TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 526 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516212631364146515661111261511 ... LastLast

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Edgar Wright made two terrific satirical takes on genre films in a row... then he made the turgid Scott Pilgrim. What the fuck happened?

Instead of a worthy successor to the Cornetto series, we received what felt like a Special Olympics version of a Michel Gondry film. Filled with severely under-developed, unlikeable, assholish characters who you couldn't relate to; terrible pacing (oh god, especially the 3rd act); and fight scenes which were utterly soulless, mind-numbing and crushingly dull (they were akin to the action scenes from the dreadful FFVII: Advent Children).
    Scott Pilgrim- comic, game, movie- rules all ass forever and you will shut your fucking whore mouth.

The Alchemist
    I beat Deus Ex: HR twice. The second time I made sure to hack every computer every security lock in the game, I just explored every last bit of the world down to the most mundane detail. I went back and traversed every alternate path, I spoke to every npc and did every sidequest. I saved you know who this time, and I didn't get that upgrade... By the time I got to the end I had twice as many aug updates as I did the first time. Also, having realized Typhoons potential, I made sure to get that, and it made every boss fight easy like God mode on the hardest difficulty... However, I'm still not satisfied by the games length. I thought about playing it again using a different tactic but I don't know, tranq darts and such are actually easier to use than the lethal approach. One shot from the tazer takes anybody down, and same with the tranq rifle. I wish the original Deus Ex ran on OSX, I'd really like to replay that...

Edit: I just found that there IS a Mac version of Deus Ex. Now to see if I can find a torrent... (hey I paid for the original goddamn it). Edit edit: It's not for Intel Macs.
    Last edited by The Alchemist; 20th Sep 2011 at 15:48.

I finished Sands of Time and Undead Nightmare and I'm taking a break from Arma 2 for a while. In the meantime I've got started on Titan Quest (my first time) and am enjoying it. In terms of feel and flow, it's very Diablo 2 (or at least the way I remember D2), much more so than any of the other action RPGs I've played. I'm not finding it quite as addictive, perhaps mostly because it's not as generous with rewards, and the game could do with more diverse enemy types, but it's lovely to look at and a good enough game for a quarter of an hour.

I also started playing Dead Nation, one of the freebies resulting from the PSN fiasco earlier this year. It's okay but I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I might move on to a different, more story-driven game, though. I've also been playing the FIFA 12 demo and enjoying it, although I suck at virtual football.

Has anyone got an opinion on the other games in this pack: Steam Midweek Madness Indie 2D Bundle?

I want bit trip runner. I know it is tenbux for all this stuff but if the other games aren't worth it, I may just wait until bit trip runner is on special for nada

Chakat sex pillow
    Bit.Trip runner is a brilliant, aggravating, joyous, frustrating, and overall amazing, rage-inducing Cannabalt-on-the-Atari-with-some-of-the-best-chiptune-tracks-ever-made-for-a-game game.

NightSky is your typical Nifflas game: an atmospheric, calm, and lightly puzzle-y game about balls.

NyxQuest is similar-ish to Trine but with less charm and based on Greek myth instead. Decent if not spectacular.

World of Goo... is, well, World of Goo. It heralded our recent indie explosion from a couple years back; I like it, but don't love it enough to play it to completion. It's fun, but can be maddeningly irritating at times. Also, it's the second game about balls. Gooey ones this time, though.

Swords and Soldiers - no idea, ain't got it or played it.

I'd say it's worth the tenner for Runner, NightSky and Goo, if those stoke any of your fires.

Cheers Sulphur. I did kind of get the impression that these were balls games. Oh, other thing is, I have goo (not played it). I dunno. I might wait it out. My Steam backlog is just getting bigger by he week. :/ Damn all these deals, I am such a sucker for them.

I have to finish super meat boy anyway - I guess bit trip runner will have to wait!

Taking the Death Toll
    So last year a friend of mine was at a Gamestop and overheard some dude trading in Fallout New Vegas 3 days after it was released say "I WANT TO SHOOT NIGGAS, NOT READ."

Well I'm kind of in that particular space right now so... Deus Ex done? Let's play FEAR and fuck some shit up. I just made it to Armacham.

I will probably be hopping into Fallout 2 after FEAR 1, 2 and 3 are done... I just need to shoot things for a bit.

You could always play the new Warhammer 40k game. All that game is, is shooting.

is Best Pony
    And hacking.

Chakat sex pillow
    @Vern: Yeah, I'd say wait for Runner to go on sale or something, just NightSky and Runner isn't the best reason to get that package.

I'm currently in the middle of Alice: Madness Returns, Bastion, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The graphics in Alice are pretty, the combat's surprisingly meaty, and the game's chapters are really way, way too drawn out and unexciting. But pretty. Apart from that, Bastion's great if slightly shallow in terms of combat mechanics, though I know it's going to get varied up but quick once I get some shrines. And HR is... HR. Taking it slow and relishing each moment of it so far.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 21st Sep 2011 at 06:36.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    You could always play the new Warhammer 40k game. All that game is, is shooting.
    The PC version of Space Marine is pretty cheap if you shop around.
    http://www.365games.co.uk/pc-games/w...0-space-marine
    http://www.g2play.net/store/Warhamme...Steam-Key.html
    http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/W...-KEY-SCAN.html

is Best Pony
    Out of interest, how dodgy are those last two shops? I was looking at ShopTo, which is about 4-5 more but seems a bit more reputable?

