TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 381318232829303132333435363738434853586368737883 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Yakoob: What's the aim of the game?

Ya henke thanks for not bsing around and pointing the small things (like the direction of wood grain), very useful to hear! Keep it coming (and dear god do sign up for the alpha testing when time comes around hehe)

But no, I am not settling at all, this is NOT the final look of the game, just a first pass. Like I said, majority of the texturing/lighting is just placeholders that will be improved upon. But I need to get everything in in its most basic form before I can iterate over it, hopefully with the help of people who are more talented than me .

And ice, here's a bit more details about what im hoping to achieve.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 26th Feb 2014 at 23:16.

Sigh.

I guess this goes here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz

...yeah. I'm LP-ing a game. Even (slowly) working on a sort of channel brand (not really there yet except the series name). I may lose any respect I have left.
    The thing with all this is it's usually either the player or the game people watch these things for and I'm not really sure there's much to recommend either. I think I'm getting better though.
    I'm going to do a big sort of analysis or discussion of the pol-sci-fi aspects in the end and I basically had to get all this footage anyway to get the source material, so why the hell not I thought.

Al_B: Discussion about Invisible War moved here

Although I accidentally installed Civilization V which proved to be a disaster for productivity, I've been working on fixes, content and I've added a small section on gameplay to the development blog.

Here's the blue dungeon tileset. Blue dungeon is blue.

Well, tis been a productive week...

DevBlog #6: NPCs, Dialogue, and Real Life Influences

I spent the past week translating the imaginary character outines from my design docs into tangible NPCs you can interact with in my game. Say hello to the gang!

Clicky to read the rest
    Last edited by Yakoob; 3rd Mar 2014 at 21:34.

Oh neat, I just realized that if you go inside the locker and close it behind you, you can actually hide from guards. Hello new gameplay mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Oh neat, I just realized that if you go inside the locker and close it behind you, you can actually hide from guards. Hello new gameplay mechanic

This has been around in games a lot recently. Thief, Hitman: Absolution, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist (you hide bodies though, not yourself) are the ones I remember. Maybe you shouldn't advertise it and just leave it as a cool technique for players to discover?

Also, I really love the edges on the locker slits or whatever they're called. It looks shiny and stylised and pretty awesome

Taking the Death Toll
    Hell, Metal Gear Solid 2 had it.

Oh yea for sure, I'm not claiming this hasn't been done (to death) before. I guess I was just excited how I came about it - there is no special camouflage object, there is no "press E to hide." I just made a simple locker, then when testing decided to go inside, closed the door behind me and suddenly realized "ooh..." A bit of emergent design

Still Subjective
    That's a great discovery. Is it the door that occludes their vision or something?

This is looking fab.

Nice work Koob. I'm digging everything so far.

Thanks for the compliments guys and nicked, that's cool. I want to fastforward like 10mins in when the whole stage is just rife with tons of overgrowing vegetation Is it mostly background or are you basing gameplay around it somehow? Looks like it could have some interesting potential there.

EDIT: Playing around with new level and stealth mechanics, figure I'd have some fun and pay a little inspirational homage

Last edited by Yakoob; 10th Mar 2014 at 03:34.

Thanks for the compliments guys and nicked, that's cool. I want to fastforward like 10mins in when the whole stage is just rife with tons of overgrowing vegetation Is it mostly background or are you basing gameplay around it somehow? Looks like it could have some interesting potential there.
    If one of the seeds hits the player, it grows out of your head and kills you, so it's an obstacle to be avoided. There's also a few limits in place to stop it getting out of hand.

Love the robot! Makes it look like one of Sliptip's futuristic Thief missions.

For anyone interested in more of my behind-the-scenes yammering

Karaski DevBlog #7: Stealth, New Level, and slightly-less-dumb AI!

I’m am halfway done with a whole new level relying on stealthy infiltration, now featuring slightly less dumb AI!
    Full text

Just wanted to say I enjoy your dev diaries, Yakoob, and I'd love to play your game when it's done :) I also volunteer as a playtester!

Regarding the verticality problem ... make it more risky. Too many games fall into the trap of making verticality risky by putting guards up high. Instead, make the guards shoot at you ... and make the guns massively OP. :P

I originally typed up a long post, but then accidentally closed the tab in my browser. Grrr. Anyways.

Progress report on my Shadowrun Returns UGC "Old Habits Die Hard":

After a long week of work, I've completed my latest chunk of work. What work was that? Well it was the full integration of Episode 1 "The Escape" into the episode 2 alpha UGC I've been working on to allow for a greater gameplay experience + add in some improvements and user feedback now that my skills in the editor have improved greatly. The main reasoning behind doing all this work was since some of my planned story stuff in episode 2 was dependent on things I'd thought up after episode 1`s release and hadn't added in yet.

