TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 526 of 526 FirstFirst ... 26276426476481486491496501506511516521522523524525526
Results 13,126 to 13,141 of 13141

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Finished off my play through of Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night.

Overall an excellent game, that I'd HIGHLY recommend to fans of Castlevania - Symphony of the Night. Yes I'd have preferred 2D sprites over the 3D used throughout, but meh it's fine, you get used to it. Musically as I've said earlier, the music is not AS good as SOTN, but it's fine. Gameplay is excellent. Absolutely a Castlevania game in all but name. Unlike SOTN, there is a strong hardcore angle to it, which is completely optional, but it's there for those that want to go that path (as I did). Going that path results in getting far better gear, shards etc etc. For me by the time I went on to the final boss, I was decked out that it was all over in minutes. Hell the optional boss battle I'd done prior was far harder.

This game is exactly what I look for on KS. Games you'd not get otherwise. Yes there's more newage style Metroidvania's like Ori and the Blind Forest and in particular Hollow Knight (which was a far superior game), but you don't really get "Castlevania-style" ones any other way. So in that I am very happy, having backed this game, and if Iga ever chooses to launch a KS for a sequel, I'd happily back it. For me, this is one of the KS projects that I'm VERY HAPPY that I backed, alongside Shadowrun Returns, Satelite Reign and Timespinner.

Excellent game. 9/10.

Just finished Rime. What a strange game.

Normally I like my games a bit strange, but I can't decide whether this is good strange or bad strange. Probably something in between, I guess. I think Rime just tries too hard to be deep and meaningful and emotional. It took about seven hours from me to finish the game, and for all that time I was wondering what the heck is going on. There's no dialogue, no explanation who the main character is or where you are, you're supposed to figure everything out by yourself. Of course a lot of it is revealed in the end, in fact there's a pretty cool (but not totally unexpected) plot twist, and some of the story makes more sense now, but I never figured out what those two-legged creatures/machines are supposed to symbolise for example, and why I was probably supposed to feel devastated when one of them sacrificed themselves so that I could get on with my adventure.

So the story was confusing until the very end, and it turned out to be quite interesting indeed, but what about the gameplay? Not so great, I'm afraid. Not that there's much to do, this is more like an interactive story than a game, but it's a shame that the platforming bits and just basic movement in general isn't very fun. There are some simple puzzles and those I actually enjoyed a lot; together with exploring the environments those were my favourite thing about Rime. I also later found out that there are a lot of hidden places and items in the game - usually I'm pretty good at finding any secrets but this time around I missed almost every one of them! It might be interesting to replay this now that I know the story, and I'd like to find some of those secrets, but I think I'll pass for now. Maybe later.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    The further I get in XCOM 2, the more I'm impressed by how well the various systems interact, in particular in terms of balancing successes/encouragement and failures/stressors, both on the tactical and the strategic level. There are a lot of elements in the game that make you feel like everything is just 1-2 steps away from going to hell, but at the same time you're never more than half a minute away from small things going well for you: your research into weapons or armours improves your chances of getting out of a mission without any deaths, a Covert Action gains you an engineer, you come out of a mission with some nice upgrades for your weapons, one or two of your soldiers get promoted and learn new skills. Every time I think that there's no way I can beat the aliens, something pops up telling me that if I'm smart, careful and just a little lucky, this might nudge the odds just the teensiest bit in my favour. And another thing I like is that at least so far it seems that when I make a mistake I realise pretty quickly, so there isn't that dread of doing something and then fearing that it'll bite you in the ass ten rounds down the line.
    XCOM 2 is incredibly good in that regard.

Speaking of, if you like XCOM 2 and have even the slightest interest in tabletop you'd probably love Infinity. The two games have a lot of similar mechanics and Infinity's art design and models are easily the best out of any tabletop game currently on the market.

Games wise I haven't been playing much in the way of games lately. I finally beat MGS V. Since then It's been almost entirely tabletop. Getting back into that has been extremely rough because I live in an area where we have a lot of high level competitive players. In Warmachine they actually have international team competitions where each country sends five players. One of the guys I play with beat the captain of the American team to give an idea of the caliber of players I'm dealing with.

PC wise I've been limited to playing Bloody Palace mode in DMC 5 (when I just need some quick battle action) and I payed a buck for Chip's Challenge on the STEAM sale for some nostalgic puzzle solving.

Now moved onto Far Cry 5.

Pros:

* Good starting bit
    * Graphics look very nice

Neutral:

* Gameplay feels very similar to that of 3 & 4. Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's still enjoyable. I do prefer going solo though, and this game really pushes the co-op and going in with helper NPC angle.

Negative:

* Some graphical bugs, like:

Which as you see, the enemy has his arm stuck in the car, which even after I got in and drove the car a few meters, he still stayed stuck to it. Minor stuff like that. Only early days as I've only put in a few hours so far. Had some enemies run off into the distance for no reason at all, in the middle of battle. Very odd behavior.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I liked the NPC helpers. Reminded me of MGSV. Whenever I'd sneak into an outpost I'd usually have Grace sitting up on a nearby hill with her sniperrifle, ready to let the lead fly if I get spotted.

I'm about to permanently deal with the first of the Chosen in XCOM 2. Yesterday I got started on infiltrating the Assassin's stronghold, this morning I made it to the sarcophagus and got her down to 0 HP. I kinda wish I could've stayed home for another half an hour in order to finish her off, but perhaps I'll have some time tonight before going to bed. It's been a while since I've found a game as moreish as this.

