TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459646974798489 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Moderator and Priest

Graveyard Pumpkins. Cuz, hell, why not?

Made a short video of the in progress aforementioned Meteos clone I'm making in Unity:

Note the bouncing. Seriously, any pointers on how to knock that shit off would be welcome.

The only solution to the bouncing I've been able to find is that if the falling speed is faster than a certain amount cast a ray downward, and if that ray hits something cut speed to 20% of current speed. Which works, but it still looks pretty awkward and weird.
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 7th Jun 2014 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Seriously, any pointers on how to knock that shit off would be welcome.
    Honestly, I'm a bit unsure why you're bothering with physics on this in the first place. They go up, and down, and stop in discrete locations, and do not rotate. I would totally just use transform.position if I were doing it.

You've probably noticed that your bouncing problem is endemic to stacks of at least three. The first block doesn't bounce, the second block doesn't bounce, but once you hit three, problems. But, here's the thing; you don't need those guys reacting to forces at that point anyway. Just make every landed block kinematic until you need them to rise. You're already setting whole stacks to kinematic upon drag. (This will also improve your performance, although I doubt that's an issue.)

Moderator and Priest
    The bounce physics do add a nice effect to it. If he can get it working right and tweak it a bit, it would add a bit of style to the whole thing.

I feel like if I were doing pure transform.position + maths for acceleration and variable world gravities, my 'objects getting stuck inside each other when one stack is launching and another block is falling' problems could become significantly worse. Also I'd have to figure out all that math. Plus differentiating between a block that's landed because it's collided with the ground or a standing stack and a block that's hit a stack that's in the process of launching. Plus transferring forces when a falling block hits a launching stack (which, admittedly, my current hack already messes up a bit, but there's still a noticeable impact on the launch speed when an incoming block or blocks hit). It's very much a physics driven game.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Will it have voice acting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Not planning on it; there's a lot of dialogue that will probably keep rewriting a lot and I don't honestly have the budget or experience to do proper VO :/
    I should really do something like this. It's one of the few things I could answer yes to most aspects. (not me personally, but getting other people)

Moderator and Priest
    Since I plan on getting these into an engine (still deciding on UDK or Unity), I'm approaching things in a much more planned, structured manner this time. Making everything one bit at a time, so I can export them out individually, rather than in one big lump.

I haven't had much time to work on it. I've been doing one little piece every other day, but it's starting to look sorta like a play set. And it really doesn't look like paper, it looks more like clay.

Work began this week on the next primary quest for my campaign for Shadowrun Returns. Can you survive the 9 levels of the Scorpion Tower?

This quest is inspired by the "Drake Tower" section of the Shadowrun game on the Super Nintendo:

Another devlog for Rocket Blocks.

I think I've got the anti-bounce raycast hack tuned so it's not obnoxious. Put in a tiny bit of placeholder UI and some placeholder (possibly final) sounds.

The plan right now is that once I get one or two more sounds in and the 'You Died, push button to restart' UI/functionality in I'll build that as a Windows executable and upload it somewhere so I can get some feedback from people that aren't me.

Well, it's not much compared to what some of you guys have been doing, but here goes.
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...43612609370189

An actual prototype you can play! Did this on and off over about 4 weekends, using the Angel2D engine. I'm only afraid it might be a little too Portal-ish, but there are a few other mechanics I haven't implemented.

Moderator and Priest
    Fafhrd, I think your game's gonna end up being awesome. I could see how being able to build a base underneath all those blocks and watching them rocket up would be fun as hell.

Kroakie, you've got a good start with a good idea, but it's still kinda confusing. Is there a way you could set it so that the anchors angle off the walls or something like that, instead of just not working when they're pointing out of bounds? It took me a bit to figure out why hitting the space bar would sometimes work, and sometimes wouldn't.

...and how do you get to that first red spot?

Making it angle off the wall will be inconsistent with it being able to pass through walls in the first place, but I get why you would get confused. I would probably add some audio or visual cues, maybe have the guide line change colour. Thanks for your feedback!

And as for the first level, just shoot the anchor at the floor near the base of the wall, and move forward all the way.
    Last edited by Kroakie; 15th Jun 2014 at 20:05.

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. I just now figured out how it works, and got to the red spot. It crashed on me before I was able to play the next level, though. : \

Like I said, it's a great idea, and the start of something that could be grand if you put the work into it. But the first thing you need to work on is the intuitiveness. Like I expected the anchors to act a bit like ropes, which they sorta do...but really don't.

I'd suggest making it so the rays on the anchors don't extend beyond the boundary of the level, but can pass through some blocks contained within. That way, your player won't be wondering why one second the spacebar works, and the next it doesn't. And on the blocks the rays can pass through, if you teleport into them, it makes a fizzle and spits you back out to the previous anchor, rather than not showing any action at all.

edit: finished up another little mausoleum, and threw a bunch of my trees into the scene to get an idea of what it'd all look like together.

I think it's pretty neat.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 15th Jun 2014 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    And on the blocks the rays can pass through, if you teleport into them, it makes a fizzle and spits you back out to the previous anchor, rather than not showing any action at all.
    That is exactly how I envisioned it will work in the final version, I just haven't got around to it yet. I may have underestimated the impact of the lack of feedback, since I got the same comment from my friend.That's what playtest is for, I guess.

And that papercraft-style looks great!