On the fan feedback end was that the matrix bits in episode 1 were full of long boring hallways with nothing to do. These have been switched over to rooms with teleporters to other rooms with more detail etc.

On the improvements end of the scale I added in many of the planned additions I'd been meaning to add in for a while, such as a new intro tying the UGC into the end events of System Shock 2 and into Shadowrun, a episode selection screen and many other improvements behind the scenes.

All in all it all turned out pretty damn well, and ended up much like how I'd been envisioning. So quite happy with it. With that completed, work now returns to work on the 2nd half of the planned content for episode 2 starting with a quest investigating the "Children of Citadel" cult and then onto the rest.

The wealth of new enemies, npc models, tile graphics and music that came with the recently released Dragonfall expansion for the main game has given me lots of new options which is great.

Unlike working on SS2 FMs back in the day, work on Shadowrun UGC is VERY time consuming with work not just going into the editor side of things but also on thinking/typing up planned story stuff (narrative, main story quests, conversations with npcs etc) and for what content to add in etc. And then you have bug fixing, game testing, difficulty balancing vs expected karma level of the player + equipment etc.

The tricky part is the balance between limited scope creep vs just going crazy and throwing in every little thing I think of (which is what I tend to do, hence why my game projects tend to take so long to complete).

Having a user base to test the alpha and report back quickly via the steam workshop is super handy also.
    Last edited by icemann; 14th Mar 2014 at 14:35.

That actually makes me want to go get Shadowrun just so I can play :|

EDIT: On my end, I've gotten a proper player controls going (yep, there's lean!) and been crafting gameplay. You know, I was sneaking around vents, running away from guards, with Deus Ex soundtrack in the background and realized... it kinda "felt right." Hope I'm on the right track

Also, pondering creative obstacle<->tool systems, I figured having an outside depressurized/cold walkways could be interesting. I'm considering whether I should make them require a special oxygen mask or... getting yourself drunk to stay warm

Last edited by Yakoob; 15th Mar 2014 at 01:15.

That actually makes me want to go get Shadowrun just so I can play :|

EDIT: On my end, I've gotten a proper player controls going (yep, there's lean!) and been crafting gameplay. You know, I was sneaking around vents, running away from guards, with Deus Ex soundtrack in the background and realized... it kinda "felt right." Hope I'm on the right track :)

Also, pondering creative obstacle<->tool systems, I figured having an outside depressurized/cold walkways could be interesting. I'm considering whether I should make them require a special oxygen mask or... getting yourself drunk to stay warm :laff:

I love that weird compass thing you've got going on in the corner XD and haha, those screenshots actually remind me a lot of the Panchaea level of Human Revolution.

Chakat sex pillow
    The weird compass thing in the corner is the direction of the X/Y/Z axes for reference when you're modelling stuff in 3D space. That's a shot from the level editor.

lol yea, sorry to let you down gkkiller Also thanks for the compliments earlier on my dev diaries

Re: vertical stealth, what about having some areas where the guards can relevel the playing field - e.g. have an area of overhead machinery gantries, but if the guards see you up there, they pull a lever, and the whole gantry lowers to ground level. Probably a bit over-specific and tricky to implement but could be cool.

I'm going to try and do regular weekly updates on Wheelbound, to help keep me motivated. This week is mostly about more killer plants:

Nick - that's interesting, but as you said, would be difficult to implement and wouldn't handle all scenarios (like climbing on top of crates). Still, the idea of moving gantries would be a perfect application of my new gearheart gizmo hehe.

And nice read on your blog, I enjoyed that. Do post more updates Speaking of which, here's mine for the week. Would love TTLG's thoughts on the Gizmo reusability/upgradability ideas im brainstorming.

Karaski DevBlog #8: Infiltration Gameplay, Vent Shafts and Player Movement

This week developing my second indie game was all about the mechanics and tools of infiltration, tampering with the game world to open new pathways.
    Read moar!
    Last edited by Yakoob; 18th Mar 2014 at 02:20.

Read your blog, sounding very cool, really coming along.
    However one thing, I find the word gizmo to be quite annoying. I really think you should change it to something more generic like tool or device. Just my opinion of course, but for some reason its very grating.

Still Subjective
    Great read. Looking great.

Totally agree - gizmo is one of the most irritating words ever. Tool would suffice. Or item.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 381318232829303132333435363738434853586368737883 ... LastLast