TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 44 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4914192429343940414243444546474849545964697479848994 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2590

Thread: What are you making?

Every single time I see this thread at the top of General Gaming, this immediately pops into my head:

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I've also looked into some other video editors. Tried some free open source ones that really sucked. Tried a trial of Cyberlink Powereditor a few days ago but I didn't enjoy the feel of it at all.
    I say this any time anyone anywhere ever asks about good cheap video editing software: Blender.

Nice walking animation Faf. I think I like the top one better.

Has anyone here used Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements btw? I'm trying to stay on the straight and narrow here and 130 euros seems like a pretty good price. I'm used to using Photoshop and Premiere and I'm wondering how much more limited the Elements versions are.
    I've not actually used Prem E myself but looking at a video or two it doesn't seem too bad. Like a lot of things, "Easy to use" or "basic" means widgety in placeshell and annoying. But it does actually seem like you can get past all of that and get to a regular interface. It seems like it's missing a lot of audio multi track stuff and heavier duty compositing things (not that I use them anyway). Titler seems pretty cut down. Its apparently limited to a lot in what formats it'll actually import and export too. But that's usual.

So I guess it depends what you want to do, as ever, but it looks decent enough.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the encouragement Pyrian and dema. After more some tweaking last night I did manage to make that level completable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    You know, if you can put some more polish on it (like the UI), I can see it doing very well with the fans of silly physics shenanigans ala Sumotori Dreams or Goat simulator
    Heh, yeah, I love silly physics shenanigan games. (tho less Goat Sim and more Bossa Studios) As for polish, man, I had the first playable prototype done after a week, and it feels like the month and a half since then I've mostly just been adding "polish". Textures, soundeffects, soundtrack, menu, scenery, timer, control-hints. Guess I could spiff up the UI a tad tho. Pretty much the only thing I've done for it yet is get a custom font.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I say this any time anyone anywhere ever asks about good cheap video editing software: Blender.
    Had no idea Blender does videoediting. That even looks decently powerful. Since I've already got it installed I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Its apparently limited to a lot in what formats it'll actually import and export too.
    Yeah, that's got me a bit concerned.

verbose douchebag
    I think Yakoob meant you should publish it in Polish.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't know if I've got what it takes to compete on the Polish silly physics shenanigan games market.

Yeah, that's got me a bit concerned.
    Yeah. At which point I just sub in virtual dub to do the compressing to something else. I often find that simpler than using the Adobe compressor interface. But not everyone wants to do all that.
    (I tried Blender for a while but it really did seem like you'd have to customise the hell out of the interface and window layout to make it recognisable as an editor...which that guy has done, so awesome.)

I don't know if I've got what it takes to compete on the Polish silly physics shenanigan games market.
    As a translator in English-Polish language pair (with experience in game industry) I can help you apply Polish wherever you need. I'm no good for Polish silly physics though – I hate vodka.

verbose douchebag
    You can use 3rd party vodka physics.

As for polish, man, I had the first playable prototype done after a week, and it feels like the month and a half since then I've mostly just been adding "polish". Textures, soundeffects, soundtrack, menu, scenery, timer, control-hints. Guess I could spiff up the UI a tad tho. Pretty much the only thing I've done for it yet is get a custom font.
    Haha yep. Shit always takes more time than you think! Thats why im leaving so many months to do that on my own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    As a translator in English-Polish language pair (with experience in game industry) I can help you apply Polish wherever you need. I'm no good for Polish silly physics though I hate vodka.
    Funny that, im not a big fan of vodka either. More of a whiskey, beer and wine guy.

Also dont care for potatoes.

Adding a few sounds to a project makes the rest of it seem eerily silent.

...Just... ...Die... ...Already...

I'm having a ton of issues with dead units. Mostly crashes involving removed references, which are boring; I've still got a crash bug from party member death. But then come the other things...

My favorite is the fact that you can issue orders to dead units. Go ahead, issue all the orders you like. They won't DO anything. They're still dead. ...I suppose someday I should fix this...

Their movement paths remained visible. (Fixed.)

You could select them to issue orders or attack by clicking where they used to be. Units ordered to attack them would immediately give up, just like if they'd been killed during the course of the turn, which doesn't help when what you wanted was to move to that location. (Fixed.)

Dead units have their game objects inactivated. Enemy units not in line of sight have their game objects inactivated until you can see them again. Do you see where I'm going with this? Look away from a corpse, and then look back, and suddenly its "ghost" is returned! Units would even try to attack it, which actually caused a stack overflow (find closest enemy -> there he is -> set target -> oops my target is dead -> find closest enemy -> repeat ad infinitum). (Fixed.)

Pyrian, I've tried checking last few pages but couldn't quite find info on your project. What game is that? And what language/engine if any? Errors due to missing references sound like you're doing some lo-level coding?

Smart pointers, sir. Smart pointers!

Pyrian, I've tried checking last few pages but couldn't quite find info on your project. What game is that?
    Glade Raid. I guess I haven't actually posted about it. I'm making a small-party turn-based tactical RPG. Sort of like Shadowrun Returns or even good ol' D&D? Except that I'm using simultaneous turns instead of units acting one by one. No Frozen Synapse fiddly stuff, though. Each unit gets two orders per turn (with target(s) as appropriate).