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroakie View Post
    That is exactly how I envisioned it will work in the final version, I just haven't got around to it yet. I may have underestimated the impact of the lack of feedback, since I got the same comment from my friend.That's what playtest is for, I guess.
    I just finished the demo. It's rough around the edges, but there's something just so fun about it. The biggest problem you've got is that the first level doesn't sell the concept as well as the rest. It's just about getting the right length of rope, rather than figuring out where best to place the anchors so you'll build up enough inertia to get to the red squares. I recommend sticking it near the end of the demo, rather than at the very start.

As for feedback, that's something you'll always want to get in some shape, form, or fashion. It's the one real way to find out what works and what doesn't. But you don't want to take the criticism so close to heart that you end up changing what you originally intended to fit someone else's idea for your game. It's your game, and it should ultimately play the way you want it to play. But you don't want to ignore what everyone says, either.

verbose douchebag
    I think it's pretty neat
    It's very fucking neat. Lovely even.

As for feedback, that's something you'll always want to get in some shape, form, or fashion. It's the one real way to find out what works and what doesn't. But you don't want to take the criticism so close to heart that you end up changing what you originally intended to fit someone else's idea for your game. It's your game, and it should ultimately play the way you want it to play. But you don't want to ignore what everyone says, either.
    I was actually referring to the to the visual/audio feedback the game gives to the player, rather than user's feedback, but good point.

Edit: And here's a new version with said better (hopefully) feedback. And 2 new maps, plus some tweaks to the existing ones based on the player feedback from Renz and some of my friends.
    Last edited by Kroakie; 16th Jun 2014 at 12:24.

Fafhrd, I think your game's gonna end up being awesome. I could see how being able to build a base underneath all those blocks and watching them rocket up would be fun as hell.
    Thanks, Renz! Let me know how you feel after playing it. (Alpha build, but I think it's pretty solid, mechanically.)

Moderator and Priest
    HOLY SHIT, THAT WAS LOUD!

I got up to a thousand points, and yeah, it is pretty fun. Anything I'd recommend changing you've probably already got planned, like making the blocks drop faster and whatnot.

But damn, man. Damn.

When I first fired it up, I was listening to the music, all getting into the oldschool sound of it, when all of a sudden...

THONK

...the first wave of blocks hit the ground. The bass. The TREBLE! I'm not kidding when I say I felt my eardrums go concave. It has to be a thousand times louder than the background music.

Scared the shit out of me. :P

Kroakie, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but your latest version is a HUGE improvement. Being able to track where you're going with the shadow wheel makes the game so much easier to understand and get into.

Yeah, I need to edit the mp3 of the music to turn up it's volume or something. And find a way to keep multiple instances of the hit sound from firing off simultaneously (did you get a full row on the first wave?)

On the to-do list.
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 18th Jun 2014 at 23:31.

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. Got a full row minus one. It's actually dropping the blocks when you grab them that's the loudest.

Oh, and I managed to break the game a bit. I got three horizontal, and immediately after they turned into rockets, I grabbed a green block on top and tried dragging it down to make another horizontal line just beneath the initial 3. Me dragging that one block down kept the rocket blocks from flying off, like I was holding them in place, then they got bogged down and stuck on the board after the next wave of blocks dropped down from the top. I ended up with 6 black blocks on the board I couldn't do anything with.

Oh yeah, I should add that when I finally ended up getting caught by a venus fly trap, I had the volume cranked up, and the resulting scream ended up scaring the shit out of me.
    When I first fired it up, I was listening to the music, all getting into the oldschool sound of it, when all of a sudden...

THONK

...the first wave of blocks hit the ground. The bass. The TREBLE! I'm not kidding when I say I felt my eardrums go concave. It has to be a thousand times louder than the background music.

Scared the shit out of me. :P
    Heheh, someone likes to crank his volume.

Taking the Death Toll
    Reminds me of the time I decided to fire up a game -- forget which, might've been either Redneck Rampage or Shadow Warrior -- and forgot I had something else in the drive OPETH BLASTING WHAT IS GOING ON

Oh, and I managed to break the game a bit. I got three horizontal, and immediately after they turned into rockets, I grabbed a green block on top and tried dragging it down to make another horizontal line just beneath the initial 3. Me dragging that one block down kept the rocket blocks from flying off, like I was holding them in place, then they got bogged down and stuck on the board after the next wave of blocks dropped down from the top. I ended up with 6 black blocks on the board I couldn't do anything with.
    Hmm. Were they stuck stuck, or could you still drag those six around afterwards?

It holding when you drag is as designed (since I have to have all the blocks in a column switch to kinematic while dragging to keep worse stuff from happening). The thrust timer actually stops counting down while you do that (though I didn't tie the particle system into that).

Trying to drag blocks below rocket blocks while they're launching is not a thing I have accounted for, and that's the sort of thing I was afraid might happen. I have to lock matching sets together in order to compound their thrust (so if you've got a horizontal set with 8 blocks on one, and no blocks on the other two the two clear ones help lift the not clear one). So I need to either prevent moving blocks below actively lifting rockets, or allow it, but turn off the displacement raycast.

Moderator and Priest
    I could move them around, but they wouldn't do anything when I grouped them together. They were just filling up space on the board.

Oh, and two of the blue blocks were stuck halfway inside each other when this all went down, but they shifted back in place when I moved them around. This is less a gamebreaking bug, and more a polish issue, so I wouldn't consider it as important.

One easy way to solve it would be to make the rocket blocks shoot off the screen faster. The only reason why I tried grabbing that one block off it in the first place was because it gave me enough time to do so, and I wanted to see what would happen.

Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459646974798489 ... LastLast