TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156616671768186 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    First off, don't use Ubuntu, use Elementary. It's based on 12.04 LTS, so it can still do all the Ubuntu stuff under the hood. But the UI is so, so much better.
    The tutorials are pretty insistent and follow its UI, so it got me paranoid. Maybe I'll go through the tutorials for now, but I'll try a switch at some point when I understand things better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Well the real reason is because it can just be installed by a script, and I don't know what the script needs to work, so I just follow instructions. I sent them a message asking them about it though.

Secondly, if they're dead set on using Linux, why are they opting for Unity? UE4 and Cryengine either have, or will soon have native Linux clients. Unity is the only one of the big three that doesn't.
    I know, right. I think it's because they just have one game programmer and Unity is what he knows. It's also a few years old, from when the other options maybe didn't sound as good as now.
    Last edited by demagogue; 15th Apr 2014 at 21:48.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    The tutorials are pretty insistent and follow its UI, so it got me paranoid. Maybe I'll go through the tutorials for now, but I'll try a switch at some point when I understand things better. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Ubuntu's fine, I just don't like Unity all that much. I think it's clunky and badly put together. If I ever switch to Linux full time (which'll happen when either GIMP gets good, or Adobe ports Photoshop), I'd use either Elementary, or a Gnome 3 distro.

I think Gnome 3 is one of the best desktop UIs I've used. It's definitely different, but once you get used to it, it's one of the most organized and easy to use environments around.

Moderator and Priest

Still working on it. That damn bed, shadows and all, took me nearly 3 hours to do.

...and it's too damn big.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Apr 2014 at 03:59.

I love the damp crack next to the door, just that adds a ton of personality to the room. I just really want this to be a horror-themed turn-based tactics game now!

I've been making tiles for the desert:

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I love the damp crack next to the door, just that adds a ton of personality to the room. I just really want this to be a horror-themed turn-based tactics game now!
    It's supposed to be a dingy, beat up old hotel room. My original plan was to have a neon sign hanging outside the left window, casting a reddish light into the room, with an old bed in the center, a TV stuffed in the corner, an oldschool radiator...er...somewhere, and a few odds and ends thrown in for detail.

One thing I'm coming to realize is that drawing details in isometric can be pretty damn hard at times. I'm thinking about trying out a three-quarter perspective for some practice, then coming back to it later. One thing I really want to do is paint in light and shadows, but that's still a bit beyond me at the moment.

I've been making tiles for the desert:

I want to play this when it comes out. Make me a beta tester.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's supposed to be a dingy, beat up old hotel room. My original plan was to have a neon sign hanging outside the left window, casting a reddish light into the room, with an old bed in the center, a TV stuffed in the corner, an oldschool radiator...er...somewhere, and a few odds and ends thrown in for detail.
    Y'know, that description's pretty much exactly the hotel room in Bad Mojo. Maybe less grotty and prone to ruin your appetite for all your life though.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Y'know, that description's pretty much exactly the hotel room in Bad Mojo. Maybe less grotty and prone to ruin your appetite for all your life though.
    That's pretty close to what I had in mind. Think more Tex Murphy, and you've got it.

And I like I said earlier, I decided to try my hand at making an RPG perspective building. I thought of a nice shape for a futuristic desert type building, and banged out a quick sketch.

Then colored and shadowed it in...

And added some detail...

I was right. It's a lot easier working in this perspective.

No, it doesn't look like much right now. This was about getting the colors and the shape down, and trying out shadowing. I need to add a ton more details, and weather the hell out of it so it looks more like sandstone and brick, instead of...mushy. That's coming next.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Apr 2014 at 03:35.

I've been on a bit of a creative haitus past few weeks due to personal reasons, but trying to get back into things. Working on the mess hall and some bulkways ...

Chakat sex pillow
    The lighting and the art looks really, really good.

Moderator and Priest
    I can't believe such a small amount of space took such a long time to do. Granted, I have to try 50 different things before I end up with something I'm happy with, but...damn, it takes awhile. I am getting faster though, and I think I might actually be improving.

It's starting to look like it's been weathered in the desert now.

Interesting.

This threads really come along. Used to be just me and Yakoob posting in it for the longest time. Now got a whole heap of people making games. Good stuff .

On my end, after 2 weeks spent on it I finally completed my work on the cult investigation quest for Shadowrun Returns.

The longest part was working out what kinds of puzzles to put into it, since I wanted to have a few in the matrix end of it. Quite unique to Shadowrun UGC's since most people just tend to go for the run and gun style, and have not much (if any) in the way of "thinking" problem solving style challenges.

