TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 271217222732374243444546474849505152576267727782879297 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2590

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Just gave it a quick play and it's pretty neat for a first playable, feels well thought out!
    Thanks for checking it out! I appreciate the feedback.

(also I accidentally closed the tutorial and didnt know how to bring it back up, so probably why I missed out on all that).
    Ah, yes. That could really use a confirmation dialog box, at least, and the lack of a main menu means that it isn't obvious how to restart (just press 'r', lol - someday someone's going to try to use that as a shortcut key to "reload" and get really pissed at me).

Like when I click on "attack" I need to select a target, but nothing inidcates that.
    It's allowed, but you don't really have to; they'll just attack the closest visible enemy if you don't.

Also range indicators, button tooltips...
    Definitely on the to-do list.

...hit chance indicators...
    Everything hits. I was originally planning to make everything have a chance of failing, however small, but I'm increasingly thinking that the game is fine without much RNG going on (pretty much just dodge direction and some AI decisions).

The combat feels a bit too fast without knowing what is going on.
    True. Especially when a real brawl breaks out. I always have to refer to the Turn History afterwards, lol.

another confusing thing is being able to move even when you already queued up 2 actions, but it doesnt show up in the action list. I get the underlying logic (either Move-As-Action by a lot, or Move-Not-As-Action for a little) but it can be confusing to less strategy-inclined players.
    If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears, because honestly this part drives me nuts too, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I mean, if you start by setting a destination, it makes perfect sense for a move order to get added to your queue, right? And if you cancel that move, the destination gets canceled with it. But I always want to set a destination and then use it for half-move actions, which annoyingly means I end up creating the move, then the reload/defense order, then go back and cancel the move. Bleah.

I do think that adding the movement range indicators will inherently help clarify things like the orders which allow half moves. You'll be able to see that right away.

EDIT2: I do love how fighting dodging actually makes yours unit move on the grid, don't think i've seen any TBS do that before
    A little chaos makes everything more fun. Thanks again for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Though that thing you were doing at the very beginning when you were banging out your base shape. What is that? I gotta know.
    Looks like Metaballs.

Yup, metaballs, like I'd said in the earlier post.

Back in the day they were good for faking fluids, and they're great in a sculpting workflow now.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, awesome vid Faf. I haven't done any sculpting in Blender yet, but it looks like fun.

Moderator and Priest
    It is. I think sculpting is a lot easier to get into than regular modelling, since you're not quite as "bound by the rules", so to speak. When you're working with topology, there are certain rules you have to abide by get the optimal effect. You have to keep the way everything flows in mind, always aware of how it should be put together. Moreso than learning the basics of whatever program you want to use, this is the thing that takes the longest to become accustomed to.

With sculpting, especially when using stuff like dynatopo in Blender, or voxels in 3DCoat, you don't have to worry about anything but how it looks. You dab at it, you get what you want, and move on to the next thing. There's obviously a lot of skill involved, but it's not quite so technical.

Speaking of sculpting voxels, I saw that Voxel Farm can be licensed for $20 now. In a nutshell, it procedurally generates a world according to rules you set, then you can walk around in it and sculp & texture it from there.

I believe with the cheap license you don't get sourcecode, so no game making, but you get the editor to build your own world, then I think you can export it as a textured polygon mesh at the end. I may get it just for the walking sim & building for its own sake.

Edit. Correction, apparently you can't export with the cheapest license yet. So I guess it's good for just building things, taking screenshots of them, and being a walking sim in the meantime. But apparently exporting to Unity and UE4 is coming eventually. That would really speed up the world making part of making a game. You're sculpting your whole level in-game, in a real world like base already made for you. Then you make the rest of it, the gameplay and UI, in Unity or UE4. That makes it actually a pretty powerful tool.
    Last edited by demagogue; 23rd Mar 2015 at 23:36.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears, because honestly this part drives me nuts too, but I'm not sure what to do about it.
    Honestly i think your best bet might be separating movement from the action queue and giving it its own queue of sorts (this way you can both schedule moves and attacks even over multiple turns)

One example could be xcom. Iirc there you can either move within a small range and have one action left, or move in a far range but have no actions left. If you use an action first you still have the option to move in a small range.

