TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 118 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2946

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    -near the end it got super laggy on my Samsung Galaxy S2. Combined with the fast pace this makes it really difficult.
    -consider putting some kind of pattern on the blocks as well to easier distinguish them. It feels like green and yellow are quite close to eachother in hue.
    -at the end the ad that comes up at the top blocks the view of the score! When I clicked "Back to menu" it vanishes tho, and I can see the score for a second before it jumps back to the menu. But either move that ad or display the score in the middle of the Game Over screen.
    - The lag is the thing that I'm having the most trouble figuring out how to fix. I've got the draw calls as optimized as they're going to get (they don't go any higher than 13), the issue seems to be the physics. I get basically no lag at all when I play on my Nook HD+, but my HTC DesireZ gets pretty bad once the stacks get above about the half way point. I'm thinking of putting some sort of Physics Performance slider in the options menu, but changing the Fixed Time brings with it a bunch of other problems (a lot more bouncing, a higher probability of blocks getting stuck inside each other, etc). That it's as bad as you describe on an S2 is really worrying. Especially if you were playing at the default gravity.
    - Definitely planning for this. Either a texture, or just having different shaped blocks for different colours.
    - If you've logged in to Google Play Games (in the options menu, along with the different gravity pre-sets), your score will post to the leaderboard on exit. Having it say "Game Over: Your Score Here " is a good idea (and a super-easy fix). And I should probably figure out local scoreboard storage either for people who don't want to log in to Google Play, or are offline when they're playing (though that might get complicated, since I'll have to hash the save file so that people can't edit it externally and post faked score).
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 12th Oct 2014 at 16:13.

Moderator and Priest
    Writing all those tutorials down in TEG made me want to make something myself. It's been forever since I worked on anything big, so I figured I might as well start by doing the most complicated thing I've ever done.

And here it is.

Not even a quarter of the way done, and I'm already at 1.25 million polygons. I'll finish the struts and handlebars up tomorrow, but then comes the hard part. I gotta figure out how motorcycle engines are put together (or at least figure out which parts are important so it'll look good), then fit it into the design I have in mind.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Renz, that looks awesome.

@Faf:
    I figured I'd play your game once or twice and report back to you but I've ended up playing it every day this week during my coffebreaks. This is really good stuff.

Disregard what I said earlier about changing the pace. It works great as it is once you get into the habit of using the force blocks button. But I gotta ask how that Force Blocks button works. It seems like it simply shortens the countdown timer to the next wave of blocks while you're holding it down? Might be better if it actually initiated the next wave as soon as you press it instead.

As for the lag, it seems to show up when there's a lot of stuff on screen, and there's two sets of blocks flying upwards while new blocks are falling. At one point near the end of my last game this meant the game stopped responding to input when I was trying to move another block. Probably goes without saying that this kind of stuff is really irritating.

I understand if you've reached the limits of what Unity and the hardware can do tho. I guess a physics performance slider might help but wouldn't that change the way the game plays? If you're planning on implementing a global leaderboard (and a game like this should totally have one) the playing field needs to be even.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm working on a couple games right now.

Look at this screenshot.

Pretty awesome huh? Well dig this, that's not even one of the games I'm working on! The two I'm working on are even MORE awesome. Stay tuned.

Moderator and Priest
    SILVER SURFER 3D FTW!

Looks very Tron-ish. Me likey likey.

@henke: Excellent. I wish I could take credit for the gameplay hook, but it's a flagrant clone of Meteos.

The Force Blocks button does immediately spawn blocks, but the blocks spawn ~13 units off screen and fall down, so it takes them a bit. When held down there's a one second delay between waves, since otherwise there'd be a constant stream of solid rows of blocks, instead of them being randomized.

I've made some tweaks to the time settings that I think manage to keep the framerate up on lower end devices (I've managed a score of 6000 on Earth gravity on my phone, and 1800 on Jupiter gravity on my Nook Colour), but there's only so much that can be done before the physics will start going totally wacky on a device that can't handle that much going on.

