TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 81 of 118 FirstFirst ... 31364146515661667176777879808182838485869196101106111116 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2943

Thread: What are you making?

Bug of the day: My trigger pathway for "Mine detects player" was accidentally the same as "Player docks". This resulted in the Player automatically docking with the mine... Boom!

Sounds like the making of a new feature ;D

"Lasso mines"!

Little Alpha Teaser for the next HEADLINER

My Lost Legend RPG Demo has been updated.

(Link to Patreon and Updated Demo)
    https://www.patreon.com/lostlegendta...emursanknights

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nice looking teaser, Yakoob!

(except for the visible mouse cursor! tsk tsk)

In "all those other dev parts of gamedev" news, I finally been greenlit to enable Steam Trading Cards in HEADLINER! Not that I care myself, but I recon fellow OCD gamers should be pleased ;p

Slowly getting through the features list for CrossTrix. Trying out sprite sheets for the first time was interesting, as was implementing an actual mouse interface with clickable buttons. Might not sound like much, but when you've been doing every single project you've ever done with keyboard (and sometimes joystick) controls only, the move to a mouse driven interface is interesting.

As this ties in with one of the university units I taught a few years ago called "Human Computer Interaction", which dealt largely with interface design, the switching over to symbols where appropriate rather than using just plan text for everything etc etc. It all adds a new and interesting (for me) design element to try and cater for. And yes I know, the above image does not have any symbols. I'm considering what to have currently. I wonder if my game has that "fun factor" yet. To me it's at least interesting, but then I'm biased as I'm the one developing it. In the unit "Game Design Studio" which I taught last semester we drummed into students the need to ask the "how is this fun?" question when designing a game, and if your unable to answer it, to re-think your design. Much of the primary gameplay so far, revolves around being given your 20 random letters with 3 re-rolls to match letters up with those in the displayed crossword. Whichever player (of 2) has the highest score by the end wins. Quite simple style gameplay. It just lacks that fun factor I think, as much of the game is (just as with the scratch ticket I got the idea of it from) down to random luck with only a small amount of actual player involvement.

On re-thinkings I've come up with a secondary gameplay mode which I'll implement once the game is feature complete. This new mode will work off 2 players working with 1 displayed crossword. They get to reveal 1 letter per turn and the screen will light up the spots where they can pick to place as their spots. Of which they can only place on 3 spots per turn. If they happen to have spots on the left and right of an opponents spot then they absorb that into theirs. So unlike the main mode which just runs off blind luck with a small amount of player involvement, this one will be all about player actions and actual strategy. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    finally been greenlit to enable Steam Trading Cards in HEADLINER!
    I was wondering why I just randomly got three Headliner cards today.

What was the restriction preventing them from working before? Do a certain number of people need to have bought the game?

Level 10,000 achieved

Pogo game development continues...

Art style

I'm considering a pixelart style. Bought Aseprite and started learning how to use it. Look at this adorable Coffee Cat I made!

Hehe, Coffee Cat sure loves that coffee!

Level editor

I'd like for the players to be able to make their own levels, so, although I wasn't initially considering it, I feel like it might be best to use tilemaps. Started looking into the new Tilemap function in Unity 2017 for level creation today. I dunno if I can pull off an entire built-in level editor. Perhaps a viable alternative might be to use Unity as a level creation tool. Players download a unitypackage with the level-tiles/assets, put together a level, export some kind of a package that can be imported into the game on runtime?

If anyone has any suggestions on what would be the smartest way to do a level-editor, let me know, cause I'm out of my element here.

Thumbs up for Coffee Cat, which combines two of my favourite things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    What was the restriction preventing them from working before? Do a certain number of people need to have bought the game?
    There's no restriction. You have access to the cards as soon as your Greenlit. I could have added them to Bipolar if I wanted to. Just never got around to making some. Achievements is another that get straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Thumbs up for Coffee Cat, which combines two of my favourite things.
    Slippers?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Look at this adorable Coffee Cat I made!
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Look at this adorable Coffee Cat I made!

I... wow, that's a really cool Coffee Cat, I must say!

Aseprite is such a great pixel art software. I bought it on Humble Bundle some time ago and rediscovered the joy of making pixel art.

For some reason I suddenly want coffee. That cat o' yours is up to something!

If anyone has any suggestions on what would be the smartest way to do a level-editor, let me know, cause I'm out of my element here.
    Unity doesn't go all the way when it comes to a lot of things. Tile-based 2D games are probably the most common Unity game, yet Unity smiles like Mona Lisa and says: "Make the tools yourself, mate." I can't apologize enough for them. However, there are a few options, and it all actually depends on what you want to do and what your tiles need to be able to do. Are some of them dynamic somehow? Do they need to have references to each other in one way or another? Well, here are some of your options:

1. Use an external software and export into Unity. I recommend Tiled. To bring Tiled's output into Unity, you can use Tiled2Unity. Or you can write your own importer. Tiled exports JSON, CSV and a bunch of other formats. If you want your tiles to have custom behavior or some kind of additional data, like references to each other, then you'll probably need to do that in Unity somehow.

