I was the main interface programmer (not the graphic designer). It's all Javascript, using AngularJS.

Non-technical notes:
    • We can do non-Facebook logins, but we're really pushing the social aspect. It's part of what Brainworth is all about.
    • The end goal is to have developers plug their own browser-based educational games into the graph, forming a massive open-source community-driven curriculum where you can learn just about everything.
    • Next week: Linux support, developer abilities (create your own islands!), more content, and maybe a way to view your profile.

Have been working on procedural dungeon generation for my top-down roguelike which I first posted shots of over a year ago

This is just the visualisation for the mapping algorithm, it's not part of the game. Needs a few tweaks yet - i.e. door (blue square) placement, redundant corridor removal, room density etc. The corridors are at least now flowing correctly.

Still Subjective
    Is it a set of conditional algorithms? I'm planning on creating a bunch for semi-random enemy generation in something I'm working on in Unity.

A couple months after getting laid off I decided to really buckle down and learn Android development (and Java, since you can't do one without the other), and the other day decided that the game I've been making is close enough to beta to just go ahead and call it beta. It's playable end to end; but I don't have the majority of the artwork because I'm not good at drawing, so that part is hard and not fun for me.

Video:
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 25th Jan 2013 at 19:11.

Still Subjective
    Thats pretty cool as it is though. I'm sure you'll be able to find an artist to flesh out the graphics for you. If you could get it playing on multiple devices it'd be really cool to all have your own table. Will it work on a phone or are the screens too small? And how hard (possible?) would it be to get this type of thing networked on Android devices in close proximity but not through the net? In other words by bluetooth or by wifi to wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Have been working on procedural dungeon generation for my top-down roguelike which I first posted shots of over a year ago

This is just the visualisation for the mapping algorithm, it's not part of the game. Needs a few tweaks yet - i.e. door (blue square) placement, redundant corridor removal, room density etc. The corridors are at least now flowing correctly.
    Neato. I wrote some of my own way way back when I was in the pre-graphics, ascii-only programming stage. I think every game-programmer does a roguelike-random-dungeon-generator at some point; it's like a pre-requisite before you can move into proper graphics haha

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Thats pretty cool as it is though. I'm sure you'll be able to find an artist to flesh out the graphics for you.
    If my Postmortem game is any indication, graphic artists are actually the hardest to come by from scouring random game forums. Altho I have not yet posted my announcement in every forum/website I considered so...

That being said, congrats Fafhrd for getting to the Beta phase
    Last edited by Yakoob; 25th Jan 2013 at 22:43.

There's an API for direct Wi-fi connection between devices, but I'm not really sure how it works, and I know absolutely nothing about even basic network programming, so I was going to save that for version 2 (which would also maybe have a phone compatible layout that would only be usable for network play). The API is also only in Ice Cream Sandwich or higher (which admittedly most tablets should be on by now), so I'd be cutting out everything running Honeycomb. I can think how networking it would work logically with my current code, but coding it is currently beyond me.

I've also had some slightly goofy ideas like using the tablet as the game board and networking a bunch of phones to it and dealing the cards to the phones, since the biggest drawback (imo) about the 'pass it around' method is that the population change animations usually won't be visible to everyone, so there's a risk that on someone's first turn they'll be almost dead and not know why, but again: network coding.

The super-tentative plan is: Version 1.0 - This version + art. Version 2.0 - Network play + phone compatibility. Version 3.0 (Maybe) - Replace the map window with an OpenGL window so it'll at the very least animate more smoothly and maybe be able to do some other things like have the active improvements show up as 3D pop-ups (in my head I really want the map to look kind of like a pop-up book, but there's a lot of stuff I need to learn to get there from here).

I really wish I had enough money to commission Molly Crabapple or Zoetica Ebb to do the art, but I'm unemployed and they're (presumably) not cheap.

Pretty cool looking card game.
    For art, I'm basically pilfering public domain art and modifying it to my needs... It's worked for me & I'd recommend it, but my game is set in 18th-19th Century Paris so that's not so hard. The map itself was already drawn, and I can use 19th & early 20th Century French posters for this and that. Occasionally I'll do something by hand, but even that is usually looking at some reference. Only issue is my game has ballooned in size, I seriously doubt it'll be small enough for an Android or browser game. That's ok for me -- I'd rather make the game I want just for a PC -- but it could be a drawback for your case.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I really wish I had enough money to commission Molly Crabapple or Zoetica Ebb to do the art, but I'm unemployed and they're (presumably) not cheap.
    Man, your idea is really good, especially the tablet to phone one which is frakking awesome, that there must be some artists somewhere that will say "hell yes, I could do the art for that awesome idea!"

Have you tried asking on art forums, or gone to Deviant Art to ask?

Artists can be incredibly hostile when it comes to people asking them for help. It's unreal the animosity they fling at you in Forums and IRC if you don't have every aspect of your project documented and a middle class salary offering.

'Fuck you, Pay me' is a thing for reason, and I totally respect it, which is why I haven't even tried to ask any of my artist friends (or even my artist sister) to contribute. 'I need twenty small pieces, and two large ones, in black and white line art that can be easily converted to SVGs, also they need to be identifiable when scaled to the size of a postage stamp. But at most I can maybe pay you a hundred bucks up front, OR you can take what's in The Box! (what's in the box being, like, 33% of the gross, of which there is likely to not be much).' Not something that goes over well with professional or even semi-professional artists, and not something I could in good conscience try on aspiring ones because of the professionals that I know.

I'm tempted to just use the actual Hans Holbein Danse Macabre engravings for a few of the cards (since the cards from the original game were heavily based on them), but they're really busy visually, and the vectors I get when I convert them have so many nodes that the load time for processing the SVGs would get absurdly long.

Since it's B&W line art, you might could get away with tracing outlines from stock photos in a new layer, so you're just left with the outlines you want.

Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast