TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: T2 FM: Being Thief v1.1 (29/05/2011).

Playing Being Thief and the instructions are blank

I've just started replaying Being Thief and my instructions scroll is completely blank. I know it probably has something to do with the ep? but I don't know how to fix it.
    Thanks for any help you can offer

I clicked on "Playing Being Thief and the instructions are blank" in the Thief FM forum and it brought me here!

Edit: when I clicked on the above it took me to the actual release thread for this mission, but after I submitted my post I see that I am in the correct thread. What's happening here?

Never mind.. I see that llanita's post was moved at the same time.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    When you say "instructions scroll", is that a scroll you're trying to read in inventory or do you mean the objectives screen?

It's a scroll in the mission that Garrett needs to read before he leaves his room, in inventory.

Hi john9818a still waiting for your next mission...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Ok. If that scroll doesn't work, it's possible none of the readable items in the mission will work. Have you encountered any others and tried to read them?

No I've just started the mission. Didn't continue till I fix this

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    No I've just started the mission. Didn't continue till I fix this
    Which FM manager you use? I don't know yet what could be the problem, just I'm trying to figure out. Maybe a wrong fm installation?

FMSel. The fm is in the same place as all the other t2 fms. I'm also using EP2 the latest one. I looked in the directory Books, and I can see the ledgers and the books and parchments. When I click on them I can read them. They just don't show up in the mission...at least the first one hasn't shown up, I don't know if the others are ok nor not since I haven't continued playing

FMSel. The fm is in the same place as all the other t2 fms. I'm also using EP2 the latest one. I looked in the directory Books, and I can see the ledgers and the books and parchments. When I click on them I can read them. They just don't show up in the mission...at least the first one hasn't shown up, I don't know if the others are ok nor not since I haven't continued playing
    I do not know what's wrong there . I tried with ND 1.21, 1.22 and 1.23, with and without EP2 and TP, but found nothing wrong, at least in readables.

Does your directory show the books exactly like the one here?:

Ricebug, I don't have a Books folder in my T2 folder. This is what I've got
    [IMG]

The folder I mentioned in my previous post was the book folder in the fm Being Thief. Those are the ones I can read when I click on them in the directory.

Ok I just found a Books folder in my Documents folder! No idea what its doing there. I looked and it has the same files as your image does. Should I just drag that folder into the t2 folder?

There's a note in the folder that I wrote and it says that the books folder isn't needed but I just saved it to docs just in case. I think this happened when I was installing EP. I was having a problem and someone said to remove the books folder from the t2 folder so it wouldn't clash with fms books
    Last edited by llanita; 22nd Jan 2016 at 09:34.

Master Builder 2018
    No, don't put the books folder in your T2 folder. You are using FM Sel. FM Sel does not install FMs into the T2 folder itself. It puts them in a separate FMs subfolder inside the T2 folder. I can see that FMs folder in the picture you posted. Go into that FMs folder and find the Being Thief folder. Inside that, there should be a books folder with the files that are in Ricebug's picture.

Also, I can see in your picture that your T2 folder has other folders in it that it shouldn't, not if you are using FM Sel. You should get rid of the following folders:

Fam
    Intrface
    Obj
    Mesh
    Strings

They shouldn't be in the T2 folder. But if you're nervous about deleting them, you can always just drag them somewhere else, as you did the books folder.

If you're using FMSel the 'books' folder, based on your screenie, should be located at ...\Thief2\FMs\being_thief_v1_1\books. Ricebug uses Darkloader which works differently. So look for it there and if it's not then your Thief2 install is messed up and should be reinstalled as probably the simplest way to fix the problem.

I'm an hour into replaying this classic and all readables are working fine (NewDark 1.23 using FMSel with all the graphical enhancements (EP2, etc) from Tafferpatcher). Some paintings are blank though, but appear correctly if I disable the enhancements (put a semi-colon before the line in cam_mod.ini), which happens with some pre-NewDark FMs.

Edit: yes, do what Tannar says and delete/move those folders and I bet your readables/etc will work again. This happened from using Darkloader in the past with this Thief2 install.
    Last edited by Dahenjo; 22nd Jan 2016 at 10:42.

Ricebug, I don't have a Books folder in my T2 folder...
    Yes yes. You have there a FM installed with Darkloader also, that's a problem. If you want to know which FM is, check "strings/titles.str" file The path to BT readables installed with FM Selector looks like: yourT2dir\FMs\being_thief_v1_1\books\english\ .
    Last edited by Sensut; 22nd Jan 2016 at 11:54.

Ok I deleted all those files.

Also looked where Sensut said and they all show up. I wasn't looking under the english folder, just under Being Thief/books. So I'll go check the mission again and will let you know if that worked.

Just checked...all present and correct! Thank you all so much for your help. Truly appreciated.
    These forums are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Also, I can see in your picture that your T2 folder has other folders in it that it shouldn't, not if you are using FM Sel. You should get rid of the following folders:

Fam
    Intrface
    Obj
    Mesh
    Strings

They shouldn't be in the T2 folder. But if you're nervous about deleting them, you can always just drag them somewhere else, as you did the books folder.
    You can also get rid of the Snd folder and the Microsoft.VC90.CRT.

Having trouble with finding that shed with the "Contract Depository". I take it it may be the building you can walk completely around near my start out back? I can get in the roof but all there is is a room with some machines. Seems to be no way in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

come on.....no answer for a week
    Last edited by Lightningline; 28th Oct 2018 at 16:36.

anyone???

@Lightningline: I think you're in the wrong thread. Looks like you are playing Being Thief 2.
    (aka 'Exile')

Here is some info from Ricebug's walkthrough:

Where is the contract depository? What is it, exactly?

In the mission's beginning, go around back until you find the drunk guard who won't bother
    you. Enter the door next to the guard to find what you're looking for.
    You'll see an open footlocker with a frobbable bottom. To the left, you'll see a shelf with several
    scrolls. Next to each scroll is the payment associated with the particular job. Reading the scroll
    causes the loot payment to become frobbable. Taking the loot binds you to the contract. You can
    take on all jobs at once, or just the ones that interest you.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 31st Oct 2018 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    @Lightningline: I think you're in the wrong thread. Looks like you are playing Being Thief 2.
    (aka 'Exile')
    This is the Being Thief thread and yes its exile "A busy night" mission. Thankyou for your help...if I am indeed in the wrong thread please point me to the correct one and possibly Ricebugs Walkthrough in case I need any help. I found the extra missions...looks like I'm gonna have a busy day. Lots to do.

Being Thief 2 thread.
    (And if you haven't played the first Being Thief mission, you have more good stuff to look forward to...)

Looks like Ricebug's site has been offline for a bunch of days. Here's a thread about that (where you can download a large chunk of them if needed)

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Being Thief 2 thread.
    (And if you haven't played the first Being Thief mission, you have more good stuff to look forward to...)

Looks like Ricebug's site has been offline for a bunch of days. Here's a thread about that (where you can download a large chunk of them if needed)
    I saw that but Cavador has a walkthrough. I have done everything surrounding the spider robot but none of the extra missions because I kepped going the other way to go out back. To me the scrolls are actually beside my start point. Oh well. Looks like I got lots to do. A real treat should be the name of this FM. Thankyou much for setting me on my way. "Here we go" Why is this thread called Being Thief also. Its confusing.

Sensut, I completely forgot about this mission, and it's just fantastic! Thank you!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678