TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 532 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671121271521 ... LastLast

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

dethtoll automatically hates games which take their inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft fiction.

Taking a break
    I tried playing Dark Sector a bit today, the game I got from Steam during the secret game exchange draw thing.

"UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..."

That's about it for first hour-two of the game. Thank god it will tarnish my Steam profile forever...

Level 10,000 achieved
    BOUT TIME that you got around to playing the LOVELY GIFT I GOT YOU

Do let me know what you think of it if you decide to stick with it.

The Alchemist
    My roommate caught on and now she randomly beats on my door/busts in screaming. I've had three heart attacks so far.

Edit: Just got passed the water chase scene. Holy fuck. I need a new pair of pants.
    Last edited by The Alchemist; 19th Oct 2011 at 16:44.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    dethtoll automatically hates games which take their inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft fiction.
    Depends on how much inspiration. Lovecraftian themes I have no problem with, but anything that is basically straight out of a Lovecraft story itself? Get out. Seriously, there's a hundred trillion and one ways to do cosmic horror, quit using the same old tropes over and over.

It's got atmosphere in spades but generally isn't actually fun to play. It's yet another straight Lovecraft rehash because Frictional is creatively stagnant, with a bunch of terrible design decisions, such as the sanity effects. I hated the night vision in Penumbra- unrealistic and badly done. But now I take a penalty just from hiding in the shadows (nevermind the fact that hiding in the shadows is apparently the whole point)? Sanity effects have never ever been done will and IMO they never will, and it's really obvious the sanity effect in Amnesia is only there to keep players from abusing the night vision. Here's a fucking brilliant idea, Frictional: don't give players unrealistic night vision. It's a shitty gameplay mechanic to fix a shitty gameplay mechanic. And even without the sanity effects the gameplay is unsatisfying and more of a hassle than anything else. I was too busy being pissed off to be scared. I mean, you can't even really defend yourself. What kind of unbelievable pussy can't even grab a nearby crate or something and throw it? Maybe he goes insane because he knows how fucking stupid the monsters look.

Oh, and the characters are, true to the game's Lovecraft roots, uninteresting.
    Last edited by june gloom; 19th Oct 2011 at 18:05.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Well back playing Rage since the SWTOR beta ended on Tues. Man, that game is fussy when it comes to system resources. It hitches like a mother fucker when I'm downloading files off the web in the background (simple direct HTTP downloads at that, not torrents).

Might be a different story find I had a quad core and 8GB DDR3 or something, but that's just a guess.

The Alchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Depends on how much inspiration. Lovecraftian themes I have no problem with, but anything that is basically straight out of a Lovecraft story itself? Get out. Seriously, there's a hundred trillion and one ways to do cosmic horror, quit using the same old tropes over and over.

It's got atmosphere in spades but generally isn't actually fun to play. It's yet another straight Lovecraft rehash because Frictional is creatively stagnant, with a bunch of terrible design decisions, such as the sanity effects. I hated the night vision in Penumbra- unrealistic and badly done. But now I take a penalty just from hiding in the shadows (nevermind the fact that hiding in the shadows is apparently the whole point)? Sanity effects have never ever been done will and IMO they never will, and it's really obvious the sanity effect in Amnesia is only there to keep players from abusing the night vision. Here's a fucking brilliant idea, Frictional: don't give players unrealistic night vision. It's a shitty gameplay mechanic to fix a shitty gameplay mechanic. And even without the sanity effects the gameplay is unsatisfying and more of a hassle than anything else. I was too busy being pissed off to be scared. I mean, you can't even really defend yourself. What kind of unbelievable pussy can't even grab a nearby crate or something and throw it? Maybe he goes insane because he knows how fucking stupid the monsters look.

Oh, and the characters are, true to the game's Lovecraft roots, uninteresting.
    I can appreciate your concerns, but the way I see it, I havent had a game of this type in forever. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, not being able to attack the things adds to the helplessness and fear it creates. It might not be the most interesting character design (the enemy) but I'm definitely no less scared of them after seeing that pic.

The game is very blatantly HPLC though. Like, to a t.

Taking the Death Toll
    I've always felt that helplessness and fear is enhanced if you DO have a gun and it's not enough. Being totally powerless from the start is not the same as having what little confidence you have destroyed.

I don't think I've ever been genuinely frightened by a game (it's a goddamn game) but Thief 1, System Shock 2, Penumbra Trilogy, and Amnesia are as close as anything has come to feeling genuinely creepy to me. They're all first-person "immersive sims" with incredible/atmospheric world design and the occasional feeling of helplessness. I think if someone took the HPL engine, kept the puzzles/stealth/inability to fight back, and added a narrative with more player agency (i.e. Black Isle/Obsidian style) and slightly more open levels (a city, a forest, whatever) I would actually stop playing anything else.

While I love the hell out of Stalker, Far Cry 2, BioShock, etc, the one area where those games all fail for me is in having an effective way to defend yourself. All 3 games have incredible atmosphere (and completely different in each) but there's never a point where I actually feel overwhelmed, or like the best combat option is to run like hell (aside from maybe once in Clear Sky). One of the areas where Operation Flashpoint is, imho, better than the ArmA games is that it frequently makes you feel vulnerable and makes fighting the worst option.