Plus there was the challenge (for me) in what sorts of puzzles to attempt to put in since it's all done via triggers so super complex type puzzles were out of the question. So I spent a few days researching online into simple types of puzzles that could be added in.

In the end went with a color matching one + 2 logic based puzzles. With this quest I got to finally reveal alittle further of the back story linking the 2 game worlds (System Shock and Shadowrun), which is revealed as the player completes each puzzle in sequence. All turned out pretty well I think. Just REALLY time consuming to implement with the way in which dev work in the game editor works, which makes testing it all VERY time consuming. Hence the 2 weeks it took to get it all done.

It didn't help when, just as I was nearing completion on implementing the quest I hit a brick wall in terms of memory in the editor since you can only have so many models within a scene before the game starts randomly crashing. So that meant me having to put 3/4 of my work into a new scene which added an extra day into getting it done. Grrr.

Still a huge amount of content left to go in quests wise, but it's great seeing it all come together little by little. Motivation to keep at it is always the hardest part.
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Apr 2014 at 01:36.

Moderator and Priest
    I think my biggest regret is that I let SR:R slip me by. I had done a little bit, and realized there was so much I could've done, but...I dunno. I ran out of free time, and never was able to get back in the groove of things when I finally had it.

It can be quite fun to work on. Though you need to have ALOT of patience + a programming mind set for some of the stuff in it. Especially if you want things in a scene/map to be remembered by the game if you return to it later.

Having the time to work on it, even in bursts is a must also. I'm not talking days, but an hour here and there etc.

Though with that said, much also needs to go into other things like planning the story, challenges, types of levels you want to have, what quests, will there be side quests, places to farm karma and/or money etc etc.

If you go in a with a clear idea of what you want to create that helps also. The good side is that if your determined enough and can think outside the square to an extent, then there's a good chance you can pull it off in the game engine. Having all the already created community content (which you can use in your own UGC content) helps massively, as does the video and text tutorials available.

I can't believe such a small amount of space took such a long time to do.
    Haha, I know what you mean, it's always the smallest details you end up wasting 80% of your time because "IT NEEDS TO BE PURRRFECT!"

Here's some new areas I've been working on this week:

Looks good, for some reason I am reminded of System Shock2.

It's the clear inspiration for it, if you've been following the previous screenshots. The protocol droid being a dead giveaway.

Yup, i actually got some screenies in my concept/inspirations folder. But ya know I was running through the empty corridors* and thinking to myself "damn, this REALLY feels like system shock." Which I guess is a good thing

And the droid was just a joke to pay homage to one of my favorite games hehe... maybe I should put it in somewhere as an easter egg hmm...

(*panting and sweating)

You'd be fine I think. If you had SHODAN and this was a paid game, then be a different story. Though if you had the evil AI with a different look and name, then that'd be fine (in theory).

Free seems to go under the radar generally, unless there's a upcoming game in the works along a similar vein that's either a direct sequel or linked in somehow (eg spiritual successor etc).
    Last edited by icemann; 26th Apr 2014 at 03:15.

Moderator and Priest
    I must've spent 3 hours staring at drapes and canopies to get the shape down, the another 4 slapping them into pixel-land.

It was worth it. This is probably the first thing I've done that actually looks pretty good.

And just for the fun of it, a night shot!

Last edited by Renzatic; 26th Apr 2014 at 03:12.

Looking good, Renz

The awnings are excellent! And overall a good amount of detail without losing the simplicity of the building.

I would probably add some purple tones and significantly lower the saturation of the night time version though.

Renz those look great, but are you actually making a game out of em?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    The awnings are excellent! And overall a good amount of detail without losing the simplicity of the building.

I would probably add some purple tones and significantly lower the saturation of the night time version though.
    That night shot was me goofing around cuz I wanted to see what it'd look like with glowing windows. All it is is a blue layer set to linear burn. If I really wanted to give it a proper night treatment, I'd do all the colors by hand.

Since you mentioned purple tones, one of the things I want to figure out is how some people can use almost inverted colors for shadowed sections. I like the style of it, but I haven't given it enough time to figure out how they choose the colors to do it yet.

You see it quite a bit in this shot here. Specifically on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglick
    Renz those look great, but are you actually making a game out of em?
    I'd love to, but...not yet. I need to get a lot better at it before I even start about making a pixel art game.

It's to do with hue shifting. This is a fantastic visual tutorial, but the essence is: Add purple to shadow colours, add yellow to highlight colours.

I've been having fun knocking up a giant pitcher plant that can eat the player:

Weekly (ish) update here!

And I must have a very dirty mind as that doesn't look like a plant to me.

Page 36 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156616671768186 ... LastLast