TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 27 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2712172223242526272829303132374247525762677277 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Just started a project that I think I might actually make some progress on. I've been meaning to post here about it, since it was kind of inspired by discussions on here, as well, of course, as my own views on the matter. Playing DHXR, I got unreasonably angry at the way the Icarus landing system jumped to third-person and wouldn't let me rotate while I was using it. What I'd give to just float down in first-person, able to assess the situation as I descended, and maybe even have a little bit of air control.

But no, the developer gurus had decided that was less cool. So I basically wondered, could I build an FPS that demonstrates game mechanics from games that people feel have been dumbed-down or consolised. Part of the challenge will be to integrate these mechanics with gamepad controls as well as mouse/keyboard.

So basically, since I can't be bothered adding a story or stuff like that, and because I love gameplay programming and have little to no artistic ability, I decided to go the full experimental route. At the moment, my plan is to basically make an FPS gameplay sandbox, where you can include (or not) a bunch of different FPS mechanics from different games, but implemented in a way that people here would find palatable .

For example, I'll be including a landing system that doesn't drag you into third-person. Melee takedowns likewise. The point of all this is to see how fun these things can be, as well as proving they can work on a controller. I know stuff like the rope arrows in Thief 4 have been explained away in terms of allowing the player freedom enough to break level optimisations, but let's just ignore that for now :P. But pretty much everything will be configurable - down to the amount of health you and enemies have, jump strength (and whether you can jump everywhere), whether health regenerates, etc. Beyond showcasing FPS gameplay, I want people to be able to experiment with it, take inspiration from it, etc. Maybe even distribute challenging config settings.

It'll probably look a little bit like this:

But with more actual things in the level. This is just my first test level, using some stock content from Torque 3D with all the materials removed and an edge-rendering shader. The idea is to provide three levels to start with - linear corridor crawl, nonlinear corridor crawl, and nonlinear building-infiltration sort of deal.

If it has a bit of a Receiver-ish vibe at the moment... that was unintended but entirely welcomed. I really enjoyed Receiver... for about thirty seconds. It's a great model of what I want to do, though I'll be focusing on more common game mechanics. Though at some point I'd love to stick in an optional super-detailed gun system like theirs...

I'm thinking I'll start a blog for this thing if I actually manage to get it off the ground. And I will of course be soliciting a lot of opinions here .

Ooh I dig the art style, looks neat

USGamer.net writer Cassandra Khaw’s shares her positive early impression of our Beta !

"There have been plenty of discussions about how video games can function as a medium for important messages and Postmortem is a prime example of that."
    And from her Twitter:

What I really, really liked about Postmortem, though, I think, was how it dealt with burgeoning feminism in the country. It's surprisingly vivid, and almost a bit unsettling as to how it was presented.
    Full Article: Postmortem: Death, Dessert and Political Agendas

Nice! Congrats!

Bet you a tenner that when it goes on general release your forums'll fill with people saying "SO I KILLED TEH FIRST PERSON I MET, WUT DO I DO NAO?"

Or possibly "WHY CANT I KILL EVERYBODY", or even "I KILLED OPHELIA BUT GOT NO EXP WTF -LVL CAPPED ALRDY!?!?"

verbose douchebag
    Default response of course being: "try killing yourself".

Administrator
    Congrats, Yakoob - it's great to see it getting the attention!

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Nice! Congrats!

Bet you a tenner that when it goes on general release your forums'll fill with people saying "SO I KILLED TEH FIRST PERSON I MET, WUT DO I DO NAO?"

Or possibly "WHY CANT I KILL EVERYBODY", or even "I KILLED OPHELIA BUT GOT NO EXP WTF -LVL CAPPED ALRDY!?!?"

Haha I was considering making a joke trailer talking about "fast paced action, "20 different weapons", "frantic multiplayer death match" and of course achievements

Al_B, I remember you having some good (and appropriately
    Harsh!) criticism first time around so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts again with recent changes. Mind you, your main gripe how you can just "kill the first person you see" is still (deliberately) in . but there is a bit more to that now as well... Don't want to spoil much

Fishing Time SDL version progress report (image heavy post warning):

Well I've converted over the core of the my earlier openGL version of my remake of the Atari 2600 game. It's all up and run perfectly. Though I've not setup gamepad controls yet, but as it's using much of the base rendering and control input code from Dragon's Castle it should be a cinch to setup.

Now I could have ended it there and released this as is, but the first time around doing this project I had had some ideas running around about extra stages, so I thought meh why not, I did that on Dragon's Castle and it worked out pretty well so I've spent the last week doing mockup images of some of the extra stages, trialing different looks for each.

Here are the mockups for the 1st new stage entitled "Jumping Fish Mayhem":

So only 2 mockups for that one. In this stage, fishing jump out of the water and the players attempt to catch them.

2nd lot of mockups come from the 2nd new stage entitled "Waterfall Madness":

The 2nd last mockup is the likely look that that stage will take. I just have 1 more extra stage to workout the look for and the rest of the work on the project can begin.

Hey, I'm bumping this with a question to the audience. Since I moved to my new home, I got an Android smart phone. Since Android stuff has a reputation for being more open than Apple devices, and since I've been exploring the apps for it, I was curious about developing a little project for my phone, or at least looking up what would go into such a project.

Does anyone have any information about how to go about this, like recommended tools and tutorials and such? I've worked a little with Unity before; is the pipeline to get a game from Unity into an Android device not too bad? I was actually thinking about something more boardgame like though, and wonder what other development tools might work. Any experience with this out there?