While it's not as addictive, I'm definitely enjoying God of War (I'm probably halfway into the game). I love how it takes the earlier games and tweaks the formula in terms of gameplay, story and characters. And the thwack of Kratos' weapon is great for a bit of catharsis after all the small frustrations and annoyances of the day.

Chakat sex pillow
    RE: God of War's thwacks, the most satisfying part of it for me is the *thwump* of the axe as it returns to Kratos's hand. The perfect physicality of the animation (including the axe quivering to pull free of the surface it's embedded in) in conjunction with the sound design deserve an award.

Also, for something that's always centred on Kratos, I love the surprising sense of scale parts of it give way to. The central hub and the way you get to interact with it reminds me of the best part of God of War 1 - the way you needed to traverse the Rings of Pandora by physically moving the rings. It's a great callback and epic update to that system.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 11th Jul 2019 at 03:29.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Shogo is great. It absolutely nails 80's/90's animu.

I think I'm probably entering the final third of my XCOM 2 campaign. I'm about to pay a visit to the third of the Chosen (in this case the Hunter, in my experience the easiest of the three) and I've just finished building a Shadow Chamber. I also survived my first encounter with a Sectopod thanks to a lucky case of Domination (I was able to nab a Codex and used its next move to cause a Psionic Rift, deactivating the Sectopod's weapons).

I'm still enjoying the game, but I also think it's slowly time to move on to something else, probably a shorter game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I liked the NPC helpers. Reminded me of MGSV. Whenever I'd sneak into an outpost I'd usually have Grace sitting up on a nearby hill with her sniperrifle, ready to let the lead fly if I get spotted.
    The side effect of playing MGS V is that you suddenly want to start stealing shipping containers by attaching balloons to them.

In all seriousness though, trying to do a Fulton extraction sounds fun. Kinda like reverse skydiving.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Besides Dakar 18, the other sim keeping me busy at the moment is theHunter: Call of the Wild (on PS4). This one feels more mainstream-friendly than it's predecessor (F2P game theHunter), but luckily not in a dumbed-down simulation way. Rather they've made it more welcoming by turning it into more of a standard open-world game, with story, lots of characters, missions, and collectibles. I gotta say I appreciate these additions, as it gives a bit of focus to the proceedings, instead of just aimless wandering through the woods. Anyway, the hunting mechanics are still as solid and challenging as ever, and the game looks drop-dead gorgeous.

I see a few other TTLGers have this on Steam as well. How are you guys liking it?

I've not played it, but I have heard it makes for a great walking sim if you ignore all the huntery'n'stuff. And I'm not even joking: that's why I bought it when it was on sale.

I turned off all of the visual assists and it's balls hard to track or kill most stuff. Spent over half an hour on a single moose. You have to actually pay attention to tracks, droppings, wind direction in the grass, etc. Having it all off is a bit difficult, but on is just too much. It'd be nice if there was a happy in-between with some subtle hints, but I'd prefer the difficulty. I followed a bear into the woods, got too close, and the resulting skirmish where he'd hide and then jump out of the bushes at me wouldn't be the same with a magic outline following him.

Yeah, it's pretty decent. I wish more games with dangerous wildlife would learn a thing or two from the AI. They don't just attack or run away. They have a sense of space and safety, and will give warnings. Or, just bolt if they smell you.

Recently, I finished this Adventure game called The Shivah.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Shivah is a good one! My fave Wadjet Eye game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've not played it, but I have heard it makes for a great walking sim if you ignore all the huntery'n'stuff.
    It's certainly very pretty. And getting close enough to get photos of the animals is as much of a challenge as just hunting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I turned off all of the visual assists and it's balls hard to track or kill most stuff.
    Whoa, I'm not quite that hardcore, I leave the assists on, seems like the tracks would be almost impossible to spot without them. I agree that other open world games with hunting could learn a thing or two from theHunter tho. The RDRs and Far Crys already have most of the ingredients required to be great hunting games, but next to theHunter they all end up feeling half-assed. It's like the designers of these games only look to other AAA open-world games for inspiration.

Re: theHunter: COTW, I liked the narration and storytelling, but I turned it off eventually anyway because I typically played its predecessor--and have a mind to play this one--as more of a hiking sim and going after the occasional target more than anything else. And part of the whole point of that is not being told where to go or what to do. I'll probably go through stages of having the narration and missions on and off since I go back and forth on it. I agree it looks great. I couldn't imagine playing without the assists, but I could agree they could make it a little more subtle than large pulsating electric blue orbs. I got used to it from the previous one so don't mind too much.

I'm generally somewhat anti-hunting in real life, certainly for myself (if I ever personally did anything, it'd be wildlife photography) and I have different opinions about it generally. I don't like the commercialization of it or trophy hunting for its own sake (as opposed to an ethos of eating everything you kill, etc.), but I also recognize cases where it should be protected like for indigenous peoples and necessary hunting for population control, etc. But even all that aside, I've always recognized gaming as an outlet for activities, like hunting, that have a culture and history to them that you can tap into in the game that might otherwise be problematic in the real world. Come to think of it, a lot of them have to do with military & guns. I wouldn't fit in the military at all, but I love military sims. And I lean strong gun control, but I love the design and machinery of a well made gun, and am fascinated by their important place in history and the culture. (There's a pure gun sim coming soon that I'd probably like; I believe it simulates the actual mechanics of the gun, you can strip them, etc.) Anyway, contact with nature has always been important to me. I do a lot of hiking out in the mountains here, so this game is another nice outlet for me for that. I recognize the paradox of "contact with nature" and gaming, but it works for me, and I think you all are the kinds of people that can understand what I mean.

Page 526 of 526 FirstFirst ... 26276426476481486491496501506511516521522523524525526