TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364142434445464748495051566166717681869196 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2935

Thread: What are you making?

I love that sort of style - low poly, papercraft-y look.

Here's a couple of scenes I made a few months ago. Bit more simplistic than your stuff Renz, but still lots of fun to make:

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I love that sort of style - low poly, papercraft-y look.

Here's a couple of scenes I made a few months ago. Bit more simplistic than your stuff Renz, but still lots of fun to make:
    I wouldn't call that more simplistic. It's pretty damn good, and a much better example of the style than mine was.

Nicked, love the second pic, the color scheme just works with the low-poly!

Renz - thanks for the awesome feedback. Yea I am looking to hire a modeler for a more ongoing thing, but I will take any and all artistic input you give me; you know your stuff

Yea I've been messing with AO more but havent had chance to do full scene bake yet, takes ages. I can't do it in an outside program since my levels are made of modular bits assembled in Unity. Here is my latest writeup with several screenies of my current experiments.

Btw, do you have a link to the papery detail map you used? Mine looks a bit like ass but not bad when less strong:

EDIT: Interestingly, I just saw this on kickstarter. Quite a similar look to what you described.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 16th Mar 2015 at 05:12.

Moderator and Priest
    Here you go. I included three paper textures, a grungemap I'd use sparingly to add some differentiation, and a PSD/PNG for my little gravestones to serve as a working example. I also threw in the entire catacombs model for you to check out.

Depending on the colors and the size of the object, I'd vary the transparency of the paper layers and play with the blends to get the look I wanted. From what I saw in your screenshot, your wrinkles are too fine, too obviously repeating, and too bold. It doesn't look like paper, more like stucco. You'll also want to add the tiniest amount of jitter to your models so they're not made up of perfectly flat planes. You'll need to up the poly count on your models by just a bit to do this and make it look good, but you're pretty low poly as is, so it shouldn't hurt performance at all.

Whew. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. Hell, I might end up trying something out for you myself once I get through watching this character modelling tutorial.

Awesome, thanks, I'll check it out. Did you make the tex yourself or got them somewehre? Do you have original credit?

Also I realize my screen brightness got messed up last night so the screenshot above was actually way way darker than I thought, lol. Here's re-pasting that. Still first detail texture I had, but less strong. And I think too much red. Thoughts?

Moderator and Priest
    Your crease details are still way too fine. Think of it like a piece of construction paper you ball up real quick, then unfold. The wrinkles won't be nearly so small.

Also, it looks like you've normalmapped it. The only way you can keep it from looking too plasticy is to make the normal really, really slight. To the point its almost flat, and only acts to subtly highlight the wrinkles. Otherwise, you'll end up with something that looks like this...

...more than paper.

And lastly, think of it like you're making a complicated model or diorama. Everything isn't going to be made out of papier mache, so you don't want wrinkles all over the place, only where they're appropriate. Think of it like a cross between this...

and this...

...or papier mache, cardboard, and construction paper. Your characters will be the one thing that benefits the most from it. Your environments? They'll be a mix and match. Make the object look like what'll it make the most sense to make it out of if you were building it out of these materials.

As for your lighting, it looks good if your bridge is in red alert, like your zeppelin is crashing. But under normal operating procedures, aka everyday lighting, you'll rarely want to stray too far away from the desaturated end of the color spectrum. Try to make it so that you've got the hint of color coming from your main lights, and let your ambient lighting do the heavier color work on the bolder end of the spectrum. Like that first diorama image? It looks almost like his streetlights are yellow-white, but the ambient color gives everything a greenish yet (there's also some blue in the mix there on the higher end of the image, but I'm going with the major colors here).

But as with everything, the end result all depends on taste. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as one rule you gotta live by. It's more about what looks good, and fits the mood.

edit: Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure those textures came from CGTextures.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 16th Mar 2015 at 16:42.

I seem to have a case of polish-itis (or tune-itis?). I desperately need to finish this tutorial so I can start getting this game in front of people (it's too different to just drop on anyone without explanation). But with almost every step in the tutorial I get distracted by something that could be a wee bit better.

