TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 104 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Administrator
    I like aspects of what you're trying to achieve. Easy revision control and a format that can easily be edited / searched without tools are admirable goals. Verilog (or VHDL) for design synthesis and simulation are much more manageable for digital logic design than the equivalent schematic particularly as things scale up (a soft-core processor for example would be frighteningly complex).

I guess my problem is seeing how it would work and be as understandable for analogue circuits where layout can be as important for communicating how the circuit is supposed to function as the actual connections themselves. Grounding layouts for switching supplies is an example off the top of my head. It might be because I've been involved in electronics for so long but being able to look at a picture of a schematic is a far quicker way of understanding circuits than mentally decoding netlang to discover the intent.

Sorry for the negativity - and if you can find ways to tackle the problems I'm very interested.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. To some extent, I think that nicely designed syntax can help with understanding in the same way a diagram can, by conveying the logic of what's going on. But yes, scanning a text file will never be as conducive to understanding as seeing a diagram. Someone else (on an electronics forum) pointed out VHDL to me - I had heard of it but only in connection to Verilog. It looks great, but far more professional than what I had in mind ;P.

I'd be really interested to see an example of the kind of circuit you're talking about. (I should mention, to be absolutely clear, I'm only through third year of uni and don't have a ton of experience with electronics. So you should definitely take all my ideas with a brick of salt.) I had a Google for a couple of diagrams, and yes... they're complicated :P. I'd actually love to have a go converting one to netlang to see how it came out - the problem is, I don't have a good enough understanding of how the circuit works to be able to mark it up in a way that would best make use of netlang's syntax. Again, to give a trivial example,

Code:
    V.plus -> V.minus via R1
    is more meaningful than

Code:
    V.plus -> R1.in
    V.minus -> R1.out
    And a larger circuit introduces more decisions of what to route where, etc.

I welcome the negativity! I started the idea on a bit of a whim, but I really need to see if it's practical or even useful. Which means getting feedback from actual electronics people. We should probably take further discussion to PMs, though - I feel like this thread maybe isn't totally appropriate for netlang actually...

2 shots from the currently in development 1.0 version of Dragon's Lair:

All texturing + converting of textures for the final level is done, ability to pickup and use different weapons (axe, fireballs + the standard dagger) complete with current weapon display in.

Final boss, the extra enemies from the PAL version, the new starting level + fixes to joystick support are all that awaits to be done.

Postmortem just reached third internal alpha milestone! Integrated Bullet Physics, an awesome physics library for better collision detection and response – FINALLY, sliding instead of getting stuck on stuff! And finished generating Navigation Graph plus basic AI routines, meaning all the characters now walk and navigate around obstacles.

The hilarious side effect of that is that, being dynamic physics bodies, characters can now be “bumped” and pushed around by the player. Do I sense a Postmortem: Soccer Edition coming soon?
    Last edited by Yakoob; 9th Mar 2013 at 13:19.

Awesome! lol

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I started another project. Yet something else to do while I leave my 50,000 other projects unfinished.

This time, I'm doing something I've been wanting to do for awhile now. For the longest time, I've had the UDK sitting on my drive staring at me, calling to me as I scroll through it's lush showcase maps. Tempting me with it's luscious speedtrees. "You don't have to spend a billion hours making bushes and trees", it coos, "I can do it all for you in 15 minutes. You just have to UUUSSSEEE MEEEEEE".

Then it spreads it's legs, and...and ping pong balls, and...holy crap, it's filthy. It's almost as bad as that time Mr. Duck got drunk with that goat. Almost.

So anyway, I've been watching some tutorials on how to bring stuff into UDK. It's all neat. The thing can handle a metric fuckton of polygons. I don't have to concern myself with anything other than being a tiny bit on the conservative side. It's wonderful. I don't have to spend hours futzing about, trying to get everything just right. I make it, and it goes right in.

At least that's what it did with that cube I brought in. Haven't imported anything super complicated yet.

...yet. That's what I'm working on right now, and what I'm here to show off. What is it?

THIS STUFF:

It started out with gas pumps

And yes, I know the hose and handle are too small. That's on the to-do list.

Then I realized that a set of gas pumps by themselves are kinda stupid. Can't make a semi little mini game out of gas pumps. That'd be stupid.

So I started making this thing.