And what language/engine if any? Errors due to missing references sound like you're doing some lo-level coding?

Smart pointers, sir. Smart pointers!
    Unity/C#. The errors are good, in a way; I need to catch all the cases that get away from me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh! Sounds good. Is there a "planning phase" where you get to give orders to the enemy units like in Frozen Synapse tho?

Ooooh! Sounds good.
    Thanks. A little early to pass judgment, though, lol.

Is there a "planning phase" where you get to give orders to the enemy units like in Frozen Synapse tho?
    No. I guess I'm filing that under "fiddly stuff"; I want this to play fast. I could spend hours tuning my movements just so in Frozen Synapse and it kind of drove me nuts because I didn't really enjoy doing it, but if I didn't do it I'd lose vatforms in preventable ways. Even though I'm already vastly reducing the possible complexity of orders by limiting the player to two of them per unit, I want to avoid features that slow the game down.

...Plus, I'm doing full Fog of War, which kind of messes that feature up anyway.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh I totally get that! Ever since playing Hoplite, I've had an idea for a John Woo-flavoured simulatanous turn based shootout game kicking around in my head. It'd be very fast paced, with only two button presses required per turn. One to set the aiming direction, one to set the movement direction. Then the turn plays out with your character shooting at baddies in the direction you've set him to aim and move in the direction you've set him to move. If there's tables in the way they get shootdodged over.

I've had a lot of game ideas lately, not sure this is one that'd actually be doable, but I might try making a prototype at some point.

As for What I'm Making: nothing this week! With the week off from work and a new computer here my work ethic has flown out the window. Just playing games right now. Will get back to Stilt Fella on Monday.

Scrolling is more complicated than it seems. My scroll update function is almost 100 lines of code. And I'm not even slowing it down as you approach the target position, like most implementations do (so it doesn't look as smooth).

Oooh interesting. Got any screenies to share? Are you using any 2D frameworks (Orthello, U2DEX, Tilemap systems etc) or coding everything from scratch?

That reminds me of another idea I've been prototyping few months back, also a top-down grid-based turn base strategy and has the same "each time you move enemy moves" thing going to keep it fast and responsive. Kinda like rogue-likes. Got the basic gameplay down but wasn't sure if I was really having fun or not, definitely needs a lot more prototyping and experimenting to nail the balance. But its on backburner until my current big boy is done

I'm still picking at my French Revolution simulator.

I'm getting pulled in two different directions what I want to do with it. Generally I want it to be quite sandbox, like a Paradox game or Dwarf Fortress, where you can go down different tracks, the main one being trying to become the next ruler of France (or see the restoration through if you swing that way), but also alternative tracks like become the ArchBishop of Paris, or build a commercial/criminal empire with whatever your profession is. I'm also planning a set of NPCs the player is in competition with, vying for the same main positions (as opposed to spawned or quest AI who are just there as disposable fodder).

But a part of me would like to still have some storytelling elements and something to actually do as you're walking around the streets of 1780s Paris. The player is going to be able to walk or ride horseback around town, deal with spawned AI on the streets, enter buildings (with procedurally generated interiors & stats, possibly missions), and have dialogs with NPCs.

There are a few paradigms here. For a game like Hardwar, there's missions you do for a guy that take you through a story, but on the side you're doing Elite-like sandbox trading. There are games where you do short mission threads, most of which for their own sake, but some of which add up to a story, like GTA (old and new), X3, Skyrim even. And there are roguelikes where the missions themselves are randomized and sandbox, but there are some story points (or bosses) and you're making general progress towards something, like oldschool Rogues, Pixel Dungeon I'm playing these days, Transcendence, FTL. Or even more in the sandbox direction, but with events that tend to add up to tell their own story, is something like Dwarf Fortress. I haven't played Sunless Sea yet, but I'm curious what it does. I could see some mission or narrative structure to get the player started on some otherwise sandboxy tracks too like the way Skyrim missions are structured to get people into different factions and making progress in them. Like are you a farmer planting wheat, a baker buying it and setting up shops all over town, a priest wooing rich parishoners, a bandit, a police or soldier keeping the peace in the erupting chaos, a noble trying to keep his head, a sans-culottes trying to take it ... Whatever you are, getting a reputation among your peers for doing what you do well. I know I want something, and I'm tempted by different approaches, but I need to find the right one for this game. I have to say, though, since no marketer is looking over my shoulder, I'm tempted to go the Dwarf Fortress route and let people go to into as much depth as they want to go down (beyond the simple Elite model where you just pick Solider, Trader, or Pirate). Then it's "scored" like a Paradox game. I mean, there's not an absolute score, but there's a relative score of reputation from your peers, along with maybe money, and the basic game is to improve your position better than when you started. But otherwise the game isn't going to tell you exactly what to do.

Of course, aside from the design debate is the question of game mechanics. Sometimes I feel like, when I'm writing down my ideas, I'm starting to derail from thinking about what the game is going to actually be doing each frame.