Random coding confession: C# switch statement's "inability" to carry from one case block to another has saved me several times recently.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 16th Mar 2015 at 18:24.

Renz, thanks for putting some much time and thought into your feedback, I really appreciate it.

About creases - yea they are way smaller than yours, but I actually liked that better when I tried both. It almost feels like going between paper and maybe stucco/clay like in your picture, or even something entirely arbitrary. I thought it was more interesting for the Noir feel (tho contrast is still too strong). Let's assume I'm not aiming for paper or anything in particular and you just saw the screenshots out of the blue without context - what do you think of that approach?

Oh and yea, it actually is a warning red light (the parts are all busted, it's the "shit went down" room that establishes the initial call to action heh). Good tip on ambient, tho unity has only one global ambient per scene so I cant really tweak it per-room and need to rely on local lights.

I realize it's really a matter of taste as you said, but I've become rather insecure about that since the current reception shows my taste is objectively shit :| But if I ever need to learn that, the sooner the better.

(also realized I haven't set up my static props with the right tags and they were getting double-lit by lightmap and realtime, which is yet another reason why all my old shots look like ass heh)

I'm still mulling the potential of straight-up cartoony just because it seems a bit of an easier/safer approach (even tho I don't like it as much).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I seem to have a case of polish-itis (or tune-itis?). I desperately need to finish this tutorial so I can start getting this game in front of people (it's too different to just drop on anyone without explanation). But with almost every step in the tutorial I get distracted by something that could be a wee bit better.
    Lol i get that all the time. "Need to just test this new guard pattern. Oh wait that pipe is a bit out of place..." - 2hrs of level redesinging ensues

There are some fantastic scrunched paper textures on cgtextures: http://cgtextures.com/

Look under Paper > Crumpled

Holy cripes tutorials are a pain in the butt. I'm sick to death of just clicking through mine to test the later parts. Next time I'm making a short instructional video and calling it a day.

Administrator
    Or even simpler...

Moderator and Priest
    You know what I've discovered is the hardest thing in the world to do right? It's not faces. It's not tiny mechanical details. It's hands. Freaking hands.

It's nowhere near done yet, it looks a little too old man hands for my taste, and it took me at least 3 hours to get to this point. But hands, damnit. HANDS!

On the plus side, my little character doesn't look quite so creepy anymore. Besides, you know, the clawish old man hands on a cartoon character thing.

And Yak, I'll answer you here later on tonight. When I'm not obsessed with hands.

One thing I've been experimenting with re: sculpting is roughing out the shapes with metaballs/capsules/whathaveyou to get the proportions right, then converting that to mesh and sculpting it. That process might make hands a bit easier.

Moderator and Priest
    That's what I did. The tutorial I'm doing wanted me to start from a low poly UV sphere, and sculpt everything out using Dynamic Topology (which is really handy). I couldn't do it, so I watched another bunch of tutorials aside those and learned how to edge model the face, and box model the hand.

The hand is sculpted to hell and back, but I did the face mostly the old fashioned way, only using my sculpt tools to adjust and define bits and pieces, and sharpen up the edges of the lips.

Moderator and Priest
    I did it!

This was not easy. My fingers ended up being overly long, but that's because I went stupid and sculpted most of it in ortho view, and the fingers are a little flat looking on the inside. Other than that, it turned out surprisingly well for my first real hard sculpt.

Next up: a jacket.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very nice! I like all the creases and details in the palm. The thumb still looks a bit too small tho. I think the length of it is fine but it needs to be thicker.

Moderator and Priest
    The thumb does need to be fattened up again. I could do that pretty quick tomorrow. The fingers, though, are the right thickness, they're just too long. It doesn't look like it at first glance, but if you look at the distance between the creases on your own fingers, and compare them to what I've got above, you'll see they're spaced out far too long. That's what makes it look freaky.

I built this by looking at my hand. I'd have to stretch out my fingers by about a 3rd of an inch to match that.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I think the length of it is fine but it needs to be thicker.
    I hear that's what Duck says all the time as well, Renz.