Still Subjective
    I tinker with Android development a little bit.

I use HTML 5, CSS and JavaScript with jQuery Mobile to make apps (recently released Resus Algorithms for Android, doing some other medical guideline thing at the moment) and PhoneGap to wrap it so my stuff is all cross platform (iOS, Android, BB, Windows).

However, I have used the Android Dev Toolkit and Eclipse to make some test native stuff. It's, errr, a little bit hard to get one's head around but that's just me being dumb. It's not too different to creating a set of web pages actually.

I don't know how well it works with Unity but I expect it to be very well since there are plenty of Unity games on Android. I'd go with that for a game actually. Unity is great, shame I don't have time for it atm.

I haven't messed with Unity much, but as I understand it Android is now part of the free development package, so getting something up and running (though not necessarily running WELL) should be as simple as 'Build Project for Android.'

As far as tutorials and stuff: I read maybe half of Android Apps for Absolute Beginners in order to give myself a general idea of how project set-up in Eclipse and the basic APIs work and then went from there using Google's Developer Tutorials and searching through (and occasionally asking questions on) StackOverflow.

Google is also releasing their own IDE for Android called, appropriately enough, 'Android Studio,' which you can grab a pre-release version of here. I haven't touched it yet myself because I don't want to have to go the trouble of migrating my existing projects to it, but a lot of its features are pretty slick and look like they might be easier for a beginner to wrap their heads around.

Thanks Faf. There's just something satisfying about the idea of a project that I carry in my pocket.

I've been using libgdx for a while now and can recommend it if you're looking for a beginner-friendly game dev framework. I like that it's cross platform, so I don't need to fire up a (slow) emulator or the real device when I just want to test some stuff. It's mainly for 2D games, though. If you intend to go 3D, Unity is probably the better choice.

After a day of messing around and learning, I made a basic side-scroller in Unity. Quite liking the engine, tho I'm worried how it scales to some of the massive projects/games I've seen done with it, in terms of workflow/asset pipeline/code etc.

I was working on a 2D puzzler for a good while in Unity and later on a pharmaceutical simulation in it. It's an interesting engine to work with, though it doesn't always work as you would expect at times.

For example with the puzzler for days I was trying to setup a simple sound and music on/off image toggles which if I was doing that in C++ would be a piece of cake, but in Unity for some odd reason it would never remember the damn choice made as far as the images went. Tried using global variables and everything, nope never worked so gave up eventually.

In comparison with the simulation one everything I did worked perfectly fine. I had to setup several computer interfaces, setup a hand wash sequence (we had a modeller/animator who supplied a hands model + the animations), and setting up a sequence of a doctor walking up and handing you a prescription sheet (so calling the model to walk to a specific point on screen, then doing the next bit in its animation). All worked easy fine, after putting in enough time into it compared to the puzzler. Very odd.

Really need to finish coding off that puzzler game at some point. Was a group project, with the problem being of the other team members barely ever doing any work majority of the time and then the project stalling.

Been working on a procedurally generated, cross-platform rogue-lite with a 16-bit feel. So much so, I haven't been posting here much.

Dungeon generation and lighting engine is pretty much done. Most of the sprites I bought in because I don't have eternity

Now have enemy placement, gameplay, loot, balancing and UI to concentrate on. Has lots of animation too, but you can't tell from the screenshot.

you can take my money when it is finished good sir!

Oooh that looks very nice Ulukai! More screenies/vids please

Agreed that looks very nice.

What happened to that other nice looking game I used to see screenies of in this thread all the time years ago? *Checks thread*. The one by Eldron. That game looked awesome.

And on my end just chipping away at my UGC series "Old Habits Die Hard Part 2: Ghost in the Machine" for Shadowrun Returns. Bit by bit getting it done. Then be onto part 3 then back to actual coding of games again.
    Last edited by icemann; 24th Oct 2013 at 00:00.

Taking the Death Toll
    I'm liking the look of that.

And I think Eldron got picked up by Mojang or something?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    you can take my money when it is finished good sir!
    Seconded. I will pay many moneys for this when it comes out.

Not much left-over time between mojang and taking care of a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I keep trying to like Blender, but I just cannot stand its interface. Everything about it feels so counter-intuitive (especially the modifier stack). Probably my own fault due to teaching myself Lightwave before any other 3D program. That BSurfaces demo is incredibly slick, though.
    Six months later and I'm taking this back. Since I keep hitting various road blocks with Plague & Pestilence (mostly art issues, but Google Play Games Services also ended up being less good than I had hoped) I decided to mess around with Source Filmmaker to do a thing, only to discover that there are some items that I need that apparently don't exist, so learning Blender in order to make them became a necessity. This tutorial turned me around pretty good. I didn't know you could drag out multiple panes, so I was able to do the three pane set-up that I used with Lightwave, and then the texture baking is super neat too.

Near final result for first item:

I think I might tweak the texture some more, but given that it's just a badge I probably don't need to.

[edit]Now with corrected spelling.
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 26th Oct 2013 at 21:33.

Lately I've been working on a game called Delver, hugely inspired by the Ultima Underworld games. I'm basically answering the question 'What if someone made a roguelike using the Ultima Underworld engine?'.

Taking the Death Toll

I NEED THIS I NEED IT RIGHT NOW I NEED IT IN MY PANTS NNNNNNNNN FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *THUMP THUMP* GLAWAFLAFOASDFPAPDFAOFPADKFL

I AM THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING WHAT DO

NEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Page 27 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2712172223242526272829303132374247525762677277 ... LastLast