TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Motion Editor 2.0.2 Source Code Released

Motion Editor 2.0.2 Source Code Released

Hello folks, long time, no post!

As there has been a bit of activity recently regarding the Motion Editor, I have decided to release the source code under GPL v3. Please ignore the dirty hacks and dodgy work-arounds; it was still very much a work in progress when real life forced me to abandon its development.

I expect nothing less than to see this program flourish and continue to develop in new and exciting ways!

Wouldn't it be nice if this inspired the release of the Thief and SS2 source? Well... I can dream, can't I?

I wish you all good luck with it, and hope you can achieve everything that I didn't have the time for.

Source code

- W

Keyla the Otter
    Thanks Weyoun .

Now that it's been released, NV can start working on it and improving it. I look forward to finally getting past this directional hurdle when making animations

Now, does anyone know Delphi?

The only thing I could really do with this would be to try to rewrite it in C++, where I'd be capable of creating a simple, rotatable 3D view instead of the three fixed views.

Keyla the Otter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Now, does anyone know Delphi?

The only thing I could really do with this would be to try to rewrite it in C++, where I'd be capable of creating a simple, rotatable 3D view instead of the three fixed views.
    Why not ask Weyoun? He knows Delphi.

But I don't think we'd be so lucky as to find anyone who knows Delphi with all the programming languages that exist today. Most of the DromEd users here probably don't know any Delphi. Why don't you start rewriting it in C++?

or Lua.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I vote for PASCAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I vote for PASCAL.
    Delphi IS PASCAL!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Haha! Shows what I know!

Wow I haven't seen Delphi in stores in over 12 years. I wish I had it and knew it. So far I only know Visual Basic 3.0 from many years ago.

Sorry folks, I just spotted some stuff (x, y and z coordinates of joints) in one of the source files which belong to EIDOS, and which I have no right to licence. I've updated the source to strip these out, and replace them with generic "XCOORD", "YCOORD" and "ZCOORD" placeholders.

You should be able to get the coordinates from the mesh files / .e files yourselves without too much trouble.

Sorry about this, but I really have no right to licence and publish stuff I don't own...

Since the release of the source code in July 2011, have any programmer types tried taking this forward?

Edit: One thing I did notice from a quick scan of the source is that Weyoun had hardwired the joint positions rather than reading them from the mesh the motion is to be developed for. While they are relatively the same for all creatures of the same type, their exact positions are different on each specific mesh, depending on the exact mesh dimensions, not the least of which is how big the creature is. And even these X,Y,Z coordinate values Weyoun decided were proprietary to EIDOS, and pulled them from the source. Which is OK, as it gives a natural place to put a function call to extract the values instead of hardwiring them.
    Last edited by LarryG; 5th Jan 2013 at 10:46.

Stay tuned.
    When I finish my scripts for Max, you will have a proper animation tools to work with. I read the joint and mesh data directly from the CAL and BIN files, so there's no shortcuts/hardcoding there. Multiple characters in one scene will be possible too, in case you want to animate them in a synchronized way (f.e. stage performance, etc...).

PinkDot
    Did you implement the file import from a spec of some kind? Maybe you have made some notes on the format structure? If so, could you share them?

Yes, the structure of these files have been revealed/decoded by a few members of this forum. Plus I made some templates of some dark engine files for 010 Editor (to understand files even better). I plan on releasing these templates, once they're complete, but I can send you whatever I have at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    I can send you whatever I have at this moment.
    Yes please can you upload it somewhere, like rghost.net? I might try to write a Blender exporter, and I'm not sure I can work out the format from the Pascal source. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by podite View Post
    Yes please can you upload it somewhere, like rghost.net? I might try to write a Blender exporter, and I'm not sure I can work out the format from the Pascal source. Thanks in advance.
    I have the files ready for you, but I'm not able to send you a PM.
    As I consider this stuff still work in progress, I'd rather not paste a link to them publicly, just to not spread something which may have errors. (I will make it public later on though).
    Would you be able to activate your PMs or maybe suggest some other form of contact?

PinkDot
    I've enabled email from users in the profile. I hope that will do the trick.