TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

You try tenderly caressing squishy mortals with claws like that! Something's gotta give. Usually viscera.

Poor squishy angels.

This is an obscure game in an obscure niche, but Gravteam Tactics plays at the best scale for a war sim that I think I've ever played before ... which is to say it's at a massive scale. There's two of them, Mius Front & Operation Star, basically the same game, largely set in the WWII Eastern Front but DLC maps will cover a lot of other obscure fronts (like the Balkans). The map can be like a 20 to 50 mile square, and it basically plays in real (or accelerated real) time over the course of several days, enough for countless skirmishes along the front and the occasional epic all out battle and for the front to really move or be shattered or completely encircled.

You're giving really high level orders for entire columns. But you can still zoom in to individual platoons and soldiers to see how your orders are trickling down to that scale. And it's depth of simulation is pretty cool. If a unit loses its radio guy, a runner will have to be sent to get orders to them, or they're just cut off and you can only watch how they react. If a unit can't be resupplied, they'll start looting the weapons from the enemy and you'll see them using them. It's feels very real and alive and makes Total War games downright arcadish by comparison.

Well I like just being in its world, trying to prepare for the unexpected, watching my poor guys get slaughtered when I make a bad decision but watching in triumph when they muscle through. Now I wish they could do this style for other periods, particularly the US Civil War and Napoleonic Wars, maybe also Korea & Vietnam. I'm really liking its mix of insane scale with little moments of triumph and tragedy.

Uh, I'd recommend it to no one except people that have a realism and depth fetish for war sims. The learning curve is very steep and individual scenarios can take up to 50 hours or more ... I mean when you're in it you're really sucked into it. You can do shorter ones in just a few hours though. If what it says on the tin, what I just described, sounds appealing, then this delivers on it. I can say that much.

Starcraft finished off. Pyrian you were dead on. The Protoss vs Protoss battles were an absolute slog. Harder than the final mission. I remember the final mission being much harder. This time round, I breezed through it, as you have 2 bases from the get go. So resources are not an issue for some time. I still say that the first game is far superior to the sequel, even though that has some nice RPG elements added in. I just prefer the traditional gameplay of gathering resources, building up your base and forces then taking out your opponent. In the sequel many of the missions had gimmicks to them, like needing to keep ahead of a wall of flame etc. Heart of the Swarm was my favorite from the sequel stuff, largely as that has far more traditional gameplay to the other 2.

Ahaha the first time I reached the final mission of StarCraft 1, I pushed some tanks forward early to set up a defense in depth. Little did I know I actually set them up in range of the Overmind! I suddenly won the mission to my total surprise while still exploring the map and building up my bases.

I decided to take a bit of a break from Skyrim VR and get started properly on Subnautica instead, also in VR. (I like to have one long-form VR game going at a time and a shorter, more linear one in parallel.) I'm not far into it, but I'm really enjoying it - the world feels properly immersive and beautiful. However, I will definitely have to go through the encyclopaedic entries on my PDA, because right now I'm dying of thirst and I have no idea what to do about that. No, that's not quite correct: I have plenty of ideas, but obviously I can't just get some water from a tap or walk into a shop and buy a bottle of mineral water...

Water in Subnautica: Right off the bat you can catch bladderfish and stick them in the fabricator, and once you find salt on the ocean floor you can combine that with tube coral samples (smack them with your knife) to make bleach which you can turn into tons of water. Later yet you can build a desalination plant, but that'll take a while to get to.

Subnautica seems like it should be amazing in VR with a good set of headphones. If/when I finally get a VR setup that's likely going to be one of the bigger motivators.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    This is an obscure game in an obscure niche, but Gravteam Tactics plays at the best scale for a war sim that I think I've ever played before ... which is to say it's at a massive scale.
    I love Graviteam Tactics. It's great when in the strategic turn-based map you have a turn where you're holding a whole front, and in the second battle - kilometres off in the distance beyond the playable area - you can see the dead tanks and craters from your previous mission. The world is persistent, and all of the strategic map 'tiles' link up. It's got a great feeling of connection to the world that you don't get in the Total War games.

Also:

I wonder if that's.... Yep, it's all real terrain.

Was choosing between Skyrim and Oblivion. Ended up with heavily modded Oblivion.

Thanks for the tips, reizak! My impression is that Subnautica’s VR version isn’t well optimised, and even with a VR mod that tweaks some aspects it’s clearly inferior in many ways to a bespoke VR game, but being immersed in that sub aquatic world is fantastic IMO.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Stuff wot I been playin:

Yakuza Kiwami - Got this in PS+ some months back, and I've played a bit past the funeral. It's interesting, like a lot of Japanese games are. But I'm not particularly feeling the combat. Or the soap-opera of a story. Or the farcical humor. I like the game world though, but not enough to keep playing.

Rebel Galaxy - Also a PS+ game. Also pretty interesting, and I like it's unique, flat take on space travel and combat, but it's not really grabbing me.

Gears of War 4 - Mainly installed this on my new laptop to see how it would handle a beefy AAA game. Ran and played just fine, until it inevitably froze up 10-15 minutes in, both sessions. Think my laptop might've overheated. Wasn't really digging the game anyway. Uninstalled!

Descenders - Downhill mountain biking game with a roguelite level-structure. I like it a lot!

Clam Man - Adventure game by some local devs. You play as Clam Man who gets fired from his job at the mayonnaise factory and then starts uncovering a conspiracy. It's a funny story.

Picross S3 - I dunno why they call them nonograms, if you ask me they should be called YESYESgrams! LOVE THOSE GRAMS!

