TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 118 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661667176 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Moderator and Priest
    Dragon's Castle, huh? :P

Get this thing out. I'll play it.

I want to make a game with C++ and OpenGL. But I have a couple of ideas and I can't decide which to pursue, and I know that if it's not an idea I'm REALLY excited about I'll probably get bored and give up. I really envy those of you who can come up with an idea and see it through to completion.

I prefer SDL personally as there is ALOT more tutorials/guides out there for it plus there is a fair bit more in the way of addon libraries that work out of the box (eg for image displaying, custom font use etc).

First 3 indie games I did (Bipolar, Space Invaders & Fishing Time) were all in OpenGL. Had soooooo many headache inducing times trying to get addon libraries working. Grrr. Soon as I switched to SDL the majority all went away. The rest after alittle research I managed to get working at the beginning of my work on Dragon's Castle.

Either way, which ever you decide to go with, plan ahead and try and get all the tools & libraries you need up and running before you start, or get them all working as close to the start of work on your project as possible.

Ensuring that the game works on other peoples PC's without the need for installing the VC redistributes is another thing I would HIGHLY recommend investing some time into. Save you a thousand headaches later.
    Last edited by icemann; 29th May 2013 at 03:20.

I looked at SDL but ended up going with SFML instead as it seemed much more modern and simple.

That being said, unless you want to code for coding sake, I'd advise you look at existing engines like unity or Udk. You'll be able to get things running much faster (going back to the motivation and sticking to one idea) and it will probably look And run better than your own code. Not to mention out-of-the-box cross platform support and many other similar perks.

In an old school kind of way I like coding for the sake of coding / learning things the hard way.

Oi same with me I just love coding... but sometimes I wish I went with Unity instead as far as productivity goes, especially now that I'm moving a bit from coding to design/team-management/marketing/etc. phase of my game.

Nothing wrong with that in the slightest. In addition, Unity has a fair bit of tutorials out there for various game types which with a bit of modification can be changed to suit your liking.

For me though I just love learning how to do various things. Though more on the 2D end of the scale.

So my exploratory narrative game, Postmortem, casting you as Death incarnate in an industrial-age country torn by conflict and riots, moves onto Beta with a release date - August 15th! Here's the full dev blog update for the curious with some new screenie and concept art

We're also still looking out for one extra writer/editor and potentially graphic artist (in-game sprites, maybe GUI) so if you're interested shoot me an email at info@postmortemgame.com . We'll also be starting a second round of Beta Testing signups soon so keep an eye out!

Please check the Postmortem Homepage
    Like on Facebook
    Follow on Twitter

What is Postmortem?

Postmortem is a short exploratory adventure game taking place in a fictional industrial-age country of Galicia, ravaged by five years of violent rioting between two ideologically and economically divided communities. You play as death incarnate, sent to a fundraising gala with the objective of claiming a single life from any of its attendants and staff.

By exploring the space, conversing with the patrons, and uncovering various clues, you will learn about the world and the characters, revealing how their deaths might (or might not!) influence the country.

But how much should you meddle with mortal affairs? Perhaps a random choice is the fairest? What other effects could your involvement have?

Taking the Death Toll
    Looking better every time you show it off. I'll keep an eye on it, Kooby, and I promise I won't cheat my way through it

BANNED
    Nice Yakoob, very nice.

Me?

I'm making some web apps for Android using JQuery Mobile and Phonegap. The latest thing I'm finishing up is a guideline application for checking anaesthetic machines. Yawn, I know. But there is something a little... odd with the license. I'm basically taking a free pdf publication and turning it into a little app that is easier to navigate on a smartphone/tablet than reading a pdf. Its not my work but its published under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 which, if you read the actual text, says:
    You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
    to Remix — to adapt the work
    to make commercial use of the work
    and yet on the actual publication it states - "Reuse of this article is permitted in accordance with the Creative Commons Deed, Attribution 2.5, which does not permit commercial exploitation."

I'm not doing this to make a quick buck - the app(s) will be free - but the incongruity of the bold text (emphasis mine) bothers me. I don't want the publishers to get all shirty at a later date.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
    Last edited by SubJeff; 3rd Jun 2013 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Looking better every time you show it off. I'll keep an eye on it, Kooby, and I promise I won't cheat my way through it
    BUAHAHAHA You made me literally burst out laughing; that just made my evening. Well done deth, well done! And thanks for the positive encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I'm not doing this to make a quick buck - the app(s) will be free - but the incongruity of the bold text (emphasis mine) bothers me. I don't want the publishers to get all shirty at a later date.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
    If it's CCA2.5, then the source text says what it is, and mistake of law isn't an excuse. But it'd be against what's obviously the expectation of the authors, so it could ruffle their feathers and could be more trouble than it's worth even if it's technically ok. I mean, I think the issue is more on the informal end than the law itself, if what you said about the CC2.5 is right. (It makes you wonder if that sentence isn't referring to something else than that sentence you quoted, though... That's why you read the FAQs or discussions on licenses in addition to the text itself to make sure you don't miss something.)

