TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    I remember playing a Tyranid mod for DoW1 and DoW2 never clicked for me despite having 'Nids.
    Was more meaning a full on expansion with singleplayer content based around them.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Played the first section of Tacoma last night, courtesy of the Humble Trove. The game it reminds me of the most is the VR-title The Final Hours, which was a similar unstuck-in-time piece-together-the-story experience. Tacoma is slightly more hands-on than that one tho, with more interactible objects and even a few, light, probably-optional puzzles. So far I like it a lot.
    Last edited by henke; 8th Mar 2019 at 02:45.

Chakat sex pillow
    This might be damning Tacoma with faint praise (though I did make a thread about it, so maybe that evens it out), but it's a nice follow up to the Gone Home school of thought, and its core conceit of interactive theatre with a rewind-at-will function that helps you follow the thread of each individual's actions in the wider tapestry of the story is kinda beautiful. I wish it had more urgency/story conflict and, for lack of a better word, flavour, but that's me taking the unfair tack of reviewing what isn't there. What is there is a nice enough story that I had a decent time with.

Gone Home and Tacoma convinced me that I like "walking sims", and every other walking sim I've played has convinced me otherwise. Tacoma was pretty brilliant, I especially loved how all of the conversations would start off in separate areas then come together then spin off into separate areas so you'd have to play the logs repeatedly and wander around the station to hear everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    I much preferred DoW2's moment-to-moment gameplay in single player, with it playing like something more akin to Ground Control mashed up with WC3's hero concept. But I wish they had kept the Risk-style strategic map they introduced in Dark Crusade and expanded upon in Soulstorm, which while it didn't review as well as Dark Crusade, I remember preferring.
    There was a stripped down, anaemic version of the strategy map in vanilla DoW2. But then they completely abandoned it, settling instead for a more linear, narrative driven mission structure. I found that a massive shame. Soulstorm was a fantastic WH40K sandbox, and I would have loved to have gotten more of the same, but with DoW2's combat.
    DoW2 is great in co-op too. I just haven't gotten further because the game crapped out and was refusing to launch a mission for me and my co-op buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Gone Home and Tacoma convinced me that I like "walking sims", and every other walking sim I've played has convinced me otherwise. Tacoma was pretty brilliant, I especially loved how all of the conversations would start off in separate areas then come together then spin off into separate areas so you'd have to play the logs repeatedly and wander around the station to hear everything.

You might like Hitchiker. It's a great "sitting in the passenger seat" sim.

I remember playing a Tyranid mod for DoW1 and DoW2 never clicked for me despite having 'Nids.
    Any chance you've got a picture of your Tyranids? I'm curious now.

Having greatly enjoyed Supergiant's games (often for their style more so than the actual games), I got their roguelike Hades when it came out in Early Access. At first the game didn't do much for me, but now that it's been updated a few times and I've become used to how it plays and how it communicates things to the player I'm finding it quite moreish: one more encounter, one more run, one more skill upgrade. There are simple but effective mechanisms that make me play with the different options, where usually I'd just find one way of playing a game and then doing that for the next dozen hours or so. It's also quite enjoyable to see the game develop, both in small and big ways, and the genre lends itself quite well to Early Access, as far as I'm concerned.

Chakat sex pillow
    With Supergiant's games, I've always found that while some of the individual gameplay elements aren't particularly compelling (Bastion's combat and upgrade Skinner box loop was okay, but didn't particularly stand out in the world of ARPGs; Transistor's tactical brawls could be difficult to parse at times; Pyre's... magical basketball is interesting even if it faces immediate resistance from my brain, as my cerebellum generally rebels at the idea of co-ordinated sport), the entire package of music, art, story, gameplay, and sound design is what transmutes their games into something truly special.

Hades seems like an interesting idea, what with the Sisyphean analogies and Greek culture's rich store of mythology to lend resonance to the underlying structure, but I'm hesitant to try it in EA for the very same reason as above. I'd rather the whole thing comes together instead of being occasionally underwhelmed by components that are blocked off by an UNDER CONSTRUCTION sign.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Tacoma. Yeah, it was great! Played the first few levels of COD:MW Remastered since it's in the PS+ this month. Super high production values and slick shootybangs, I like it! Apparently that wasn't enough wargaming for me since I also installed turn based strategy game Vietnam '65, which I've had in my Steam library forever. Only done the tutorial and post-tutorial-mission yet, but it's not really grabbing me so far.