And there are leaderboards. Sign-in to Google Play Games in the Main Menu options (also where you can select different gravities). The build I'm pushing out tomorrow night will have auto-sign-in, as well as the physics tweaks and some UI tweaks..

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah! I've been playing it offline, probably explains why no Google sign-in has showed up.

I managed to get a score in the 8000-range the other day on Luna gravity. When boxes are dropping like crazy but it's still relatively easy to line up a few and keep the game going I felt like a total badass. More specifically I felt like Neo from the Matrix, seeing the code. Which gives me an idea, you should give this whole thing a "hacking the Matrix code" theme!(tho obviously not enough so as to get sued) Just change the blocks for Matrix code symbols and make the background all black, then get rid of the rocket flames, and add some Matrixy sound effects. You gotta make this, at least as a bonus mode or something. It'll give the game a wider appeal! (who wouldn't wanna hack the Matrix code?)

I don't know if Matrix code could work for this, but you've given me an idea that I'll throw out here if anyone wants to try to make it:

Standard Match-3 gameplay, so you just match three blocks, they disappear, more blocks take their place. 7 matrix symbols. The blocks themselves randomly change which symbol is being displayed every 15 frames or so, so the pattern is constantly shifting even if you're not doing anything. The trick is that there are only four seeds for the RNG that controls the symbol shifting, so if you can id which blocks are on which seed, you can get guaranteed matches by lining those blocks up, or you can use the half second before the symbols change again to try and get a match with what's being displayed.

Only problem is that I'm not sure what the fail state can be.

I just uploaded a new Alpha build of Rocket Blocks, so if you haven't joined the Alpha now is as good a time as any.

It's definitely starting to come together, even with as little feedback as this Alpha has gotten me

Screenshot of the current version:

I also realized that I still had a bit of code that was messing up my draw calls, so fixed that. The way that Unity instantiates a material if you so much as reference it by renderer.material instead of renderer.sharedMaterial is really annoying. The framerate should be much more stable once stuff really starts hitting the fan, though I'll probably also end up having to change the particle system for the thrusters eventually.

Level 10,000 achieved
    We've been working a lot with Augmented Reality at work, so after work on friday I had the idea to make an AR driving game. The idea is that you'd be able to drive around a little car on your table, just like a RC car, but rendered through the smartphone. Anyway, modelled a car, got the driving physics in order (based on previous tests), and got the AR working(using Vuforia) on friday evening, but then spent most of saturday working on one little infuriating detail that I still haven't managed to solve: how to get two GUI buttons to accept input at the same time. At the moment I can steer left, right, and accelerate, but not at the same time. I have to let go of accelerate before being able to turn, which makes it a very unsatisfying driving experience.

Installing Unity Remote right now, and I think I might be getting close to a solution using Input.touches instead of the regular input.
    Last edited by henke; 10th Nov 2014 at 12:47.

I've had the same problem; it seems to be device dependent.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I figured it out I fucking figured it out I AM A GEEEENIUUUUUUSSSSSSSS!

The problem was that the regular GUI Button code basically emulates touch input as mouseclicks, and since a mouse can't be in 2 places at once it doesn't work. Input.touches did it tho. But it made it harder to test while making it, did eventually get Unity remote working after some messing around with Samsung Kies, but exporting a project I've used Remote on didn't work because of some feature that you need Unity Pro for, so I had to have a duplicate project where I just tested the touch input stuff and yada yada ANYWAY WHO WANTS TO GIVE THIS THING A TRY: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...AR/DriftAR.apk

You need an Android phone, an APK installer (get it from Google Play), and have "Install from Unknown Sources" enabled in your Security settings. Put the apk anywhere on your phone and install with the apk installer.

