TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954104 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    other than free type 2 which in an earlier project I worked on had slowed our game down
    It does not have any discernible effect on performance at all - unless you were rebuilding the glyphs all the time for no reason :/ ... or something else equally disastrous.

Moderator and Priest
    Who's right about what now?

I've finally decided that a nearly 5 month hiatus is more than enough, and it was time to start working on my NWN tileset again.

After 4 hours of slaving to the grind, my labor has borne tasty fruits.

All this stuff is supposed to be Victorian era-ish, but it's all looking more 1930's by the time I'm done with it. Must be some psychological hangup I've got or something.

El Pato

RENZ!

WHERE ARE YOU, YOU FUCK!?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    RENZ!

WHERE ARE YOU, YOU FUCK!?

Hey, I was on Steam for about 3 weeks straight (like two months ago), and I never saw you on even once. So where the hell were you?

Also I'm downloading Fishing game.

Edit: Icemann, tried it out, and got this...

Are there any specific libraries I need to install to get this running, or is it all self contained?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st May 2011 at 12:47.

Does casually messing around with the editor of a game count?

I get the same thing as Renzatic. I haven't been able to play it all this time.

Notes:
    * No crash here (WinXP 64bit).
    * Do not use megaupload - it has a f* waiting bullshit. Free easy to use no-wait alternatives: mediafire, dropbox.
    * I would suggest to use static linking where possible - it is just WAY too big.

Moderator and Priest

Some google searches on the error msg say to download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...3-37bf0912db84
    Nope. Didn't work. I've tried goofing around with everything I can think of, and it still gives me the same error.

If it helps out at all, I'm on Win7 Pro x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrime
    Does casually messing around with the editor of a game count?
    I don't see why it wouldn't. Post up your stuff.

As for me, I haven't had much time to work on it, so all I've done is the top half of my steeple. It's turning out alright, but I'm a little concerned about the scale.

Scale guy down there is 1.8 meters, which is roughly kindasorta 6 foot tall. Based on that, do you think the church looks about to scale? It's not supposed to be big, but I'm afraid it might be a little squished.

Administrator
    Fishing Time doesn't work here either, I'm afraid - both 32 bit Windows XP or 64 bit Windows 7 came up with the same error Renzatic posted. It may be worth checking whether you've built both Fishing Time and the ftgl library in release mode rather than debug mode.

Administrator
    Yes, release mode is correct. I was being suspicious because you included the "ftgl_d.dll" library which I suspected may be the debug version of that library.

Edit - yes, that DLL is the problem. I built freetype2 and ftgl in release mode and renamed the ftgl dll to ftgl_d.dll. Overwriting the one that was in your distribution allowed the game to start. I've uploaded a zipped version here. Just extract it into the Fishing Time directory.
    Last edited by Al_B; 22nd May 2011 at 08:21.

Administrator
    It fixed the problem on both of my machines - but they already have the Visual C++ runtimes installed for all recent versions. It looks like the DLLs need a mix of runtimes. DevIL.dll appears to require two versions of the 2005 runtime, and the ftgl_d.dll (in your zip file) needed the 2008 runtime. It also looks like you're distributing some of the 2010 runtime files, but this isn't listed as a dependancy in the application's manifest.

I'd be inclined to build everything in the same version of Visual Studio where you can. I don't know if everything has a static library available - but ftgl certainly does. Build the solution in release mode and you should end up with a "ftgl_static.lib" in the msvc\build directory. Specify this as an additional dependency in your Fishing Time project settings (under linker) and you shouldn't need that DLL. The same principle may also work for the other libraries you're using.

Administrator
    Yes - that's an old version of freetype. I got version 2.4.4 from here and built it. I then changed the library that ftgl was looking for to freetype244.lib and then built that (I had to move the library into freetype's objs directory before it would pick it up).

Administrator
    No - they can be in separate solutions, that's not a problem. Probably a daft question but have you removed the ftgl.lib (i.e. the DLL import library) from the list of dependancies from your game? If you're still linking to it then your game will still need the DLL.

Administrator
    Sent a PM to avoid cluttering up this thread even further.

@Icemann:
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    I don't know if everything has a static library available - but ftgl certainly does.
    Can not say with certainty - but as far as i remember everything there has either a precompiled static library available or you can compile one yourself.

To remove the win specific dll's (ie. use static linking for standard libraries): Look under C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library.

More details: http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/libraries.html

Ps. You can add the other libraries in source also (i happen to prefer that method as it is more convenient for me to choose what version of the libraries i compile against and can pick and choose via preprocessor), ex:
    #pragma comment(lib,__FILE__ "/../../lib/freetype-2.3.12/win64-freetype2312ST.lib")

Due to security reasons - if the path is given then it must be full path. hence why the __FILE__ "/.." part.
    ... hm ... freetype lib is outdated - have to get a new one (some important patents fell in the mean time, so the update is worth the hassle i bet).

Administrator
    Don't forget that if you want to remove the Visual C++ runtime you should make sure that ALL libraries that you statically link to are compiled in the same way. I have known situations where this isn't practical although it should be possible in this case with a bit of work.

I'm in two minds about the #pragma approach for including library dependancies. I do find it useful where a library is strongly related to a particular source file. However, it can make it harder to review which libraries are being used unless you're familiar with the source code.

Judith
    I just finished the first piece of furniture for the whole set I'm planning. Target platform is TDS but it could be any engine, I guess.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5...net01sheet.jpg

Moderator and Priest
    Finally got to play Fishing Time! Went through two games, and didn't notice any severe issues, other than the shark eating my fish with it's tail.

Judith: Where the hell you been, man? Here you are making cool stuff, and I haven't heard peep one out of you in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I just finished the first piece of furniture for the whole set I'm planning. Target platform is TDS but it could be any engine, I guess.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5...net01sheet.jpg
    It'd be nice if you'd donated it for The Dark Mod as well.
    Good looking furniture is always welcome.

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It'd be nice if you'd donated it for The Dark Mod as well.
    Good looking furniture is always welcome.
    Sure, I just need model format extension and someone who would work with TDM's shaders a bit. This model begs for proper specular

426 polies? You should donate a version of that to the Thief 2 modders, too.

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    426 polies? You should donate a version of that to the Thief 2 modders, too.
    Sure, no problem. Anyone who wants the model please PM me and leave any technical info I might need: target format, texture size limitations etc.

I'm not sure the texture will be good for T2 since the model is unwrapped. Scaling it down to something like 256x256 will loose all the detail. Still someone could retexture it.

Thief doesn't support any fancy texture types like specular, normal, bump, etc., though with the appropriate patches there's no texture size limitation any more (technically I think the limit is 4096x4096).

Target format is Thief's own model format, which can be built from .3ds.

Does it have working hinges? Those can be something of a pain to set up in Dark (not that difficult but it's a bit fiddly).

If anyone's interested, you'd probably be best to just send them the original texture and .3ds and get them to sort it all out for themselves.

Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954104 ... LastLast