Also think I might shelve God Of War. I'm in this annoying elevator-bit which I keep failing and I just don't wanna do this any more.

Take a break and play something else, then see how you feel.

When I was playing Hollow Knight there was this one arena challenge that I could not beat no matter how hard I tried. Completely drained me. In the end after a full 6 hours of attempting it, I just gave up and skipped it until later on when my stats and gear were better. Then came back and beat it in 2 attempt. Sometimes you just need to be like "fuck it, I'm done" and move on for a while.

Talking of Hollow Knight: I'm just before the end, and once again I wish they didn't make you fight the Hollow Knight every time before you can fight the Radiance. Sure, the HK is pretty easy, but it still means several additional minutes for each attempt to beat the Radiance.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Take a break and play something else, then see how you feel.
    I don't play GOW very often as it is. It's my current "big weekend game", which I put a few hours into every Saturday or Sunday, but I think I'll uninstall it and reinstate RDR2 in that slot instead.

After 130 hours sunk in since it came out in September, I finally completed Pathfinder: Kingmaker's main campaign last night. Excellent RPG, prickly software. Great character progression, combat and agency, good plotline, exploration and soundtrack. Visuals are ok, the game can show beautiful scens, but spends too much time on dull outdoors and the stylised art direction didn't do much for me.

The game's standout feature is ostensibly the Kingdom Mode, a management sim component which runs on a clock and takes up quite a bit of your time. In actuality, both the CRPG and the management sim parts of the game are interwoven and wrapped around a core calendar which, in conjunction with a rather nebulous network of other variables, will generate events to drive the plot forward like a tree spawning branches along its trunk.

As a general thing, I hate timed quests and I expected to hate all of this too, but I found it to be quite solid, surprisingly. It's a worthwhile concept which gives structure to your progression and a third dimension to your strategic resources - you're not just running on gold and XP, time is an ever-present factor. It has its problems in execution on balance and interfaces, and it can be extremely frustrating at times, but it's a fresh take and does its job as a framing mechanism. Oh, and random encounters, provisions, cooldowns, all of those things designers have tried to wean players off rest-spamming? Yeah, forget about it, Kingmaker's clock is like the aversion therapy scene in A Clockwork Orange.

On the tech side, its seedy reputation is well-earned, the game rolled out a couple of months too early with edges rough enough to cut and enough bugs for service to guarantee citizenship. Now patching a live product is much harder and, while I'm certain the high complexity makes for a QA nightmare, it's clear that Owlcat's processes aren't up to it and it's common for an update to fix two things and break a third. There's also a curious mix to Quality-of-Life features, you have some great implementations (e.g. party formations, area loot, difficulty), others inexplicably missing (edit appearence, gear visibility), and some designs which are downright frustrating (the suspiciously slow walking spead). For what it's worth, the devs have put in a lot of effort to mend their product, even improving load times and distribution, but while my slow playthrough was mercifully free of game-breaking bugs there's still the odd horror story popping up on the forums.

Anyway, I didn't mean to write so much. It's a great game and a mechanically better Infinity Engine successor than NWN, Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity, but if you're interested arm yourselves with patience, both for its clunkier ideas and its technical shortcomings. I just picked up the DLC last night, I enjoyed the novelty of the kindgom mechanics but I'm eager to see how the game plays without them in Varnhold's Lot.

Funny you should point at the company's processes. I've noticed a lot of tabletop companies are absolutely abysmal when it comes to project management skills. Another example was Privateer Press's Warmachine tactics which was almost Big Rigs levels of busted.

Thing What Kicks
    Also Ostriig, while I haven't yet completed Kingmaker, I put a lot of time into it, and while I really have enjoyed it, once turn-based mode for POE2 was released that game completely stole Kingmaker's thunder for me.
    If you haven't played it, I can highly recommend it. It really does feel like a true successor to the Baldur's Gate series, and is nowhere near as bogged down with stuffy lore as the first game.

Gave Spinnortality a go today. I backed this on KS ages ago, but had yet to give it a play. This is a VERY different sort of game to what I play generally. A game set in a cyberpunk Earth, with you setting out to research tech, influence the media and public, bribe governments to allow your products to be sold in their countries etc.

So very much a behind the scenes Illuminati style thing, with the world view looking "Syndicate-ish" minus the missions, and then going mega indepth into the research, media influencing etc etc. Very interesting. I did ok at my first play of it, but lost in the end as I couldn't accomplish some of the missions given by the board. If your into strategy games like this, then this one be right up your alley. For me, there's much to like but I suck at it, so my view is lower for it. But other people would absolutely love this.

There's just so much stuff going on all at once that I couldn't keep up. Need to be managing the sale of your broadening amount of products on sale, control of the media which gains you points to directly influence factors of a country etc, for each and every major block of countries world wide. So much stuff. Even with me sucking at it, I was quite engrossed, playing this for several hours. Easily a game you'd lose yourself in for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Funny you should point at the company's processes. I've noticed a lot of tabletop companies are absolutely abysmal when it comes to project management skills.
    Owlcat Games isn't a subsidiary of Paizo, though, but of some massive Russian IT and shovelware conglomerate, if I recall correctly. I'm sure they're badly understaffed, but they've got a couple of experienced devs so it's been a bit surprising to see even some very basic elements need patching.

Still, Kingmaker's supposedly done well commercially so it's likely to get a sequel, just hope they tidy up their pipelines. If this was their Baldur's Gate, I'm definitely interested in their Shadows of Amn.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Also Ostriig, while I haven't yet completed Kingmaker, I put a lot of time into it, and while I really have enjoyed it, once turn-based mode for POE2 was released that game completely stole Kingmaker's thunder for me.
    If you haven't played it, I can highly recommend it. It really does feel like a true successor to the Baldur's Gate series, and is nowhere near as bogged down with stuffy lore as the first game.
    Already played through Deadfire before Kingmaker shipped, put just north of 50 hours in and I really liked it on the whole, asbolutely loved the visuals and exploration, though the trainreck narrative design also left a bitter aftertaste. I will say Deadfire is a clear improvement over the first PoE in most respects, but relative to Kingmaker turn-based isn't my thing and, apples to apples, I just enjoy the the latter's narrative progression and D&D 3.75 ruleset a lot more.

P.S. I missed this in my earlier post, but if you do go back to Kingmaker and reach the House at the End of Time, please be considerate and do not play past 10pm. You might not hear yourself scream over your headphones, but think of the neighbours.

And just now finished off the final mission of Dawn of War - Dark Crusade, with battle against the Necron's. I'd forgotten how difficult the later missions/maps are in this game. The Elder ones in particular were an absolute pain in the ass, unless you zerg rushed them as soon as you were able + had a few honor units to back you up. That tactic worked wonders on the defense missions as well. The Necron stronghold at least wasn't too hard. Good to have this done. Easily one of the best Warhammer 40K games of all time.

Am I the only one who thinks that 40k would be a great setting for a good CRPG? The setting is so massive that you could do quite a bit even with something generic like a Rogue Trader themed RPG. It would be dark and depressing as hell but that seems to be all the rage these days.

Yup completely agree. I think something set in a Tyranid invasion would be excellent. I'd have said also for within a period of Chaos stuff but that has been done to death in both video games and the vast majority of the 40k books.

Theres an absolute wealth of options for various settings. I think a proper RPG set in the universe would provide a sense of depth only seen in the books, rulebooks and to a lesser extent Dawn of War.

I found the campaign map of Dark Crusade and Soulstorm far less interesting than the story campaigns of the earlier games.

You basically just played the exact same game over and over again, against an AI who weren't particularly smart, with pretty much no story content apart from the unique sections (e.g. strongholds.)
    Constantly having to defend was also really repetitive.

Still loved those games, but the story felt really weak compared to the other entries.

On a story level definitely. The main campaign had quite a detailed story.

Clearly March 15 was the right day to start playing Prey.

Level 10,000 achieved
    BABA IS YOU IS GOOD

Agreed. I've only played the free itch.io version yet, but once I'm done with my backlog and a couple of other things I plan on playing the full version.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that 40k would be a great setting for a good CRPG?
    A Planetside-a-like 40K game would be great.

Marines vs Chaos Marines vs Eldar vs Orcs.

Page 513 of 537 FirstFirst ... 13263413463468473478483488493498503508509510511512513514515516517518523528533 ... LastLast