Edit: Image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	2098
    Last edited by demagogue; 27th Feb 2015 at 06:41.
    What do you see when you turn out the lights? / I can't tell you, but I know that it's mine. (J. Lennon)

Level 10,000 achieved
    The environment in that scene, dema, is that from some old history book or did you make it? Because if you did then holy shit well done, that's amazing. Game sounds very ambitious, looking forward to seeing more of it.

About Sunless Sea, it lets you choose your character's backstory and his goal in life at the start of each game. It also gives you the option to leave it clouded in mystery, and just take things as they come.

RE: video editors. I tried using Blender but it's indeed quite fiddly, and even doing simple things seems to be a bit of a hassle. Went ahead and bought the Adobe bundle. Premiere Elements is alright! I even like some of the things it does better than how Premiere CC does them. And it lets you encode and upload straight to YouTube, which takes a bit of extra work out of the process.

Moderator and Priest
    Considering the huge, huge, HUGE advances Blender has made over the last couple of years, I figured it was high time I get around to learning it's ins and outs in a big, bad way.

Also, I'm snowed in, and don't have anything else to do.

So I hit up BlenderCookie, downloaded about 17GB of tutorials, and started making my way through them.

Here's an airplane.

Honestly, I'm amazed they're giving it away for free.

Got any screenies to share?
    Uh, I guess I can do that. Keep in mind that this is strictly placeholder art - the sprites were literally created with the idea of "how can I get something recognizable in the least amount of time".

Some boars are approaching our intrepid heroes. The berserker stands ready to meet their charge, with the javelin-wielding Kern behind, and the archer Ranger a bit further away.

Below each unit is their health; the bottom boar has four maximum health, and has already taken a point of damage (represented by an X through one of his red health icons).

Above each unit are their active defenses. The boars can only parry, so each has a single parry icon above their head. The Ranger can only dodge, and so has a dodge icon. The Kern can parry and dodge, so has both icons. Lastly, the berserker, carrying a shield, and so can parry, block, and dodge. Each active defense can only be used once per round; some attacks cannot be defended by some defenses (e.g. you cannot parry arrows).

On the right side we have our heroes' orders. The red bar indicates their two current orders (the buttons below are for assigning them). The Ranger, at the top, is going to shoot, and then nock another arrow. (The top boar has a cyan "target" icon indicating that he's being targeted by the Ranger.) The Berserker is going to spend both rounds concentrating on parrying; that gives him an extra parry defense, which combined with his dodge and block, will prevent the boars from being able to harm him with their two attacks each. (Not very berzerkery I suppose.) The Kern is going to throw both of his remaining javelins in-hand at the closest target (i.e. no specific target is set). Ammo in-hand versus on person is shown to the right of each hero order icon in the right-hand bar; this shows that the Ranger has one arrow nocked and a lot more in his quiver, the berserker has four throwing axes stowed away, and the Kern has two javelins in-hand and another three on his back.

Here we're down to one boar with half his health. Notice on the left, we've got our big start turn button (which is yellow because no orders have been issued yet), a turn history which gives a text account of our battle so far, and a progress bar which moves during the turn.

Orders have been given. The play button turns green. That remaining boar - barely visible behind three targeting icons (two swords for melee attack orders, one arrow-in-target for the Ranger's ranged attack) is about to have a very bad day.

The boars are dead and we've zoomed out as our intrepid heroes path to enjoin perilous battle with some target dummies. Honestly, the boars can absolutely murder the party if you don't take them on carefully, but the target dummies can't even attack.

Are you using any 2D frameworks (Orthello, U2DEX, Tilemap systems etc) or coding everything from scratch?
    Scratch. I wonder if that's a bad idea? I admit I haven't researched any of the offerings at all.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 28th Feb 2015 at 03:04.

Incremental development just bit me again.

Basically I'm chunking as small as I can, and testing as frequently as I can. But very little is being built with later steps in mind. I mean, a lot of little basics are there. But most of the code is the bare minimum to get things working in the current build. Sometimes this is really good, like when I decided to change how levels would load just before that feature even went in. I'm certainly glad I hadn't gone very far down the original path. But other times I link code without remembering that it was created with simpler assumptions and needs to be reworked - especially in cases like level loading, which touches almost everything.

Pyrian, how long have you been doing GameDev for? It sounds like you're actually doing the right thing (iterative/agile devlopment) but maybe just like the experience and hindsight? Ever hear the adage "make games not engines?"

For me, I almost have the opposite problem where I tend to over-engineer systems in preparation "for the future" but the future either never comes, or changes significantly when I get to it. So I'm trying to make myself "think smaller," especially since I do have some hindsight from working on multiple games/engines and at least get the general direction right.

I'd highly recommend you read documentations for other Engines or game editors for games similar to what you doing (I researched NWN, Arcanum and Skyrim for RPGs). It will give you a ton of idea about high level design/functionality that works, and guide your small-scale design in that direction.

Though I will say, following the Unity's tutorials didn't work out so well. As soon as my game grew in size I had to undo a lot of the practices, particularly with input and level loading, as you noticed yourself.

Page 44 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4914192429343940414243444546474849545964697479848994 ... LastLast