American Fugitive - I'm sure you've already seen my thread and deduced that I love it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just finished Clam Man.

Short and sweet adventure game, that still manages to pack in a some solid puzzles, a few laughs, and a lot of personality. It's a good one!

Having played on and solved my water problem, I'm really enjoying Subnautica. It's probably my first proper survival game and I like the way you have to think about oxygen, food and water but you're not constantly working just to stay alive. It's also a gorgeous world to be in, particularly in VR which gives a much better sense of scale: over the weekend I ventured out at night and saw my first alien whales emerging from the murky deep, and it was absolutely awesome and beautiful. I didn't know if those creatures would attack if I got too close, but I just couldn't resist swimming up to them and getting a sense of just how big they are.

Other than that, I also played through the first of the Mankind Divided DLCs, and while it's pretty much generic nu-Deus Ex, I enjoyed it for what it was, namely bite-sized Deus Ex. On to the second DLC!

I liked exploring Subnautica, but the food/water meters were obnoxious enough that I went with the mode that removes the two (but still has Oxygen and damage).

Currently playing through Doom 2. Man they throw a lot of enemies at you in some spots. Far harder game to the first one.
    Last edited by icemann; 28th May 2019 at 05:03.

From what I remember, it was because FPS was still a relatively new concept when the first game came out, so they had to make it far easier than they had intended, because the external playtesters had problems completing even the easiest difficulties.

Guess that explains why I never finished Doom 2. I should do that one of these days.

Honestly? Not really worth it.

All down to the individual. I think its a fantastic game. Just really friggin hard. The archvile's to this day really get the adrenalin going due to them resurrecting enemies (which is quite unique in FPS games) and the flame ingulfing attack they do. Combine that with often being teleported into rooms where you get completely zerged by enemies. Its just crazy at times. Thank fuck for the BFG.

And despite my love for the game, I'd not done a full no cheats play through until 5-6 years ago. In comparison I was quick to play through Quake, Half-life etc. Not sure why. Maybe its due to the high difficulty + I was HEAVILY into the Doom mod scene for decades.

For years, every now and then I'd challenge myself to getting as far as I could in Doom 2 without dying. I'd usually make it to somewhere between levels 7 - 13. In this play through so far I died a dozen times throughout, with level 16 - The Suburbs being the worst offender.

Aah, DooM II. I had a lot of fun with that back in the day. I don't remember it being crazy hard, but, then again, I was 20 years younger then -- and also much less inclined to question the whole premise. Now I would probably not be as motivated to get good at it -- even if my reflexes would be up to par (which they are probably not).

Currently I'm playing Minecraft. I think everyone will agree that it's the best sandbox ever. Don't have much time for playing it on my PC but luckily they have pocket edition for a smartphone. The same sandbox, same bocks but you can play it just everywhere.

I have 10-20 times more hours in Terraria than I do in Minecraft, so no we won't all agree that Minecraft is the best sandbox ever.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyVM View Post
    I think everyone will agree that it's the best sandbox ever.
    It's good and accessible, certainly, but there are definitely games out there that I prefer for sandboxiness.
    Dwarf Fortress probably being the bull elephant in this particular room.

Minecraft is great for sandbox when you add in modding & fan maps. But the modding scene has died over the last several years, and even in its prime, it's always had a pretty juvenile streak.

At this point, I have a very clear image in my mind about the perfect sandbox game--actually several by genre--and I don't think any of them have been made yet. Not the perfect versions yet anyway.

The first would be basically Minecraft in a Skyrim-like world (I guess now I'd say a Kingdom Come Deliverance-like world), which I thought was going to be done with the VoxelFarm Engine, but that never came about. I want to be able to explore some spawned sweeping vista countryside and build a realistic mansion or castle in-game on a hilltop to watch the sunset over my gardens. That could easily jump up to favorite-game-ever status, but we don't have that yet.

The second would be a Dwarf Fortress-like game, glyph based graphics but incredible interaction with the world. In my dream version, you can "cast spells" as actual computer code, so you can literally re-code the game from inside the game as part of the game... That would be sandbox Inception for me.

As for some of the others, one would be a space sandbox. Right now X4 holds that position when the bulk of the current bugs are fixed in 3 or 4 years. But ... it's not quite there yet. I don't know everything that will get it there, but I'll know it when I see it.
    Another would be a Grand Strategy sandbox. The best I have for that right now is Victoria 2, but it's showing its age by now and isn't actually all that sandboxy. My own best game idea was a French Revolution sim, which is basically just a sandbox of Revolutionary Era Paris while the revolution is going on around you, and you can do what you want while it rages ... survive it, exploit it, etc.

But yeah, Minecraft + things like Buildcraft and the other Buildcraft and Alchemy one and -- I can't even remember all their names now -- is pretty good, or was in its prime.

Just finished Observation.

I didn't really know anything about it, its more interactive story than a game, akin to the Telltale games, but I found the writing to be very tight, better than some sci-fi movies I've seen lately. It's fairly short, maybe 3-5 hours, but even so, I haven't played a game for more than an hour at a time in a few years, with this I played it from start to finish.

I'd recommend playing it at night, don't read about the story or anything, just try it out. Zero expectations really elevated it I think.

Still chipping away at AC Odyssey, I skipped syndicate and only played a couple of hours of Unity, it's so refreshing to get away from the old interface with the headache inducing whites and clunky mechanics. Story is kind of meh, but it's fun enough to play for an hour here and there.

Page 522 of 532 FirstFirst ... 22272422472477482487492497502507512517518519520521522523524525526527 ... LastLast