2. Use Unity Editor by placing the tiles as GameObjects (or you'll probably want to use Prefabs at that point). But this is kinda manual work and can get tedious very quickly. You need to be careful with scaling your sprites properly, and placing them using snapping. However, this approach can still have its benefits. It's easier for you to make links between tiles (link button to door, link switch to light, link crank to elevator, etc.) and give them any additional data you need.

3. Write an editor extension for Unity Editor. One cool thing about Unity is that the editor is extensible in a number of ways. Depending on what you want to do and what kind of extension you need for it, this requires an amount of work. But an amount is okay, because if it saves you from an expanse of drudge work, then it's definitely a win. Keeps game development fun.

4. The Unity Asset Store might have what you're looking for! Because everything that Unity lacks can be bought for a very reasonable price. That's why Unity lacks things, innit?

So there you have it. As awesome as Unity is, it really brings the worst in me sometimes. Let it do the same for you and let the devs know it too

Heh, we're all stuck in the past. I don't use Unity's GUI because in v4 it sucked. Steam Trading cards now only activate when a game has enough income; IIRC that change came when Steam Direct replaced Greenlight. Unity has official tilemaps now.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the feedback, Qooper!

Have you seen the tile palette tools in Unity 2017 btw? They seem pretty beefy. Does Tiled offer something that this new built-in system doesn't?

Okay I seem to have missed this awesome new tool in Unity So this came in 2017.x? Upon quick inspection it looks like it has everything Tiled has. Random tiles, rule-based tiles, animated tiles. You can even make custom brushes to draw with prefabs. I'd say there's no point in using Tiled anymore. Finally! It was about time

I still wish they had a prefab editor so you could create and edit prefabs without having to use the scene as a temporary workbench. There are also certain unnecessary shortcomings when it comes to the Unity Editor, like how lists work. Currently you can't easily reorder the elements of a list field, and you can't drag multiple items into a list at once, which can cause a ridiculous amount of drudge work. Still, there's so much good in Unity. I love how much lighter the editor seems compared to Unreal Editor.

Coffee cat looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I was wondering why I just randomly got three Headliner cards today.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    There's no restriction. You have access to the cards as soon as your Greenlit. I could have added them to Bipolar if I wanted to. Just never got around to making some. Achievements is another that get straight away.
    Not anymore! Now, cards are disabled at first and you need to meet certain confidence criteria before valve let's you publish cards. What are those criteria? No one knows! Valve isn't very forthcoming about that, but I figure it's something to do with sales, rating and maybe time out. I had the cards done from the get go, but couldn't enable them till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Qooper View Post
    There are also certain unnecessary shortcomings when it comes to the Unity Editor, like how lists work. Currently you can't easily reorder the elements of a list field, and you can't drag multiple items into a list at once, which can cause a ridiculous amount of drudge work. Still, there's so much good in Unity. I love how much lighter the editor seems compared to Unreal Editor.
    yeah, that's a peeve of mine, but there are a number of Unity editor extensions that supercharge the inspector with features like that.

Do the cards even increase sales at all? I know that achievements can.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Not anymore! Now, cards are disabled at first and you need to meet certain confidence criteria before valve let's you publish cards. What are those criteria? No one knows! Valve isn't very forthcoming about that, but I figure it's something to do with sales, rating and maybe time out. I had the cards done from the get go, but couldn't enable them till now.
    They are probably trying to cut down on cheap "games" that are made just for the steam cards.

Yes:

Instead of starting to drop Trading Cards the moment they arrive on Steam, we're going to move to a system where games don't start to drop cards until the game has reached a confidence metric that makes it clear it's actually being bought and played by genuine users. Once a game reaches that metric, cards will drop to all users, including all the users who've played the game prior to that point. So going forward, even if you play a game before it has Trading Cards, you'll receive cards for your playtime when the developer adds cards and reaches the confidence metric.

The confidence metric is built from a variety of pieces of data, all aimed at separating legitimate games and players from fake games and bots.

[...]

With this change, we hope to significantly reduce the economic incentive for the bad actors to release fake games on Steam. We're hopeful that this will have little negative impact on other developers and players, with a small number of games having a delay before their Trading Cards start to drop. On the positive side, it should significantly improve the quality of the data being fed into the Store algorithms, which is a good thing for everyone.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/593...71077935370845

Yup, that's exactly the reason. I've never been into collecting Steam TCs so wasn't too upset about that. That being said, I'm not sure if it really helped slow down the amount of cheap / asset flip games coming in...

Turned to completely madness, and learning the process of "turning3d scan to game ready model".
    No I didn't buy a scanner, just took the random model from internet. It happened to be this drill. You can see yourself how "strange" the model mesh is. It looks like I'm building completely new model just over downloaded one.

Moderator and Priest
    If you're talking about doing photogrammetry, you will have to retopo at some point. The meshes that outputs are far too dense and messy to be considered gameready.

Page 81 of 118 FirstFirst ... 31364146515661667176777879808182838485869196101106111116 ... LastLast