TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Taking the Death Toll
    While I'm partially doing it to avoid burnout and give my arm a rest, I must admit I'm morbidly curious as to why you think it's a good idea.

Finally got around to finishing Fallout 3, about half way through FNV, finished DX3 and fancied some Company of Heroes today, the expansion is much more fun.

Still Subjective
    I still regularly play Company of Heroes MP. Message me if you're on and fancy a match. My username is ObjectiveDefect.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    While I'm partially doing it to avoid burnout and give my arm a rest, I must admit I'm morbidly curious as to why you think it's a good idea.
    For the first reason you gave. Plus I find that you can enjoy the games a lot more if you actually play less, and just play the best titles to come out.

Taking the Death Toll
    Yeah I switched to Megaman 7 for some reason (probably the worst in the classic series, but I wanted to get through it) 'cuz gamepads are easier on my hand.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCToad View Post
    I find that you can enjoy the games a lot more if you actually play less, and just play the best titles to come out.
    Well its quite subjective, but even so; there are loads of good games out there. Play less? You'd miss a ton of stuff.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

verbose douchebag
    I should play less (thesis to write, inflammation next to radial nerve in left wrist making fingers go numb), but my backlog stretches off to the horizon.

Dethtoll, not sure if it is your bag or not, but I can recommend Gratuitous Space Battles. It's all about configuring and setting up your fleet and then just starting the battle and watching it all play out. Highly addictive if you're into it and very easy on the appendages.

Though really, once you get enough pilots: FIGHTER SPAM seems to work on just about everything.

Still entertaining to watch the battles, admittedly.

verbose douchebag
    Yeah, that's pretty much the thing - it's fun to watch. And yeah, excessive fighters will work in most situations, but isn't as fun to watch as other approaches. I'm a fan of super fast frigates loaded with ion cannons coupled with cruisers with long range missile + targeting improvements with fighter repair bays and a mix of torpedo + laser fighters set to "cautious" behaviour. Great to watch.

These days I'm playing Stalker SOC for the first time, just with a HD graphics update.

I'm playing through it really slowly, only to the train station so far. Still need to get back into the habit of quicksaving more often, so I lose a lot of time when I forget for a while & get killed. (I got spoiled by Mirror's Edge auto-saving so much, which I just finished replaying.) Trying to figure out how to sell off all the loot I'm picking up. Like everyone else, I love the atmosphere of the Zone & walking around; if only it didn't have the loading zones.

Edit: Also for the record, I'm still working on the Fukushima nuclear disaster issue a lot these days, and we refer to the Chernobyl experience all the time. So that makes the game have a particular kind of personal relevance. It's hard to imagine sometimes how a total deadzone messes with with people in the region's psyche, and this game taps into that.
    Last edited by demagogue; 20th Aug 2012 at 07:30.

verbose douchebag
    Loading zones? Surely you mean area transition anomalies.

For the first reason you gave. Plus I find that you can enjoy the games a lot more if you actually play less, and just play the best titles to come out.
    I'm not sure how you can know what the best titles are without playing them. I research games as thoroughly as I can before buying them and still find at least 3/4 of those, after filtering out the dross, are still terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I still regularly play Company of Heroes MP. Message me if you're on and fancy a match. My username is ObjectiveDefect.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Well its quite subjective, but even so; there are loads of good games out there. Play less? You'd miss a ton of stuff.
    My friend had a theory that you're more likely to finish a game if you actually pay for it. Many ppl seem to download 5 games a month, maybe more, play them for a day or two then move on to the next download.

I think his idea has some merit, but I think its more down to the quantity of new games acquired as opposed to how.

Level 10,000 achieved

Just got the horse in Darksiders. My feelings about it can pretty much be summed up by this video.

Taking the Death Toll
    That is straight up Shadow of the Colossus-meets-90s comics.

Still Subjective
    So I decided to give SpaceChem a real go after messing about with the Humble Bundle Android version.

This is something else.

How far are you? Spacechem gets absolutely brutal in the later levels.

Splitting my time between Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2. Both are highly derivative, but heavily mashed up. Sleeping Dogs is GTA with Batman:Arkham melee. It's shooting is far weaker then it's fisticuffs though, and the further in the game I get the more shooty it becomes.

Darksiders 2 is clearly from the same design school as Darksiders 1, ie, take a bunch of stuff we like from other games and toss it into a blender. It's great fun, but goddamnit this game needs a run-faster button. Death swims faster then he walks. The Diablo-inspired loot is sort of interesting, but it starts to work against the game because like Diablo, that means most of everything that drops actually sucks.

verbose douchebag
    Finally completed Assassin's Creed after 2 aborted attempts and god knows how many years.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Now to play AssCreed 2

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Dethtoll, not sure if it is your bag or not, but I can recommend Gratuitous Space Battles. It's all about configuring and setting up your fleet and then just starting the battle and watching it all play out. Highly addictive if you're into it and very easy on the appendages.
    Exactly why I hated it . Playing around with stats and equipment is easily my least favourite part of any game.

In my gaming queue, I finished up:
    Hard Reset : Was fun. I too, played it in small bursts, usually on the weekend. Works great in this format.

Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire : Had to resort to a map for the Kotl city, but otherwise had no problems. Classic Ultima, if a bit basic.

Dead Space 2: Fairly good, and engrossing. Died plenty of times, but I triumphed in the end. Constantly regenerating necromorph can go to hell though. As mentioned before, the instant-on "DLC pack" was a pretty crappy decision, however.

Now started:
    Sin and Punishment: Star Successor : Classic treasure action game so far. I should try to dig up a co-op buddy.

Avadon: the Black Fortress : After finishing Savage Empire, I was going to play Martian Dreams next, then replay Serpent Isle. Then I realized that Avadon is fairly similar to the average Ultima game, and I haven't actually played much of it yet. So I just started this on my Nexus 7. I need to replay the tutorial dungeon that I previously did on my Steam version before I can start making actual progress.

Uncharted 3: It's more Uncharted. It's quite good so far. Nothing notable to say so far. I just arrived in France when I stopped playing it last.

EDIT: I also started Rise of the Triad. The Wolf3D engine rather hamstrings the level design a little bit, but the designers obviously did everything they could with the various obstacle sprites. I'm still getting used to the whole "one special weapon" thing. I find myself occasionally ferrying two awesome weapons forward instead of just using one of them up.
    Last edited by Zerker; 20th Aug 2012 at 19:05.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    How far are you? Spacechem gets absolutely brutal in the later levels.
    Only on the second planet but I've seen how complex it can get. It's a good brain workout to be sure.

Thing What Kicks
    Phatose: a tip for for enjoying Sleeping Dogs' shooty bits more is to heavily abuse the bullet-time slide over the top of cover; in that respect it borrows from Vanquish. It's also incredibly effective as a one-hit takedown against guys hiding behind cover, and as a bonus, disarms them giving you their weapon.
    One of the skill tree upgrades also increases the amount of bullet time you get from doing the slide, and it becomes head-pop-a-tastic at that point
    I bought it on Friday and completed it Sunday night, and it was great fun. They really did capture that Hong Kong police movie feel.

I bought Far Cry 2 for 3 on the GOG sale. Wasn't expecting much, but it turns out I'm lots of fun [leaving that mistake right there]. The only really terrible thing I've come across is an invisible malaria death wall. *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Phatose: a tip for for enjoying Sleeping Dogs' shooty bits more is to heavily abuse the bullet-time slide over the top of cover; in that respect it borrows from Vanquish. It's also incredibly effective as a one-hit takedown against guys hiding behind cover, and as a bonus, disarms them giving you their weapon.
    One of the skill tree upgrades also increases the amount of bullet time you get from doing the slide, and it becomes head-pop-a-tastic at that point
    I bought it on Friday and completed it Sunday night, and it was great fun. They really did capture that Hong Kong police movie feel.
    Does bullet time actually help though? I haven't bothered with it since I typically use bullet time to line up an accurate shot, but the guns here just have too much spread for me to think it would matter.

Thing What Kicks
    There's another perk that helps with spread. Basically, bullet time allowed me to pull off multiple headshots with a pistol in quick succession, and that was playing on a 360 pad. With mouse & keyboard, it would have been easymode.

Rather annoyed with Deus Ex: The Missing Link DLC. It's an okay enough addition to the game, but I've just run into a bug where a door to a biometric scanner doesn't open when it should - the button working it simply doesn't do a thing. Looks like I'll have to start from scratch. Not sure whether I'll do so now or whether I'll play something else instead.

Page 101 of 533 FirstFirst ... 51566166717681869196979899100101102103104105106111116121126131136141146151201351 ... LastLast