I want to make a fixed angle overhead exploration type game, mostly inspired by all this Shadowrun talk we've been having these last few days. I don't expect it to ever be a full game, but I want to see if I can get a little guy in there, running around at the click of a button.

If I can get that and the camera angle in, I'll be content. It'll make for a nice little project, and I might learn something in the process. Then it's back to New Dark stuff.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 11th Mar 2013 at 09:35.

That's cool. I like the rustic atmosphere of it. You could do a kind of point & click adventure or something. I like games like that.

Moderator and Priest
    That's kinda what I'm going for. Though really, the only thing I intend on doing is having a character open doors, and throw in a single scene transition. I'm not making a game, just the framework for a basic one to see if I can do it. At the very least, it's a good excuse to make something cool.

And on the braggartly side of things, I've got more texturing done.

Throwaway details are coming up next!

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    The hilarious side effect of that is that, being dynamic physics bodies, characters can now be “bumped” and pushed around by the player. Do I sense a Postmortem: Soccer Edition coming soon?
    Right, so the music can now be designed to play different themes depending on how close the characters are to each other

Moderator and Priest
    Hey, I need your collective expert opinion on something. Do you think this looks at least somewhat like natural ivy growth?

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm not an expert on plant growth, but I don't think ivy grows as narrow as that. If it's natural growth there'd be stragglers here and there, and it'd branch outwards across the wood. Kinda like this house, I'd think.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I should shoot it straight up. Thing is, ivy usually starts at a small point and branches outwards as it grows up. I wanted to do that, but get it to wrap around that corner and grow to the underside of the main roof.

...end result? It does look kinda dumb. I'll redo it.

Moderator and Priest
    One of those rare situations when everything works out better than I could've hoped...

Chakat sex pillow
    Very, very nice.

deffo. Looks great.

Administrator
    Much better - looks far more natural. As a small nitpick - why are there two doors in the structure in the left part of the house?

Excellent stuff. Just noticed from this angle how protrudey those corrugated sheets are getting - I like it.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Much better - looks far more natural. As a small nitpick - why are there two doors in the structure in the left part of the house?
    Because I based the model off this shot...

I liked the ramshackled, slapped together style of it. Since it's supposed to be one of those rural pool hall/gas station/general stores you see out in the middle of nowhere, I figured it was used as an entrance and exit dock for bringing in goods.

And here's my latest shot. Now with more texturing done, and fluffy ivy!

I'm gonna add the ice box out in front soon. The front's a little sparse at the moment, and needs more detail. I'm also gonna throw an old coke machine out along the side of the building. Maybe add some ivy there too.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 17th Mar 2013 at 17:51.

Moderator and Priest
    UPDATE TIME

I've spent all day working on this thing. For some reason, I'm particularly proud of that ice box.

Looks dope. Im still bummed our short collab didnt really lead anywhere :/

Huge milestone with all NTSC version elements now in the game. This shot is from the final boss battle of the game. Now all that awaits is the inclusion of all the extra enemies and elements present in the PAL version (of which there is 5 extra enemies, 4 level intro screens and 1 extra game element) + the new starting level and music tune that I'll need to make for it.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Looks dope. Im still bummed our short collab didnt really lead anywhere :/
    I'm not opposed to the idea of collaborating again. It's just that all this time, I've wanted to make my 3rd person overhead RPG type game. I think the reason why I keep drifting back and forth between projects is because I always end up going back to this one idea, and everything else is a side project.

In fact, what I'm doing now is just a slight tweak of what we were working on before the switch up.

Nice lookin' house Renz. May I ask, what's it for? Or was that already answered earlier in the thread? (My apologies if it has, I haven't been following the thread closely. I just got an email about an update to the thread so decided to come see what was going on.)

Moderator and Priest
    ...you can get email updates for threads? I did not know that.

I'm experimenting with the UDK by making a small scene to play around in. I want to set it up so I have a free floating overhead 3rd person camera, and simple environment interaction, like clicking to open doors, or get environment descriptions in a pop up.

It's all just an overly elaborate way for me to learn the basics of programming and scripting. I figured I might as well have fun with it though, and decided to at least make it nice looking.

oops. Posted this in the wrong thread. Ignore me.
    Last edited by Volitions Advocate; 24th Mar 2013 at 20:23.

Page 24 of 104 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast