TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Sure I wish it were a little more open like the first
    The Detroit hub isn't any smaller than anything in DX1 is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    The Detroit hub isn't any smaller than anything in DX1 is it?
    It may not be physically small, but it is pretty choked and urban without much in the way of side-streets and alternate routes, as opposed to the wide open area of Liberty Island or Hell's Kitchen in the original.

Actually I'll get back to you on that since I'm playing it right now.

I didn't mean open in terms of size though, more in terms of the different directions you can take, but that was just coming from the intro bit and the first mission. But honestly it's still too premature for me to say anything really.

Edit: Ninja'd, yeah, and what catbarf said too.

Edit2: Thanks for the tips people BTW. Probably stuff I could have figured out myself, but I just felt like posting and it's nice to get responses.

just got to the 3rd boss in DXHR, Namir i think it is. I have the biochip, and have pretty muchbuilt a stealth kinda guy, I'm just like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Since everyone seems to love Borderlands 2, I thought I'd finally give the first game a spin, having bought it during one of those Steam sales.

My first impression: I think I may just have found the first game that I'll stop playing due to the FOV. Seriously, WTF were they thinking? I obviously went to check out .ini fixes, but it seems that it's quite a hassle with the Steam version. Unless I find an easier fix I might just give this one a miss - I love the visual flair, but my first impression was pretty meh (although that's largely due to the nausea-inducing FOV).

The co-op is where the game really shines, I found it quite boring playing single player

For the last few days I was playing through Black Mesa (as I mentioned over in the thread for it). I've since moved onto Disgaea on ps2. I played this game a few years ago and despite really enjoying it got side tracked since the game requires a MASSIVE time investment to do everything in. 2nd time round I'm hoping to do better. Very good game.

Level 10,000 achieved

two games with Black in the title

Finished Black Mesa and Project Black Sun. Both were great. Tried another game I got in the IndieFort bundle: Three Dead Zed. The artstyle is cool, reminds me of Earthworm Jim. But the gameplay doesn't feel very tight. It's been made with Flash and it feels like it. The story isn't very interesting either. Also it only runs in Windowed mode and doesn't detect my 360 gamepad despite claiming that it should do so. I played about 10 missions and I don't think I'll be going back to it.

Up next? Hmm... I think Black Mesa has given me an odd craving for first person shooters that look modern but feel 90's, so I'm guessing it's about time I installed Duke Nukem Forever.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE PLAYING HALF-LIFE NOW?

Taking the Death Toll
    i bet he hasn't even played thief

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'll have you know I played the entire first half of Thief!

Taking the Death Toll
    WHICH THIEF

NO POINTS FOR THIEF GOLD, 2 OR 3

I bet he thinks Quake is the noise made by a duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Since everyone seems to love Borderlands 2, I thought I'd finally give the first game a spin, having bought it during one of those Steam sales.

My first impression: I think I may just have found the first game that I'll stop playing due to the FOV. Seriously, WTF were they thinking? I obviously went to check out .ini fixes, but it seems that it's quite a hassle with the Steam version. Unless I find an easier fix I might just give this one a miss - I love the visual flair, but my first impression was pretty meh (although that's largely due to the nausea-inducing FOV).
    Since a lot of folks will probably be doing the same, I don't understand why 2K and Gearbox don't . . . well, you know, fix Borderlands 1? Finally?

I don't see why they can't go back and fix the first game. Particularly after going to the effort of making sure Borderlands 2 on PC wasn't the same disaster. If bean counting is their primary concern, now is the time to do it since the first installment will likely see a spike in sales.

I really don't get these stupid attitudes from publishers, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    It may not be physically small, but it is pretty choked and urban without much in the way of side-streets and alternate routes, as opposed to the wide open area of Liberty Island or Hell's Kitchen in the original.
    Hell's Kitchen is just a big circle with two buildings in the middle.

Almost finished with Black Mesa...very enjoyable, although it has its' various imperfections. Further commentary will be found on the Black Mesa thread once I finish.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Hell's Kitchen is just a big circle with two buildings in the middle.
    Yeah, really, what the fuck? DX1 was my #1 favourite game for 10 years but let's not start making shit up.

You're right, I was thinking the side areas like Smuggler's were part of the main map. Still, maybe I'm just thinking with rose-tinted glasses but I thought the Detroit hub in HR was a little more artificial in design. The architecture of the streets, the very narrow paths you could take, felt very forced and game-y, if that makes any sense. DX may not have been very flashy but the Hell's Kitchen/Battery Park/Liberty Island maps always struck me as places that could actually exist, not just backdrop levels for a game.

Yeah much of it could be a matter of presentation. I'm getting the vibe like the streets & alleyways in DX:HR were made for me just to wander through too, crates or destinations a little too conveniently placed, challenges or destinations lined up a little too much in a row, as opposed to more open streets that don't care and I have to find which place to go to next. It's not a big deal anyway. The original didn't have in-game conversations like this and the AI & fighting were clumsier. I'm having fun so not complaining.

Taking the Death Toll
    PC GAMING IS DEAD

That's true catbarf but I think people tend to over-glorify DE1 a bit. At least the cities actually seem lived in in DE:HR.

While I wouldn't frame it in terms of more or less real or lived-in, I was somewhat disappointed by the feel of the city hubs in DX: HR. They felt pretty cramped to me, and I missed the more open spaces that the original Deus Ex offered every now and then. Still, in terms of the world the game creates it made sense for the HR hubs to feel claustrophobic, but it would've been nice to have one or two more open spaces (along the lines of Liberty Island the outside of Area 51).

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    PC GAMING IS DEAD
    Laughing.out.loud, trope's so smooth it goes down like a smoothie.

verbose douchebag
    I think it's the old nostalgia goggles. When I played Deus Ex back in the day, that type of game didn't really exist in any kind of prevalent sense, so the "wow, this is fucking amazing" reaction was time-stamped into my perception of it back then and that feeling obviously gets re-triggered as nostalgia when I play now. DE:HR can't stack up to that because it is not pushing any innovative game-play, but if you sit and analyse them side-by-side, the latter game is superior in many ways. I just can't enjoy it as much because it isn't textured by the sense of wonder that is churned up by playing the original.

[EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE-POST] Exciting new games need to stop happening pronto. I'm trying to finish a PhD and Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3, XCOM and Dishonoured are being real dicks about vying for my upcoming time. I think they need to put a hold on everything for a bit.
    Last edited by faetal; 20th Sep 2012 at 09:49.

verbose douchebag
    Ermagherd Berdlern Terrrrrr!

(I'm a little excited - I thought it was released next weekend. I had it pre-loaded too!)
    Last edited by faetal; 21st Sep 2012 at 16:01.

Page 109 of 526 FirstFirst ... 9596469747984899499104105106107108109110111112113114119124129134139144149154159209359 ... LastLast