TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394445464748495051525354596469747984899499 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2594

Thread: What are you making?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Also, you should definitely increase the speed, it felt pretty slow and sluggish.
    That's not for lack of trying! The speed is just determined by the torque of the wheel, there's no extra force pushing it forward, it's just rotation and friction against the surface below. But no matter how much I increase the torque, turn down the drag, or increase the friction I still can't get the thing to go faster than it goes in the current build!

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke
    The speed is just determined by the torque of the wheel, there's no extra force pushing it forward
    Sounds like you've already got the answer to your problem. You need something acting as an engine, some force to propel the wheel forward from behind.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Not sure I understand that. Why can't it just propel itself forward? I mean, it is propelling itself forward in the current build, but only up to a certain speed.

edit: maybe applying more downwards force as it speeds up might help? I think the issue is that it's not getting enough contact with the ground once it reaches a certain speed, since the mesh for the wheel is kinda rough(I can't make it too smooth or the Mesh Collider refuses to use it). Need to try this when I get home from work.

edit, much later: figured out what the issue was. The physics have default MaxAngularVelocity value which needs to be cranked up if you want things to rotate faster. However it's set quite low for a reason, the physics can behave a bit wildly if you crank it up too much. I managed to double the speed of the tyre but it also made for a quite bumpy ride!
    Last edited by henke; 1st Jun 2015 at 10:57.

This is some demonic unicycle version of QWOP isn't it?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Not sure I understand that. Why can't it just propel itself forward? I mean, it is propelling itself forward in the current build, but only up to a certain speed.
    I figured you needed some weight and force behind the wheel as well as some traction. Seems like you've got it fixed though.

But...

(I can't make it too smooth or the Mesh Collider refuses to use it
    Can you use something like a lower poly collision model to act as a stand-in for the mesh collider? It'll be invisible, basically surrounding your main model, but the engine will do all its physics calculations based off it. The reason I ask is because the wheel (and eventually robot) I'm making for you is going to be much higher poly than the one you've got now.

There's also some unity assets that implement a third party physics completely bypassing unity's that might be worth a try. I've used bullet before myself (not in unity ) and aside from some setup overhead, an quote fond of it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Can you use something like a lower poly collision model to act as a stand-in for the mesh collider?
    Yup, that's what I'm doing! Will give your tyre a spin when I get home!

Damn, that sucks, Faf. Especially if all that cool character animation was lost.

I haven't backed any of my stuff up in months either so this is valuable reminder for the rest of us, if nothing else.
    Thankfully, it was the infamous Seagate firmware failure, and I was able to use a Raspberry Pi debug cable to serial into the HD microcontroller and reset it, and all of my stuff was still there. Backed it all up, bought a WD hard drive and put it all on there, and have retired that Seagate, since this was actually the second time it's done this to me (first time I took it a data recovery place and they charged me $640 to get it back up and running, but apparently didn't flash the firmware that was supposed to fix the fault. This time it cost me around thirty bucks for the debug cable and a screwdriver set with torx bits, and $60 for the new drive.)

Moderator and Priest
    Yup, that's what I'm doing! Will give your tyre a spin when I get home!
    You're going to be looking at it to see if you like the style at least. It's WAY too high poly to be used in Unity as of yet.

Not that anybody will care much except me. The game engine I licensed in 2011 (with perpetual updates) just went belly up for all intents and purposes.

http://www.terathon.com/ <-- you can see on the lower right hand side "no longer available for licensing"

The engine was pretty fantastic and made some awesome leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. I've just been patiently watching it grow while I find the time to design my game on paper first (amidst work and going back to grad school). Well the guy who designed it pulled the plug on the engine last month.

He wanted to build a game off it that was supposed to be released on Hallowe'en in 2013. I already paid him my 10 bucks to help development along, but he started up a kickstarter recently to finish it that went absolutely nowhere. I think that got him all butthurt and he decided that "managing the forums and maintaining the engine is taking up too much of my time I could be spending on completing the game" and so he wont be selling any more licenses or rolling out any updates. This despite the fact that many of his licensees that have been with him for a very long time offered to help with the forums and the support requests.