Moderator and Priest
    Duck needs to shut the hell up! If he's got complaints, he can say them to my face!

Glade Raid (working title) has a demo/tutorial! Three levels and a walkthrough of the basic commands. Give it a try if you're brave! Please excuse the "programmer art"...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...GladeRaid.html

Level 10,000 achieved
    The tutorial made most of it clear, and the interface is very slick! I died pretty fast in the first proper level though. Not clear about whether I need to nock the second guy's javelins, and can he attack melee? Also not really clear on how far you can move a unit during a turn.

Thanks for trying it out, henke!
    The tutorial made most of it clear, and the interface is very slick!
    Thank you!

I died pretty fast in the first proper level though.
    Not as fast as I died in Stilt Fella. Difficulty always seems to be an issue for me. I feel like making a tactical game where you can just click "attack" and win is missing the point and the fun.

Things to know that will help with the second level: The WoodKern is faster than any of the enemies if he's just moving, so he can kite really easily. Nobody can dodge while in mud or water. The javelins destroy the shields, which are basically the only protection the enemy's have against arrows or while in the mud/water.

BTW, you can "navigate" the levels by pressing "n" for next or "p" for previous (doesn't work in the opening box, though).

Not clear about whether I need to nock the second guy's javelins, and can he attack melee?
    He carries three javelins and a short spear in hand. So, he can throw three javelins before needing to reload - but he's only got three more stowed. (At some point he'll have the ability to pick up thrown javelins, but I haven't coded that yet.) He can attack in melee without having to switch weapons, but he only has one attack. Very much a skirmisher.

Also not really clear on how far you can move a unit during a turn.
    Hmm, yes. Adding an X-Com/Shadowrun style coloring of how far you can go is on my to-do list and maybe should get moved up in priority. Right now you can tell how far your first order will take you by the color of the footprint path, so you can drag that around to get a look.

Normal move is 5 per round which is 10 total per turn if you go all-out. The WoodKern gets 6/12. You move half speed if you nock an arrow, change weapons, or use an additional defense (the order buttons not mentioned in the tutorial). Most terrain will slow you down, however; low bushes or gravel cost 1.5 move, most other things cost 2.

Just gave it a quick play and it's pretty neat for a first playable, feels well thought out!

The thing it desparately need (that you are probably aware of) is user feedback. Like when I click on "attack" I need to select a target, but nothing inidcates that. Likewise, it wasn't clear that if I move more than 2 squares it rolls-over to next 2-step cycle. I also did not realize that I had to equip a sword before I could use it, thus wasting a turn. Also range indicators, button tooltips, hit chance indicators, damage numbers , "DODDGED" message (is that the Foot icon? ), etc. The combat feels a bit too fast without knowing what is going on.

But, as I said, you probably know all this, but those were the first few things that jumped at me.

(also I accidentally closed the tutorial and didnt know how to bring it back up, so probably why I missed out on all that).

EDIT: yea going thorough tutorial now so it explains more stuff, but the indicators are still a must. another confusing thing is being able to move even when you already queued up 2 actions, but it doesnt show up in the action list. I get the underlying logic (either Move-As-Action by a lot, or Move-Not-As-Action for a little) but it can be confusing to less strategy-inclined players.

and range indicators for attack/movement would also be nice.

EDIT2: I do love how fighting dodging actually makes yours unit move on the grid, don't think i've seen any TBS do that before
    Last edited by Yakoob; 19th Mar 2015 at 20:18.

Since I'm deep in the re-topology mines on this guy, I decided to take a break to try my own hand at sculpting a hand.

Result:

Moderator and Priest
    That's awesome. It's cool that you're using about the same techniques I am, just about 15 times faster. Watching a video of me sculpting, even if it were sped up considerably, would be about incredibly boring. I tend to poke, prod, do, and redo a lot before I finally commit to something.

Though that thing you were doing at the very beginning when you were banging out your base shape. What is that? I gotta know.

Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364142434445464748495051566166717681869196 ... LastLast