If you really want to be on the safe side, you could shoot them an email and tell them that according to their own license it's open for commercialization and that you have intentions in that direction, in spite of their bold sentence... And ask them to either reconcile it or acknowledge that the license they picked says what it says... Of course the risk there is that it just raises a red flag against you too.

We had some of the same issues with Dark Mod and are going out of our way to be extra risk adverse to avoid IP issues.

Yup. Write a nice note and ask them to clarify.

Agreed, best to just contact and get permission "on paper" for worst case scenario.

BANNED
    I contacted them and they said they'd get back to me later this week. That was yesterday and today is over here (its 8.30pmish). How long does it take to clarify this stuff?

Progress update:

Dragon's Castle speeds toward completion after a good weeks worth of solid work on it. Barely been playing game's at all lately as I want to get it done.

The following big tasks have been taken care of:

* Game completion + credits sequence
    * Improvements to moving platforms to make them less easy to miss. Which should = far less frustrations.
    * Big improvements to joystick/gamepad support. It's still not "perfect" as every joystick has a different dead zone which causes a fair bit of the constant moving of the selected option on the game menu's as well as making the player constantly move when analog is switched on. I couldn't find a magic number that fixed all of it but I've now setup a dead zone setting in options that the user can set themselves which should help.
    * Joysticks set to off by default, unless already switched on in the options. Takes care of a fair bit of annoying little side effects for if a joystick is plugged in, analog switched on but playing via the keyboard.

What's left:

* Enabling user levels + putting in some sort of level selector for that
    * Make a proper main menu graphic of some sort. Probably do something similar to the NES game.
    * Check to ensure that the difficulty curve throughout the game is fair.

And that's about it.

Double post:

Well it's a day of celebration as this post marks the release of the final version of "Dragon's Castle".

This comes complete with the level editor to make levels as you see fit. Not much in the way of documentation for it but as the game is tile based most things should be relatively easy to work out.

Any bugs/problems/issues, either send me a PM or an email at:
    hockland@hotmail.com

Download Link:
    Link

Be kinda weird not working on this anymore after working on it for 2 years.

BANNED
    With regards to my app - I've been told an "official" app is in the works so they are "concerned" about different versions confusing people.

I've come across this before. I was going to build something with CC free info because and Android version is not available. I was told "its coming" so I stopped development. That was over 2 years ago and there is nothing so I've just emailed them saying words to the effect of "I might as well make it then, yeah?".

Just a quick update on a new article - Meet the Team: Gelerli, and new Concept Art!

Go read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    With regards to my app - I've been told an "official" app is in the works so they are "concerned" about different versions confusing people.

I've come across this before. I was going to build something with CC free info because and Android version is not available. I was told "its coming" so I stopped development. That was over 2 years ago and there is nothing so I've just emailed them saying words to the effect of "I might as well make it then, yeah?".
    The be honest, one of the whole points of CC & GPL & copyleft and all of that is exactly to cover the situation when the core devs of an app go absent or derelict and other parties can take up the project without waiting for permission or the core devs doing their jobs which may never come.

Well downloads on Dragon's Castle are around the best I've had for any of the earlier version releases or other games I've released. All up around 112 downloads.

Or for a downloads total for all versions put together: 356

So I'm quite happy with it overall and of the responses received. Surprised no`one's found the in joke to a certain other game I released a few years ago. All I'll say is that it's in one of the early levels.

Oh and speaking of earlier games I couldn't stand sitting around not coding so started on my SDL port of Fishing Time. Assuming all ports over easily shouldn't take very long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    In an old school kind of way I like coding for the sake of coding / learning things the hard way.
    This.

Pretty much all my own little projects and such go in the "tinkering" category. Just doing some stuff that interests at the moment - but still trying to ensure that what i do is in a state to be usable later on.

Case in point, the end result of this day:
    Code:
        void test() {
            byte arr[1024], *at = arr;

int3(at);

add(at, AL , 0x5    );
            add(at, RAX, 0x777  ); // if the immediate is in -128..127 range then perhaps i should use the machine code for non AX/EAX/RAX case? ... don't care atm.
            add(at, BL , 0x9    );
            add(at, SIL, 0x6    );
            add(at, R8 , 0x7F   );
            add(at, R9 , 0x12345);

add(at, EBX, ECX);
            add(at, RAX, RBP);   // RBP is one of the special flags and can only be used through ... black magic!
            add(at, RAX, RBX);
            add(at, AL , BL );
            add(at, BH , AL );   // limited instruction: BH exists only without REX => cannot use any extended registers. bah, can not think of any situation i would ever want to actually use the *H registers anyway.

add(at, RAX, RBX, 0x1000, RDI, 8);
            add(at, AL , RBX, 0x1000, RDI, 8);

add(at, RBX, 0, na , 0, RAX);
            add(at, RBX, 0, RDI, 4, AL);

add(at, RBX, 0x12   , na,  0, 0xFF   , fB);
            add(at, RBX, 0      , RSI, 2, 0x16   , fQ);
            add(at, R10, 0x12345, RDI, 8, 0x67890, fQ);
            add(at, na , 0x20   , RDI, 2, 0xFF   , fW);

