TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 105 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

I could post updates on my Shadowrun Returns UGC since I release new content for that every 1-2 weeks but I assume that not many people want to be reading about it that often.

However if there is any interest here about the UGC, then I'd be happy to post updates on progress.

Would be nice if some TTLG-ers with System Shock experience could have a go at it at some point so I could get some feedback from fans of the series (System Shock).

ice, I'd love to test but dont have shadowrun unfortunately :/ as for updates, I kinda enjoy seeing what other people are up to. heck, I said im not into roguelikes but still like reading Ulukai's posts and vids as a game dev!

I think I established a new core mechanic in my game: being a dick

DevBlog #4: Newspapers, GUI and Being a Dick

This week I finished furnishing a new area with items, implemented a GUI system, and done a bit of creative writing!
    Clicky to read more and see new screenshots!

Still Subjective
    Looking good Yaks!

This after Postmortem? You're really setting yourself up for a good indie dev rep here.

Thanks Nu and for the comment. And of course I'll probably be coming here first when alpha testing time comes around again!

koobs there is another game on special on steam atm called Post Mortem
    Yeh new game looks intriguing, lovin the art style.

Awww, thanks guys. I know everyone says it, but it's genuinely very encouraging to hear that, especially regarding the art style I am still very uncertain of. I just modelled this:

and think it looks absolutely horrendous. But I think it might be the texturing/lighting/shaders moreso than the style/modeling. I think I'm hitting the awkward zone between simplistic-blocky-cartoony (like 30 flights/jazzpunk) and detailed-gloomy-paintery, so it comes off like some environmental uncanny valley. Kinda like having those uber hi-res realistic textures on the blocky Thief 1/Deus Ex/SS2/Etc. models that look weird to me.

(that being said, i do like how my bedrooms, characters, chairs/tables are turning out, needed polish aside)

Any feedback at this point appreciated
    Last edited by Yakoob; 20th Feb 2014 at 19:23.

If it were me, I would take that scene and start warping things slightly, to give it a slightly crazed Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle look.

verbose douchebag
    If it were me, I'd crack open that bottle of wine and start running a bath.

Well beyond individual assets, it needs an overall art direction, so there's a consistent style throughout that clicks. And I think the way you're supposed to do that is taking concept art seriously & spending time on it... I mean drawing ideal scenes on paper with an eye towards a consistent art direction & continuously tweaking it until you reach a style that works on paper. I mean think consciously about it... Do you want it more realistic or more stylized, more muted or more exaggerated, do you have a reference (image search different artists), concept it, make a plan, & stick to it...

I think the unique & interesting look of the AI gives you a good starting point.

Yakoob: In regards to the quality of your art assets, it all depends on the price your intending to go with at the end of development. For $1-5.00 what you have is fine if the gameplay is good.

I understand the difficulty but I would like to see some more open outdoor areas, do you have plans for that? Like city streets with skyline backdrops and the like.

Still Subjective
    I like the art. It's a bit avant garde retro. But nicked is right, a bit of warping could be interesting. Maybe a bit Gaudi-esk?

I like the boxy look, but the edges look a bit jagged (idk if you can actually do anything about it but it's just my opinion). I think the brightness of the mirror texture in that last pic is off though, and it looks more like a shiny plate. Maybe darken it and add a white stripe to indicate reflection? I do like the boxy look though. And maybe it's my opinion but the AI looks like Jeeves :P

Retro looks in games is all the rage at the moment don't forget . If you look at the majority of kickstarter projects gaining attention at present, the vast majority are in ultra retro styles.

Well, of course they are. They don't have the resources to go modern.

Thanks for all the feedbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    If it were me, I would take that scene and start warping things slightly, to give it a slightly crazed Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle look.
    Oooh I do like that Idea, but it wouldn't fit what I am going for here I don't think. Maybe different title? (I do want to do a pure comedic one at some point)

@gkkiller - oh yea the mirror is blue with a white sheen but for some reason got overblown to all hell. I dont know wtf. Unity happened
    And jagged edges are just aliasing; all development screenshots so no bells and whistles (not even lightmaps).

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Well beyond individual assets, it needs an overall art direction
    Oh absolutely, and I do have whole folders of reference pictures. However, I haven't quite figured out how to translate it to my game world - hence why each screenie seems different, as I'm experimenting with styles.

Part of the reason behind the blocky design, as Pyrian points out, is I am trying to keep it feasible given my skills / resources. I hope to hire artists down the line, but want to cut down on some of the work I can do myself (basic models), have something "nice" to show to garner interest before, have "backup" placeholders in case time/money runs short, and also communicate the art direction better. You can see how that worked with Postmortem, compare:

First Alpha (all my art):

Final Release (new art):

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I understand the difficulty but I would like to see some more open outdoor areas, do you have plans for that? Like city streets with skyline backdrops and the like.
    Not in this title, BUT my "dream game" takes place in a free form exlorable city. So definitely something I will do eventually, hopefully more quickly reusing the assets/code/engine from this one Here's an old prototype in my own Engine (which fun fact, was baseline for Postmortem).

----

In any case I just modelled out a kitchen area and tried something new:

The black outlines kinda give it an interesting look, tho I'm not sure if it's not too cartoony (less 30 flights more jazzpunky). I actually discovered it by accidentally leaving the UV map overlay on one texture once hehe
    Last edited by Yakoob; 22nd Feb 2014 at 01:38.

Ooh black outlines. Me gusta.

That second one looks the shiznit.

Still Subjective
    Black outlines are really cool.

This has been done before though, no?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

People making games in Unity, yeh I am pretty sure thats been done.

Thanks guys Nu - there actually is a toon shader that comes stock with Unity... but I don't like it. Too bright/cartoony and it only does border for outer edges. What you see above is basically leaving the UV map outlines, meaning you get them on all crevices.

Playing around with lighting, I'm kinda digging the blocky design + realistic lighting:

I think it gives it an interesting feel... a bit like taking photos of a lego set or something.

EDIT: two more of my light-mucking arounds

Last edited by Yakoob; 23rd Feb 2014 at 05:21.

Well I just made my weekly devblog post tho most of the stuff mentioned you've already seen here. But some of you may be wondering where exactly does the game take place based on the screenshots. A rich mansion perhaps, or a charity gala of some sort? Well, let me just leave you with this:

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like all the clutter on the kitchensink and the lighting in the dining room, but overall it still feels a bit cheap. It's a lot of little things, like the grain on the woodmaterial on the doorframes running horizontally instead of vertically up the sides, and the faces looking like something that's been drawn in MS Paint, and the low res textures. Since the 3d models are already very simple you shouldn't skimp on the quality or the resolution of the textures. Some antialiasing and subtle depth of field would help as well. And also try some other color lighting than just the standard white. Some warm yellow/orange might work well in the dining room or bathroom.

Don't settle for what you have now. Keep working at it because there's a lot of potential here!
    Last edited by henke; 26th Feb 2014 at 05:18.

Potential, yes. Listen to Henke, you will.

End of game is airship exploding in a rain of fire.

Page 32 of 105 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782 ... LastLast