TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 56 of 116 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364146515253545556575859606166717681869196101106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2900

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Neat, but definitely needs a bit of cutting, music and captions/VO explaining what is actually going on I think.
    Yes, of course. That's just almost-raw footage. There's actually a sample of all the elements I'm planning on having in the trailer here, but it's still very rough, and I'm replacing all the in-game footage so I didn't see much point in editing it further. Hopefully I'll have a full draft trailer today.

Ugh I really need to get into the habit of recording vids/GIFs of my games and uploading them frequently, not doing that probably chunk of why I struggle with attracting people.
    It might help, yes. But attracting people is very difficult in the indie crush these days.

But I just sooo hate the process for some reason; I think it's my inner perfectionist I need to get over and just say fuck it, record, upload, and worry not.
    Honestly, I hate almost every aspect of game development that isn't designing and/or programming. Took me a long time to get to the point where I could throw together a video pretty quickly.

BTW have you heard of GifCam? It makes recording game gifs super easy, you should check it out!
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    There's actually a sample of all the elements I'm planning on having in the trailer here,
    That's good, you should keep it as an extended trailer or gameplay showcase, but I'd suggest also making a much shorter version (max 1min) for your official version. At least that's what I've always read from other devs as being the perfect length.

That particular one is definitely overstuffed (who wants to watch me miss my clicks?), but my latest version is only a little bit shorter. I'll probably still trim a few seconds here and there (and it's not like I expect people to watch the entire 30 second credits/forest fire sequence, although Glade Raid fire is pretty darn hypnotic), but I think it's a mistake to get hung up on the 1 minute mark. A trailer needs to be good more than it needs to be short; sure, you'll lose some viewers by the 1 minute mark, but a 1 minute trailer loses all its viewers.

The trailers I like express a reasonably clear story with an open end - i.e. some kind of cliffhanger to invite the player in - while also showing gameplay (or cinematized gameplay in the AAA space) that fits into the narrative while telling it's own story. Really simple indie games can accomplish all this is 1 minute, and that's great, but I don't aspire to that; anything in that time length for Glade Raid would be a teaser, which is not a bad idea, but I wouldn't lead with it. Complex games with 1 minute trailers - or even 1:40 trailers (hello FTL) - have a bad tendency to be overcut, incoherent, and under-dramatized.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldron View Post
    I'm happy that this thread is still going strong!
    Same here. More forums need threads like this in my opinion. It inspires others to go and do projects of their own.

And did my first update of my Shadowrun Returns UGC in a fair while.

Features fully functional stealth (in the new mission). Oh but Shadowrun Returns does not have stealth in it, I hear you say.

Well I added it in . Took a while to do (via use of triggers and events), but I got it working eventually.

2 quests left to be put in, and then episode 2 is done.

Remind me: is that something we can play yet?

Here's my first draft Greenlight description. More than a little wordy, I'm afraid...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glade Raid is a simultaneous-turn-based tactical fantasy RPG, with a dynamic narrative featuring many difficult choices on a journey over a randomized campaign map.

Combat emphasizes outmaneuvering your opponents; luck and attrition are not as important as they are in most RPG's. Attacks automatically hit, but combatants can automatically block, parry, or dodge incoming attacks a limited number of times per round. Succeed by negating defenses (such as breaking shields to prevent blocking or luring enemies into mud to prevent dodging) or simply piling more attacks on a victim than it can defend against. However, a beleaguered opponent can increase its defense count in lieu of attacking, and enemies are likely to focus their attacks on less defended units, so watch out!

Environment simulation and modification. For example, if you set a fire (by spell or certain weapons), the fire generates smoke and sparks that drift in the ambient wind. Sparks can spread the fire or set new ones, smoke blocks line of sight. You can use spells to direct the wind at your foes, potentially setting them on fire. Once burning, units have a turn or two to get to a water feature before they start taking damage. Fires (terrain and/or unit) can also be extinguished by a variety of ice and water spells. Fires sometimes spontaneously go out, but mostly they burn until their fuel is exhausted, turning grass, bushes, and trees into char and finally ash.