I'll give Eva credit. He has never recommended a dodgy retailer to me or anybody else to my knowledge.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I've made about 3 purchases (Diablo 2 + LoD set, FEAR 3, Homefront) from G2Play and have had no problems, all keys activated fine (on Battlenet and Steam respectively) and none have been revoked thus far from my accounts to date. Their customer service is quite good I've found. Reportedly they occasionally send out dud keys, but just pop them an email and they can replace it easy or issue a refund.

I haven't used CJS myself, but they do have a good reputation amongst many punters.

Why are the prices so low? CD key e-tailers often source retail copies of the games intended for poorer markets and/or ones where piracy is rife.

EDIT: Relevant quote that I made on another forum.
    Think about it, they've been around for a good several years now. They're selling CD keys of games from major publishers, if they were illegit, do you really think that they'd still be around?

Also stow the tinfoil hat alarmist nonsense. Valve wouldn't lock your Steam account for having a regionalised game license intended for a poorer and/or piracy rife market, at most they'd just revoke said license from your account. Valve will only crackdown on such CD keys if the game's particular publisher pushes for it, a lot of time they don't seem to care. If that happens, just contact the CD key store you purchased your key from (reputable ones like G2Play or CJS at least) and either request a new key or a refund, it's quite simple.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 21st Sep 2011 at 09:02.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    I beat Deus Ex: HR twice. The second time I made sure to hack every computer every security lock in the game, I just explored every last bit of the world down to the most mundane detail.
    Did you happen to go back and recheck the computers you'd hacked earlier when returning to Detroit? A few of them have security back up on them again when you come back.

is Best Pony
    Yes, apologies as I didn't quite mean that the way it came out on the page. Never meant to suggest that you would personally recommend anything untoward!

That G2Play offer is quite tempting; I'm a bit torn on whether to just go for it or wait a bit in the hope that one of the collector's editions will drop in price before long.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    That G2Play offer is quite tempting; I'm a bit torn on whether to just go for it or wait a bit in the hope that one of the collector's editions will drop in price before long.
    I wasn't aware that there was a CE of Space Marine, I googled that and it seems quite nice.

Ask yourself the question, if you bought the game now would you play it immediately or would it rot for a bit in your gaming back log? Should be easy to reach a conclusion from there.

is Best Pony
    But I want it, and I want it now!

/Veruca Salt

Playing The Beast Within. It's as fun as I remember. Exceptionally good writing for a video game, you can tell Jane Jensen comes from a literary background. I believe this is one of a very few FMV games done right, most of them weren't very good. The gog.com version removes the interlacing from the video sequences so it looks a bit better than it used to. Acting is above average for a video game, not Oscar-worthy but no one is terrible either. Gabriel is kind of a douche but in a fun way. I'm glad the Germans are being played by actual German actors, no fake accents here. I noticed during the opening credits that they had employed a casting agency, it really makes a difference having professional actors acting out the parts instead of members of the development team like so often happens.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was that all the journals by ancient German people were all written in English. I would have liked it more if they were in German like they would have been (and Gabriel/Grace having to find a translator), there's no reason for these 19th and 18th century letters and journals by German people to be written in English.

Also, the days don't match up. Gabriel spends a day in Munich, sends a letter to Grace in America, that should take a few days to reach her, Grace flies a plane to Germany, arrives in the evening, spends the next day in Germany, sends a package to Munich at the end, that should also take a day to arrive there. When we return to Gabriel he wakes up the next morning and picks up the package. What has he been doing all those days? Did he just chillax at Huber's farm? In game-time only a day has passed and that doesn't make sense.

Finished two chapters out of six. A bit weird that gog.com plays the DOS executable with DosBox instead of using the Windows executable that the game also had, and I was a bit worried that my aging PC wasn't going to achieve a good framerate in DosBox, but thankfully there are no slowdowns, stuttering or frame skipping as far as I can tell.

Just finished up Lonesome Road for New Vegas. It's stronger then Honest Hearts was, but weaker then Dead Money and nowhere near Old World Blues. Falls into the same trap HH did - they spent a lot of time building up a character, only to have it fizzle out at the end. The diplomat resolution isn't quite as laughably bad as the one from Fallout 3, but it's certainly no conversation with the Master. And the combat in the game just isn't solid enough to make an epic battle with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Playing The Beast Within.
    Finished two chapters out of six. A bit weird that gog.com plays the DOS executable with DosBox instead of using the Windows executable that the game also had, and I was a bit worried that my aging PC wasn't going to achieve a good framerate in DosBox, but thankfully there are no slowdowns, stuttering or frame skipping as far as I can tell.
    Not necessarily a bad thing. While dosbox runs fine on Win7, my experience is that no win 3.1 executable will no matter how much you tweak it.

Just started Siren Blood Curse, my first survival horror game since Silent Hill 3. (I'm not counting Resident Evil 4 since I failed to get into that one and ended up racing through the story with a trainer just so I could see the set pieces.) It's not my genre, all in all, but I do like the atmosphere. Fantastic sound work, especially.

I would call Resident Evil far more action than survival horror compared to the previous games anyway.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Sep 2011 at 05:16.

Taking the Death Toll
    paging 242 to lecture us all on what survival horror really is

(it has to be japanese or it doesn't count)

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post

(it has to be japanese or it doesn't count)

I've been saying that japanese surhors (games) are generally the best out there for now, and also they do them in larger quantity than anyone else, that's all.

Page 11 of 526 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516212631364146515661111261511 ... LastLast