The really annoying thing is his game is not going to sell well even if he finishes it and it's amazing. It's basically a 90's style twitch shooter. I have access to the engine, but if I were to recruit friends to work on it with me they can't use the software, because it's in my EULA that every person using the software needs a license. And he's not selling anymore. Plus the next round of hardware or even driver updates could break something in the engine as well. So I'm basically on my own, and in a really dick move, he locked the forum, so it's read only now. WHY he did that I have no idea other than the aforementioned butthurtedness. So a bunch of us started an unofficial forum to help each other out, which has mostly turned to people complaining about the dick move and jumping ship to either Unity, UE4, or going to Godot for an open source solution.

I don't see how it's going to go anywhere from this point, at least I'm only out a few hundred dollars I spent 4 years ago.

Which is okay because I'll be too busy developing hardware for my Masters to focus on a video game.

Volitions Advocate - that's a shame, i never used C4 but it always looked like a really solid engine, the only real "indie" competitor to Unity/UDK/CryEngine out there that was close to their level.

On my end, I did I mentioned we redid all our characters on top of the other substantial graphical overhauls? Cause, like, we did...

Very nice!

Moderator and Priest
    Man, that's awesome. Makes me feel bad, too. Your guy did 19 characters, facial animations and all, in two weeks, while I've been futzing around with one in the same amount of time.

Goes to show all those naysayers on Steam Greenlight that complained about "teh grafix sux" have no vision. I'm not saying this is better than what you had before koob, because I loved the style, but this will be very nice when it's all finished. Naysayers be damned.

Joystick is painted and essentially done:

Got it working with SNES, but not with Genesis. My first approach for Genesis was to have the Arduino do all the work. However, when the Arduino was powered by the Genesis, the select line wasn't toggling any more . My alternative solution is just to reproduce the 3-button circuit (it's super simple), but I need to do that as a separate joystick. If it's hooked up in parallel with the Arduino, it does annoying things with the voltage levels (even if the board itself isn't powered).

... in other news, I ordered parts for the Genesis joystick project

Moderator and Priest
    Considering the size of the thing, have you considered pairing the Arduino with a Raspberry Pi, and making a portable arcade machine out of it?

Not... really. If I packed the Pi inside the box, then it would be difficult to connect the joystick to a computer that wasn't the Pi itself (e.g. to play Windows games). And I'd have to drill more ports.

Nevermind I'm generally just going to be using it at home, and all my displays already have computers connected to them.

I am attempting to narrate a video about Glade Raid's leveling system. It isn't going well. Funny how one's voice sounds so different from the outside. If anybody needs voice acting of a droning college professor lecturing a classroom full of sleeping students, I'm your man!

Maybe I'll just go with subtitles.

EDIT: Also, my new mic sucks. I didn't really realize how good my last mic was until my toddler broke it.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 13th Jun 2015 at 12:29.

In the meantime, while E3 is happening, I finished the revamp of all my GUI, phew...

Beta Testing commencing... real soon

Is Dunabe pronounced 'dun-ayb' or 'dun-uh-bee'?

The latter! Going with a Polish pronunciation if it were spelled "Dunaby"

And RE the currency, I gotta replace it with something unique that's just a standin. Didn't want to do just "crowns" or "gold" since it's used so overused.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    And RE the currency, I gotta replace it with something unique that's just a standin. Didn't want to do just "crowns" or "gold" since it's used so overused.
    Going with something "overused" lets people quickly understand what it is and is used for without having a tutorial/manual entry. Even if you do find something "unique" that fits the setting, people are still going to mentally translate any kind of currency into "monies I can use to buy stuff". Pick a name that fits the setting (to help worldbuilding), but do not be afraid to use something another game/book/movie/real world place has used.

Maybe use a different font for "Loot" and "Items" my only criticism. Just to go for a more professional style look.

Beyond that, the screenies look much better .

Some new promo art....

Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394445464748495051525354596469747984899499 ... LastLast