Animus spell system turns the usual concept of mana on its head! Instead of consuming mana to cast spells, each spell that has been cast provides spell-powering Animus of one of five types for the duration of its cooldown. This leads to a constantly evolving "hand" of available spells, as each casting both locks itself and unlocks further magic.

Fixed party of four characters, each with four upgrade paths to choose from as you level up. Find or buy items to further empower your characters, but be careful! Many items have built-in drawbacks as well. Each character's relationship with each other, the world they travel through, and the over-arching narrative, evolves over time based on your choices.

Glade Raid is a mostly one-man labor of love to create exciting new game mechanics. Notable inspirations include the tales of iron age Ireland (especially the Táin Bó Cúailnge) and FTL.

It certainly is something you can play right now. Whenever I post the updates, it publishes those to the Shaowrun Returns Steam workshop (which is built into the game itself).

For example:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=169992583

Above is the UGC in it's current form, which includes the revamped version of episode 1 (fully done) and episode 2 (75% done). As long as you have Shadowrun Returns installed, you should be able to click on "Subscribe" and you should be good to go. You may need to subscribe to a few additional packs as well (I have all of that outlined in the Troubleshooting section on the above page).

Another of my sporadic updates to Wheelbound: https://nickdablin.wordpress.com/201...rvival-system/

I've added a new survival system to add tension and give you more of a reason to explore. Your chair has a finite supply of medical gel that keeps you alive. If it runs out, the life support fails and you die. So now there are collectible health kits and upgrades scattered throughout the world.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nice, I'd been wondering how things were progressing with Wheelbound. Some cool environmental art there!

I made a little free browser game for the kicks. Check it out!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Highscore: 81 seconds of night!

All that Flappy Golf has prepared me well for leading a flock of ravens.

verbose douchebag
    I got to beta test this gem in my own front room. Compelling stuff. The movement of the birds is fantastic.

Ya, I was particular happy with the "game feel" and the sense of a growing cloud of followers Also pleasantly surprised how much people enjoyed the darkgrimm aesthetic, wasn't sure if it translated from my vision or would be received well.

And my best was just a wee bit over a minute. Really could have used a scoreboard, but I wanted to move on. Just a little design experiment, hope to make more of these before jumping into another exhausting 2-year project.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm currently taking part in the Idle Thumbs forums' Wizard Jam. Starting last Saturday I have 2 weeks to make a videogame, which I've decided will be a Burnout Paradise prequel called In Search Of Paradise. You can follow my devlog right here!

VROOM VROOM!

Currently attempting to port my Bipolar Game source code over to Linux.

The pain, the pain.

Ouch. I was never so brave, even with Unity.

On my end, working on new free browser game experiment! Early prototypes with placeholder arty

Last edited by Yakoob; 12th May 2016 at 16:26.

I made a Linux build of Glade Raid without any problems. I'm told it just worked. ...I didn't test it myself...

Level 10,000 achieved
    How my game is coming along:

I like the story bit, but what's the core gameplay? ....Environments seem a little dry ahahaha sorry I couldn't help it...

It's got the spirit of '76, Interstate '76, that is.

yea definitely has the Intersate 76 vibe, especially if you keep the graphics simple. I'm not digging the specular metalic shine and overall darkness as much, tho (in case it is an art direction you're aiming for).

Keep the simple look. That's my vote. Just needs more gameplay behind it. Like a goal of some sort.

Chakat sex pillow
    But there is a goal. You're looking for paradise. Paradise is rusted hulks of old cars and sand sieving through their metal skeletons and magic cacti shattering into fragments of unremembered dreams.

Do I detect a faint note of Kentucky Route Zero in there, or is that my imagination?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks guys. The game is progressing nicely. I now have a first playable alpha made. Anyone wanna test it, get in touch.

Interstate 76 is definitely one of the major inspirations. And yes, Sulph, KRZ was on my mind when I set up the gas station cinematic cams and dialogue system.

you should make the game multiplayer, and call it 2 Tickets to Paradise

Page 56 of 116 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364146515253545556575859606166717681869196101106 ... LastLast