((void(*)())&arr[0])();
        }
    Code:
    000000000012F941  add         al,5
    000000000012F943  add         rax,777h
    000000000012F949  add         bl,9
    000000000012F94C  add         sil,6
    000000000012F950  add         r8,7Fh
    000000000012F954  add         r9,12345h
    000000000012F95B  add         ebx,ecx
    000000000012F95D  add         rax,rbp
    000000000012F960  add         rax,rbx
    000000000012F963  add         al,bl
    000000000012F965  add         bh,al
    000000000012F967  add         rax,qword ptr [rbx+rdi*8+1000h]
    000000000012F96F  add         al,byte ptr [rbx+rdi*8+1000h]
    000000000012F976  add         qword ptr [rbx],rax
    000000000012F979  add         byte ptr [rbx+rdi*4],al
    000000000012F97C  add         byte ptr [rbx+12h],0FFh
    000000000012F980  add         qword ptr [rbx+rsi*2],16h
    000000000012F985  add         qword ptr [r10+rdi*8+12345h],67890h
    000000000012F991  add         word ptr [rdi*2+20h],0FFh

So, what the hell is this crap?

Well, my old homebrew scripting thing (*) is ... old. Very old actually. It is fairly crap to be honest - its only good traits are:
    * superb hot-swap capabilities (add/delete/modify functions/globals at runtime).
    * impossible to break - ex: calling a function that does not exist is fine and does not break the program flow. If it compiles then it will work - if it does not then it still "works" (the parts that failed to re/compile will just cease to exist).
    ... and that is about it.

So, thinking of making a new scripting language (**) and though about emitting actual machine code - i mean, how hard can it be? Right? ... :/ ... Ok, perhaps i should investigate that ...

I used to code quite a bit in assembler ~15 years ago and vaguely am still competent on the intel/amd land, but i have never done anything directly in machine code. And, oh boy, the long history of the machine code shows - holy shit, it's fucking atrocious! Still, at the end of the day i managed to get several easy instructions implemented ... and the worst family, which ADD is part of, is now in working order too. Given that all of this took just one day i would say machine code itself is totally doable ... in a week (less if i actually have time to do it).

Oh, and high-five to other tinkerers

---------------------
    *) Generic recursive descent parser (one function operating on language syntax description directly) for LL1 context free grammar. Stack based virtual machine. No real optimizations. Dynamic types. Annoying binding system.
    **) Parsing will be pretty similar (recursive descent parser, LL1 context free grammar). Internally similar to c/c++ for sweet binding. Register based - hopefully in machine code and not virtual machine. Static types. + lots of cool stuff while still supporting hot-swap.

edit: oh, btw, found to my delight that i do not have to make 2 assemblers for x86 and x64, which i initially feared - the default machine state for them makes the same machine code do the sensible thing for both (obviously, limited to the registers that actually exist on the target).

Just a heads up we're reaching our next milestone soon, with more New Art, Major Rewrites, and Beta Testing opening up next week, if you guys want to get more details and see some new artwork!

Who is this mysterious cast of characters?

Yakoob, just something i noticed a moment ago - there is no link back from dev-blog to postmortem homepage (just some sparse in-text links here and there). Unless i am blind, i suggest you add a prominent one (would have been a great help to my derpy brain a few moments ago ).

I was wondering how many souls you have on board - i assume the info at http://postmortemgame.com/ is up to date?

7, sure helps to explain the sweet steady progress . Remind me again, when did the project start?

Big milestone reached with new Official Trailer and Closed Beta Signups! Hurry Up and Register! Don't miss your chance to Preview the game and Influence it's development!

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Yakoob, just something i noticed a moment ago - there is no link back from dev-blog to postmortem homepage (just some sparse in-text links here and there). Unless i am blind, i suggest you add a prominent one (would have been a great help to my derpy brain a few moments ago ).

I was wondering how many souls you have on board - i assume the info at http://postmortemgame.com/ is up to date?

7, sure helps to explain the sweet steady progress . Remind me again, when did the project start?
    I always try to link from the posts, but good, point, should add that. And you mean in-game characters? Yup, 7 is where we're at right now. And the project started, well, ever since my masters degree in ethnic conflict in North ireland, some 2-3 years back, an excerpt from my PressKit:

After college, I spent a year pursuing my masters in North Ireland, studying about ethnic and ideological conflicts such as the Troubles, Rwanda, Palestine and Isreal or the Bosnia-Herzegovina genocide. While it had nothing to do with game development, it really influenced me personally and inspired many themes and motifs I wanted to explore via games. That is when I first started writing design docs and coding what would eventually evolve into Postmortem. The idea of playing as Death came a year later, after I read Death with Interruptions by Jose Saramago. All this further fueled by the advent of narrative / experimental games such as Stanley's Parable or Dear Esther.
    I actually have a more detailed "creative origins of postmortem" devblog post written up but... that's coming later

Page 26 of 118 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661667176 ... LastLast