In your case you could even have 3 different move ranges (2 actions, 1 action, no actions). And if you make a really long walk path ur guy will keep walking it automatically at varying speeds depending on how many actions you queue that turn. You can alter the footstep color (total path vs path this turn) so that the player instantly sees that, as he queus more actions, his available walk path for the turn decreases.

That's almost exactly what I am doing, lol. Obviously I need to make the options more clear.

Hey, what's a good synonym for allure, except for men? I don't want charming or charismatic. Magnetism? Beefcake? It's an upgrade for the berserker. I can't decide what to name it.

Chakat sex pillow
    It pretty much is charm or charisma. You can use suave, perhaps. Suave berserkers, there's an image.

Hunky.

verbose douchebag
    Wantefaction.

Just plain 'attraction' then. Even though you didn't like it, charisma has the advantage of being the rpg trope standard. Another interesting one on the synonym list (you did look up synonyms for allure already I hope) was beguile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    That's almost exactly what I am doing, lol. Obviously I need to make the options more clear.
    Really? Hmm I guess putting it on the same action queue just made it more confusing for me. A lot of mechanics really do boil down to how well you present them to the player, something I'm learning from my own alpha testing too.

Speaking of which, I just got done with all the interviews for modelers/writers. If I have to look at one more art portfolio... @_@

Many beginner artists contrive awkward poses to hide the hands. I copy the pose and redo the hands and weapons:

I started a channel on YouTube for Let's Plays and it's been keeping me busy for the past few months. I'm playing Might and Magic VI and RimWorld right now with hopes to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution after I finish Might and Magic VI.

I'd also like to mention if you guys have anything you'd like featured on YouTube, I'd be happy to do that. As well, if you want to sit down with me and discuss your work that'd be fine as well. Just note, I don't have many subscribers yet.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well have I got a hot tip for you!

I tried making a boar "Large", so it occupies every hex adjacent to its central location. Everything was fine until it reached melee combat, at which point it decided to beat an adjacent unit to death - itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion21g View Post
    I started a channel on YouTube for Let's Plays and it's been keeping me busy for the past few months. I'm playing Might and Magic VI and RimWorld right now with hopes to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution after I finish Might and Magic VI.

I'd also like to mention if you guys have anything you'd like featured on YouTube, I'd be happy to do that. As well, if you want to sit down with me and discuss your work that'd be fine as well. Just note, I don't have many subscribers yet.
    Shame you didn't start a few games earlier. Might and Magic 3 - 5 are the high point of the series imo. 7 is pretty awesome as well.
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:50.

So building the second character for Thing 2 has maybe gotten a little out of hand...

New version of Glade Raid is up! I've also made it a thread of its own.

Well, not quite my making per-se, but Karaski is now undergoing a major graphical overhaul Check out the new screenies

Looks good. What are your current thoughts on the character models?

THey're getting redone, on schedule two weeks from now. Also, my writer has been hired by a bigger studio and will no longer be able to do the re-writes in the timeframe I need them, which means I need to find a new writer again, ugh >< But congrats to him, at least I got a lot of good feedback from him so far.

Oh and finally got a chance to start replacing the assets ingame:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Those screenies look amazing. Did you end up moving over to Unity 5, or are you still in 4?

From what I've seen of 5 (from the Unity 5 videos Underworld Ascendent has been releasing every week or so), it looks like some impressive stuff has been added.

Using only real lights (as in physical objects that emit light) to light a level, Physically Based Rendering Textures that brings things to life etc. Really impressive.

Video from Sunday if your curious: Here.

Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 271217222732374243444546474849505152576267727782879297 ... LastLast