To play:

1. find a good flat surface in your home, preferably some feature rich magazines or papers lying around, for the tracking to work best.
    2. start the game, hold the phone level above the surface, maybe 30 cm up or so.
    3. press the camera button when it shows up. (and be snappy about it, the car loads in right away but the world geometry only loads in once you've pressed the button, so if you wait too long the car will have fallen past the geometry and will just keep falling. There's a handy "reset button" in the corner, if this should happen.)
    4. hold the phone in landscape mode with the camera button to the right.

controls:

right half of the screen: accelerate
    1 and 2 quarters of the screen from the left: steer left/right

Also, double tap the screen to bring up the vuforia options and enable "Extended Tracking" for best tracking. This screen will show up if you double tap by accident as well, sorry, haven't figured out how to disable it completely.

Administrator
    I approve of this if only because it means I have a legitimate excuse to leave "feature rich" magazines around on my desk.

Level 10,000 achieved
    lol, not that kind of "feature rich". Feature rich as in very detailed covers, with a lot of edges.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Updated: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...AR/DriftAR.apk

-Improved wheel behaviour when drifting
    -Got real time shadow shader working on the invisible groundplane
    -Tweaked a lot of little things

Anyone play this yet? You better hurry up and give it a go, I'm not sure I'll ever release it in any official capacity so this might be your only chance to experience Henke's AR RC Tabletop Extravaganza Bonanza (working title).

Judith
    Several hours into my tiled mesh / texturing exercise for "something" that might happen later, and I already see how much I forgot about shading, normals and modeling in general. This is T3Ed by the way.

Very real-like.

Judith
    Well, the thing with modular walls is, they can't be flat planes lined up against each other like that. Even in modern engines it would look poor (although blended normals might hide the seams a bit). There always have to be some angle and depth for shading and normals to work right. That's why I went on and did something like this:

And started working on textures and color palette:

I think walls are ok, now onto some modules for the floor and ceiling.

Level 10,000 achieved
    HOW TO MOTIVATE ONESELF
    TO STOP PLAYING VIDEOGAMES
    AND START MAKING VIDEOGAMES

Anyone got any ideas?

Chakat sex pillow
    Play video game.

Ask self, 'how the fuck did they DO that?'

Find out by doing it yourself. Realise that you have great ideas to translate to games. Run a kickstarter. Hire art team, sound team, programming team, QA team, PR team, HR team, production interns, admin and facilities teams, accountants, executives, business excellence operatives to run pie charts and graphs, PAs, assistants, localisation teams, and a sweatshop in Taiwan to turn out low-cost incidental art and t-shirts with company logo.

Turn a profit, standardise an annual work production cycle by cutting the same kind of game each time but with more features, monetise end-product by introducing microtransaction/subscription-based platforms.

Kill self.

The end.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 16th Dec 2014 at 14:57.

Judith
    Start watching LD, modeling or any other tutorials and either get depressed about your low skills or feel desperate to reach similar level. Or just realize how much you miss this mess. Works for me

Look at the way in which levels were done in a game for inspiration on how to better do your own, in the games that you create. Do the same with game elements etc.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The problem is not lack of ideas. I've started making 4 different games this year, and gotten them into what might charitably be called "early alpha", but eventually I get to a point where I just can't get a certain piece of code working, or I'd really need to buckle down and start doing some proper work to get assets made. At this point my enthusiasm for the project usually runs out and I either start working on another game, or give up and just play other people's games. I had the same problem when I was making Flash animations. Eventually tho, I gotta get one of these damn things finished. Think I'll go back to Adrift. I got some new ideas for how to make that thing fun. Would love to get at least one thing finished this year.

Sulph, lol.

Judith
    Hah, so you need to team with people who complement your skills. I love making textures and models (I hate UVing though, it's like a punishment for all the good stuff ), but don't know jack about character modelling or coding, so environment or level design is my only option, if I want to work alone.

Page 41 of 118 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691 ... LastLast