The Alchemist
    I've always felt that helplessness and fear is enhanced if you DO have a gun and it's not enough. Being totally powerless from the start is not the same as having what little confidence you have destroyed.
    Well the thing is I dont really know of any sort of mechanic that works like this. And if I'm given a percent of chance, I'll fucking rock it till I get it. Also, having a gun is very empowering. It's totally different when you dont have SHIT. Thief for example got really easy once you learned how to melee, even against a lot of guards. Alan Wake was another game that wanted not to give you guns per se, but ended up just reverting to some gimmick. I dont know if its because they couldnt get it worked out or if its because they sold out on the idea.

If I know I cant defend myself except but to hide, I am scared of the enemy. If all I have is a stick to fight them off, I will fucking fight them off with said stick and I will MAKE IT FUCKING WORK. And if it doesnt work I'll die in glorious battle. Please tell me of a game that properly gives you weapons but then scares you with their ineffectiveness?

Also, on point.
    Last edited by The Alchemist; 19th Oct 2011 at 20:02.

Taking the Death Toll
    Well it's like I played Shattered Memories recently, feeling it deserved a 2nd chance. And most of it was a good game. But the nightmare sequences were horseshit. It's like, fuck you, why can't I kill you, why can't I even really throw you off very well, get the fuck out of my way, oh I'm fucking lost, oh here we go died again for the 5th time in a row, wait, I've run 5 minutes and now I'm back where I started, what the fuck is this shit, why is my guy such a gigantic blubbering pussy that he can't even defend himself in any way shape or form and just goes BLUHBLUHBLUHBLOO as the same stupid enemy over and over and over humps his back afsdlfjal;dfjal;dfjkadff

Being completely helpless doesn't scare me. It just pisses me off. And I don't play games to be pissed off. I come here for that.

I really liked Shattered Memories. Yeah the nightmare sequences were a bit meh, but I didn't get angry at them. Mostly just frustrated. The tension was thick, but it mostly devolved into trial and error which is rarely awesome.

That said, I bought Missing Link DLC for DX: HR. Man, it is quite a bit more difficult than the vanilla game. I'll post impressions when I am more than 30 mins. in.

Is it possible to play Missing Link as an integral part of the story or are you only able to launch it as a standalone expansion?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Missing Link is standalone and accessible from the main menu, IIRC. (Well it technically is part of the main storyline, set in the several days lost before Jensen arrives at the Omega Ranch in Singapore).

Yeah, I know you can play it by itself from the menu, I was just curious if having it installed meant that you could also play it from within the main story.

playin with my dick lately

tons of free DLC

The Alchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    playin with my dick lately
    Must suck to always have to play alone because no one wants to coop with you.

Yes, dear god yes. That's what I've argued (albeit not as elegantly) in the past. That's why I loved SS2 type horror more than Penumbra type horror (from little I played of it).

The Architect
    Amnesia is puzzle-horror, where it's never about surviving a terrifying situation, but about figuring out what the developer intended you to do to solve a sequence. (So you can then solve a puzzle involving missing gears, again.)

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Amnesia is puzzle-horror, where it's never about surviving a terrifying situation, but about figuring out what the developer intended you to do to solve a sequence. (So you can then solve a puzzle involving missing gears, again.)
    So did you plan on making it sound like an extremely stupid idea or does it just come out like that naturally?

The Architect
    I intended it to sound like the level designer is peeking over your shoulder, snickering, asking, "Are ya scared yet? Are ya? Isn't this scary?" over and over.

Taking the Death Toll
    Sounds about right.

The problem with giving you a gun but it's not enough is that while in theory it should work, in gaming terms it often just results in

"WTF!! This is bullshit!!!
    *dies* *reloads*
    "AGAIN! FUCK YOU, MONSTER!"
    *dies* *reloads*
    "OH FOR FUCKS..WHY EVEN GIVE ME A GUN IF THE GUN DOES NOTHING!"

because people playing games are more conditioned for "you have gun, point gun at monster, monster dies": if the gun doesn't do anything, you first think "maybe I missed?" so you try again. Next might come "maybe I'm aiming at the wrong bit?" so you try headshots, and die again. It would probably take me a decent number of attempts before I accepted that the gun was geniunely useless, and then I would be really quite annoyed that they wasted my time making me use the fucking thing in the first place.

If you're going to include a gun at all, it generally needs to be just enough: so able to kill things but clearly (generally via ammo scarcity) not necessarily always the best line of approach. SS2 did this relatively well by including both ammo scarcity and weapon damage, so often avoiding combat by just pegging it away was a better option than gunning it out. Another option is demonstrating that the gun works (maybe letting the player kill some small crap monsters) but not against bigger monsters...but this is tricky to convey. I always quite liked stalker in this respect (at least with various monster-spawn adding mods on it), in that certain foes were pretty much "O SHIT I DON'T HAVE THE STUFF I NEED TO TAKE IT DOWN...HIDE/RUN!", but you knew that if you DID have the right stuff (ok, generally just lots of the big frag grenades) you'd be able to take them out. The concept of "right now, this is not a battle I can win" was conveyed quite well.

TL: DR version is that "survival horror + gun" is a whole different experience to "survival horror - gun" and you really need different approaches for each. Probably. Based on personal opinion, obv (though going by alchemist's post I'm not alone).
    Last edited by DDL; 20th Oct 2011 at 05:42. Reason: fuck you, automatic smily

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Morons play videogames too
    Indeed, unfortunately personally I don't give a shit.

My problem with Amnesia's lack of a weapon is that it's just illogical. The game tries to come up with an excuse, but said excuse is so pathetic is barely worth considering(You read in a letter to yourself that you cannot fight the EVIL POWAHS). Anyone in the protagonist's situation would immediately grab a hammer, knife, or even a fucking broom "just in case".

Page 21 of 532 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671121271521 ... LastLast